DoA Dev Says Jiggle Physics Are Part of Japanese Culture

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Boudica said:
Yes, Japan, tell us also how well your same sex train carts are doing. Your culture and your women are doing grand, aren't they :3
I don't understand. Are you saying that all their culture is based in making women miserable because they dare to make a game with male fantasy?

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
surg3n said:
Why are the big jiggly boobs any more sexist that the muscles on the dudes?
I would say, realistically muscles provide a athlete use while big boobs provide athletes with incredible back aches. At least as I think of it as making sense. I don't consider it for show at all.
Though to bring up a counter-point, I remember in a superman cartoon, superman looses his powers and he's incredibly weak even though he's already super built. I guess from that point I can see why they can be just for looks, aka characters embody ideal gender models just for show.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
I still don't get people playing the "they're just following their demographic" card. If I were to count myself in the target demographic, I'd be kind of offended at being expected to be affected by this kind of blatant, naked pandering. It's just a form of condescension, really.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Fappy said:
I remember them saying they wrote it. If they didn't then who did?

Also, I agree about the gameplay. It was actually pretty fun.
Yoshio Sakamoto (the original creator of metroid) wrote the script (talk about killing your own franchise). Though team ninja might have had a little say in the storyboard most of the faults with the scripts is because of sakamoto

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Biodeamon said:
meanwhile in america...
You do know Crytek isn't American right?

OT: If that's the type of games they wish to make then by all means they should. I probably won't play them nor will I think too highly of them.

But the way I see it the problem with video-games has never been that games with jiggle physics and grossly unrealistic female proportions exist, it's rather that they're being much too common.

But seeing as DoA has always kinda been about this sort of stuff I think it's fine. If you don't like it then simply don't play it. There should be other games that do not feature such things.

What I'm trying to say is that having DoA being as it is amongst a dozen games that do have much more realistically proportioned characters is no problem. It's only a problem if the majority of those dozen games all feature that. And seeing as DoA seems to take it so far that they consider it a genuine feature of their game worth listing they might as well keep on doing it, as long as they're the exception rather than the rule.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
D Moness said:
Fappy said:

Yoshio Sakamoto (the original creator of metroid) wrote the script (talk about killing your own franchise). Though team ninja might have had a little say in the storyboard most of the faults with the scripts is because of sakamoto
That's far too depressing. Why did I ask :(

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Boudica said:
Fappy said:
D Moness said:
Fappy said:

That's far too depressing. Why did I ask :(
Is the game really that bad? I watched a friend play a bit and it looked like the first Metroid game I ever considered getting. Didn't, though. I heard nothing but horrible bile and decided to spend my money elsewhere first.
The gameplay was pretty good. The story/VO was abysmal.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
It'll be bigger news to me when the DoA franchise actually produces a decent fighting game jiggle physics be damned. Seriously they've made rock-paper-scissors with tits. Congratulations.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Zombie_Moogle said:
My initial reaction: That'll go over reeeeeal well with the gaming community
Upon further analysis, maybe it will. This isn't the first time the fighting game community has been unapologetic, if not proud to be anywhere from insensitive to discriminatory to female gamers.
Escapist, I wanna know your thoughts; Is this really a defining trait of the fighting-game community, or Japanese culture for that matter, or are these guys just making excuses?
It's no more a proper and fair representation of the fighting game community than a handful of wolf whistling construction workers is a good representation of everyone who works in the trades. Yes, the fighting game community started in the seedy smoke filled corner arcade where women were few and welcoming smiles for newcomers were fewer. No, that's not where the fighting game community is today. Sure there are holdouts who cling to old belief systems because it's a life they've lived for 20ish years, but even they have generally learned to temper their feelings.

As for it being part of Japanese culture, however, I think from my opinion it just might be. I'm not Japanese and have never actually been to Japan, but based on the popular media that we're all exposed to, I don't think there's much question. Equal treatment of women in Japanese pop culture isn't exactly given much precedence from the entrenchment of Idol worship to the growth of lolicon. Treating the female as a visual object of desire first and foremost does seem to be the Japanese way, right or wrong. By my estimation, Hayashi is very much in the right at least on making his statements about cultural mores.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Fappy said:
D Moness said:
Fappy said:
This is Team Ninja we're talking about. They raped Samus! What did you guys expect?
Team ninja had nothing to do with the script they only made the gameplay, the gameplay was really solid in most parts of the game.

Phasmal said:
I think they do the physics on each breast independantly, which can lead to one-boob-up one-boob-down weirdness.
I agree with the sports bra though, it just looks painful to me, having those things constantly clanging around.
Yeah they had that since DOAX2. It also also very very obvious in that game and very very ... weird. Getting motion sickness due to that is really weird >.<

... raped Samus? Anyway, Team Ninja was responsible for the gameplay. The story and characterization in Other M, however, came straight from the nice chap at Nintendo who actually started the series.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
You know, im kinda glad their keeping it the way it is. I'm not a fan of the games (or fighting games in general), but they've already proven there's a market for the games to sell well, and it's kind of interesting to see a company not bending over backwards because people get their oh-so sensitive feelings hurt.

People (not a whole lot, but people nonetheless) got offended with that Hindu goddess in Smite, and everyone said the devs should have left it on the main page because it's what they wanted and it's their game. Well, same thing happening here. It's Team Ninja's game and if you don't feel comfortable with their representation of women, then don't support it with your money.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Team Ninja, how's that depiction of women helping current declining Japanese birthrates?