Enslaved As It Should Have Been

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I like this idea. I also like Enslaved, and I am willing to overlook its 'adapting' some chinese story wrongly.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Well, I like the idea of Yahtzee's Journey to the West video game adaptation... but I'm the kind of person who after reading the Iliad was thinking it would make an awesome anime...

Further on that note Iliad could also be a Dynasty Warriors style game... Imagine, being Achilles, Ajax, Hector, Diomedes etc, and taking on hundreds of Achaeans or Trojans.

You can even have an action adventure sequel based on the Odyssey.

I can't believe no fucking video game company has done this.... >_>

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Enslaved As It Should Have Been

Yahtzee wonders why Ninja Theory based Enslaved on the Chinese novel Journey to the West if it was just going to add killer robots.

Read Full Article
What about the dragonballs?
You forgot all about them dragonballs!

Because Dragonball was (and sort of is) intended to be a re-writing of Journey to the West.

The one question I am always left with when I play a game that I feel has its quality lowered due to poor use of the source material is this:

Would I enjoy the game more if it was just called Enslaved, and Monkey was named Charles, and Tipitaka was named Kimberly?

I mean the game isn't to bad, its not awesome either, but it isn't Journey to the West.

All in all I thought hte game to be decent, but StarCraft2 and Divinity2 are better, so I havent gotten around to beating it :p

Vect

Jul 22, 2009
Erm...Well, there's a Journey To The West arcade side-scrolling Beat'em Up in some arcades in Asia. Oh, and there's a SRPG with the characters... Oh and there's Dragonball, but that's something else entirely.

Though what Mr. Yahtzee described sounds like a kickass WALL-E spin-off. Sorta.

Crazy-Insomniac

Oct 17, 2010
I don't understand why all this knit picking about it not being close to the chinese proverb/poem/story thing. I've never seen it promoted in any advertising. The few times I've seen it in a news article (I had to actively look for it) it said it was inspired. People being inspired from an event or story doesn't mean it will be an adaption. You can be inspired from a dog choking on a toothpick and make a game about vampires. It may be something interesting to tell an interviewer about but it doesn't have to mean anything else.

Jeffro Tull

Sep 27, 2010
Ampersand said:
I have a question.
Why do you seem to have a problem with men who are strong looking strong? Seriously you bring it up in almost every review.
You can't have climbing trees, lifting heavy things and fighting giant robots as regular parts of your life style without gaining some serious muscle mass.

This seems especially ironic to me seen as how you so openly object to wimpy looking teen aged boys swinging giant buster swords in JRPGs.
Perhaps he is growing tired of how this industry is over saturated with images of either muscle bound men or wimpy looking teen aged boys swinging buster swords. I mean that is pretty much the option you have to choose from in protagonists in order to get your game made now a days. What about other body types, you know the ones you see on a regular basis in reality?

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Ampersand said:
I have a question.
Why do you seem to have a problem with men who are strong looking strong? Seriously you bring it up in almost every review.
You can't have climbing trees, lifting heavy things and fighting giant robots as regular parts of your life style without gaining some serious muscle mass.

This seems especially ironic to me seen as how you so openly object to wimpy looking teen aged boys swinging giant buster swords in JRPGs.
Let me break it to you, someone who is actually as strong as those characters are supposed to be would still not be as big as many of the videogame heroes. They would probably look more like the olympic weightlifters in the 105kg class - like this guy:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/18/content_9481161.htm

Monkey looks more the size of a bodybuilder - who aren't actually strong because they train in to increase the mass of their muscles rather than the strength.

In short, the body size of the characters Yatzee would call "manly" is far more realistic than both the skinny teenagers and the ultra-large macho men.

SimpleReally

Feb 4, 2008
FYI there is a game based on Journey to the west already released on PS1. It's a tactical RPG in the same style as final fantasy tactics. They took some liberties with the IP and the final product was not too bad.

DiaSol

Oct 8, 2008
i would play that game, i have actually read Journey to the west and its really very good, and the game you describe sounds really very good as a pitch to a game development studio or even a film studio, i mean this re-imagining seems very much like the film re-imagining of Odyssey to 2001: A Space Odyssey doesnt it?

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
You had me up till the part about your own idea for a Journey to the west game. Robot misbehaves robot get smashed by security bot-end of story. Alternatively Robot misbehaves, maintenance guy notices this and erases his brains and does a total reboot-end of story. Additionally Robot gains sentience and then his own robot brains burn out from stress-end of story.
You'd have to come up with some creative writing to convince me otherwise.

see- I robot, Short Circuit, and all of Star Wars

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Are you seriously still harping on how Enslaved is not like Journey to the West? Who cares!? How about you critique the actual game? I'm pretty sure most of the video game buying public out there has no idea what Journey to the West is. Heck, I consider myself a fairly well-educated and cultured person, and I had never heard of it until this game came out. Why are you so singularly focused on this one tiny insignificant aspect of the game? I don't think the game was ever advertised or purported to be a direct adaptation of the book. If it had been, then you'd have something to be mad about, but it wasn't.
Did you throw a fit because Castlevania wasn't a 100% faithful translation of Bram Stoker's Dracula? Did you flip out because God of War completely reinterpreted Greek myth?
Oh, and to top it off, you've never read Journey to the West?
That's just great. Shut up Yahtzee. I usually go along with your BS, but this is just plain obnoxious.

Rakor

Mar 9, 2010
probably better that tripitaka be a human, makes him the wuss he is in the book

with the whole space theme this can make issues like the river to cross but instead its tripitaka lost his spacesuit or something

I see the purpose of making tripitaka a chick just so its not one big sausagefest, but he's supposed to be a goodhearted wussy dude

hmm, then maybe at the end super alien tech lets monkey turn into a biological creature

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
WaderiAAA said:
Ampersand said:
I have a question.

Let me break it to you, someone who is actually as strong as those characters are supposed to be would still not be as big as many of the videogame heroes. They would probably look more like the olympic weightlifters in the 105kg class - like this guy:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/18/content_9481161.htm

Monkey looks more the size of a bodybuilder - who aren't actually strong because they train in to increase the mass of their muscles rather than the strength.

In short, the body size of the characters Yatzee would call "manly" is far more realistic than both the skinny teenagers and the ultra-large macho men.
Different people have different body types, I've know people who look like monkey does, some of them where rock climbers and the rest practiced capoeira or boxing or both. All of which require speed, flexibility and strength.

There are more body types then just strong ones and weak ones, people come in all shapes and sizes.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Jeffro Tull said:
Ampersand said:
I have a question.

Perhaps he is growing tired of how this industry is over saturated with images of either muscle bound men or wimpy looking teen aged boys swinging buster swords. I mean that is pretty much the option you have to choose from in protagonists in order to get your game made now a days. What about other body types, you know the ones you see on a regular basis in reality?
I don't think I'd be any more conviced by a short, balding man with a beer belly swinging a buster sword either but i guess it would be more entertaining.

What i'm saying is I don't see what's wrong with designing a character so he looks like he's actually capable of what he's doing.