EA Aims to "Broaden" Dead Space Audience

Reginald

May 9, 2012
I for one am looking forward to improved blandness. Not only as a fan of tautologies, but as someone who improved their life by consuming nothing but a tasteless gruel for a few years.

Spaloooooka

Oct 5, 2010
solidstatemind said:
Huh. Do the math here: say EA makes half the box price on each unit sold (and that's being conservative)... 5 mill x $30... that's $150 million dollars... to keep a franchise viable?!?

You want to stay in business EA (much less keep Dead Space going), I suggest you summarily execute some of the folks making spending decisions...
$30?! WHAT??
MASS EFFECT 3 SOLD FOR ~£44.99!! THAT'S ~$70.01

DEAD SPACE SOLD FOR ~£42.99 SO $66.90

9358 units of deadspace 2 shifted in the uk so far (vgcharts) ...so 9358*42.99 = £40,200.42
40,200.42*1.642= ~$66009.86

but I've heard $60 being thrown around so that's more like $300 mill they want to make.

these guys put ~$10 million in the DS2 (plant xbox) but they get paids about $18 mill each! (google around) :/ last year they made a profit of over a billion (ea website). Grrr.

They will crash in the next decade.

http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_9268/Game_Development_Budget_Somewhere_Around_25_Million

[ http://www.vgchartz.com/game/36807/dead-space-2/UK/ ]

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Flailing Escapist said:
If EA ran every company in the industry I wouldn't play games anymore.
Honestly, i feel the same. I'm about to just stear clear of anything with "EA" on tied to it. :/ no point in loving a series and knowing the company controling it is gonna kill it.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Jorec said:
5 million copies to remain viable?! Well it was nice knowing you Dead Space. Its been a good run these last couple of years and its a shame to see you go. I'll remember you fondly.
Yeah I think that article was someone's subtle way of saying Enjoy Dead Space 3, it'll be your last chance.

littlealicewhite

Jul 18, 2010
Oh dear.

I was holding onto hope that DS3 would stay true to its original survival horror feel, but this is... it's just a blatant slap to the face.

"Expanding the audience" just means watering it down into another bland shooter, EA. Please don't beat around the bush about it. If you're gonna fuck your consumers over (and not for the first time!), at least be upfront about it.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Who knows, maybe they'll pull the rug out from under us and deliver the scariest game in a decade.

But yet again, I'm afraid I must quothe the Spoony by saying

BETRAYAL!!!! BE-TRAYAL! BETRAYED ME!!! THIS GAME SUUUUUUUCKS!!!!!!!

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Genius! Nothing increases sales like turning off the loyal fans of the franchise, by making their game worse, while trying to sale to people who couldn't give a damn in the first place.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
So...

Dead Space 3 is going to rip off every over-hyped AAA title that's come out in the past 10 years, and then satisfy no-one?

That's all that it can possibly mean.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
EA,

Do you want to know how to ruin the appeal of a horror game? There are many ways, but subtracting any sense of vulnerability from the protagonist is a pretty good one.
Right you are. Dead Space is a freakin' horrer game, not Gears of War.

I'm not a Dead Space fan, not in the least, but I'm angry for all those who are fans.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
So here's EA's thought process:

"Ok, how do we sell more copies of the next Dead Space? Hmm, we could improve on the horror aspects and make some viral campaigns to bring more hype for it than the others...OR, we could turn the franchise into a broad brown-n-gray shooter that will alienate all existing fans while also alienating anyone who's not interested in survival horror by having the words "Dead Space" on it. This will leave us with the absolutely HUGE demographic of "people who want to play a Gears of War type shooter but with clunky survivor horror controls". IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!

But wait, afterwords, we can create an ultimatum: 5 million people have to buy DS3, or we won't make another one. GENIUS!"

If you're a Dead Space fan, don't buy this game. Let the series die with a last shred of dignity before it turns into the survivor horror version of Sonic.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
You're not wrong, Mr. Chalk. You're not wrong.

The conspicuously missing part of that "In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise" comment is what should have been the rather obvious "...without alienating the existing fanbase of the franchise."

Combine a lack of that awareness with unrealistic sales expectations, and I think Dead Space has probably entered the guillotine line.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Rocklobster99 said:
If there's one thing you can say about EA, it's that they never stop trying, even if it doesn't work.
They did that...they honestly did that............

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
EA Executive: Yeah, we were thinking of putting a Team Deathmatch where people run around congested hallways with fairly identical but still aesthetically different guns with killcams, killstreaks, and whatnot, but we couldn't fit it with this engine. Dead Space 4 will be converted entirely to FPS format to accommodate for these new adjustments to appeal to the broadest audience possible.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
This is why I'm glad I took Yahtzees mindset and stopped being a "fan" of any particular game series.

After all the time Squeenix spent slapping me across the face for being a fan of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy it wasn't a hard transition, since then I've noticed just how often fans get exploited and worse completely betrayed in favour of money from different audiences.. it's a true shame

As for Dead Space, I won't lie it never really grabbed me (Mostly cause I'm a big girl who doesn't like paying to be scared, even if the game is apparently terrible at it) but it's still an incredible shame that they've gone the "mass appeal" route with it... I truly hope we can get past this so we can get back to having games made for people to have fun or a challenge.. like in the good ol' days!

*Shakes old man cane while wearing rose tinted glasses*

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
dammit EA! when will you learn?! when you "broaden the audience" all you're doing is trying to appeal to a larger group of people by making the game as generic as possible. it's Mass Effect all over again! what Dead Space DOESN'T have is the huge fanbase that Mass Effect did. I played and enjoyed the first Dead Space, but when I saw what was being done to DS2, i knew it wasn't worth playing, and now with DS3, it's even MORE bland and generic? You don't get it, you didn't sell millions of copies of each of the lesser Mass Effects (2 and 3) because the dumbing down made it BETTER. you sold them because I, and many others, decided we were already going to buy the next Mass Effect games after the first one, no matter what it was like.

STOP RUINING FRANCHISES YOU DISGUSTING CORPORATE WHORES!

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
As an abused Resident Evil fanboy, I can only say sorry to y'all Dead Space fans. Seems nothing can survive the meat grinder of mediocrity and bad business practice these days.