EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds like the usual EA shtick.

1.Niche.

2.Shootery but arguably still niche.

3.A Shooter that kinda resembles the first.

I'm not sure this model is sustainable if they need 5 million units base sales.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
And that's when Dead Space turned into a generic third-person shooter and everyone forgot about it.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Dead Space has been well, dead since the sequel.
If I cared about this franchise anymore I'd be pretty indignant right now.

Stemer

Nov 22, 2011
How is this even possible.
People in the thread are saying that the first 2 Dead Space games sold about 2 million copies each, but Human Revolution also sold about 2 million copies and it made massive profits.
Are EA just really bad at accounting?

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
EA wants more people to buy their game and they intend to archive this by making it worse and telling everyone a had of time that its going to be worse, why were they in business again?

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
*shakes head*

I feel like I'm at a mock funeral.

Your business model is a self-eulogy. It dies fast, it's crushed apart like sand and shoveled in with the other crashing stocks and IP investments. Why should we even give a shit if they want to ransom 1 hostage after killing 7 of them? They have burned through so much money, fired and hired so many people yet they're all still at square one, going: PAY US MORE BECAUSE BLAAARGH VIDJAGAMES

Electronic Arts, a videogame publisher run by people who don't even play videogames.

Electronic Arts, anti-splitscreen, because of course you bought another copy for your girlfriend and you both lug your TV and console to each other's room, utterly defeating the purpose of online. Why do both Mass Effect 3 discs have Multiplayer if there's only one online pass? Thanks, jerks. Here's your extra $10, choke on it.

Electronic Arts, who make the David Jaffe articles sound articulate and honest by comparison.

Electronic Arts, digging their own grave.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Alright, so I suppose they're forcing the series to end by setting unreasonably high expectations. :(

Oh well. I don't mind trying to broaden your demographic, but...

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
EA - They know everyone hates them, they know why everyone hates them, and they make no attempt whatsoever to change that. Its ballsy. The kind of balls you want to chop off, dunk in toxic waste and throw back at them.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
When I read the article, I immediately get the image of this kid with really bright eyes giving the pleading-puppy look going, "Hey mistah, I really believe I can do this, honest!"

I wanna give the little kid a tussle of his hair and send him scampering on his way until

I remember this is EA. And I then want to do horrible things to the American Giant, like teach it proper advertising and to refrain from spoiling other kids fun by trying to tell them how to do their job when I cannot remember the last good game that EA developed (NOT published).

I want to show them the defiled body of Dante's Inferno and show them how they managed to screw up the advertising of what could've been greater than God of War. I want to sit them down with a psychiatrist and figure out why the hell they thought their completely retarded 'Your mom will hate Dead Space' campaign.

Maybe I should start that youtube show I have been planning... Complaining about some of the stupid things I have seen happen in the past decade or so of gaming, and saying this is how you can fix it. Try and get games that deserve sequels to be made.

I think EA can be an almight Titan of the industry again, not the fat stagnant beast sitting on its large pile of gold and laughing at the little people.

Their first move seriously reducing the number of retards in their viral marketing department... I hear Ebola would be effective for that.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
But... Dead Space 2 wasn't very good. Why are people saying this is the death knell for the franchise? We all knew it was heading this way when that Dead Space Ignition was released...

Not wanting to play devils advocate here (because EA really don't need an advocate, right?) but as batshit crazy as this "we need to sell five million copies" sounds, there is actually some element of truth in that. As much as I don't like making statements without being able to back them up with citations, i remember about five years ago I was reading something about Hollywood blockbusters, and how they essentially need to make twice their budget back just to break even, when you take into consideration all the marketing, the production and distributions costs and so fourth, and I think the same is happening now with video games.

Do I agree with it? Fuck no. There is one word in my last paragraph which sums up the entire problem.

Marketing.

How much marketing do you fucking need? When games start getting really fucking expensive live action trailers, then you know that things have gone too far. Do I need to see about a minutes worth of live action footage filled with ridiculously expensive cgi of a city getting trashed by a Reaper to tell me that Mass Effect 3 is coming out? No, I don't. I know its coming out. I've known its coming out for almost two years. I don't need to be reminded of the fact by this juggernaught marketing department that is burning more cash than the entirely of the games production did.

I know I'm not the first person to say this on this forum, but god damn it EA, if you want to keep the franchise viable without having to sell unrealistic numbers of copies of the game, stop with all the fucking advertising!!! Haven't we gotten to the point now where advertising is actually becoming detrimental to games? You only need to look at that whole *whisper it* Mass Effect 3 fiasco to see that. The same thing is happening with the Tomb Raider reboot. The same thing is happening with Dead Space 3 (though if anyone truely held up hope of it being any good after the last one...)

This is a very uncertain time for the industry. I personally feel that gaming, as a platform for premier entertainment is - or at least has the potential to - coming into its own, and stand alongside literature or cinema. Better writing, better stories (they are out there, amongst all the FPSes). But with spiralling production costs, ridiculous amounts of hype, and a trio of next gen platforms fast approaching, its all going to be set back. Production costs for games are bad enough right now, when the next gen platforms appear, costs are going to go up even more, probably at the sacrifice of game length or potential for player involvement.

I think the companies are getting too caught up in the technological innovations to see what they really need to be focusing on. Look at the GamePad of the Wii-U, and how badly integrated it seems to be in most games. Ditto the Kinect, which is still struggling to find legitimacy, aside from copy-pasted dancing games that you need a motion capture studio sized space to play effectively. I find it all very distracting, and less immersive.

What I want from games - and I hope I'm not alone here - is interesting, well plotted stories, worlds, characters. I want to be able to play a game, check my watch, and realise I've lost hours because I'm so engrossed. And I cant see that happening much longer, considering the way the industry is going.

Drifted a little off point there, but hey...

SayHelloToMrBullet

Sep 6, 2011
"Dead Space 3 will continue to open up the accessibility of the game"

Well done EA. You've fucked another franchise. This is why nobody likes you.

Rocklobster99 said:
If there's one thing you can say about EA, it's that they never stop trying, even if it doesn't work.
Oh god that's terrible.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Andy Chalk said:
"In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise..."
Oh god... here we go again.

So to make a game have a "broad appeal" is really just PR speak for: Just make it a shooter.

Ever heard of the word genre EA? Go look it up, I'll wait... Yes, that's right. You made a game in the survival horror genre, not that anyone would know it.

The same thing happened to FEAR by the third installment and arguably Mass Effect 3 as well.

The videogame industry should be thinking about ways to make these individual genres more popular instead of diluting them further with the carcinogenic tumor that is the chest high wall.
"Wanna sell 5,000,000 copies? STOP TRYING OTHER GENRES."

To be fair, I'd totally be in for a lower-cost game with a lower sales target, I just wish EA was too.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
I never played Dead Space and this makes me sad. 5 million copies to remain viable?! How does a company with this sort of business model exist?

Rocklobster99 said:
If there's one thing you can say about EA, it's that they never stop trying, even if it doesn't work.
this ad leaves me at a loss for words.

Mar 20, 2010
It would be a much better business decision on EA's part to not make Dead Space 3 instead of the risk of not topping the sales of previous games. If 5 MILLON is what they actually require that is.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
MortisLegio said:
EA trying to make the last in a trilogy more appealing than the fanbase. Wait I've heard this before...
Starchild: I control the Necromorphs. They are my solution.
Clarke: Solution? To what?
Starchild: Chaos.

For all the people who cannot understand EA's thought process here, the all-or-nothing mindset was born from the successes of two [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3] games [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_2]. In addition to following well-received titles, Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2 had ridiculous narratives, gigantic explosions and shiny multiplayer. They also both generated massive profits and created Spawn Hundreds of Millions of Dollars buttons for their publishers.

EA's relentless pursuit of their very own blockbuster franchise is not surprising once you realize a single success can justify a dozen failures. Just thinking about the stable revenue a Halo or Call of Duty series could generate must leave Frank Gibeau with dirty pants.

I'm not sure that the industry can support another cash cow on a yearly basis but I am certain EA won't be giving up the search any time soon.