Difficulty spikes!

jamie1000001

Aug 27, 2010
I can't believe no one has mentioned Jumper yet. Samuel L Jackson the invincible end boss...1 Hit takes like 1/3rd to half your health away. The combat system is so broken because he won't stop moving so his good and bad sides constantly change.

That was the only game I ever snapped the disk in anger with. The rest of the game was a peace of cake and then that...left me raging for weeks lol.Didn't anyone else find the end boss hard?

It may of been lack of sleep on the day why I failed so epically though.

Also Bad Company when you have to blow up the two bridges was really hard on hard until you found out what to do.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Oh wait. Horizon on Mass Effect 2. You know the part. You really have to plan it out, especially on Hardcore and Insanity. And count on your squad members shooting at the husks across the field while ignoring the ones beating on their skulls.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Ahlycks said:
MiracleOfSound said:
-le snip-
wut?!?!? what about disgaea?!?!

the whole game is one fucking difficulty spike. you need to fucking grind for a couple of hours, then you start playing then it is easy then 4 levels later you need to grind even more...

and don't even get me started about after the game ends. god! why is the level cap lvl 9999?!?!?

i cant even get to level 200 without busting my ass. it took me 100 hours just to get 150!
Hehe, that's not really a difficulty spike then, that's more just a very hard game... what is it by the way? An RPG?
Well to answer that question, its more of a TBS(turn based strategy)game, more akin to something like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, or Final Fantasy Tactics.

And also, while it may be hard, it is also fun as hell, since there is so much to level up and do and buy and kill.

Random Gameplay video:

Josh Kurber

Jul 5, 2010
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Mass Effect 2, Collector Ship mission: No opportunity to prepare beforehand; enemies with shields, armour AND regenerating health; limited ammunition; teammates who die in eight seconds; and NO COVER. I beat it by turning the difficulty to the easiest setting. I'll be trying the higher difficulty again when Bioware decide to make some decent weapons and armour available for download. (I know about the Firepower and Aegis packs, but I know there will be better stuff yet.)
Really? I never had trouble in that mission. Mass Effect, one and two, was kinda straight-forward, normal game difficulty for all difficulties.

But I know what you mean. First time I played it I had no idea what was going to happen. I kept constantly saving lol.
I suppose I neglected to mention that I was playing on the hardest difficulty level (for the Achievement, naturally). It was a cakewalk in Mass Effect 1, being able to build up a character in one playthrough and keeping everything on the next, but Mass Effect 2 makes you buy all your upgrades again on successive playthroughs. Take this with the fact that biotics aren't as useful in ME2 as the were in ME1, and you have a significantly more challenging game - that one fight in particular because of the reasons I mentioned, and there are only so many upgrades you can buy back before being forced to do it.
And yes, biotics weren't as powerful, save for Jack. I stuck with Vanguard for Paragon and Soldier for Renegade. I am on Insanity as Renegade, and am doing a pretty good job. Albeit dying several more times than usual lol.

I wasn't a fan of the very few powers and upgrades you get. Plus most weren't very useful. My Renegade, though, had Reave as an extra skill. Surprisingly enough that works wonders, especially on Vorcha and Krogan, since it stops their ability to regenerate and gives you Health back.

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
DustyDrB said:
Oh wait. Horizon on Mass Effect 2. You know the part. You really have to plan it out, especially on Hardcore and Insanity. And count on your squad members shooting at the husks across the field while ignoring the ones beating on their skulls.
Agreed. Those damn things would swarm you and you couldn't do anything about it. Oh, and on another note, how about the Praetorians? Those things were absolutely the worst part of that game. They would randomly show up and own your face just for laughs. Ten restarts later and you would finally do it, only to get killed by a husk rush.

fishman279

Oct 29, 2009
drzoidbergmd said:
LOTR: The Third Age. Three hours of badassery, slight jump in Theoden's Hall. What happens next? Helm's Deep...nine constant fights with no save points at ALL! And your enemies consistently have better armor and almost four times as many hit points as your previously unprepared party. So, being caught off guard as such, you do what any sane person would do and rely on the movie insertion characters to save you from taking an Uruk-hai long-spear up your newly presented backside.
I definately had problems with this. 9 fights with no save points... That was hell. I just had to keep using Idrial's spells to keep her and the movie hero alive. Your party gets screwed but they live. Anything else and you just get destroyed.
Also, on the same game, Sauron without Morgul Decay (The thing that takes away all enemy armor, regardless if it's a boss or not. IE: The most overpowered thing in the game. Shame you only get about 2 of them.). That guy is tough.
It's still one of my favourite games ever though. I may go and play it now you've reminded me. Thanks ;)

Indiscrimi

Apr 2, 2008
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Mass Effect 2, Collector Ship mission: No opportunity to prepare beforehand; enemies with shields, armour AND regenerating health; limited ammunition; teammates who die in eight seconds; and NO COVER. I beat it by turning the difficulty to the easiest setting. I'll be trying the higher difficulty again when Bioware decide to make some decent weapons and armour available for download. (I know about the Firepower and Aegis packs, but I know there will be better stuff yet.)
Really? I never had trouble in that mission. Mass Effect, one and two, was kinda straight-forward, normal game difficulty for all difficulties.

But I know what you mean. First time I played it I had no idea what was going to happen. I kept constantly saving lol.
I suppose I neglected to mention that I was playing on the hardest difficulty level (for the Achievement, naturally). It was a cakewalk in Mass Effect 1, being able to build up a character in one playthrough and keeping everything on the next, but Mass Effect 2 makes you buy all your upgrades again on successive playthroughs. Take this with the fact that biotics aren't as useful in ME2 as the were in ME1, and you have a significantly more challenging game - that one fight in particular because of the reasons I mentioned, and there are only so many upgrades you can buy back before being forced to do it.
And yes, biotics weren't as powerful, save for Jack. I stuck with Vanguard for Paragon and Soldier for Renegade. I am on Insanity as Renegade, and am doing a pretty good job. Albeit dying several more times than usual lol.

I wasn't a fan of the very few powers and upgrades you get. Plus most weren't very useful. My Renegade, though, had Reave as an extra skill. Surprisingly enough that works wonders, especially on Vorcha and Krogan, since it stops their ability to regenerate and gives you Health back.
That's uncanny. I use a Paragon Vanguard and a Renegade Soldier too. The Vanguard just sucks in ME2, though. It's annoying. His special power is to charge enemies and his primary weapon is useless at further than three metres, but getting close to enemies gets you dead, fast, even on Casual.

A friend of mine is currently trying to beat Insanity mode with a Sentinel that can use a sniper rifle. He's made it past the Collector Ship, so he might just make it all the way.

I'm assuming you haven't done the Collector Ship on Insanity yet. I wish you the best of luck when you get there. You're going to need it.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
Furburt said:
Also, CoD 4. The Pripyat mission, with the end of level defence. It was going so well up to that point.
I'd be tempted to agree with you but then I remember I thought the whole game was hard, particularly when I tried veteran.

Josh Kurber

Jul 5, 2010
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:

That's uncanny. I use a Paragon Vanguard and a Renegade Soldier too. The Vanguard just sucks in ME2, though. It's annoying. His special power is to charge enemies and his primary weapon is useless at further than three metres, but getting close to enemies gets you dead, fast, even on Casual.

A friend of mine is currently trying to beat Insanity mode with a Sentinel that can use a sniper rifle. He's made it past the Collector Ship, so he might just make it all the way.

I'm assuming you haven't done the Collector Ship on Insanity yet. I wish you the best of luck when you get there. You're going to need it.
That IS quite odd xDD

And I have never used anything besides a Vanguard or Soldier in all my times of playing these two games. Can't force myself to lol. I give my own characters their own stories in my mind (me being an aspiring novelist and all) and I am just not a fan of a sniper, or some tech-savvy mofo. I quite enjoy the killers, or the killers with powers.

And really? My Vanguard rocked the shit out of all. More so than my Soldier. And my Soldier reached 60 on ME1, though that is quite irrelevant, 'cept for the ME2 bonuses. I never powered up Charge. I mostly spent on, first, the Vanguard Status. Then I built up my Inferno Ammo and Cryo Ammo. Never used my powers in ME2, oddly enough. Kinda a waste to be a Vanguard, but oh well lol.

And thanks. It's going to suuuuuuck. But my Soldier is pretty powerful. I think just the feel of being an uber bad ass with glowing eyes and grotesque, yet awesome, scars kinda just pumps me up through the fighting xDD

Josh Kurber

Jul 5, 2010
XSA37 said:
DustyDrB said:
Agreed. Those damn things would swarm you and you couldn't do anything about it. Oh, and on another note, how about the Praetorians? Those things were absolutely the worst part of that game. They would randomly show up and own your face just for laughs. Ten restarts later and you would finally do it, only to get killed by a husk rush.
I may have horrible skills in the enemy names, but I remember the worst enemies in ME2 being those big ass husks with the tumor growing out of their backs and those bastard biotic powers that took out my shield in one hit.

And I found the best way to take out the Husks is to use Cryo ammo and shoot their legs. They usually shatter in one shot and fall. Helped quite a lot on the derelict Reaper.

Zorvox

Aug 30, 2009
Singularity. the first enemy you encounter jumps out of F***ing NOWHERE and starts to rip you're guts out. you only have a pistol when you encounter him, he takes about 1/8 of your health away with each strike (attacks roughly every 0.5 seconds), and you can't move because he's standing on you. oh, and it took about 1 1/2 clips of ammo to kill him because the pistol in singularity is totally weaksauce. took 2 tries to get past that bastard.

Indiscrimi

Apr 2, 2008
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:

That IS quite odd xDD

And I have never used anything besides a Vanguard or Soldier in all my times of playing these two games. Can't force myself to lol. I give my own characters their own stories in my mind (me being an aspiring novelist and all) and I am just not a fan of a sniper, or some tech-savvy mofo. I quite enjoy the killers, or the killers with powers.

And really? My Vanguard rocked the shit out of all. More so than my Soldier. And my Soldier reached 60 on ME1, though that is quite irrelevant, 'cept for the ME2 bonuses. I never powered up Charge. I mostly spent on, first, the Vanguard Status. Then I built up my Inferno Ammo and Cryo Ammo. Never used my powers in ME2, oddly enough. Kinda a waste to be a Vanguard, but oh well lol.

And thanks. It's going to suuuuuuck. But my Soldier is pretty powerful. I think just the feel of being an uber bad ass with glowing eyes and grotesque, yet awesome, scars kinda just pumps me up through the fighting xDD
(Momentarily off-topic.) As a writer and teacher of English, I can tell you that there is no such thing as an "aspiring novelist"; there are only published and unpublished novelists. Good writing is not something to be aspired to; you can either do it, or you can't. Getting a publisher to recognize good writing is the tricky part.

(Back on-topic.) My biggest problem with Insanity mode is that I keep running out of ammo, so when I was using my Vanguard I was usually standing behind cover and spamming shockwave (hence cover being such an impediment for my established combat methods on the Collector Ship). I don't think I used my shotgun at all on Insanity; if I was close enough to use it, I was already dead. And I see absolutely no point in sinking skill points into two different kinds of special ammo - setting things on fire works well for me every time.

Say what you like about that long-range "tech-savvy mofo", but having a shield that can absorb a thousand points of damage and a gun that takes off half of an enemy's health bar in one hit from 100 metres away has worked well for my friend so far.

Josh Kurber

Jul 5, 2010
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:

That IS quite odd xDD

(Momentarily off-topic.) As a writer and teacher of English, I can tell you that there is no such thing as an "aspiring novelist"; there are only published and unpublished novelists. Good writing is not something to be aspired to; you can either do it, or you can't. Getting a publisher to recognize good writing is the tricky part.

(Back on-topic.) My biggest problem with Insanity mode is that I keep running out of ammo, so when I was using my Vanguard I was usually standing behind cover and spamming shockwave (hence cover being such an impediment for my established combat methods on the Collector Ship). I don't think I used my shotgun at all on Insanity; if I was close enough to use it, I was already dead. And I see absolutely no point in sinking skill points into two different kinds of special ammo - setting things on fire works well for me every time.

Say what you like about that long-range "tech-savvy mofo", but having a shield that can absorb a thousand points of damage and a gun that takes off half of an enemy's health bar in one hit from 100 metres away has worked well for my friend so far.
Aye, I am hoping to one day be a published writer. Big time. I am also going for my English degree, coincidentally.

Well, see, Cryo Ammo was perfect against the big hordes of Husks, I learned. If you shoot their legs with cryo ammo their legs shatter in one shot and they go down. I found it perfect for when I got stuck on that damned Derelict Reaper. I usually used my Fire Ammo for the shields and whatnot, since it burned through quite well. And I learned Mordin (I think I spelled that right) is PERFECT for the battle through the Collector Ship. His Inferno tech worked WONDERS. Plus, having him on your final team makes it that much easier to have every teammate survive. And sending Tali off with the crew members you rescue, since they are the weakest of all the fighters.

And I know what you mean: I have occasionally used the sniper rifle with my Soldier, but I just don't like to for some reason. I refuse to touch one in any shooter I play unless absolutely necessary.

Josh Kurber

Jul 5, 2010
Zorvox said:
Singularity. the first enemy you encounter jumps out of F***ing NOWHERE and starts to rip you're guts out. you only have a pistol when you encounter him, he takes about 1/8 of your health away with each strike (attacks roughly every 0.5 seconds), and you can't move because he's standing on you. oh, and it took about 1 1/2 clips of ammo to kill him because the pistol in singularity is totally weaksauce. took 2 tries to get past that bastard.
YES! That was a bastard of a game at the beginning. Quite startling too, I might add. I remember spamming shots on the two mutants by the truck and got screwed over so quickly.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Dead Rising, a game I've been wanting to play for a while and just got my hands on, has this.

Dragon Age: Origins tends to do this a bit. There was one part that I simply couldn't do. It was an optional path to the side, and I could have just passed it by, but I was way too stubborn and pressed on until, out of frustration, I flipped the game down to Casual and beat it.

XSA37

Aug 5, 2009
imaloony said:
Dead Rising, a game I've been wanting to play for a while and just got my hands on, has this.
I'm not sure if we mentioned it earlier, but the Jeep on Dead Rising. How many people felt like it was impossible to continue the story because four wackos decided to get a jeep with a 50cal that decimates you.

Indiscrimi

Apr 2, 2008
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:
Josh Kurber said:
Indiscrimi said:

That IS quite odd xDD

Aye, I am hoping to one day be a published writer. Big time. I am also going for my English degree, coincidentally.

Well, see, Cryo Ammo was perfect against the big hordes of Husks, I learned. If you shoot their legs with cryo ammo their legs shatter in one shot and they go down. I found it perfect for when I got stuck on that damned Derelict Reaper. I usually used my Fire Ammo for the shields and whatnot, since it burned through quite well. And I learned Mordin (I think I spelled that right) is PERFECT for the battle through the Collector Ship. His Inferno tech worked WONDERS. Plus, having him on your final team makes it that much easier to have every teammate survive. And sending Tali off with the crew members you rescue, since they are the weakest of all the fighters.

And I know what you mean: I have occasionally used the sniper rifle with my Soldier, but I just don't like to for some reason. I refuse to touch one in any shooter I play unless absolutely necessary.
Wow. I didn't know that about Cryo Ammo. And I don't think I've ever tried Mordin's Inferno tech. Thanks for the tips: I'll keep them in mind for my next run at Insanity.

I don't like sniping either, but when I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, fighting fair is not high on my list of priorities. Do whatever works, right?

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Been playing Ys7 for the past few days and that games difficulty spikes can get crazy, the bosses will just kick your ass in such an unrelenting way. The game is fun and addictive, normal enemies are easy enough to deal with with a few heavy enemies to slow you down. Dungeons are fun, simple enough to get through. It's all fast, fun, and relatively easy as you just steamroll enemies; and then you get to the bosses. Holy shit do those assholes hurt, and you betcha you'll go through multiple tries on a boss before beating it if you don't know how to properly dodge, flash guard, and read their patterns.

Epic epic boss fights, but they get pretty hard core and the difficulty spike is a straight up 90 degree angle the second those monstrosities show up. Damn bird thing at the top of the Wind sanctum was a total *****, I fear and anticipate the final boss.

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
the lord of the rings: the third age. that part with the balrog had me stumped for months, but after I finally defeated it the next few play-throughs were a breeze. Now that I think of it that game was great, they should make a similar such game based off of LoTR.