Duke Nukem Forever Review

S_SienZ

Jan 26, 2011
Isn't all this what DNF is supposed to be about?

I'd be pretty darn disappointed if the game was developed seriously, and had an amazing storyline conveying a heavy thought-provoking theme or shit like that.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I recently rented it for the PS3, and it's a total piece of shit. Good God, what a disappointment.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
With the way Gearbox had been promoting the game, I kind of called it. I didn't really pay attention to its release because I figured out what was going on. Also the way women are objectified here puts women in videogames football fields back in terms of progress.

But Surely the game has to appeal to some people though.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Duke Nukem Forever sucks after 14 years in development?
I am so excited for the Zero Punctuation review (assuming he can get a copy past the game gestapo of Australia)

Notere

Sep 11, 2008
This just in: He also hated on Portal 2. My judgment is reserved, and I'm only here for the game footage.

Anyone else getting the distinct link between the author's continued personal input on the site and the ill-fated Game Dogs series? You should.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Still going to get it, who cares if it got bad reviews, its for Duke fans, so leave it at that.

demontrace

May 29, 2011
Bottom Line: Duke Nukem Forever is a deeply flawed game that I would have stopped playing after five minutes were it not a requirement of my job to play longer. Although no amount of money could have convinced me to press on all the way to the end.

Recommendation: If you are stuck on a deserted island with only this game to play, go fishing instead. Worth playing so that you may be able to say that you did, but otherwise imminently forgettable and not worth your time.
Lol that bottom line made me laugh, along with the start of the recommendation. Very funny. Too bad the game is terrible.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Yep, I played the demo and got the same feeling. Such a shame seeing that I went into it hoping that it would live up to its predecessors standards, but it failed and now I'm left not only disappointed, but very very sad.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Your video should be called '10 things I would like about Duke Nukem if I wasn't a hardcore nerd'.

This game isn't designed for the pretentious hardcore gamers you find on places like the escapist.

I let a few friends (who don't play games) have a go on my computer because it seemed like a game early 20s males would find really funny and we just spent the whole time having a laugh.

The game is not great, but it is better than all the serious clone FPS games that have come out recently. I put it on par with Turok, the graphics are ok, the mechanics are ok, the story is interesting enough to keep you playing and it has some really over the top humour (Duke is such a douche bag).

Not a great game but enjoyable nonetheless.

EDIT: It took you an hour to beat the Queen Alien? Why were you the one reviewing this game...

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Notere said:
This just in: He also hated on Portal 2. My judgment is reserved, and I'm only here for the game footage.

Anyone else getting the distinct link between the author's continued personal input on the site and the ill-fated Game Dogs series? You should.

Hmmmmm.....interesting. He hated on Portal 2? Well, I'm definitely buying Duke tomorrow then. If you hate Portal 2, you really don't understand the games you're playing.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I knew it was gonna suck for the fact it took so long to be made. Too many people had their hands in its creation and you end up with a bunch of ideas that aren't fully realized.

Mendaceum

Jan 18, 2011
Why..why...why...WHY!

Why did they have to make it cover-based? Why couldn't they make what it should have been, a Doom/DukeNukem style run n' gun, no cover, no regenerating health bar style shooter? A homage to that era of games? Why even bother to use the modern, generic COD/Gears/Everydamnothergame style shooter, when what we wanted was a trip to nostalgialand?

/headdesk. I wanted this to be good so..very..badly.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Russ Pitts said:
I seem to recall you saying in that recent podcast that you were not going to review DNF because of your personal feelings about it. I take it that something interfered with your plan and you had to be the one to review it anyway? :s

In any event, I wasn't going to buy this game no matter what scores it got. Bad scores though... certainly make me feel more "right" in that choice. :eek:

FranckN

Mar 14, 2011
while playing Duke Nukem I had the feeling i was re Playing Half Life 2. Alien invasion, puzzle solving, vehicle riding, the guns style.
The only difference is that half life has a more charming and interesting main character ;P

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I feel bad for this game. It's been over 12 years since the game was announced, and now that it's finally being released, it's gets poor reviews. I'm still going to play this game...when I can get it cheap. I plan on buying Alice: Madness Returns tomorrow.

joebthegreat

Nov 23, 2010
It isn't humor that simply appeals to immature little brats. It's humor that appeals to people who are secure enough with their maturity to be able to laugh at ridiculous "childish" jokes. Quit being insecure. Quit talking about how you're totally older than the little brats who would laugh at this stuff. If you're so damn sophisticated go watch "Yes Minister" and play Europa Universalis. If you're so damn sophisticated this game shouldn't have even been a blip on your radar.