Duke Nukem Forever Review

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Did anyone honestly expect this game to be good? I bought it out of the sheer novelty of it all. And tits

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
All I can say is: 'satire is truly dead'. The person who made the Rocky Horror comment nailed it, even if I can't necessarily say that 'most people were expecting Michael Bay'... but it's clear just from the text of the reviews that many (most?) reviewers are taking DNF much too seriously.

After all, it was the game that was nearly killed by EverQuest, fer god's sake. Can you get more absurd than that?

pitasgame

Sep 22, 2009
In an age of hyper-realism, super maturity, and designers trying to kill themselves making life like characters that appeal to "everyone", I think it's about damn time we got someone that everyone can't stand again. Screw your PC BS and need to be a serious hardcore gamer. Pick up the controller and let loose, have fun.
That's what Duke's about.
I love the game so far. The little pokes it takes here and there at society and gaming in general. The gross factor it sometimes dabbles in (which has helped make some movies a lot of money btw), and the old school college buddy "dude" sense of humour.
Sometimes the gameplay seems a little sketchy and wonky, and the load time on the console is a killer (yawn), but overall it's fun, funny and just plain f****** Duke!
I enjoy it because I want to turn off my brain and actually have some enjoyment and some fun. I don't want to think about the game I'm playing ALL the time! I have other games for that.
I was not disappointed in the game, I have been enjoying playing it, and I'm super glad that I bought it yesterday.
Oh and btw, I'm a chick. I don't find it offensive and it's refreshing that there's a game out there where they are not always trying not to offend someone :S Really guys. Chill. It's just a game. Isn't that why we game? Not always for headshots, kill ratios, indepth complicated storylines, and realistic machine gun kickback. Those things are awesome, yes, but sometimes it's just nice to sit back, grab a beer, and kill some alien scum who took all our chicks!

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
This review didn't tell me anything about the value of the game. Are their gameplay mechanic flaws, graphic flaws, sound flaws? Glitches...any broken aspects of the game that makes it unplayable or a chore to play? Thats what I want to know. I played the crap out of duke Nukem 3d...even the old Dos 2d platformer....give me something I can use. If you have played Duke before, you know what you are getting into...and look forward to the crude style humour. "This is KTIT K-tit...playing the breast...er...best tunes in town". Want mature...go play the "mature" blood bath of Call of Duty airport scene and listen to some fine racist/prejudice banter of the 12 year olds bleeting on the multiplayer.

This review is a 2 out of ten. Guess I have to wait for a real critic on game trailers or something to give a proper review on its buying worth.

unca_laguna

May 24, 2010
Samcanuck said:
This review didn't tell me anything about the value of the game. Are their gameplay mechanic flaws, graphic flaws, sound flaws? Glitches...any broken aspects of the game that makes it unplayable or a chore to play? Thats what I want to know. I played the crap out of duke Nukem 3d...even the old Dos 2d platformer....give me something I can use. If you have played Duke before, you know what you are getting into...and look forward to the crude style humour. "This is KTIT K-tit...playing the breast...er...best tunes in town". Want mature...go play the "mature" blood bath of Call of Duty airport scene and listen to some fine racist/prejudice banter of the 12 year olds bleeting on the multiplayer.

This review is a 2 out of ten. Guess I have to wait for a real critic on game trailers or something to give a proper review on its buying worth.
I think that's the problem though. reviewers acting like critics. I'm friggin disgusted when guys like 1up give this game an F when its in no way broken. all they do is complain about the character and the stupid world he lives in.

unca_laguna

May 24, 2010
addendum: not to say that reviewers can't judge on aesthetic merit, but that alone should never take a game down to low score unless what you're writing is a CRITIQUE and not a review.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Well, there's always Bulletstorm.

If you're disappointed with DNF, get it instead. Captures the 90s run and gun fun much better.
Bulletstorm captures 90's run and gun?... I never got that impression.

Not sure what I'd recommend for that tbh. Left 4 Dead 2 I guess?

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Levethian said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Well, there's always Bulletstorm.

If you're disappointed with DNF, get it instead. Captures the 90s run and gun fun much better.
Bulletstorm captures 90's run and gun?... I never got that impression.

Not sure what I'd recommend for that tbh. Left 4 Dead 2 I guess?
Because coop is the 90's thing.

Dreamkiller is more like. But... if you have stomach to play Dreamkiller, you will have stomach to play DNF.

The true must be said, just play Painkiller again.

Semi-Human

Nov 16, 2010
Why are some ppl ppl so pissed with this review? have you checked any of the other sites? They all either rate it as bad or just down right awefull.

you love this game? ...so what? some ppl still think tyler perry movies are worth paying for, doesn't mean they don't suck. I mean good for you if your not just saying that to trick your self in to thinking you didn't waste your money. but do you really think that every review site out there has the same bias and gets it wrong?

Its not like ppl where expecting a epic story or realistic combat. they where expecting silly but cool action, immature but funny jokes, over the top gore that would gross you out and then laught at it. Instead what they got was a bland half-assed failed attempt at these things

Koios

Jul 28, 2010
smut said:
Koios said:
smut said:
What a horrible game and sick of all the fanboys trying to use every excuse in the book to justify the shitty gameplay "well it is made just for fun, WHY SO SERIOUZ!!!". What the fuck does that even mean?!? That doesn't excuse all the problems the game has and you know it. But typically people who just dropped 60+ on a game that turns out to be a turd will justify to themselves that it is a great game. They don't want to admit they bought a turd, human nature I guess.
I have a friend who got it for free from someone else, played it, and had fun. He didn't drop $60, so what's his excuse?
I said typically, not all of the time. I know many friends who bought shitty games but just couldn't admit it to themselves because hey, who likes to admit they spent 60$ on a turd?
I know those types of people. I have frequent arguments with them, because they've invested too much time in believing in one idea to handle it when I or others prove them wrong. It's annoying. One famous recent example would be those parents who believe in the rapture so much that they're actively destroying their kids' futures.

Samcanuck said:
even the old Dos 2d platformer
I fully agree with your post. I frequently played the 2d games as well, and beat Dr. Proton (?) in the original game multiple times.

Semi-Human said:
some ppl still think tyler perry movies are worth paying for, doesn't mean they don't suck.
The bigger picture here is for everyone to remember that opinions are SUBJECTIVE. It's quite possibly the majority opinion that those movies suck, but some people find them entertaining. People use absolutes mistakenly too often to count.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
squeekenator said:
Why is everyone saying that Yahtzee is going to make a scathing review of this game? He already has.
No he hasn't. The "review" he gave the game made it sound so good that by itself could've made plenty of people doubt whether it actually came out or not.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Stavros Dimou said:
2) The weapon limit feature was also added later and without much consideration.
Wait, they gave Duke a weapon capacity limit? Isn't he supposed to be carrying stupid amounts of guns around with him?

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I would have much preferred that the reviewer included something useful in his video supplement like examples of why, how and when the gameplay sucks, rather than the montage of all the toilet humour the reviewer found objectionable.

Seriously, I do not care how lazy, stupid and phoned-in the game being reviewed is, I don't think it is too much to ask for you to do the job that you presumably get paid to do. Showing an example of how the boss fights break down into an joyless mess would have been worth double, no triple the amount of examples of this game's humour.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
ProtonGuy said:
Gee skip you almost hurt my feelings there. I'm just sick of this site taking the game equivalents of B and C movies and making them out to be the anti-christ. Game are, in essence, toys that evolved over the years when it comes down to it there's a toy for everyone, and somewhere someone will enjoy it. I like Duke, I'm having fun with it, but unfortunately my opinion is in the minority because people would rather believe a star or a number than rent it and form their own opinion.
Where did you get that? A lot of the people on this topic are saying that they're confused by the rating when comparing it to the written review. I personally like to see both a rating and a review, or at least just a review. I find ratings without a review to have too much room left for interpretation. As for why people don't buy the games themselves, maybe they just don't want to risk spending money on a shoddy game.

Greyslash

Jul 29, 2010
Terrible review. DNF is classic Duke, besides the whole 2 weapons addition, that was kinda lame. This game has done what many games in the past could not, it actually made me laugh, and completely enjoy myself. Most games now feel like a chore to be played, and try to be serious and pretend to have a story, even when it doesn't(I'm looking at you Gears of War). Duke is one of those games where you turn off your brain and have good old 90's fun. Hell, add health packs and keycards, might as well have been a homage. I've noticed the only people to appreciate this game have been classic Duke fans, while everyone else has just been complaining how it isn't like Gears or Call of Duty.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
blindthrall said:
Petwins said:
I think this will go on my long list of games I objectively acknowledge as terrible, but enjoy playing none the less
Oh, don't say that, I have huge list of games like that. Dungeon Siege 2, Alpha Protocol, Postal, Deus Ex 2...but not Far Cry 2, I don't care how much people ***** about that game, it was good.
Hey, I thought Far Cry 2 was pretty well designed. Some of the parts I found the most interesting are the healing (where you can jab pliers right into your skin without making any indication that it hurt) and the weapon degradation (yeah, I know some people hate that, but hey, I thought it looked neat the way it was done). Probably the only thing that I can think of that I would want to change are the enemies. Seriously, the only enemies in the game are militia with different kinds of guns. It would've been awesome if they included dangerous animals like lions in the grasslands, hippos and crocodiles in the rivers, etc. This all takes place in Africa so there shouldn't have been too many problems with that. It would've made the environment seem so much more hostile and unforgiving.

gundamrx101

Nov 19, 2010
Now what I find weird is that everything in this game is what made DUke famous in the first place. I'm not talking about the gameplay, I heard it just copied what modern FPS' look like (MW3 is somehow going to get a 9 out of 10 for some reason). I'm talking about it's attitude. It's everything every Duke fan grew up on, the crude toilet humour, the naked ladies and the one liners. Now everyone hates it and thinks Duke should have grown up with the times. Why? So he could be more like Batman? I ain't touching this game, as I've never played a Duke game before in my life but I want to know why Duke fans are syaing Duke is childish when he's the same Duke from the older games.

PS. Why do reviews act like this game was going to revolutionize the whole FPS genre? Yes it was in development for 12 years, but do you know how much time was spent actually developing it? about maybe 2 years. Considering 3D relams spent most of those 12 years going bankrupt and getting sued. Oi vay

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I haven't found it to be THAT bad so far. Okay I guess disappointment would make it hurt more, but also maybe I've been playing less than stellar games recently for the extra experience (summer doldrums?) so I'm just extra forgiving right now haha