Duke Nukem Forever

Grey_Area

Jun 26, 2008
The fact that the actual advent of DNF is possibly going to be the biggest anticlimax ever notwithstanding, I actually have some shred in me of looking forward to this game. It might in all truth be good, but I doubt that it can be great. I hope it will be great, but I'm steeling myself against the disappointment that it won't be the best thing on the planet.

Of course, after 12 years I doubt they would have released it if it was going to suck, but there is also that as an option.

I'll settle for a quietly satisfying experience.

Grey_Area

Jun 26, 2008
Reading some of the comments, it seems that people are calling for less realism and back to what "FPS is all about". I'd take a slightly different tack. What I want from game designers is for them to have an idea and make it life. If they want to make a run and gun beefy in your face game then do so. If they want to recreate The Great War then do that. If you want to make an awesome sneaker game that really does deserve another brilliant folowup then make Thief 2.

There is no single "real FPS" style. They are all valid. We all want something different in our games. Lets just hope that developers can still focus on all types of games so we are all satisfied, however different our tastes may be.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Corpse XxX said:
Certain body parts inbetween titts is also good!
like, more tits!?

tits between tits is awesome!!!

(that is, if they are two subjects, because if it's one subject with 4 tits, god help us)

but yeah, on topic, it's nice to see some variation in our fairly conservative gaming world =P

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hey, Ben, don't blame me; I voted for your Painkiller review- if for no other reason than it got turned into a marketing blurb on Steam.

But, really, I do agree... something a bit more of a throwback, more cartoony, is really of what the FPS genre needs right now. I like story, I like complexity, I like clever mechanics- but I also like unloading inordinate amounts of ordinance (inordinance?) into the faces of exceptionally ugly monstrosities. A break from having game companies attempt to mimic high literature through the mouth of Beefy McStoicman would be nice.

And who knows, maybe the game really WILL wow us. Stranger things have happened... like the game getting finished in the first place.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I think this parallels my opinion on the subject nicely. It seems strange that, for as often as Yahtzee asserts or implies an opinion that neatly matches my own, he will offer up one that I find foreign threatening and weird.

It's like I'm being trolled, but I'm not sure if it when he agrees with me or when he disagrees.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
teh_Canape said:
Corpse XxX said:
Certain body parts inbetween titts is also good!
like, more tits!?

tits between tits is awesome!!!

(that is, if they are two subjects, because if it's one subject with 4 tits, god help us)

but yeah, on topic, it's nice to see some variation in our fairly conservative gaming world =P
So, you are opposed to the existence of the Cow? Generally at least those come with four "teats". Baking as we know it relies upon their existence. Sure, we can always find a new source for dairy products, but if you want to restrict yourself to the "two tits per subject" rule, that narrows the field to people and monkeys.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to make cookies with monkey milk.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Eclectic Dreck said:
So, you are opposed to the existence of the Cow? Generally at least those come with four "teats". Baking as we know it relies upon their existence. Sure, we can always find a new source for dairy products, but if you want to restrict yourself to the "two tits per subject" rule, that narrows the field to people and monkeys.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want to make cookies with monkey milk.
no, I'm not against the existence of cows, they are awesome

besides they only have one teat and 4 nipplz (oh god, am I really saying this!?)

and by subject, I mean, yes, Humans

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Why do I read these; every week I read Yahtzees opinions and get annoyed with them. Stick to the comedy.

Anyways, Yahtzee, your job is not a review what a game SHOULD be, its to review what a game IS. It seems like your saying "I stick by my fake review because screw making new opinions: it better be a titanic super-game!". In which case, you're wrong.

DNF was a game that was just kept on getting the shaft. 3D Realms wasnt a big studio, and it didnt help that they had to scrap the game and start over again because of shifts from generations. A bit of a sob story, but, alas...

Games are supposed to be judged off of their merits. They couldnt finish the game, so they passed it off to get finished. ANd your example of switched studios is weak, since that RARELY happens. Yes, we know YOU didnt like Wet, that doesnt mean every crossover from company to company will be bad.

Trust be told, the game should be judged when it comes out as good or not; not "bad because with a 12 year dev time more could have been done". 3D Realms, for whatever reasons, couldnt do the job. Personally, Im buying this game when it comes out, and Ill judge it for what it is. Its finished, its all that matters.

Also, about your 1990's appeal, I assume you didnt play the demo or watch any videos on it? Its defineately wacky; theres a piss stream mechanic ffs! YOU CONTROL YOUR PISS STREAM.

Worth $60 just right there.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I could care less about DNF as a game, but I am very much looking forward to the review for it when it actually arrives. :)

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Although this text review is certainly a great return to form following the unfunny Kane and Lynch video, one thing he doesn't point out is that the Gearbox dev team tasked with finishing DNF are the same people from 3DRealms who monkeyed around with it for 12 long years. Will this mean more vaporware fumes, or will the change in management mean a completed game that is at least a third of the greatness of the preceding game? Only time will tell.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
romxxii said:
Although this text review is certainly a great return to form following the unfunny Kane and Lynch video, one thing he doesn't point out is that the Gearbox dev team tasked with finishing DNF are the same people from 3DRealms who monkeyed around with it for 12 long years. Will this mean more vaporware fumes, or will the change in management mean a completed game that is at least a third of the greatness of the preceding game? Only time will tell.
Randy will Mainstream their asses if they fall behind.

I agree, pseudo-realistic military shooters are a horse that's been beaten to death in the past five or six years. What made them good was that there were other options in FPS games if you didn't want to play the old call of duty games. Even games that had fantastic settings seemed slower paced just by virtue of "realistic" mechanics. I think we need more variance in the genre (and less FPS games in general, but that's another rant).

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Yahtzee, I can almost guarantee that your final wish will come true. Pretty sure tits are first on the agenda for DNF.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
The big Y has the right idea; if the game can be fun, not take itself seriously, and feature gameplay more innovative than 'well, maybe the wall you hide behind can be broken', then in this environment, it'll be worth while. I'm certainly looking forward to it.