Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
My disappointment with the game that I’ve otherwise had 4 playthroughs of, is you can’t really do some of the roles the tabletop is famous for.

V is basically always a Solo with a high dose of tech skills. There’s no way to be a Rockerboy, a Fixer, a Media Hound, a Techie, a Med Tech or a proper Netrunner, Nomad or Corpo. And I know that’s sort of the rub with these games based on tabletop RPGs is that they’re never as deep or varied as their pen and paper sires but, I dunno maybe we should have been able to keep Jackie and T-Bug (and later Goro) as our party. Or Judy, Panam, Kerry and River should have all been recruitable squaddies along with Goro and we do missions as a team ala Mass Effect or Rainbow Six.

But in the end it is what it is, they over promised and under delivered. Fortunately it’s a game and not my house so my disappointment is appropriately sized.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
My disappointment with the game that I’ve otherwise had 4 playthroughs of, is you can’t really do some of the roles the tabletop is famous for.

V is basically always a Solo with a high dose of tech skills. There’s no way to be a Rockerboy, a Fixer, a Media Hound, a Techie, a Med Tech or a proper Netrunner, Nomad or Corpo. And I know that’s sort of the rub with these games based on tabletop RPGs is that they’re never as deep or varied as their pen and paper sires but, I dunno maybe we should have been able to keep Jackie and T-Bug (and later Goro) as our party. Or Judy, Panam, Kerry and River should have all been recruitable squaddies along with Goro and we do missions as a team ala Mass Effect or Rainbow Six.

But in the end it is what it is, they over promised and under delivered. Fortunately it’s a game and not my house so my disappointment is appropriately sized.
Fallout CP2020 edition would have been my preference. They even look very mechanically similar on the surface. In fact I think it was a guy on the old Views from the Edge forum that first introduced me to the modern fallout games.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
First the Edgerunners anime went harder than it had to. Did a great job of showing the world, setting and atmoshere of Cyberpunk and a drilled home its philosophy.

The most impressive thing about Edgerunners is that it convinced me to buy Cyberpunk 2077 at $2.50 instead of just at $2.00.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Got to my parents for Xmas and found all my old cyberpunk books in a box in my old room. Related I suppose. Shame I never picked up the night city sourcebook hardcopy, mate of mine bought it instead as I'd shelled out for all the others. Only got it on pdf years later.IMG_20221225_154118169.jpg

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Got to my parents for Xmas and found all my old cyberpunk books in a box in my old room. Related I suppose. Shame I never picked up the night city sourcebook hardcopy, aste of mine bought it instead as I'd shelled out for all the others. Only got it on pdf years later.View attachment 7613
Fuck me they’d be worth a bob or three.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Fuck me they’d be worth a bob or three.
Maybe, old RPG books can go for a lot if in the right condition and you know how to sell them. I got a few hundred for my old ADnD 2nd ed books about 10 years ago and close to a grand for my Rogue Trader (RPG) books 2 or 3 years ago. I did look up the old cyberpunk books but they weren't going for much, being relatively niche and about 20 years old at the time but I suppose that might have changed with the release of 2077. The old Nights Edge vampire etc supplements might be worth a bit as they were pretty obscure even when they came out, but it's finding the right buyer.

Still, I wouldn't be selling these. They were "my" RPG when I was a kid. Too much sentimental value.

Reactions: Gordon_4

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Maybe, old RPG books can go for a lot if in the right condition and you know how to sell them. I got a few hundred for my old ADnD 2nd ed books about 10 years ago and close to a grand for my Rogue Trader (RPG) books 2 or 3 years ago. I did look up the old cyberpunk books but they weren't going for much, being relatively niche and about 20 years old at the time but I suppose that might have changed with the release of 2077. The old Nights Edge vampire etc supplements might be worth a bit as they were pretty obscure even when they came out, but it's finding the right buyer.

Still, I wouldn't be selling these. They were "my" RPG when I was a kid. Too much sentimental value.
*looks at the Sega Master System in his cupboard* Yeah, I think I completely understand.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Are people still traumatized by the launch this game and still stubbornly refuse to buy it now that's its fixed?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Are people still traumatized by the launch this game and still stubbornly refuse to buy it now that's its fixed?
I won't buy it in general and on principle alone. The good news is that some people are warming up to it now, but they'll still call out all the crap that was done to the developers and behind the scenes. It's important to never forget your history and not make the same mistakes as before.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Frankly the game was worth it for me by virtue of costing about the same as the tabletop rulebook and granting me a free copy thereof. So really what I did was buy a digital; DRM free copy of Cyberpunk 2020 Core Rulebook that happened to include a game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's not fixed.

It might be stable and no longer a glitchy crashing mess, but it's still missing basic core features. And when I say core features I mean shit like pathing AI for both civilians and enemies.

Stuff that is so completely core to a play experience it seems like it should be impossible for a game to launch without it.

When you commit a crime the game literally just teleports cops on top of your character because the police AI is too braindead to find you otherwise.

This game is not fixed and never will be.

Last edited:

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'm going to say something controversial, I think this game is actually pretty good.

I say this with one caveat, I didn't actually pay any money for this game. I saw the mess happening a couple of years ago and had a good laugh at it and decided to pick up the game when it was dirt cheap to have a good look at the mess itself. Then, my brother got in touch with me telling me he had got it me for Christmas. Thankfully he'd had the good sense to get me FF7 Remake too so I didn't disown him on the spot.

I put it on my PS4 after the first big patch and yeah, it wasn't great. I am still of the opinion that it should have never been released on the last gen consoles and should have spent a couple more years in production. So I stopped playing after a little while.

Skip forward to last year and out of curiosity, I put it on again and I'll say this. Patched to Hell and back and running on a PS5, this game is actually good. It plays more like a looter shooter like Borderlands with the constant swapping out of gear. The game now is a lot more stable and doesn't just crash for no reason. There are still bugs and I don't think you will ever get rid of those. But its stuff that we used to laugh at Bethesda games for, stuff like a corpse stuck frozen in a death animation. People clipping through scenery or maybe a car over reacting when you fire in its general direction and it flipping through the air because someone was stood behind it. Driving still sucks arse if you are driving a car, but riding a motorcycle is alright. Using a pistol is actually worth the effort now. Night City actually feels a lot more active with people wandering around the streets. Its not perfect but at least I'm not seeing clones of the same person stumbling down the street one after the other.

The story is there, its not great but its not awful. There was a really nice, quite touching scene in a futuristic brothel with a futuristic prostitute that actually surprised me before the murder continued. And I enjoyed the missions with Panama too. Also, using the Mantis blades and storming into an enemy camp with the regenerating health mod on and just slashing through the enemy is great fun.

I understand why people are upset about this game, if I'd spent money on it, I would be too. And I understand if you don't want to play the game for moral reasons. But it is worth your effort if you are curious.

Reactions: BrawlMan