DMC: Devil May Cry Review

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Steve Waltz said:
Archemetis said:
Also, I'm sorry, but am I reading comments in regards to the writing being worse than the original games?

You people realise you're talking about Capcom's writing, right?
Actually, no. We're talking about Ninja Theory's writing. Ninja Theory developed this game, Capcom only published it.
Like I just said to the other guy who misunderstood this, I didn't say Capcom wrote this game, I said they wrote the games before it (and that the writing wasn't exactly stellar then).

This was in response to people comparing the writing of then and now and somehow coming out thinking Capcom were writing gods.

Thank you.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Gardock said:
Everyone says the tonal update was necessary, that the old Dante looks silly now instead of badass. Especially Ninja Theory.

Here's the thing: that's the point! He was ridiculous and campy and dated-looking in 2001, too. He looked like an anime vampire who had raided Michael Jackson's closet. That was the tone of the games; it was all ridiculous metal album grimdarkery in the setting, cruised through by a guy who's too "cool" to be taken seriously, especially considering how extremely flamboyant he was at the same time. Trying to make Dante less faboo so he can be "legitimately" badass is a horrible case of missing the point, and if anything just makes him seem dumber for trying to be handled with a straight face. The last thing I want from this series is actual attempts to be edgy; I want effeminate men loudly lamenting their cliched tortured pasts in rooms with all the walls covered in ebony skulls that bleed from the eyes.

Yeah I thought that was the point too. But now that I think about it, old Dante was cheesy and silly in a Japanese anime way while new Dante is cheesy and silly in an American B movie summer blockbuster way.

Kinda cool now that I think about it

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Yeah I thought that was the point too. But now that I think about it, old Dante was cheesy and silly in a Japanese anime way while new Dante is cheesy and silly in an American B movie summer blockbuster way.

Kinda cool now that I think about it
Problem: Ninja Theory aren't AWARE that their Dante is at best a B-Movie knockoff. They're playing straight and are ending up as the bigger joke

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Was the review shortened for some reason? There's only a few references to story, characters, and none at all about music. Plus a lot of the arguments were turned on their head at the end. Mostly I'm stuck wondering how it got a decent score when most comments are negative and the ones that are there sound as though the author is cringing. Especially with this line:
Encaen said:
it is possible for a mini-boss to fail to spawn when it should, which leaves you trapped in a tiny area. In order to proceed, you're forced to restart the entire level, which can be maddening
if I saw that happen while I had to write a review about a game, I wouldn't give the game anything above one unless the rest of the game is pure joy and feels like the game blows me while I'm playing. Especially the comment about how multiple play sessions are recommended, isn't a good game one you lose sleep on and don't want to leave well past the ending?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Kitsune Hunter said:
Good review, defiently going to pick it up, but I wonder what the naysayers think, now that their hopes of the game being a flop have been dashed, will they accept it and give the game a try or continue to whine about dante not having white hair anymore
Let me put it like this: if a shit-covered donut has black sprinkles instead of white sprinkles, it isn't going to make a lick of difference. And you know why that is?

It's because the donut is made of shit.

Dante is an absolutely abhorrent bastardization of what once was a fun, zany, and very likeable character. And no amount of hair dye will fix that.

Take it away, Hyper:

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
To be honest, if they had stuck with what they were planning early early on (A prequel, maybe something like based off the novels so it's about Dante during his Tony Redgrave days). But I bought this game, hoping that maybe it would be better if I thought of it as a DmC inspired game. But no, not even my love for games So Bad they are Good couldn't help (and I rank Damnation as one of my favorite games). New Dante is a complete twat, New Vergil has basically no style (the trailer for his DLC made me weep) and the gameplay just sucks.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Vanitas likes Bubbles said:
I played it and liked it. I guess that is some sort of sin or something on these forums.
I don't get it. We voice our complaints, and people rain down upon us like we're preaching that the Earth is flat.

You're more than welcome to enjoy this game. Hell, if I hadn't played the originals and was still in a daze of blissful ignorance, I might actually think the new title's gameplay is pretty fun.

I just get annoyed when people insist that we're angry about the title because of some insignificant trite like "the character's hair has changed color," when there is much, much more to complain about.

It's like a valet crashes your car, and you go to complain to the company that he works for. And they respond with "well, you only hate it because the valet is wearing a black vest," it doesn't change the fact that he still crashed your goddamn car.

Come again!

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
josh4president said:
Looks fun.

Hope they patch that problem with the mini-bosses not spawning, though.

Having to restart an entire chapter just because of one bug is maddening.
Is that a thing? I finished the whole thing without any problems, apart from those damn Dreamrunners. Bastards just wont die.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Nachtmahr said:
Vergil was a godawful pussy. He couldn't even take out a few demons by himself. He was one of the biggest badasses in DMC.
Remember when Vergil was a proud swordsman who refused to use guns because they weren't the weapons of a true warrior?

Ninja Theory doesn't.
[sub]Skip to 2:40 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgrfl02IJVA&t=2m40s] to witness an abortion scene. I wish I was kidding.[/sub]

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I beat the game Friday. Some of the worst garbage I have ever dealt with. I took notes while playing and immediately after finishing the game which I hope to post soon. I thought this would be an alright game but a bad DMC, but it isn't even a decent game when you forget about the franchise it is supposed to be a part of.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009

This guy put it best. Sadly little other reviewers seem to take a look at the story at all.

Some of the cons:

Dante is absolutely unlikeable. Taunting Mundus about killing his unborn baby while smiling, profanity everywhere, Vergil literally comparing dick size with him and so much more.

While the combat isn't bad it's still inferior to the originals. Putting the whips and weapon switch on the same button was a bad idea. During the demo i found myself accidentaly grappling all over the place. DMC4 handled that much better since you actually had to lock-on something to grapple it.

Bosses are really bugged. Several of them can be bugged to the extend that they don't do anything anymore.

Hunter:
Slurm Queen:
The final boss only performs counters:

Other glitches involve infinite grappling and jumping with the whips (remember that enemies can't attack you while airbound):
Flying:

The game just feels unpolished overall

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
lapan said:

This guy put it best. Sadly little other reviewers seem to take a look at the story at all.

Some of the cons:

Dante is absolutely unlikeable. Taunting Mundus about killing his unborn baby while smiling, profanity everywhere, Vergil literally comparing dick size with him and so much more.

While the combat isn't bad it's still inferior to the originals. Putting the whips and weapon switch on the same button was a bad idea. During the demo i found myself accidentaly grappling all over the place. DMC4 handled that much better since you actually had to lock-on something to grapple it.

Bosses are really bugged. Several of them can be bugged to the extend that they don't do anything anymore.

Hunter:
Slurm Queen:
The final boss only performs counters:

Other glitches involve infinite grappling and jumping with the whips (remember that enemies can't attack you while airbound):
Flying:

The game just feels unpolished overall
I am honestly surprised they were allowed to release the game THIS unfinished. It just reeks of sloppiness on NT's part. Considering how Tameem has brushed people off on Twitter blatantly SHOWING him glitches I doubt they're gonna be patched. At the very least, the game probably doesn't have a chance of reaching DMC4 numbers. It's just gonna be swept under the rug and forgotten

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
BleedingPride said:
josh4president said:
Looks fun.

Hope they patch that problem with the mini-bosses not spawning, though.

Having to restart an entire chapter just because of one bug is maddening.
Is that a thing? I finished the whole thing without any problems, apart from those damn Dreamrunners. Bastards just wont die.
Yeah that's a thing.

Be glad the glitch-fairy passed your house by on that one.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Devil May Cry looks like it is a pretty good game. I can't wait to get it on PC. Does it have any side missions or is it pretty linear?

Iscariot6794

Jul 1, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Look, here's the thing... the first, third and fourth Devil May Cry games had some of the best melee combat of any game ever. In terms of the hack-and-slash genre, I'd only put the Ninja Gaiden games as being of equal calibre purely in terms of combat engine. Especially with DMC3, the guys at Capcom managed to create some truly game changing, top of the line gameplay. You simply don't get much better than the combat in DMC3.

If you're going to continue a series, then I would expect the developers and publishers to build on that. If your previous game had one of the best combat engines ever, then the obvious decision for a sequel is to make it even better. And if you can't do that, what's the point of even making a sequel?

This new DMC reboot should have better combat than either 3 or 4. While DMC 4 had many flaws, Capcom at least managed to polish the combat even more. They should have gone further with that. Instead, they gave the series to a developer who has only ever produced mediocre-at-best combat engines, and started taking steps backwards. I wouldn't mind Ninja Theory taking over the series if they managed to make the combat better. I wouldn't even mind them rebooting the universe and pushing their new Dante in everyone's faces if the fighting was at least a step up from previous games. But that simply doesn't seem to be the case. Not only have they wound everyone up with all the canon-rebooting, but they simply don't seem to have justified it with improved combat at all. In every bit of footage I've seen, the combat has seemed serviceable at best- some depth, but seemingly laggy inputs, no real sense of flow, and dumb enemies who telegraph their every move. Any other game, perhaps, that wouldn't be a problem. But Devil May Cry has long been the benchmark against which game melee combat is measured, and standards should be higher for it than for other games. If Ferrari followed up something like their Enzo or F35 supercars with a Vauxhall Nova knock-off, then it doesn't matter how serviceable and fuel-friendly it is, it's still a step down in performance.

Ninja Theory were simply a poor choice of developer. Their prior games haven't had anything close to stellar combat, and the Unreal Engine (which they use extensively) simply isn't built for fast-paced, reflexive hack and slash games. If any third-party developer out there is capable of taking up the mantle, it's Platinum Studios. Not surprising considering that they have some of the same guys who worked on the original Devil May Cry games. The DMC reboot should have brought the same refinement to the genre that Bayonetta did, and that Metal Gear Rising looks to. Instead, as a hack-and-slash game, the mechanics just look... meh. And no amount of pretty scenery can make up for that.
uhh, maybe play the demo dude

most of the videos have the difficulty on normal, when in my opinion DmC doesn't even start until you get on Son of Sparda, which ups the AI, and gives all the enemies new attacks. Not to mention that the combat has exactly as much flow as you are capable of putting out. It gives you every tool you could possible ask for, a whip to bring yourself to enemies, a whip to bring enemies to you, and 8 delicious weapons to use however you want.

i am kind of disappointed that you would attempt to gauge a games mechanics (literally the mechanism of action by which the game rests on) by watching someone else play the game.

:p

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I began playing it last weekend, it's not a bad game but all the "FUCKING AMAZING!!!" feel it has in the first few moments seem to pass away quickly :( After a (rather short) while the whole "turning into limbo" visual effects and "crumbling passages" platform became quite repetitive, also the fighting system is a bit off, it's not "stylish" as the old DMC nor brutal like God of War, it's somewhere in between, some place that, to me, is just sorta boring.
In short, I was expecting much more of this game, it's not bad, but it's not something I think gamers will remember after a few years...

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Bat Vader said:
Devil May Cry looks like it is a pretty good game. I can't wait to get it on PC. Does it have any side missions or is it pretty linear?
VERY linear, which isn't a bad thing at all, and is to be expected in the genre. What you DO have are collectibles that might take you "slightly" out of your way and certain locked doors that can be opened to challenges.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I liked it. Good review, though i dont agree with getting lost and needing a "Superb Sense of direction". I spend hours being lost in skyrim, but i made it through the game with no trouble. Its pretty linear.

Its a great game though. Combat is great, the level design is amazing, and while there are a few minor problems i have with it, im not going to bash it for them. All games have problems, this one has some of the least game changing.

Im happy to have rented this game, and may purchase it in the future.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Kitsune Hunter said:
Good review, defiently going to pick it up, but I wonder what the naysayers think, now that their hopes of the game being a flop have been dashed, will they accept it and give the game a try or continue to whine about dante not having white hair anymore
As a former Naysayer, I can at least take solace knowing that the game was decent gameplay wise.
I was amazed that the Donte actually had character development and was somewhat likable.

The story however...laughably stupid. Even more stupid because of how serious the game is taking itself. And my biggest complaint is the boss fights being too easy other than a few exceptions like Bob Barbas.
And the ending was just downright pandering and was such an asspull. I know Ninja Theory was trying to appeal to new comers and even older fans of the franchise, but it felt so half-hearted at the very end that the conflict between Dante and Vergil held little to no emotional weight along with Kat's forced romantic interest.

Still though, it's a good game by technicalities. Gameplay and Combat is solid, while a bit lacking along with the platforming actually surpassing that of the original DMC games. (FINALLY! CONTROLLED JUMPING)
Also the environments in DmC are FAN FUCKING TASTIC!!!

Just don't go in the game expecting strong characterization for anyone other than Donte.