Elder Scrolls Online's First Microtransaction Is a Horse

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Mega Messiah said:
Everything I've seen, played, and read about ESO screams cash grab that's going F2P in like a year.

Seriously, fuck off with a cash shop ON TOP of a sub and then offering something like a horse.
The term cash shop means a very specific thing when applied to MMOs. ESO doesn't have a cash shop on top of a sub, it doesn't have a cash shop period.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
This will be F2P before next year's holiday season, and I'm not even sure yet if I'll be willing to play it then.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Drummodino said:
So let me get this straight.

1. Full retail up front cost.
2. Monthly subscription fee.
3. Microtransaction store for non-cosmetic items.

Just seems a little bit greedy Zenimax. That's a lot of money you're asking for, especially when compared to something like FF XIV.
It's completely greedy but wow proved you could charge people full price and sub and give them little or nothing for it.

They just seeing how far they can push it in the pure greed dept.

There is NO excuse when charging a sub to play a game to not provide bi monthly content updates for free at bare minimium. maybe 2 or 3 months but charging for expansions? charging for haroses? charging for boosts and the like, you are a f2p game trying to charge a sub and if people fall for it i weep for humanity, but they will and they will in droves and the next generation of greed is justified.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Falsename said:
....I don't.... This.... I don't even.....

I'm sorry but The Elder Scrolls Online is going to fall flat on it's face moments after coming out.

People will pay subscription for a game that looks this good, sure. But it won't last if you're cramming this crap down our throats.

'Some' people will pay subscription. I'm not one of them.

Bring me Fallout 4!
and bring on the announcement of "we have decided to make the fallout MMO instead, and cease working on FO4!"

i can understand charging for a mount, if it is simply a skin (horse armour for once kinda makes sense). but having to buy the actual ability to ride the mount is just fucking greedy. didn't old republic pull this shit when they went free to play?

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
This is not good. Not good at all. I was looking forward to the game, and was going to try and purchase the Imperial edition for my xbox one in the next week or so. But now.... I dont know.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
suitepee7 said:
Falsename said:

I'm sorry but The Elder Scrolls Online is going to fall flat on it's face moments after coming out.

People will pay subscription for a game that looks this good, sure. But it won't last if you're cramming this crap down our throats.

Bring me Fallout 4!
and bring on the announcement of "we have decided to make the fallout MMO instead, and cease working on FO4!"

i can understand charging for a mount, if it is simply a skin (horse armour for once kinda makes sense). but having to buy the actual ability to ride the mount is just fucking greedy. didn't old republic pull this shit when they went free to play?
You don't have to buy the ability to ride a mount with cash. You can buy a mount with 17k gold. It's just kind of a pain in the ass on your first character, so they added a cheap mount as part of the CE, and now they're allowing people to buy just that portion of the CE with a different skin. TOR went full asshole and charges for more quickslot bars and the ability to equip 'epic' gear, among other things.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Halyah said:
Starke said:
Halyah said:
I'm starting to get The Secret World vibes from this game now...
I'm not... yet. Secret World actually pulled the most popular clothes in the beta, and moved them into the cash shop. We'll see in two weeks, but I don't see that happening here.
They did? That's pretty douchy... Captcha seems to agree a tad given it says its "taken aback" and all.
Off the top of my head, the male leather trench-coat became a 10 dollar item, the men's shirts with ties became 4 dollars each. The female leather jacket with embroidered designs became a 5 dollar item, the men's poncho became a 4 dollar item... the punk and racing jackets for women all became 2 or 3 dollar items.

Really, anything that didn't look like shit got bundled into the store... oddly it was almost everything I saw frequently on players during the beta. Of course, we're also talking about the game that pumped out a 100 dollar tux... and answered complaints about augments drops being crap by releasing them as a possible drop in a grab bag that goes for 1.30, or 3.33... ugh.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
SecondPrize said:
suitepee7 said:
Falsename said:

Bring me Fallout 4!

You don't have to buy the ability to ride a mount with cash. You can buy a mount with 17k gold. It's just kind of a pain in the ass on your first character, so they added a cheap mount as part of the CE, and now they're allowing people to buy just that portion of the CE with a different skin. TOR went full asshole and charges for more quickslot bars and the ability to equip 'epic' gear, among other things.
I think they bumped them all to 42k, but that could have been a glitch.

Also, the usually cited complaint is that enemies drop 1gp per... and that's true... but as you advance through the game, gold does become much easier to acquire. And, on a character I played a couple hours over the weekend, I'd managed to rack up about 5k, without really trying to.

Yeah, the horse doesn't actually bother me. It could be a bad sign, but I don't think so. From what I've seen with the game, there's a real focus on NOT introducing a slurry of microtransactions. Doesn't mean there can't be any, but there's no obvious chopped out features.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
FalloutJack said:
Achievement: Old Spice - "I'm on a horse."

Look at your game, now look at me, now look at your game again. Sadly, it's got microtransactions. Look down, now look up again. It's your horse, the thing you use to get around, AND it's behind a paywall. Look away, look back. It's a a load of angry Elder Scrolls fans outside of a building, and you're helping them burn an effigy. Look down once more, and back again. You've returned to your home where you haven't bought this crappy game, money still in your pocket. Always vote with your wallet. I'm in a powersuit.

You win the internets today, congratulations.

GrinningCat said:
This is no different than WoW, where some mounts can be bought from the online store, but the game gives you plenty of chances to not do that.
Untrue. In WoW, the mount is the skin and you still have to purchase the training from vendors in-game using gold; there's no way around this. Essentially, mounts in WoW are cosmetic. In TESO, there's no training needed and the mount is the ability to increase travel speed, thus it is far more than just cosmetic and it is game breaking (especially in Cyrodille, where the distance between fights is either 10 minutes walking or 4 minutes riding a horse).

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Oh for God's sake. You want to have a subscription fee? Fine, it's a legit business model, if not the most popular one. You want to have a cash shop? Fine, just so long as what it offers is cosmetic and/or convenience items and not demanding a person pay to get the basic features of the game after it was advertised as F2P. But having BOTH? No. No, no, nonononononono. $15 a month is too much to ask from a customer to THEN demand MORE real money from them. Make those items available for in-game currency; don't get greedy when you're already getting regular payments from customers.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Mike Fang said:
Oh for God's sake. You want to have a subscription fee? Fine, it's a legit business model, if not the most popular one. You want to have a cash shop? Fine, just so long as what it offers is cosmetic and/or convenience items and not demanding a person pay to get the basic features of the game after it was advertised as F2P. But having BOTH? No. No, no, nonononononono. $15 a month is too much to ask from a customer to THEN demand MORE real money from them. Make those items available for in-game currency; don't get greedy when you're already getting regular payments from customers.
You can buy a horse with in-game currency. You can't buy the Palmino horse in game though. Speaking of in game, the term cash shop in mmos has always referred to an in game item store which accepts real money. That's why people raised a fuss about WoW adding a cash shop when they had already sold services and skins through account management for years. With ESO you have to go to account management to buy the imperial upgrade, cheap spotty horse and name change. It's not a cash shop.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Now release armour DLC for the horse and these shenanigans shall come full circle. I do wonder if it was done on purpose though, like intentional trolling on their part.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
- Buy the game for $60
- Pay a $15 monthly fee
- Probably still have to buy expansion packs
- Still they have microtransactions

If I were interested in MMO's, I would still say fuck that.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Deathfish15 said:
FalloutJack said:
Untrue. In WoW, the mount is the skin and you still have to purchase the training from vendors in-game using gold; there's no way around this. Essentially, mounts in WoW are cosmetic. In TESO, there's no training needed and the mount is the ability to increase travel speed, thus it is far more than just cosmetic and it is game breaking (especially in Cyrodille, where the distance between fights is either 10 minutes walking or 4 minutes riding a horse).
Not to mention the ridiculous cost of rolling and dashing. My nightblade/rogue was level 20 with 10 points on stamina and I can maybe dash for 15 seconds and/or 4 rolls before all the stamina is gone.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
ShakerSilver said:
Y'know what's funny about that whole Horse Armor thing? That shit would be acceptable today. Pointless cosmetics are the norm for DLC nowadays, not to mention how ludicrously overpriced DLC has become in recent years. It just goes to show how shitty our standards have become when no one bats an eyelash at Sims 3's DLC costing over $400 in total, but everyone still shudders at the mention of Oblivion's Horse Armor.
You'd still think Bethesda/Zenimax would be very sensitive to releasing horse anything as DLC after the Oblivion horse armor debacle. I can taste the irony and it is bitter.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Elfgore said:
Are you telling me I have to pay real money to get a mount in the game? If that is the case, fuck zenimax. Because that is just messed up. It's almost like they want to ruin their IP with this game.

And this isn't dangerously close to horse armor, it has surpassed it. A mount is a must have in most MMOs, I'm assuming this game isn't any different.
Theres mounts in the game when I playtested but they're ludicrously expensive for a starting player. Creating an early imbalance like this is kinda of shit. WoW offers mounts but you absolutely must still have the level and ability to ride it (also there 250+ amazing ones you can get just by playing normally, the store ones are only marginally nicer). I did not see any such methodology in ESO

Honestly I wouldn't recommend this MMO... I dunno what the hell they're doing with it.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
"Things are not looking good for the wallets of Elder Scrolls fans."

Actually, no, I think this is more of a problem for Zenimax...

Mega Messiah said:
Everything I've seen, played, and read about ESO screams cash grab that's going F2P in like a year.

Seriously, fuck off with a cash shop ON TOP of a sub and then offering something like a horse.
This completely. I've played the beta, there isn't anything there that will convince me to pry $15/mo from my wallet, in addition to whatever other bollocks they try to take from me.

It's a great MMO, as far as that go's, and I wish those who play it well. But me? No, not unless it goes F2P, or has a sub along the lines of a yearly discounted fee (like XBL or PS+).

Subs plus microtransactions can go straight to hell, unless it is simply convenience stuff that can be earned eventually anyway (like mounts in SWTOR). Even still, at least SWTOR is F2P, I'd never dream of paying for it otherwise (I never paid for it anyway...but still).

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
SecondPrize said:
You can buy a horse with in-game currency. You can't buy the Palmino horse in game though. Speaking of in game, the term cash shop in mmos has always referred to an in game item store which accepts real money. That's why people raised a fuss about WoW adding a cash shop when they had already sold services and skins through account management for years. With ESO you have to go to account management to buy the imperial upgrade, cheap spotty horse and name change. It's not a cash shop.
Okay, fine, cash shop, account service, however it differs in the fine details, the results are the same; demanding more money on top of a regular payment. A rose by any other name..or in this case, a stink weed.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
This must be a joke, seriously. EA has a contender for worst gaming company ever otherwise, at least their microtransactions come after only paying for the base game, not paying an additional fee per month.
Hopefully this is just a joke or a momentary decision, if not then this is an article that truely demonstrates what a mess the gaming industry is in.

Vote with your wallets.