Dark Souls isn't an RPG

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
Mr Ink 5000 said:
erttheking said:
Ok...and? This thread has next to zero discussion value. Your OP is more of a statement than anything else. Not much to go on.
that was going to my response. Can this thread be locked
If it didn't have any discussion value, it wouldn't have reached 3 pages. In addition, majority of the actual discussion is happening between other members in the other pages of this thread. Others have brought up NPCs, Stats, Classes, and Combat as a way of proving/disproving if Dark Souls is an RPG. I guess the big point I was trying to bring to the discussion was that Dark Souls' primary genre shouldn't be RPG but Survival Horror. But instead of bringing a counter argument to the discussion, you instead quote another user and bring literally nothing to the discussion.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Dark Souls has stats like an RPG but very subtly.
Dark Souls also has feelings of desolation and atmosphere, kinda survival horrorish.
Dark Souls has lore. I guess that means there's plot
Dark Souls has combat where you can choose between fast rapiers or big greatswords, so that means its an action game.
Dark Souls has characters, with arcs, so side quests.
Dark Souls lets you choose an ending, that means there's choice.

I guess that makes Dark Souls a damn good video game! :O
Ok maybe this joke's gone on too long, just trying to lighten up the mood since this thread has popped up before and I and many others more or less disliked it cause it went nowhere.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Ieyke said:
It's a Fantasy Action/Survival game.
It's not an RPG of any sort.
Except for a fundamental stat system, a very prominent focus on character progression and most importantly of all, roleplaying.

RPG is quite an nebulous term and I see a lot of people desperately trying to covet it for their own personal usage. At the end of the day it's pure semantics based on personal preference. Just because it does not conform to your arbitrary restrictions as to what an RPG is, does not make it any less of an RPG, both officially and colloquially.

Dark Souls is an RPG and I'm confident you or anyone who says otherwise, cannot support claims to the contrary short of preferential bias or purist rhetoric.

Dec 16, 2009
Mr Dizazta said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
erttheking said:
Ok...and? This thread has next to zero discussion value. Your OP is more of a statement than anything else. Not much to go on.
that was going to my response. Can this thread be locked
If it didn't have any discussion value, it wouldn't have reached 3 pages. In addition, majority of the actual discussion is happening between other members in the other pages of this thread. Others have brought up NPCs, Stats, Classes, and Combat as a way of proving/disproving if Dark Souls is an RPG. I guess the big point I was trying to bring to the discussion was that Dark Souls' primary genre shouldn't be RPG but Survival Horror. But instead of bringing a counter argument to the discussion, you instead quote another user and bring literally nothing to the discussion.
because I read the OP and there was nothing to it discussion value wise. Which made me think, "not much discussion vale there"
Then I saw someone mirror my thoughts in the first comments, so I thought "I'll quote them n let them know I agree"
Then you quoted me , carrying on the pointlessness. Then I quoted you, carrying it on further.
Will the pointless cycle break so we can create interesting discussions

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Well, an RPG is a game where, by definition, you play a role. Though, by that logic, CoD, FIFA, Minesweeper, and Hide-and-Seek are all RPGs.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Zhukov said:
a) Semantics.

b) Who cares?
The (Un)Official Henpecking Nitpicking Internet Society!
THEY ALWAYS CARE. (The only source of more arguments than a married couple!)

Snark aside, you're right; it's all just semantics.
The endless argument over what specifically defines an "RPG" is heavily debatable.
(Stats? Decisions? Interpretation of "role"?)

Ultimately, it's pretty meaningless since the player assumes some sort of role, just by getting involved.
That role might be nebulous or directly defined, but it is a role all the same.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
TristanBelmont said:
Well, an RPG is a game where, by definition, you play a role. Though, by that logic, CoD, FIFA, Minesweeper, and Hide-and-Seek are all RPGs.
Which is why that's not the definition of the RPG genre.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Church185 said:
Ieyke said:
Which is why that's not the definition of the RPG genre.
Then, for the sake of argument, what is the definition of the RPG genre?
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Oh my fucking god. Can we not do this "But what is an RPG?" shit again? RPG covers practically anything that even vaguely relates to it. Linear, party-based, turn-based combat, random enemy encounters, set class system and skill trees, open-world, first-person, real time, set enemy positions, fluid class system have all made appearances in games that are described as RPGs.

Which is unsurprising, seeing as Role Playing Games as a group of words covers practically every fucking game.

But while I do see your point about survival horror, it can be both. And I would be tempted to say it is both, if it tried a bit harder at the horror. As it is I was not scared once throughout the game except to lose all my hard-earned souls, and I am not a horror person.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Oh my fucking god. Can we not do this "But what is an RPG?" shit again? RPG covers practically anything that even vaguely relates to it. Linear, party-based, turn-based combat, random enemy encounters, set class system and skill trees, open-world, first-person, real time, set enemy positions, fluid class system have all made appearances in games that are described as RPGs.

Which is unsurprising, seeing as Role Playing Games as a group of words covers practically every fucking game.

But while I do see your point about survival horror, it can be both. And I would be tempted to say it is both, if it tried a bit harder at the horror. As it is I was not scared once throughout the game except to lose all my hard-earned souls, and I am not a horror person.
People try to make RPGs all complicated when it's really very simple; an RPG's core focus must be on role-playing. Dark Souls core focus is not on role-playing, thus it's not an RPG. And the definition of an RPG fits very few games because very few games allow for character choice and story choice.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Phoenixmgs said:
People try to make RPGs all complicated when it's really very simple; an RPG's core focus must be on role-playing. Dark Souls core focus is not on role-playing, thus it's not an RPG. And the definition of an RPG fits very few games because very few games allow for character choice and story choice.
What, you don't think you're playing a role by kindling the Lordvessel and ushering in a new era? It may seem like you're just another undead, but you ring the bells, go to Anor Londo, do all this stuff that the NPCs say many others have failed to do. Furthermore you can adopt the role of any number of covenants, gathering eyes of death for Nito, being an asshole defending the forest for Alvina, or punishing invaders as a Darkmoon Blade. It allows plenty of flexibility in character choice and story choice, those being "Be whatever you want" and "Do whatever you want as long as you kill the main things", which to me seems about as varied as you can expect. Certainly moreso than Mass Effect, the difference being that Mass Effect is more scripted and detailed in your choices, where Dark Souls just lets you do whatever within the game and doesn't try to represent your choices.

Lastly, the focus of the game is essentially up to the player. Some take the default appearance and couldn't care less about their character. Having a focus on role-playing is a decision made by the player.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Phoenixmgs said:
What, you don't think you're playing a role by kindling the Lordvessel and ushering in a new era? It may seem like you're just another undead, but you ring the bells, go to Anor Londo, do all this stuff that the NPCs say many others have failed to do. Furthermore you can adopt the role of any number of covenants, gathering eyes of death for Nito, being an asshole defending the forest for Alvina, or punishing invaders as a Darkmoon Blade. It allows plenty of flexibility in character choice and story choice, those being "Be whatever you want" and "Do whatever you want as long as you kill the main things", which to me seems about as varied as you can expect. Certainly moreso than Mass Effect, the difference being that Mass Effect is more scripted and detailed in your choices, where Dark Souls just lets you do whatever within the game and doesn't try to represent your choices.

Lastly, the focus of the game is essentially up to the player. Some take the default appearance and couldn't care less about their character. Having a focus on role-playing is a decision made by the player.
The core focus of Dark Souls is clearly on the dungeon crawling. You have more decisions to make in say Far Cry 3 and that's not an RPG either. There's nothing in Dark Souls anywhere close to the decisions you make in Mass Effect. There's a big difference between playing as a character (99% of games) and role-playing as a character.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
Britpoint said:
TotalBiscuit has a good term for games like Revengeance, DmC and Bayonetta which is based on game dynamics: "Spectacle Fighter".
I use that term myself, I think it's a good one, but I got it from Yahtzee, who made it sound like his own creation. Did he plagiarise it from TB? Or maybe vice versa?

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Branindain said:
Britpoint said:
TotalBiscuit has a good term for games like Revengeance, DmC and Bayonetta which is based on game dynamics: "Spectacle Fighter".
I use that term myself, I think it's a good one, but I got it from Yahtzee, who made it sound like his own creation. Did he plagiarise it from TB? Or maybe vice versa?
TB's been using that one for ages. I've only heard Yahtzee use it recently.
It might just be an angry British expatriate thing...

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.
So, I assume the role of the Chosen Undead and set out to break the curse that is plaguing this land. Depending on who you believe (Frampt or Kaathe), you can accomplish this by either extending the age of fire, or extinguish the flame and usher in the age of men.

In my most recent playthrough I was a ninja, who used stealth, poison, katanas, and bows to carry out my mission. On the way to ring the second bell, I killed Quelaag. Shortly after it was revealed to me that Quelaag was simply trying to collect humanity to keep her sister alive. Because it was I who killed her last hope of being kept alive, I took it upon myself to feed her humanity. Though it was tempting to obtain humanity by killing fellow adventurers, I took a more noble path and helped adventurers along their path. This provided me with the humanity I needed to keep the Fair Lady alive.

Tada, it's a roleplaying game.

Please try again.