Dark Souls Port Brings Console Problems to PC

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Watch as the PC gamers wank over how good their own version should be and how much better graphically they are, hear there shrill whine as they complain that the company is lazy and incompetent for not doing better, gnash your teeth as they ignore all your comments and instead ignore reason and logic for complaints! It's the circus of tears ladies and gentleman, step right up, step right up!

It's too bad they couldn't fix these issues, they likely did something dumb at low level or don't have the expertise to change things, or maybe they just don't have the time and its harder to do they they estimated. Anyways, it might have been a good idea to delay the port until they had it mostly done to avoid having to release it prematurely and not up to the standards that PC gamers have come to expect. They're going to receive quiet a bit of flak for this.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Now i remember why i hate trying to say, "Im a PC gamer". I seriously start to feel like im insulting myself by dawning that title after reading these comments. >.>;

"30 FPS OH NO THE GAME IS RUINED!", "Locked resolution i cant buy this game!". Some people need to reassess their values when it comes to gaming. Everyone begged for a PC port. Now that its not perfect, half the people who probably cried for it to happen are ready to jump off the boat before they know if its going to sink or not.

Be happy PC is getting it at all! I know im getting it. Its even 20$ off on launch, how can you say "no" to one of the greatest games ever released, in slightly better quality then its console counter part, being released on PC?

I used to weep for the gaming community when i was mostly a console gamer. Now that ive mostly been a PC gamer, a member of the "Glorious Gaming Master Race", id be more then happy to go back to playing my 360 daily and carrying my PSP everywhere i go. Sure, the console may have a bunch of whiny, high pitched brats screaming racial slurs into their microphones, but at least the majority of them arnt stuck up (please excuse my language here) arse-candy who ***** about every little detail not being 110% created for PC.

You dont like the ports your getting? D:< Go buy an Xbox and/or PS3 and/or Wii gaming console, and stop begging for them to be ported. If i beg for a game, im at least going to support it to show were willing to make things happen. (sorry if your one of the good PC gamers who are going to support the game, and you feel lumped in with the sheeple after reading my rant, but im not talking about you. You guys make me happy <3 Not the console wars crowd, who cant see over their water-cooled motherboards that they are part of the problem in the long run!)

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
NOOO! I must be able to play this game on 5 monitors at a time with 15000 FPS at ALL TIMES! I can't play this game like a CONSOLE gamer. Heavens no! These are plebeian problems that a PC using GOD such as myself should NEVER have to encounter!

That is seriously what all these people complaining right now sound like. Just because you won't be able to see every bead of sweat drip down your character's face as he lie dead in the middle of brilliant dragonfire doesn't mean the game will be terrible. Haven't you people played any games that WEREN'T 1920x1080? I can think of quite a few that max at 720p and still look great.

It's funny, if they never ported this game you would still be just as angry because you ELITIST PC GAMER GODS DESERVE to have EVERY game released optimized for YOUR PC. And if it doesn't have 16x AA and 4x AS and 1024x1024 textures then somehow it's bad no matter what the game plays like.

You make all PC gamers look like entitled little children. Get over yourselves. I'll be having a BLAST playing this game. I won't care about any port quirks no sir.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
I don't think its a 30 fps cap, more than just terrible optimization. Beefy rigs should be able to handle the game just fine.
From Software is awesome, but they don't really understand PC gaming.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Waaghpowa said:
getoffmycloud said:
I think it uses steam now they changed it after the outcry.
Nope

Read the bottom of "System requirements".

Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE
Oh, ouch, locked framerate, locked resolution and nearly the winner in worst online DRM to deal with. The trouble is that I've been looking for a good hardcore hack and slash rpg for a very long time and this looks like it was designed to fill that role perfectly. Difficult decision.

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
Do4600 said:
Waaghpowa said:
getoffmycloud said:
I think it uses steam now they changed it after the outcry.
Nope

Read the bottom of "System requirements".

Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE
Oh, ouch, locked framerate, locked resolution and nearly the winner in worst online DRM to deal with. The trouble is that I've been looking for a good hardcore hack and slash rpg for a very long time and this looks like it was designed to fill that role perfectly. Difficult decision.
Come on, how bad is GFWL really? I think everyone over exaggerates. I have an account and it is by no means "draconian". It's extremely easy. You load your game, sign in, and play. There, done. Just because it may not be a very graceful type DRM doesn't mean it's the worst thing to happen ever. I use it for GTA4 and RES 5. Not a problem to be had.

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
thethird0611 said:
Also, if you dont care about the graphics, why the hell are you against the game then? GFWL is the only real argument ive heard that even makes sense.
Oh. My. God. Do you even know what framerate is? You really, truly can't get your head around the idea that no one here cares about graphics, can you? So you're just assuming that framerate = graphics because 'It must be what those spoilt/elitist pc gamers are complaining about!'.

thethird0611 said:
Ha... Hahahaha.... Hahahahahahahahahaha. Your very first sentence just kills me. Dark Souls is all about the game, and there are very very very few cutscene's, thats why you have to pay attention to the minor details!
I was referring to the game. For some reason I didn't even think the game had cutscenes actually, apart from possibly an opening one. This is just further evidence you don't know what framerate is and are commenting out of ignorance.

thethird0611 said:
Actually, let me rephrase your metaphor. Im like a parent who takes a kid to a nice steak house, then the kid complains that he wants a better steak, and then tells him to enjoy is freaking 15 dollar steak. Enjoy the greatness of what it is, not what your spoiled for.
I'm sorry, I didn't realise the game was free. They're not doing charity you know, this makes them money (although I question how much now that it's confirmed the game will be unplayable for a lot of people). If they want my money, they have to offer something that's worth it, it's really that simple.

thethird0611 said:
You know what, im glad YOU arent going to play it. You dont deserve it.
Thanks, I like to think I don't deserve to be physically assaulted by a game. This game is really not consequential to me, there was just a big fuss about it so I thought 'I may as well have a look' and after this I've just thought 'Meh, I can live without'.

thethird0611 said:
But its people like YOU who cant enjoy a game that has gotten rave reviews,
That doesn't even deserve a response. I'm just going to say Sturgeon's Law, and leave you to your own devices. That is, assuming you don't go off and ask someone else what to think about it.
thethird0611 said:
has some of the BEST gameplay, and just because YOU cant get your framerate higher, your not going to play it.
If it's at 30fps, it isn't some of the best gameplay, and you simply can't argue that. The game might be good if it were a game rather than a slideshow, but I can easily get a better experience from pretty much every game ever. Because pretty much every game ever doesn't shoot itself in the foot by putting itself at a painful framerate, even console ports.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Okay I get it everyone is going to say "PC elitist" but I don't care, this is ridiculous. A PC game that is locked at 720p and 30fps is unacceptable. Those who play consoles might not get that because they're used to things that look terrible and run like slideshows, but it's not my fault that you guys have low standards. Xbox and PS3 users are accustomed to playing poorly-optimized games with shitty resolution and abysmal frame rates but the standards of PC gaming are higher - and if a company can't manage to port a game in such a way that it can meet those standards, which are not unreasonable and consist mainly of "run faster than a Powerpoint", then they shouldn't fucking do it.

The problem isn't that PC gamers have a sense of entitlement; it's that console gamers have grown used to games that run like shit. When I purchase a PC game, I expect it to play to the strengths of my medium. If I wanted a slideshow with blown-out textures, I'd buy an overpriced gaming PC from 2007, which is, of course, what console gamers did when they bought the PS3.

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
gnihton said:
Have you even played a game at 30 FPS? Or are you just assuming it's unplayable because 60 FPS feels so good? There's a nice video

Witty Name Here said:
<youtube=QC8c0ZrISk0>

See that boss fight? That's in 30 fps. It's not a "slide show", it's not "So Slow you might as well watch paint dry". It's 30 fps. It's average. Oh well.

To use an analogy: Stop complaining that you've got the same meal as everyone else and not one that comes with someone to wipe the grease off your face for you.
here that shows you how it plays at that "oh so unplayable" 30 FPS. And please stop referring to the game a slideshow. The analogy is so idiotic.

peruvianskys said:
Not you too! Stop it. Please. Stop. Just, augh.... Watch the video and stop...

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
peruvianskys said:
The problem isn't that PC gamers have a sense of entitlement; it's that console gamers have grown used to games that run like shit.
This exactly. The problem isn't people having unreasonably high expectations, it's console gamers being exposed almost entirely to tripe to the point that they think it's unreasonable (or 'entitled' as it's the ignorants' favourite buzzword) to expect something that isn't terrible.

Scumpernickle said:
gnihton said:
Have you even played a game at 30 FPS? Or are you just assuming it's unplayable because 60 FPS feels so good? There's a nice video
I actually recently bought L.A Noire on Steam, being impressed by what I'd seen and heard of it, I entered the game and immediately noticed in the opening cutscene that the game was a slideshow. I didn't even know that the game limited framerate, but I could tell in less than a second because it was that painfully noticeable.

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
gnihton said:
peruvianskys said:
The problem isn't that PC gamers have a sense of entitlement; it's that console gamers have grown used to games that run like shit.
This exactly. The problem isn't people having unreasonably high expectations, it's console gamers being exposed almost entirely to tripe to the point that they think it's unreasonable (or 'entitled' as it's the ignorants' favourite buzzword) to expect something that isn't terrible.
Yeah, consoles are running on dated hardware, and yes, any computer built after 2009 outperforms them, but the games aren't "shit". Graphics, framerate, control, functionality, whatever you want to talk about, is not shit on consoles. Would you call a NES shit? How about a PS2? So why call something dated shit? Just because it inconveniences you now?

I also remember somebody saying that the devs themselves said not to expect a stellar port. Yet everyone expects something better than the consoles.

TLDR: Dated =/= Shit

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Meaning of Karma said:
peruvianskys said:
Okay I get it everyone is going to say "PC elitist" but I don't care, this is ridiculous. A PC game that is locked at 720p and 30fps is unacceptable. Those who play consoles might not get that because they're used to things that look terrible and run like slideshows, but it's not my fault that you guys have low standards.
PS3.
gnihton said:
thethird0611 said:
thethird0611 said:
thethird0611 said:
has some of the BEST gameplay, and just because YOU cant get your framerate higher, your not going to play it.
If it's at 30fps, it isn't some of the best gameplay, and you simply can't argue that. The game might be good if it were a game rather than a slideshow, but I can easily get a better experience from pretty much every game ever. Because pretty much every game ever doesn't shoot itself in the foot by putting itself at a painful framerate, even console ports.
Are you people fucking bonkers? How on earth is 30 FPS a slideshow?

Because of monitors don't work the same way a TV does , plus you are sitting a lot lot closer to it generally with a PC so it's blindingly obvious .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

TVs use interlacing pc monitors do not, pc monitors us e progressive scanning. The difference is like night and day at 30fps, on a tv it's effectively 60 fps because of the way interlacing works, monitor users on the other hand have no such benefit.

Oh plus of there is fps drop which is quite possible with the way the game runs (dark town) then its going to look like a PowerPoint presentation.

Withmir

Aug 11, 2012
Scumpernickle said:
I have not played a game that was capped at 30 FPS although sometimes my game spikes and the FPS goes that low and to be quite frank it is painful when that happens. As for your video, when I set it to 720p and open it up on full screen ya it is certainly playable but it is not something I would pay $40 for.

Also considering, as many others have pointed out, they are ignoring certain standards that have been set for several years now console port or not, I believe people have a right to complain. If the next CoD or Battlefield came out and had no multiplayer in it, do you think people would not complain and be "ok" with it?

Ultimately I find it rather depressing that people need to tell me what I like and what is good to me.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Do4600 said:
Things like FPS and texture resolutions can be worked around assuming that GFWL doesn't pick it up as something modified and bans your ass. My reason for not getting it is that I just don't like GFWL, poor performance is partly a deal breaker for me too, but as I said, you can generally work around those.
Meaning of Karma said:
Are you people fucking bonkers? How on earth is 30 FPS a slideshow?
It's not literally a slide show but they refer to the amount of time between frames which can affect the perception of movement. Ever had an experience with consistently higher frame rates? In a lot of cases, being restricted to 30 fps not only affects visual quality, but can also cause a significant amount of input lag. People playing with controllers don't usually notice because of analogue sticks. The dead zone with controllers offsets it and you don't notice it as much.

The input lag I mentioned is very noticeable in FPS games, especially when playing with a mouse and keyboard where you expect your movements to be 1:1 with your mouse movements.

Keep in mind that not everyone experiences this, but when you're accustomed to double the number of frames per second, it becomes very noticeable. In some cases, especially in mine, it causes headaches/migraines or nausea.