Edge Games Sues EA Over Mirror's Edge

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Truly-A-Lie said:
Can I ask what the hell Edge Games have actually made? Ever? All I've heard from them is repeated lawsuits over common nouns?
This reminds me of that futurama quote:
"Mom, Love and screen door are registered trademarks of Mom corp."
[sub]Is your avatar for Captain hammer by the way?[/sub]

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
because of the potential confusion with trademarks held by Edge Games.
...what trademarks?

The Rockerfly said:
Say "Edge" one more time ************ I will blow your mother fucking head off

Cookie for the reference
You're doing it wrong! Sammy L. J. would take your burger and blow your brains out for this.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Someone should copyright E and ED then sue Langdell for infringement if they ever release something with Edge in it.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Oh, for the love of--
............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`
When will this dumbass learn? Pretty unreliable way to make money, that's for sure.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
tghm1801 said:
I don't understand - what is Edge Games suing for exactly?
to put it simply: don't name your game and possibly movie, TV show, cat or favorite piece of furniture anything with "Edge" in it and you're going to get sued

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
scotth266 said:
Honestly, the patent/trademark system needs to get its shit in line. You should not be allowed to trademark entire words, unless you've made them yourself (Microsoft, Sony, etc.)

Mirror's Edge, Edgy, and whatever other games Tim has invoked in his lawsuits only remind people of his studio when the news comes out that he is suing the makers of said games. This should set off some warning bells.

You should also not be allowed to patent genes, something which is fundamentally a load of crap (did you know that a company that put a patent on a certain gene sequence linked to breast cancer is the only one allowed to test for/experiment with that sequence? Madness I tell you.)
I do find it pretty funny that we lead in Patents in the US. At least we did in 2008-2009.

They no longer serve a purpose since there is no stagnation of invention anymore for most things. They are merely a means to limit consumer access these days in hopes of getting the benefits of a monopoly without the size of a monopoly.

I strongly feel that most of our intellectual property laws need a strong overhaul. They are poorly thought out and don't really apply to modern day society :/. I want anyone who makes something good to get benefits from making it, but I don't see how any of these things to that.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Edge Games just wants easy money. If they win, it's a sad day for justice. Hopefully they will loose & their legal fees will become their tool of self-spanking.

Just imagine if Paris Hilton became poor. She'd sue every shuck online who used the term "that's hot."

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
theultimateend said:
I do find it pretty funny that we lead in Patents in the US. At least we did in 2008-2009.

They no longer serve a purpose since there is no stagnation of invention anymore for most things. They are merely a means to limit consumer access these days in hopes of getting the benefits of a monopoly without the size of a monopoly.

I strongly feel that most of our intellectual property laws need a strong overhaul. They are poorly thought out and don't really apply to modern day society :/. I want anyone who makes something good to get benefits from making it, but I don't see how any of these things to that.
I agree. I think patents are facist. (Or at least what I understand facism to be).

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
likalaruku said:
theultimateend said:

I agree. I think patents are facist. (Or at least what I understand facism to be).
They just make me sad. I have an unhealthy fetish for invention and they stifle it so hard that it makes my insides die a little each day (faster than they do so already).

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
ColdStorage said:
For goodness sake, could someone in the judicial system allow me entry to this adjudicator process?, so I can infect these people with my feelings, hopefully then there would be a horrible outbreak of common sense in these copyright laws.
Wait, where did you get the idea that judges make the laws in this country? Or that the fact that he's able to file a suit automatically means those laws are on his side or that he can win? Because they don't and it doesn't. It's almost a given that this suit is going to fail epically.

Irridium said:
This is why you shouldn't be able to trademark words everyone uses.
Well, I'm not an expert, but to my understanding if the name is generic enough, the trademark is only valid for limited use. Like for example, at one point there was a PC manufacturer named Delta at the same time there was already a faucet company by the same name. It was understood that nobody would confuse the two and that the former was not trying to pass itself off as the latter (which is what trademark laws are for). Now, if someone else started a game company called Edge, then this guy would definitely have a case. But since we're dealing with the title of a work vs. a company name, even in the same industry, this excrement will most likely not achieve altitude, as it were.

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
I don't mean to sound like a troll, although I suspect I will: all of you here who are American should have seen this coming; isn't lawsuit the favorite pastime in your country? Tim Langdell's antics sound just like the next (il)logical step.

But really, that guy must be insane. Or desperate for publicity. Maybe he just wants to be wuv'd?

The Rockerfly said:
SnowDensOfYesteryear said:
Wow, EDGE Games are really on EDGE, their lawsuits being quite "EDGY" in their definition of the law. EDGY in the stupid sense. I wonder what lEDGE this guy's parents threw him off of head first.

Uh... EDGE. *Skitters off*
Say "Edge" one more time ************ I will blow your mother fucking head off

Cookie for the reference
Uh, Pulp Fiction? Anyway, enjoy using the word "cookie" while you can. When my game company, Cookie Games, is founded, I will follow Tim's example.

Oh, and it just occurred to me: will U2 have to find a new guitar player?

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
JaymesFogarty said:
Damn. The next one will have to be called, "Mirror's Shard." Actually, come to think of it, that doesn't sound too bad!
Seriously though, edge is a ridiculous word to patent. No way one company can exclusively own it.

I bet that could actually work.

Tearing the system down and everyones lives for the future.

Breaking the mirror down to nothing but shards of glass. Never to look back at yourself of anything else but only towards future.

I think I want moar Mirrors Edge too much..

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
MarsProbe said:
Grrr, that just takes the biscuit. I really like Mirrors Edge, easily one of my favourites, so this is especially annoying. I knew they would pick on Mirrors Edge eventually though.

One wonders when the game Mirrors, by Edge Games, is actually due to be released. Nonetheless, we should apparently prepare to be amazed by it, whatever it is.
Mirrors is going to be the greatest game ever made and it's just a huge coincedence that Edge Games released the details right after Mirrors Edge was announced.
[HEADING=1]JUST A COINCEDENCE[/HEADING]
I mean, Tim wouldn't lie about a game he's working on just to try and cash in on a lawsuit, would he?

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Seriously? This law suit can't be about the fact that they both contain the word "edge" can it? Even the American civil system isn't that retarded, right? Oh well, I guess we all get to laugh when EA rips Edge Games a new one.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
If Microsoft couldn't completely control the Windows name in computers (they own Microsoft Windows, not windows itself) I don't see how a two bit waste of a company can control the word edge. I think this guy is in for a rude surprise. So far, he's gone after people who probably decided it was cheaper to give in rather than fight him. EA has the resources to sustain a long court fight. In lawsuits, it's usually the guy with the most money who wins, they can keep it going longer.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Wait didn't there used to be a WWF wrestler call Edge? Perhaps someone should tell him about this so he can throw his 2c into the courtroom.