Duke Nukem Train Wreck Trashes Take-Two

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It would be a different matter for L.A Noire if they had just released it on PC, I was even looking for it on Steam before realising it was console only.

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
sunami88 said:
Auxiliary said:
They should have brought LA Noire to the PC as well. Point and click adventures are right up our alley.
Seconded. I really want to play this game, but I'm between consoles at the moment...
If you really want to play exclusive games, there is usually some decent emulators around.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Low Key said:
The best thing about the Duke situation is now Take Two can put out their own, hopefully better game. DNF was still basically a 3D Realms product. It was 90% complete when Gearbox finally got it.
It was 90% stitched together.
I had a pretty good idea of what kind of "development" was going on at 3D Realms prior to Broussard's sale of the Duke; so I didn't buy into the hype.

Sadly, I'm unsure if there is even a future for the Duke. I still believe that he has a place in today's pseudo-physics shooter-laden market, if only for some levity and comedy.
But no. Instead I get to watch as a small army of Halo and CoD4 clones march by unopposed.
Hooray for standardized 2-weapon switching, regenerating health, and cutscene-laden hallways...

Well, that just leaves Deus Ex: Human Revolution as the only game I give a toss about for this year. Hope it doesn't suck.
The only thing I find funny is that this site has the most amount of DNF ad's I've ever seen, while everyone on this site keeps trashing the game with threads about how this game sucks showing up on the hot thread list and now the actual staff members are trashing the game! Ok ok it was the same with EVE and Yahtzee but this is worse!

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, the whole "PC's are the soul source of piracy and lost sales" is rather doubtful given the millions of download of the 360/ps3 versions from various torrent sites. they are always the most active torrents on any search of a multi platform game (in my experience, I grant that may be incorrect over all)

How ever I think that they could improve that out look with releases of Red Dead Redemption and LA Noire on the PC.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
I'd still like to see a proper DN3D sequel. Or at least any shooter which is not military, not Halo and doesn't rely on cover, regenerative health and the retarded two-weapon system.
Serious Sam HD?

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Did no one see this coming? seriously? Once they said "gearbox" I knew it was gonna a cash grab... Someone compared this to the hangover 2. I think that's a pretty apt comparison.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
LA Noire is a flawed game, but some of its core elements deserve to be built upon. I hope the lukewarm sales don't discourage further exploration into its mechanics.
It's kind of sad to think that 900k sales in the first month is only "lukewarm," especially for a game outside the mainstream blockbuster genres.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Warforger said:
The only thing I find funny is that this site has the most amount of DNF ad's I've ever seen, while everyone on this site keeps trashing the game with threads about how this game sucks showing up on the hot thread list and now the actual staff members are trashing the game! Ok ok it was the same with EVE and Yahtzee but this is worse!
It's one of the great ironies of the gaming business, and it's not exclusive to forums either.
This same shit used to happen in Electronic Gaming Monthly.
I would regularly watch EGM totally trash a game in a review panel, only to see an advertisement for that very same game on the next page (sometimes side-by-side).

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
MaxwellEdison said:
Azaraxzealot said:
looks like they'll be getting bought out by EA or Activision after all.

Say hello to GTA milking!

sunami88 said:
Auxiliary said:
They should have brought LA Noire to the PC as well. Point and click adventures are right up our alley.
Seconded. I really want to play this game, but I'm between consoles at the moment...
then they would have had piracy making sales even worse. great.
What the hell are you talking about?
Sorry, I'm just tired of this comment as being used to act like PC gamers shouldn't get games. Piracy cannot decrease sales. The two options you mention go like this-
1. Don't release on PC. Get no add to sales.
2. Release on PC, which obviously means rampant piracy (facepalm.) Even if only one person didn't pirate it for PC, that's an *added* amount of sales.
Unless the total of PC sales exceeds the Direct X conversions(time and money), then it's not worth it.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
DNF didn't deserve the kicking it's got, but thirteen years is along time to wait. I regretably have to agree with a recent CAD comic, it's best before date had long since expired. Still, at least now Gearbox have a chance to make their own Duke game. Now that will be the one worth watching. I should also emphasis that Gearbox aren't to blame for Duke. They inherited a game they had to release on short notice which had been in development hell for longer then the Manhatten project. If they had taken the time required to polish it, it would have been another year, maybe more. Give them another chance, and then judge them, as they are now going to have no excuse that it was made by another developer.

As for L.A. noire, it was never going to be as popular as Red Dead. It's using a genre which is much lesser then western, and it's far different game to the normal Rockstar affair, although they where mainly publishers. As for it being ported to PC, sorry, but your out of luck. Although it will lose them money, Rockstar are console developers primarily, and all ports have been years after their release. In L.A. noires case, maybe it would have done better on PC. But if that was the case, then Team Bondi went to the wrong people.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Hungry Donner said:
Susan Arendt said:
LA Noire is a flawed game, but some of its core elements deserve to be built upon. I hope the lukewarm sales don't discourage further exploration into its mechanics.
It's kind of sad to think that 900k sales in the first month is only "lukewarm," especially for a game outside the mainstream blockbuster genres.
Doesn't sound lukewarm to me. Considering it was a revival of a fairly dead genre, the adventure game, and it is radically different from most modern games. I'd say that's good news that there are that many people still intrested. I also find it hard to belive that this lukewarm, when homefront sold a million units, and was also considered lukewarm. That was nothing new or impressive, and considering L.A. noire got that close to homefront, a game following all the popular trends, I think it's done well.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Low Key said:
The best thing about the Duke situation is now Take Two can put out their own, hopefully better game. DNF was still basically a 3D Realms product. It was 90% complete when Gearbox finally got it.
This.

If Take-Two decides to make another Duke Nukem game, and have any sense or creativity, they can turn this mess into a great jumping off point.

Make a Duke Nukem game that's taking the piss out of how bad Forever was, while Duke poorly attempts to give himself a gritty reboot and attempting to adjust to modern shooter staples.

Soldier: Quickly Duke, get some weapons before the aliens get here!

Duke: No problem, I always keep a few on me just incase there's time for a quickie.

Soldier: Er...Duke? What are you doing?

Duke: What does it look like I'm doing? I'm getting ready.

Soldier: Sorry, Duke. Regulations state only 2 weapons per person.

Duke: What is this horse-shit? Are you serious?!

Soldier: Yeah, it's been this way for a while now. Hasn't anyone told you?

Duke: Jesus, this is what a gang-bang must be like when you're 60.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
lunncal said:
Shame about L.A. Noire not doing so well, I thought it was incredible. However Duke Nukem was pretty much exactly as bad as I thought it was going to be...

I was worried Take Two was in some real trouble here, but they're still up from last year apparently so it can't be all that bad.
Totally agree here. I personally loved L.A. Noire to bits, such a nice break from all the normal games I play.

I just hope this doesn't have too much bearing on Borderlands 2. [sub]Fingers crossed[/sub]

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Well, they can't have honestly expected LA Noire to sell as well as Red Dead. Sounds like their expectations were too high... nothing against the game at all, it's just it's tougher sell to the masses.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
I think anyone pretending that the levels of PC and console game piracy are anywhere close to each other is being disingenuous, but that said, I don't think that releasing LA Noire on PC would have ultimately hurt Take Two. There likely would've been piracy, yes, but there also would've been sales.

Not anymore, its shifted, and from looking at trackers LA noire was pirated about 3 times more than it sold.

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
When 899,000 sales in the space of one month is deemed disappointing, then there's something fucked up with the games industry.
I thought I was the only one who noticed this.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
MaxwellEdison said:
Azaraxzealot said:
looks like they'll be getting bought out by EA or Activision after all.

Say hello to GTA milking!

sunami88 said:
Auxiliary said:
then they would have had piracy making sales even worse. great.
What the hell are you talking about?
Sorry, I'm just tired of this comment as being used to act like PC gamers shouldn't get games. Piracy cannot decrease sales. The two options you mention go like this-
1. Don't release on PC. Get no add to sales.
2. Release on PC, which obviously means rampant piracy (facepalm.) Even if only one person didn't pirate it for PC, that's an *added* amount of sales.
Unless the total of PC sales exceeds the Direct X conversions(time and money), then it's not worth it.
I don't think PC gamers are quite as pirate-y as you think they are. I'm pretty sure LA Noire would have sold well on PC.