Escape to the Movies: Green Lantern

moose_man

Nov 9, 2009
deadpool.forever said:
Do you think Ryan will still do the Dead Pool movie?
God I hope not. Deadpool is my fav Marvel hero, but Reynolds is NOT suited to him. He's not a bad actor; but he's not good at this, unlike Mr. Downey Jr.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Considering the fact I was recommended by Moviebob here to see Ironman 2 and Scot Pilgrim (Ugghh, I got a bad taste in my mouth now thinking about them), I think I'll take my chances...lol

FunKing

May 17, 2010
vviki said:
Sorry you had to get this, Movie Bob. I have never been a comic book fan, but I know what is to expect something great from a beloved hero and get piss in the face instead with almost everyone phoning it in. It it would help, make a special and go all out on this movie a la Harry S. Plinkett style! 90min special on how much this sucks with every aspect.
now that would be 90mins well spent in my opinion....excelent idea....hmmm maybe H.S.P. will do one

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
no offense to you Bob since by your own confession I know you'll most likely read this but. You and all the other critics are dead fucking wrong.....I mean sure I can see some of your points as far as the costume and the other lanterns(not much done with them, Kilowag and co getting little screen time) and a point or two at which I was scratching my head confused. (bearing in mind, I don't even come close to reading Comic books quite the way you do) Aside from those points onwhich I agree with your critics I loved the movie.....Thor, X-Men First Class were all far better and I'd even bet Captain America will be better but it wasn't half as bad as you said it was.

oh and fuck off Daredevil was great...its not complete and utter shit like Batman&Robin and Steel how dare you insinuate its in the ranks of such shit as those two

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
moviedork said:
Avistew said:
Haven't seen you that pissed since Black Knight wasn't nominated for the Oscars. I feel a bit guilty for enjoying it.
About the movie, yeah, I'll pass on it. Was never that tempted by it to begin with, anyways. Might check it out at some point out of curiosity, but not going to see it in the theatres.
There's no reason to feel guilty for enjoying The Dark Knight. If anything since it wasn't nominated for best picture, it's easier to like it because it's a movie to get behind as one of those great films to get snubbed by the Oscars.
No, no. I feel a bit guilty for enjoying it when Bob is passionate like that. I think it's sexy. But it can't be nice for him, hence the guilt for enjoying it.

alexbaxthedarkside

May 21, 2009
Bob has a problem with this movie, I went to see it with two friends who have been into green lantern for years, and both of them and I agree we really enjoyed it.

Maybe wen i hear back from them in a few days or weeks ill get a genuine feel for what they thought.

I hope this isn't Bob trying to be super negative about the film the way he was with the expendables, i saw that movie and enjoyed and, and i saw Scott pilgrim the week after and enjoyed it definitely a lot more. and Bob ripped the expendables to pieces because it makes it acceptable for directors to pump out garbage again, instead of making the mountains of madness.

So hopefully Green lantern isn't him trying to put people off, i like this movie, its very enjoyable :)

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Ahh but you forget Bob. If the geeks don't rise up en mass and drop millions of dollars in ticket sales onto this movie, then Guillermo del Toro's (and your) dream of getting "At the Mountains of Madness" made into a movie will never be realized. As you explain to us here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3281-The-Numbers

Come on now Bob. Box office sales matter on risky projects.....Don't they?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
moviedork said:
Everyone who has seen The Town knows that Lively is a talented actress if given a good enough script.
Ok sure whatever you say buddy. She wasn't in The Town and I'll prove it....*looks it up* Huh oh shit. I did not know that was her. I mean she did a good job in her role, I just never knew that she was in the movie. Well maybe there's hope for her yet[footnote]I don't count Accepted either, because she WAS only eye candy in that movie[/footnote], besides Gossip Girl, which let's be honest, when most guys are watching that it's not because of the "drama" or to see all of the actresses range of acting chops. It looks like she's had roles in a couple decent films, baring Simon Says all the movies she's in average out to be around 6.58/10 on IMDB so I guess we'll see. I mean she is only 23 and she hasn't completely earned our hate for being onscreen. Guess it'll be interesting to see where she ends up

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Watched it, found it tolerable. Really would have preferred it if Blake went full Kelly McGillis, but whatcha gonna do? And, er, yeah...I'm not really sure what Bob expected them to do with a douche who can make literally anything out of energy as long as it's the color green and whose foe has the power to be a deformed professor X. Make it any more realistic and this is pretty much all you'll get: http://www.virtualshackles.com/204

As it stood there was already too much comic book history involved in the movie. IMHO they should have stuck to their guns and made it a low-to-medium budget retarded comic book spoof instead of trying to make it serious.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
To be honest, I was expecting this. Probably not to this scale, but I was expecting this BIG time. From what he was going on about, it doesn't sound like a good movie for ANYONE.

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
Just saw a late-night showing of this with my brother, and we both enjoyed it. Not ground-breaking in any way, and by no means as good as something like Iron Man, but it wasn't bad either.

Entertaining review, as it always is when MovieBob really tears into something, but I'll have to disagree on this occasion.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Damn, why can't a good DC movie be made that isn't about Batman or Superman?

Guess I may have to wait longer for DC and Marvel to join forces so I can have my Deadpool vs. Deathstroke movie...

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
Imper1um said:
Wow, I'm reconsidering seeing it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

To be honest, Ryan Reynolds has never done good in any movie which he starred in it.
Have you seen Buried? I thought he was absolutely brilliant in that, and you should give it a watch before you write off his acting ability. It annoys me that he plays it safe by doing mostly romantic comedies, when that film shows he can genuinely act.

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Ironically, I'm actually more interested in seeing it just to see what a train wreck it is.
V TheSystem V said:
but I have heard from other people that they would have rather had cheese graters along their testicles than see this.
I wish you hadn't said that, now I can't get the image out of my head...

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
I really get the idea from this that I shouldn't go see the movie, but I can't really tell why over the rant.

But maybe the key thing is that this movie thinks it has to start off set on Earth and tie the characters to familiar settings and a cliché romance plot before developing.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
With the exception of the Marvel studios (because this manifestly is not true of Stan Lee) I think movie people fundamentally dislike superheroes in general, and that's why superhero movies never shine.

This is even true of Nolan; Nolan's Batman is a bad-ass vigilante, not a superhero.

But I'm still disappointed. I really wanted Green Lantern to be awesome.