Define Your Game In One Quote

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Thyunda said:
ZeroMachine said:
Thyunda said:
Another one I was just thinking about,

Halo: Reach - "It's been an honour, sir.".
The simple act of Emile saluting Carter on the doomed Pelican, with no emotion other than pride, gave the feel of the game a voice. Nobody was going to survive, but Emile's thoughts weren't with regret or cowardice, he just thought of the job that needed doing and the team who had died to get it done. And that's what I read from Halo: Reach.
You know, if you put it that way, it makes Emile have a point...

(For the record, he's my least favorite character in any Halo game barring characters that can be described as "Brute Chieftain #4".)
I suppose it's cheating a little that I know a bit of the backstory, and that's where my fondness for Emile came from. He's a Spartan who is well aware that he is an eight foot tall armoured badass. But that's because he got inducted into the program a lot later than the other kids, and he was old enough to know what the Spartans were, and he idolised them. Fifteen years later and he's still living the dream. Maybe it's because he has lived his entire life as his childhood idol that he goes out with such dignity.

... Mind sourcing that info? I've read/watched/listened to every bit of fiction Halo has to offer except the latter half of Glasslands (which doesn't deal with anything but post-war stuff) and Primordium (which is part of the Forerunner trilogy) and I've seen NOTHING about that.

Plus, his date of birth is 2523, which means he'd be around the same age as the other ALPHA Spartan III's (his number is Emile A239, so he was part of ALPHA company). Hell, he wasn't even the oldest out of that company, Carter was. He was 11 at the time of conscription when Emile was 8.

http://www.halopedian.com/Emile

So either someone told you a big load of bull, or you're making stuff up to rationalize a poorly written character... which isn't a bad thing per se, just... don't contradict existing fiction. Work your backstory for Emile into what's known. I'm doing the same for Jorge in a novel I'm writing (not that he was poorly written, just less-than-stellar).

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
KoToR: 'Oh... hi'
My personal quote for KotOR would be "Y'know? Y'know? Y'know? Y'know? Y'know? Y'know?"-- Mission Vao.

OT: "Hoxtalicious, follow me!"-- Wolf, Payday: The Heist.

or

"Updated my journal. Updated my journal. Updated my journal. Updated my journal. Updated my journal."-- The Nameless One, PlaneScape: Torment

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Thyunda said:
ZeroMachine said:
Thyunda said:
Another one I was just thinking about,

Halo: Reach - "It's been an honour, sir.".
The simple act of Emile saluting Carter on the doomed Pelican, with no emotion other than pride, gave the feel of the game a voice. Nobody was going to survive, but Emile's thoughts weren't with regret or cowardice, he just thought of the job that needed doing and the team who had died to get it done. And that's what I read from Halo: Reach.
You know, if you put it that way, it makes Emile have a point...

(For the record, he's my least favorite character in any Halo game barring characters that can be described as "Brute Chieftain #4".)
I suppose it's cheating a little that I know a bit of the backstory, and that's where my fondness for Emile came from. He's a Spartan who is well aware that he is an eight foot tall armoured badass. But that's because he got inducted into the program a lot later than the other kids, and he was old enough to know what the Spartans were, and he idolised them. Fifteen years later and he's still living the dream. Maybe it's because he has lived his entire life as his childhood idol that he goes out with such dignity.

... Mind sourcing that info? I've read/watched/listened to every bit of fiction Halo has to offer except the latter half of Glasslands (which doesn't deal with anything but post-war stuff) and Primordium (which is part of the Forerunner trilogy) and I've seen NOTHING about that.

Plus, his date of birth is 2523, which means he'd be around the same age as the other ALPHA Spartan III's (his number is Emile A239, so he was part of ALPHA company). Hell, he wasn't even the oldest out of that company, Carter was. He was 11 at the time of conscription when Emile was 8.

http://www.halopedian.com/Emile

So either someone told you a big load of bull, or you're making stuff up to rationalize a poorly written character... which isn't a bad thing per se, just... don't contradict existing fiction. Work your backstory for Emile into what's known. I'm doing the same for Jorge in a novel I'm writing (not that he was poorly written, just less-than-stellar).
Most of them were taken at six, I think. Carter was 11, that's why he's in charge and is all mature about everything. Emile was old enough to know what they were, but not old enough to understand it, so to speak.
It was on the Halo wikia for a damn long time, I assume it's still there, and I also assume that if it was incorrect, it'd be removed. I've never liked writing backstories for pre-existing characters...though, to be fair, I'd probably be good at it. I just hate fan-fiction. Well, okay, that's a lie. Kind of. Talked myself into a circle here. I hate fan fiction that treats the characters as though everything they are is what you see in the fiction. All we see of Emile in Reach is the very, very end of his military career. I also read somewhere that they were about to take him off the team because he kept going too far with suspected insurgents. But, I also read a lot into a character from the tiny bits I see onscreen, which is why I'm terrible for spotting plotholes. I automatically fill them in as I go along...whereas the worst of critics just assume that if it's not explicitly explained, it's a plothole.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
"SHOOT IT REPEATEDLY!"
-Quake
Okay, the original Quake wasn't perfect, but those three words summarized it perfectly.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Portal as a whole

"Why don't you MARRY safe science is you love it so much!?" -Cave Jhonson,Founder and late CEO of Aperture Laboratories.

Team Fortress 2

"Ka-BEWM!" -The Demoman,Tavish DeGroot.

Ratchet & Clank

"Even the computers charge money!? That's it,this galaxy blows." Ratchet,Corporate Commando of MegaCorp (Ratcher & Clank 2:Going Commando)

[PROTOTYPE]

"NOTHING CAN PROTECT YOU FROM ME! NOT MEN! NOT WEAPONS! NOT ARMOUR!" -Alex Mercer,PhD biochemistry,Avatar of the Blacklight Virus

Left 4 Dead

"Run or shoot? Run or shoot!?" "Both!" -Louis and Bill,immune survivors of the Zombie Apocalypse

Najal

Apr 12, 2008
"You're on board the starship Von Braun and something's gone very, very wrong. Some kind of force has hijacked this ship. That's why you volunteered to be implanted with some experimental cybernetic implants. Rely on your cyber interface - it just might save your life."

ArbiterX13

Jul 2, 2011
"It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!"
Not only is it one of the most famous lines in gaming history, it also applies to every Zelda game ever; imagine that those chests that give you a new item in every dungeon could talk.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
Deceptive_Trixter said:
Nouw said:
SINDRRIIIIIIII!!!!!!!

Guess which game?
The original Dawn of War?
Dreiko said:
No More Heroes; "Moeeee!" - Travis Touchdown

Persona 3/4; "You have forged a bond that can not be broken!" - lvl 10 social link, voice of your heart
I should probably finish that game.

My pick would be
Call it what you will-
a revelation from god, or a curse of the demon king.
quote]
SMT: Nocturne! I so need to finish that game too.

"YOU CAN'T RUN FOREVER NUMBER THIRTEEN!" -The Mongoose

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
RELOADING! Reloading. Reloading! RELOADING?!?!?! reloading....

Guess the game and you win a cookie.
Left 4 Dead clearly.
My game quote: "There are three things of the utmost importance: Wisdom, Courage and Friendship"

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Andrew_J_Drake said:
"But only if you're partial to being flayed alive and having an angry immortal skip rope with your entrails."
"Ooh, ooh, what kind of message? A song? a summons? Wait, i know! A death threat written on the back of an Argonian concubine? Those are my favorite."
-Sheogorath, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I love Sheogorath, period, so I couldn't narrow it down to a single favorite comment. So i gave two, i think they show the game in general quite well, a mad affair with no real point except the madness. Except when it isn't.
My favorite was

"do you mind. I'm busy doing the fish stick. It's a very delicate state of mind."

After a quick Google search i laughed for half a minute. It all made sense. Every single one of those old RPG's and MMOs where people stood in one place not really doing everything. It all made sense.

Sheogorath enlightened me.

I guess I'll be his pope. You can be a bishop if you concuss at least 16 mudcrabs with a horker meat sandwich. Don't go higher than 22 though. That's madness.

MikeCrick

Jan 4, 2011
PoweD said:
"You know, the world isn't run by the laws written on paper. It's run by people. Some according to laws, others not. It depends on each individual how his world will be, how he makes it."
Cookies to who gets it.
Mafia!

Where's my Cookie?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Shadow of the Colossus:

"Dormin: In this land, there exists colossi that are the incarnations of these idols. If thou defeat those colossi, the idols shall fall.

Wander: I understand.

Dormin: But heed this, the price you pay may be heavy indeed.

Wander: It doesn't matter."

Pretty much sums up Wander's character right there.

Final Fantasy IX:

"My memories will be part of the sky"
- Vivi

"I beseech thee, wondrous moonlight, grand me my only wish! Bring my beloved Dagger to me!"
- Zidane

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
Fallout: New Vegas: "I believe one man can make or break a nation."

That can be said by the Courier during the Lonesome Road DLC, and it very neatly sums up the game's most basic theme. Plus it's just an awesome thing to say.