Dragon's Dogma 2

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So I played this for like 4 hours and man the nostalgia hits hard! This actually feels a ton more like the first game than I expected it to. Even the plot feels similar enough. I gotta say I love the feel of the orthodox fantasy adventure setting it has, it's got this sort of purity to it that I missed. The combat especially felt quite similar, with some emphasis on stamina management but not quite as heavy as souls games. It's more in that in-between space Sekiro inhabited where regular attacks don't use up stamina but things like blocking or special moves do.

As for the look of the game, I'm on ps5 and it's not like the prettiest game ever made but I just love the design of the monsters and everything, even the new beastfolk race is pretty unique-looking, they're all kinda like lion-people lol.

The only thing that at first confused me was the lack of a lock on mechanism, but then I remembered this is Capcom and Monster Hunder doesn't have lock on either so I just kinda went with it, and yeah after the first few fights I didn't notice much wrong with it at all.

About the only thing the game has is that it's a bit too easy if you have a full pawn party going, so I just used my personal one as a mage healer and buffer and I do all the fighting myself, not had any need to hire other extra pawns yet.

Oh and I saw people mention the microtransactions but all this stuff is totally useless, you must really suck at the game if you need to buy it. No normal person should need it lol.
From the videos I've seen on the game (I've downloaded it but haven't had a chance to play), it looks like it plays exactly like the first game, but it looks like there's different moves/animations/skills for the combat. I recall stamina mainly being there for the climbing/gripping enemies aspect in the 1st game, I don't recall stamina mattering too much in actual combat, though it was annoying when just running around outside of combat.

I never got the point of lock-on returning to games, we got rid of it way back on PS2 with games like Prince of Persia:SOT and God of War. There's no reason you can't program your character to attack the enemies you're pointing the analog stick at.

I recall the first game being somewhat easy, it was a bit hard initially learning the game and whatnot along with the enemies being tougher at night. But once you got a decent grapple on the game, it was rather difficult to actually die unless you just found some enemy you weren't supposed to fight yet.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
People have a right to complain about it. All you're doing is just making excuses. Just because someone like you and I don't need it doesn't make it right or better. They're still charging for people who are impatient or have addictive spending tendencies. They technically already did this with re4 remake with those golden tickets for weapon upgrades. Yes you can get them legit through the game, but we're not the target audience in that case. They're targeting people who almost always go for Michael transactions or exploit those with it addictive tendencies. That's an issue rather you like it or not. Whether you disagree or not. I don't want to hear how it's about a big deal or you putting in lol. It's a problem that needs to be called out on and I will do so forever more. I may be a Capcom fan, but I'm not a blind Capcom fan. I didn't call him their crap out since the 2010s when they first got into their dork age. I called them out so they can be better, and not screw people over. Don't forget that the president of the freaking company straight up said that these games should cost more than $70 and should not be at that price. Do you know how full of crap and idiotic that sounds?

Capcom, I like you guys I'm glad you getting better, but if you believe you should be charging more than these at the premium already price or going for a hundred bucks or more I'm going to just stop by your games all together or just wait until there's a deep sale or I got a gift card with a hundred bucks on it. Because I ain't paying for shit if you think about that in the future.

I think it's the person's responsibility to not buy this stuff more so than the company's not to sell it. If you can't avoid buying these things I can't see how you can function in your everyday life, what with all those ads popping up everywhere selling you stuff that may actually be useful to you somehow. Frankly I don't think people like that actually exist or they'd just instantly bankrupt themselves and then be homeless and not playing ps5 games. The fact that you can hold your life together enough to play this game is enough proof that you can be trusted with the responsibility of not buying upgrades you're meant to earn. At some point I think personal responsibility kicks in here.

From the videos I've seen on the game (I've downloaded it but haven't had a chance to play), it looks like it plays exactly like the first game, but it looks like there's different moves/animations/skills for the combat. I recall stamina mainly being there for the climbing/gripping enemies aspect in the 1st game, I don't recall stamina mattering too much in actual combat, though it was annoying when just running around outside of combat.

I never got the point of lock-on returning to games, we got rid of it way back on PS2 with games like Prince of Persia:SOT and God of War. There's no reason you can't program your character to attack the enemies you're pointing the analog stick at.

I recall the first game being somewhat easy, it was a bit hard initially learning the game and whatnot along with the enemies being tougher at night. But once you got a decent grapple on the game, it was rather difficult to actually die unless you just found some enemy you weren't supposed to fight yet.

Stamina is for dashing, for the special moves and for class-specific actions, I play fighter/warrior so you use stamina to block with your shield and to grab and toss items and enemies, on top of the climbing atop huge beasts thing. Archers use it for their aimed shots, rogues if I recall correctly have these hyper-dodges (think fast bloodborne sidesteps) but yeah the regular mash Square moves don't use up any stamina.

And yeah I don't remember all the moves since I played a warrior for most of my time in dark arisen and I haven't unlocked it yet so I'm still on the sword and board loadout which I swapped out of as fast as I could back in the day so I have a very limited memory of the sort of moves you did but there does seem to be a lot more stuff you can unlock with your DPs. So far my fav thing is the perfect deflect which is basically a sekiro parry.

For me Dark Arisen was pretty hard actually, but I think it depends how you go about it as far as pawns go, if you have a full party it's very easy but if you just use your individual one and have it just sit back and let you fight like I did it gets harder. I think they made it harder in DA too, so if you played the base game maybe that's part of why it felt easy.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think it's the person's responsibility to not buy this stuff more so than the company's not to sell it. If you can't avoid buying these things I can't see how you can function in your everyday life, what with all those ads popping up everywhere selling you stuff that may actually be useful to you somehow. Frankly I don't think people like that actually exist or they'd just instantly bankrupt themselves and then be homeless and not playing ps5 games. The fact that you can hold your life together enough to play this game is enough proof that you can be trusted with the responsibility of not buying upgrades you're meant to earn. At some point I think personal responsibility kicks in here.
Well personal responsibility is important, it's also a responsibility of these companies to stop exploiting people with addictive tendencies or those that lack self-controls or mental problems. All you're doing is victim blaming. How about these companies man up and actually take responsibilities. They already made a high amount of money beforehand. It's nothing more than simple greed. All you're doing is being a coward for greedy people at the top who don't give a rat's ass about you. Remember that.

I love RE4R but I'm not afraid to call out the DLC bullcrap Capcom pulled off. For the record, I'm not including Separate Ways because that one they actually did fine. I'm strictly talking about the micros.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well to be absolutely fair, people are not reading the part that says "All the items listed below can be obtained in-game or as paid DLC items." And so far I didn't feel any need to pay for anything. So props to Capcom for doing that.

Still baffled about the whole 5 installation limit thing; First time I've heard Denuvo or DRM doing this in gaming;
Sure, and the same is true for Assassin's Creed games but those are go-to examples of horrific immoral monetization.

It's just funny the double standards for these things and I'm gonna keep pointing them out.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
So I played this for like 4 hours and man the nostalgia hits hard! This actually feels a ton more like the first game than I expected it to. Even the plot feels similar enough.
I heard on a review or discussion that it's like a parallel world as the first game and they happen at the same time or something. Kind of goes with the pawn system, with pawns being shared across those worlds. So I think Dragon's Dogma 2 is like Evil Dead 2- not the next thing in the story but like a better version of the story.

Which I'm personally pleased about because I may play this game some day (discount etc) but I have no desire to try the first one again so I won't feel I missed anything.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
...They're targeting people who almost always go for Michael transactions or exploit those with it addictive tendencies....
I know you meant to say microtransactions not Michael transactions but since my real first name is Michael this made me giggle and now I'm thinking about the idea of Michael transactions lol

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know you meant to say microtransactions not Michael transactions but since my real first name is Michael this made me giggle and now I'm thinking about the idea of Michael transactions lol
I really got to stop using Google speak when it comes to certain words or phrases. Glad to make you laugh.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I heard on a review or discussion that it's like a parallel world as the first game and they happen at the same time or something. Kind of goes with the pawn system, with pawns being shared across those worlds. So I think Dragon's Dogma 2 is like Evil Dead 2- not the next thing in the story but like a better version of the story.

Which I'm personally pleased about because I may play this game some day (discount etc) but I have no desire to try the first one again so I won't feel I missed anything.

Huh, that's quite interesting. The plot is pretty simple so far but the moment to moment gameplay with all the epic monsters you fight is more what the game's about. I can see it being like the same broad strokes but the details differing. Like you still get your heart eaten by the dragon but you're toasted more in this one lol.

Pawns kinda live in some other world entirely and they travel from it but they don't know why, and you can create one of them yourself which is your main buddy too. So you as the arisen can act as some sort of anchor and bring them over to your world. I dunno if there exist infinite ones so the one you make already existed somewhere and came to you or if it came into being when you made it though. That'd be interesting.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
The funny thing about the DRM is that people are already using cheat engines to get all the in-game money they want, and then buy those microtransaction stuff. And Capcom hasn't done jack shit about that.

I would actually encourage people to cheat in this game, because no one should pay $2 everytime they want to change their Arisen's appearance

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
10 hours in and i have reached the conclusion that I fucking hate this game. I hate the restrictive systems that server no purpose, I hate that it's deliberately obtuse but doesn't offer the open freedom something like Elden Ring offers, I hate that the loot in unrewarding and basically boils down to you pinching every drop of gold to buy upgraded equipment that you then have to upgrade further with materials that bog your character and your pawns down immediately, I hate that my fighter cannot dodge roll, I hate that the grapple/grab and climb mechanic doesn't work half the time and seems to only work when it feels like, it's clunky, it runs like absolute ass....How this game became a cult classic is beyond me because it's frankly unplayable.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I also really hate the health loss mechanic; Who thought this was a great idea? I guess it forces you to tackle on each fight more carefully and really watch your steps, but everytime I die and load the last save i permanently lose chunk of my HP unless you rest at inn or campsite. But oops, you need to KNOW you have to have a camping kit with you. It discourages exploring; if I step into wrong direction, I want to safely go back without losing my HP.

After dying you have an option to start from the last save w/ hp loss or start from last inn rested. Starting from last inn rested does heal you all the way, but it also means you have to walk all the way back, and YOU LOSE the progress you've made ever since. Keep in mind these return you to the last inn or the private residence you rested at not the camp. Ferrystones are there, but expensive af.

Combat can be fun, but I feel I get stun-locked way too often while even the simplest goblins take multiple hits to break their stance

But I do like how the game basically forces you to have yourself and the pawns cover all vocations; As a thief I thought I could do my usual "speedy knifes go brrr" tactic, but with the short stamina I can only take on enemies by myself for so long; I need my mage to heal and deal fire damage, ranger to bring the airborne enemies to the ground (harpies can go fuck themselves), and fighter to be the frontline

I hate that my fighter cannot dodge roll, I hate that the grapple/grab and climb mechanic doesn't work half the time and seems to only work when it feels like, it's clunky, it runs like absolute ass....How this game became a cult classic is beyond me because it's frankly unplayable.
I think it's like Genshin Impact; You need to have an acquired taste, and while the game pisses me off and it's nowhere near good as soulsborne games, It's still better than recent fantasy games I've played. And trust me, dodging isn't all that cracked up to be; If my timing is off or I dodge to the wrong direction I quickly get surrounded. I personally think I would rather block all the hits as a fighter.

Have you tried unlocking other vocations? I would recommend theif if you want a dodge option but as I've said, you have to me methodical about using it

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
The combat is really fun, you just kinda gotta get used to it, also the fighter is pretty basic, the warrior and the rogue is where its at, you gotta get all those upgraded moves and use passives of multiple different classes on your build to let the game shine more.

As for climbing and throwing, that only works on staggered enemies, like the second hit of your triangle attack on the fighter, and there's no big huge indicator of when that's going on, you just gotta tell through their body language, like in monster hunter.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've decided to just cap at 60 fps, and I'm still seeing drops here and there.

I was gonna let the DRM thing pass, but then I saw this on the steam product page:

View attachment 10883

So install the game five times on different machine and then it becomes a digital paperweight.
I'm not trying to defend DRM by any means, but do you often play a game on 5 different PCs in a single day? Seems like it would be a non-issue for pretty much everybody.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So, dumb question maybe, but is there a New Game option in this game? I started up this game yesterday half-heartedly just to check out the character creation and how it looked, but then today when I decided to go for a more decicated character I found that the main menu only had 'load from last save' and 'load from last inn you stayed'. So is there a way to start a new game if you already have a save, or do I need to literally delete the save from my console before I'm allowed to start a new game? Because I for the life of me can't find the New Game option anywhere.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So, dumb question maybe, but is there a New Game option in this game? I started up this game yesterday half-heartedly just to check out the character creation and how it looked, but then today when I decided to go for a more decicated character I found that the main menu only had 'load from last save' and 'load from last inn you stayed'. So is there a way to start a new game if you already have a save, or do I need to literally delete the save from my console before I'm allowed to start a new game? Because I for the life of me can't find the New Game option anywhere.
You only get 1 save. So you can only continue from any progress you might have made unless you delete the save file from your system.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I'm not trying to defend DRM by any means, but do you often play a game on 5 different PCs in a single day? Seems like it would be a non-issue for pretty much everybody.
Oh ffs, I misread that as a 5 lifetime installation. I guess installing on 5 different computers on a same is very situational.

I am also trying to figure out how the carry weight works, because no matter how much i try to keep the weights light I am always at average level.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Oh ffs, I misread that as a 5 lifetime installation. I guess installing on 5 different computers on a same is very situational.

I am also trying to figure out how the carry weight works, because no matter how much i try to keep the weights light I am always at average level.
Probably equipment weight factor in.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Man what a prime example of why games should not go mainstream waka waka.

I been peering into the internet my copy is coming Monday but hot damn I am seeing a lot of vitriol and its so heated you can't the factual from the overblown.

From what I can pertain some main complaints like FPS. I have to play it first I am getting it on PS5. My special eyes probably won't notice but I am a mad man who would play mystic knight set up sigals and cannons and chop the shit up the frames on purpose just to see death around me.

MTX will always be stupid and pointless in any price tag and Capcoms is always the worst. Like the EA and Ubisofts get professional psychologist to make sure the game it setup to lead your ass to them with care and cunning and effort at least. Capcom mtx are shit you get in the game easily for like 30 minutes in. DMC5 and R4R had them for some unknown reason. I heard the Monster Hunter Rise were especially awful but I didn't play just hear say.

As for gameplay quirks I have to first play this game first before anything to get that feel for it.

This hyped and psyched.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Man what a prime example of why games should not go mainstream waka waka.

I been peering into the internet my copy is coming Monday but hot damn I am seeing a lot of vitriol and its so heated you can't the factual from the overblown.

From what I can pertain some main complaints like FPS. I have to play it first I am getting it on PS5. My special eyes probably won't notice but I am a mad man who would play mystic knight set up sigals and cannons and chop the shit up the frames on purpose just to see death around me.

MTX will always be stupid and pointless in any price tag and Capcoms is always the worst. Like the EA and Ubisofts get professional psychologist to make sure the game it setup to lead your ass to them with care and cunning and effort at least. Capcom mtx are shit you get in the game easily for like 30 minutes in. DMC5 and R4R had them for some unknown reason. I heard the Monster Hunter Rise were especially awful but I didn't play just hear say.

As for gameplay quirks I have to first play this game first before anything to get that feel for it.

This hyped and psyched.
Kinda agree, I'm just glad it seems like they mostly stuck to what made the first one work rather than change it to become more normal (only like 2 hour in atm so will need to judge it later). I'm getting decent FPS with mid range PC atm, not amazing but perfectly playable.

10 hours in and i have reached the conclusion that I fucking hate this game. I hate the restrictive systems that server no purpose, I hate that it's deliberately obtuse but doesn't offer the open freedom something like Elden Ring offers, I hate that the loot in unrewarding and basically boils down to you pinching every drop of gold to buy upgraded equipment that you then have to upgrade further with materials that bog your character and your pawns down immediately, I hate that my fighter cannot dodge roll, I hate that the grapple/grab and climb mechanic doesn't work half the time and seems to only work when it feels like, it's clunky, it runs like absolute ass....How this game became a cult classic is beyond me because it's frankly unplayable.
I mostly liked the first one because it did a lot of stuff other game did but avoided many pitfall that I disliked.

Like the combat isn't dominated by annoying frame like what the souls franchise has become (i-frame, parry frame). Class play really differently, you don't have mage being essentially archer except they shoot/ice/lighting instead of arrow. There's no avalanche of garbage loot like a diablo/borderland. Exploring doesn't have the usual open world problem where everything is already marked on the map and you just pick it up. You get to fight giant monster without all the annoyance and grinding of a monster hunter.

Ultimately to each their own, I still don't get why witcher 3 is so well regarded when 90% of the time its a mediocre action/RPG punctuated by occasional good writing but some people seem to think its peak gaming.

Reactions: Jarrito3002