Duke Nukem Forever

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
I agree, we definately need those 90's style shooters back. Cover based and realistic Modern warfare combat simulators that we know as COD are getting very boring. Hopefully Duke will bring back that "90's" feel and some variety to our Fps games.

gurall200

Apr 14, 2009
To be honest, was anyone really expecting some mammoth behemoth of a game, the past few games that have had lengthy development cycles haven't been very good, S.T.A.L.K.E.R (which was admittedly not my type of game), and Too Human (see yahtzee's review of it) for example. Even then, it's a duke nukem game, what are you expecting, it will have all the depth of a piece of paper with a drawing of duke killing a alien with 2 girls at his legs, wasn't that the game we've been expecting for 13 years (except in actual 3D)?

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
I'll only play Duke Nukem Forever on these conditions:

1. It ACTUALLY comes out.

2. It's mature as all F%ck.

3. It contains any/all the things Yathzee mentioned in his alternate-dimension parody review.

4. Duke actually remembers to bring more bubble gum when he's kicking ass.

Hail to the king, babe!

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
I don't expect Duke to be the mind-blowing revolution, but I do expect it to be a nice throwback to classic silly balls-to-the wall, flat-out FUN shooters.

Oh yeah, and titty-faceplants. You can't go wrong with those.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
Generic_Dave said:
WOW! OPTIMISM FROM Yahtzee! Will wonders never cease. I have to say, I do miss the "I'm a HARD-ASS and you're all DEAD!" run-in's from the old days...the last game I remember having that kind of sensibility that I played was Haze, I know it was panned and killed off Free Radical Games, and the first time I played it I hated it.

But I went back, and was able to appreciate the satire, blunt and hardly intelligent satire, but there nonetheless of the arrogant "Mantel" soldiers, with their "HOO-RAAAAAAAAAAH!"'s and talk about the cannibal enemies. The ability to take anyone to school and the slightly disturbing moments when the invisible dead bodies intrude.

But what was really fun was, that while not an easy game, it never forced you to stop. You could go through shooting, no cover, no dodge, and if you were quick and shooty enough you "Kicked ass and chewed Bubblegum!".

I too look forward to a lower emphasis on "realistic" brown and grey shooters with broody leads and sadistic tendencies. I mean who doesn't prefer Vice City's garish campness to GTA IV's brown and grey (though beautiful and incredibly well realised and playable) scenery. I know which one I had more fun playing anyway. Bring back the less realistic! HUZZAH FOR NOT TAKING YOURSELF TOO SERIOUSLY!
I have no idea why, but reading your review made me think that it'd be hilaribad if someone took say... a Tony Hawk game engine, and used it to create a shooter, complete with skateboarders, cars, and skateable city. Yeah.

You could call it: Hilaribad: The Lollerning.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
After 12 years of development, you've got a lot to prove, Duke Nukem Forever.
I find such a statement bizarre. Since I considered it amounted to vapourware for the longest time, I expected nothing of it. I suppose the other way to view the darkness is a world of possibility but I always figured until something is in your hands anything else is speculation without much basis.

Thank you DNF for helping teach me patience with my anticipation for possible games and go find other fun stuff to do in the mean time.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
"There is absolutely nothing the developers can put out that will be in the slightest bit worth the wait."

What exactly does waiting for a game cost?

If one had preordered in cash I could see an opportunity cost, but other than that...

A studio announces a game. At some point, it will come out, and one would either buy it or not.

I can see a game being evaluated as being worth its purchase price or not, but "worth the wait"...

The wait didn't cost anyone anything unless one is so willing to invest one's time and energy into something that, for all practical purpose, does not exist as a consumer product until it is actually released that one feels a tangible loss if it is substandard or never comes out at all.

What does waiting cost?

Unless DNF comes out with a pricetag proportional to its development schedule, should anyone really care how long it took to make? I foresee a deluge of comments to the effect of "DNF isn't bad, but it would have been better if it came out X years ago" which is a perspective I really have a tough time wrapping my head around, aside from graphical fidelity.

DNF will either come out or it won't. It will either be good or it won't. The idea that it has to compensate for the longer than average duration between its initial announcement and its commercial release strikes me as a fallacy.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Uber Waddles said:
Also, about your 1990's appeal, I assume you didnt play the demo or watch any videos on it? Its defineately wacky; theres a piss stream mechanic ffs! YOU CONTROL YOUR PISS STREAM.

Worth $60 just right there.
Stubbs the Zombie had that, too. Runs in backwards compatible mode on the 360 I think.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I am amazed by what I've just read
totally agree with Yahtzee on this one! lol

bring back some of the 90s
(need some MC Hammer in the DNF OST...lol jk)

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
teh_Canape said:
Corpse XxX said:
Certain body parts inbetween titts is also good!
like, more tits!?

tits between tits is awesome!!!

(that is, if they are two subjects, because if it's one subject with 4 tits, god help us)

but yeah, on topic, it's nice to see some variation in our fairly conservative gaming world =P
Actually, there's supposed to be an alien with three tits in the game...

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
I happened to be one of those who got to play Duke Nukem this year at PAX. I've never played the original games, (falling just on the cusp of "too young") but the game felt more like an homage to me than anything. Like it was paying tribute to the crude, over the top antics of nineties culture. You start the Goddamn game by taking a leak, (as in, "Press X to piss") and several of the guns have a max ammo capacity of 69. The game, or at least the demo, is self-aware, referencing its long development time and what-not. It certainly won't be anything we've never seen before, but it'll definitely be something we haven't seen in a very long time.

TheTourist314

Dec 9, 2009
"Hype and anticipation is like Schroedinger's Cat; everything's fine until the subject actually gets released and then the waveform collapses."

Anyone else besides me bugged by the blatant misuse of Schrodinger's cat (and I don't mean the misspelling)?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
It's been already pointed out but back with the silly FPS where you could storm in a room full badguys with only a pistol and still kick their asses. More run and gun games!

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Koeryn said:
I have no idea why, but reading your review made me think that it'd be hilaribad if someone took say... a Tony Hawk game engine, and used it to create a shooter, complete with skateboarders, cars, and skateable city. Yeah.

You could call it: Hilaribad: The Lollerning.
And you could get extra points for executing people while catching air and grinding! I wanna see a shoulder mounted nuclear missile launcher launched from a Skate Board now!