Define Your Game In One Quote

croc3629

Mar 20, 2011
"Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold." - Soul Calibur

I always enjoy a fighting game more when the story is well developed enough to give the world and its characters some good context. And yes, I do honestly enjoy the way Soul Calibur's story has developed so far, just as much as I enjoy bashing people in the head with an oversized sword. Which is exactly why I never hope to see something as out of place as Yoda in a Soul game ever again.

navyjeff

Legacy
Dec 2, 2010
Country
United States
"The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

-Bad Dudes

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Gat: I'm gonna skullfuck that *****!
Player: Hope you don't mind Hepatitis

-Saints Row-

Does it really need explaining? as much as I love Saints row 2 and will love Saints the third (my GF is keeping it safe for me until my exams next week are over) I still think having a silent protagonist with like four lines in the entire game was a stroke of comedic genius.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
Mass Effect: "01101000 01100101 01101100 01110000" (translates to "Help")
Admiral Hackett sends you on a side quest to disable a rogue virtual intelligence (VI) on the Moon that's gone and killed everyone. When discussing the assignment with Hackett, you have the option to inquire about whether the VI actually became sentient. Hackett vehemently denies that it could have evolved; it's just a super advanced VI. At the very end of the mission, when you destroy the final CPU of the VI, it blares a code in binary into your comm computer. That's the code up there.

I really like it because, while it doesn't really sum up the game, it shows that someone put a lot of thought into that side quest. That call for help shows that the VI did indeed become a true AI, because one of the signs of sentience is the urge of self-preservation. Robots and VI's lack such urges, but AI's (since they're sentient) do desire to live. Thus, the call for help.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Thyunda said:
Another one I was just thinking about,

Halo: Reach - "It's been an honour, sir.".
The simple act of Emile saluting Carter on the doomed Pelican, with no emotion other than pride, gave the feel of the game a voice. Nobody was going to survive, but Emile's thoughts weren't with regret or cowardice, he just thought of the job that needed doing and the team who had died to get it done. And that's what I read from Halo: Reach.
Couldn't agree more. See also 'I'm ready! How 'bout you?'

OT: That path leads to Ravenholme. We don't got there anymore.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
"Beware the limits of your own power" - Biorr of the Twin Fangs, Demon's Souls

"Still closed... Still closed... mmmm..." - Siegmeyer of Catarina, Dark Souls
Also: "Pyromancy is the ulimate fantasy... we are born in the dark and warmed by Fire,
but this fire we cannot touch. Those whose fascination with Fire persists, learn to hold
it in their own hand. " - Laurentius of the Great Swamp quoting his teacher, Dark Souls

"Perhaps we should find a random stranger to murder...practice does make perfect" - Lucien
Lachance, ESV:Skyrim (Also everything J'zargo says)

"I can go no further. You alone must stand against the Prince of Destruction and his Mortal
Servants. He must not have the Amulet of Kings!" - Uriel Septim VII, Oblivion (pretty
much sums it up :/)

"Do you want to play with me? OK, let's play good guys and bad guys... I'll be the good guy, and
you be the bad guy... " - Moon Child, LOZ: Majora's Mask

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
Z of the Na said:
MisterM2402 said:
"You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you? ¦^D "

Surely it's more fun to guess them, right?
The Happy Mask Salesman in his Majora's Mask incarnation, I believe he says that when you meet him in Deku form for the first time. It's also been popularized by the Creepypasta "Haunted Majora's Mask Cartridge"....thing.

Do I win?
You do indeed. Here, have 20 rupees for your troubles.

Would you like to play again, only 5 rupees?
Yes <--
No

Aug 1, 2010
[i/]Halo[/i]

[b/]I, I am a monument to all your sins[/b]

Simply put, one of the greatest lines in gaming and it represents everything I love about Halo.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
"Eat my laser! Eat it!". R-110, Timsplitters: Future Perfect

Runner-ups;

"Bite my crunchy brown ass"
"With a bit of lubrication I'm ready for anything"

Also from Timesplitters. God I miss Timesplitters.

ChupathingyX said:
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
"..I just want you to explain to me, why we're still getting the crap shelled out of us, and I don't want to hear the words; Authorisation, approval, clearance or...now who the hell is this?"

- Col. Garrett

The game involves great characters, politics, faction choices and lots of explosions. It is the first thing Garrett is saying when you meet him and shows how the game involves a lot of angry men dealing with countless problems.
Haha I loved that first meeting with Garrett.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Red Faction: Guerilla
"Given enough explosives, any moron can knock down a building. Don't you wanna be that moron?"

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Thyunda said:
Another one I was just thinking about,

Halo: Reach - "It's been an honour, sir.".
The simple act of Emile saluting Carter on the doomed Pelican, with no emotion other than pride, gave the feel of the game a voice. Nobody was going to survive, but Emile's thoughts weren't with regret or cowardice, he just thought of the job that needed doing and the team who had died to get it done. And that's what I read from Halo: Reach.
You know, if you put it that way, it makes Emile have a point...

(For the record, he's my least favorite character in any Halo game barring characters that can be described as "Brute Chieftain #4".)
I suppose it's cheating a little that I know a bit of the backstory, and that's where my fondness for Emile came from. He's a Spartan who is well aware that he is an eight foot tall armoured badass. But that's because he got inducted into the program a lot later than the other kids, and he was old enough to know what the Spartans were, and he idolised them. Fifteen years later and he's still living the dream. Maybe it's because he has lived his entire life as his childhood idol that he goes out with such dignity.

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
Metro 2033- "Some People call them demons, I call them Bitches" Bourbon
Seriously I hated those things

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Fappy said:
Friday the 13th - NES

"You and your friends are dead!"

Truly.
I much prefer the AVGN's spin on it personally.

They should put that in a remake, or something...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Jazoni89 said:
Fappy said:
Friday the 13th - NES

"You and your friends are dead!"

Truly.
I much prefer the AVGN's spin on it personally.

I haven't watched AVGN in ages. I actually played the game as a kid, so that's one of my favorite episodes.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Halo 3: "Why do you always jump? One of these days you'll hit something as stubborn as you, and I don't do bits and pieces."

mikeli4194

Jan 10, 2010
"So, Haggard had pretty much single-handedly invaded a neutral country" - Preston Marlowe in BF: Bad Company