Escape to the Movies: This Means War

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Bayformer not making TMNT made me happy, La Battle'r killed the buzz faster than I thought possible.

Good to see that I wasn't the only one who noticed the severe abuse of resources, not to mention trust, the two CIA agents employed to win over one girl. This was either an idiotic plot element or a cunning jab at the concerns many have over the amount of power these spy agencies seem to have.

Ghost Rider sequel huh? Barely heard about that one. I still haven't worked out how they thought we would accept a man in his 40s for being someone in their early 20s.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I heard a critic on a radio show I was listening to yesterday morning say that they actually had security guards outside the theaters to make sure no critics would get in. Seriously isn't screening it for critics BETTER publicity than that?

Good review, movie sounds like crap...I think Chris Pine is okay though.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Chris Pine was absolutely fantastic in "Carriers". SUCH a good movie that hardly anybody's ever heard of. Takes place in the aftermath of a plague apocalypse where the last few survivors try and make their way in the world.

In other movies... yeah, "Unstoppable" wasn't great.

SAMURAJ

Mar 20, 2009
Sheamus said:
about as much as I expected. Mr. and Mrs. Smith was the only movie of this type to get it right.
probably not going to watch this movie.The reason why i am not watching it is that i had no choice but to cut out my eyes after watching a shameful excuse for a movie called
Mr. and Mrs. Smith !!!
seriously, staring at the sun for 2 hours is far better than watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
BabySinclair said:
But I thought Twilight established that stalking is an endearing expression of love...

(please for the love of god understand sarcasm)
I have 3 certificates that show my love. (bazzarly they mean I can't be within 100 meters of my loves, stupid court order)

Master_Fast

May 6, 2009
Honestly Bob, how many times have they tried a TMNT movie? How many times has it been good? None. Maybe one...
Get over it, a good TMNT movie is not coming. No matter who directs it. Your expectations are way too high.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Why did you even watch this movie? One look at the trailer and you can tell what kind of movie it is and why it sucks.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Sovvolf said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Sovvolf said:
The misogyny comes from two timing two lads cause she can't decide which to stick with... That's pretty low. I'm pretty sure if we reversed gender roles... That's not to say each character doesn't deserve it.
That's not misogynistic, I think you mean something else.
Besides, they have guys stringing along girls in films all of the time, I don't see why it would make her a villain.
Well its treating them as objects for her own desires. You know "who is the better looking, better in bed" and other such things based on the dialogue in the trailer. She is judging them and basically setting them up to compete for her. Her only saving grace is that she doesn't think they know about it or each other. Though its still her little game and their still her objects to play with. Don't know what else you'd call it other than misogynistic.

When guys do it, they often get called out on it too, cause it's generally an unpleasant thing to do. How can I root for a person like that.

What makes the other two bad is cause they know the game being played and instead of walking away, thinking its not worth their friendship over a woman that is playing and two timing the both of them. They play the game out of pure jealousy for one another. To them, she's not so much the one as she is a trophy.

As said, neither character can be rooted for. I haven't seen much of the villain, he might not be too bad a guy...
The word you're looking for is "misandrist". Misogyny means "hatred of women", misandry is the male equivalent. If you want a gender neutral term, it's "sexist". Personally, I think that misogyny get thrown around way to freely. It and its counterpart should be reserved for describing a real conscious hatred, not just a social double standard. For instance, the Red Stocking's Manifesto is misandrist, "Revenge of the Nerds" is misogynist (not to the extent that the Red Stockings were misandrist, but I think its treatment of its female lead is extreme enough to qualify), and "This Means War" is just stupid.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
bojac6 said:
I am amazed at how sexist and juvenile so many of these comments are. I haven't seen the movie, but why is everyone calling Witherspoon's character a "two-timing slut"? The trailers have done nothing to imply that at all. She's doing what rational adults do, and going on dates with people to get to know them better. There's no implication of a committed relationship or cheating or anything from the trailers I've seen. She's simply going out with people she finds interesting to see if a relationship would work. That's how adults do it.
I think you are using "sexist" wrong, no one here has made any sexist comments. I for one disagree with what she is doing in the movies, relationships are built on trust, and if you are starting off a relationship by lying (even if it is by omission) then that makes you a bad person in that case. That plus the fact that she wants to have a "sex tie breaker" (something that would be pounced on by anyone if it was a guy making that comment), makes what she is doing wrong, in the opinion of many of the people here. I for one would find this situation equally wrong if the roles where any other way.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
NinjaDC said:
WHY YOU NO ARRIETTY!!!

Seriously Bob, why waste your time with 2 garbage movies like Ghost Rider 2 & This Means War.
Studio Ghibli finally gets another movie released in the US, and you give it a complete snub.
I'm sure it's been said in another review but Bob has no interest in anime or manga infact in the game overthinker he openly despises manga at least once.
Why? Does he says he hate it and justify or just says his opinion without backing it up?

Got a link?
If it is an opinion you don't have to back it up, that's why it's an opinion

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
I was expecting a Twilight punching when you were talking about two male leads fighting over the girl and how stupid it was. You disappoint me, Bob.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Axolotl said:
Casual Shinji said:
I guess Tom Hardy had to be in a shitty movie sooner or later now that his carreer in Hollywood is getting a boost thanks to the new Batman movie.

He'll always be Bronson to me though.
He was already in Star Trek Nemesis so it's not like he has a flawless past. Although it is odd that both leads in this film have played youger versions of the two most famous Star Trek captains in dissapointing, action focused films.

But overall Tom Hardy is pretty awesome, I can't wait to see him as Bane.
I've only ever seen Tom Hardy doing what he does best; Being an insane roid raging madman (Bronson, and as Bill Sykes in Oliver Twist). This is why he'll be perfect as Bane, given he's allowed the room to unleash the crazy.

I've never seen Star Trek: Nemesis, but I figure Hardy isn't the best at playing calm and composed characters.
I actually liked Shinzon's character. He is relatively calm, but has very quick spurts of rage. Can't say the same for the rest of the movie.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
OtherSideofSky said:
Indeed it is, as it as been pointed out to me a few times by now :). Honestly, even if it's only as slight as a social double standard I still feel the need to call the film out on it. I think of the reaction the film would get if the genders were reversed... I don't find it fair for one to get away with it while the other would get crucified. Few double standards are justified and my tolerance for such things is fairly low.

Guess I can be a little idealistic and I'd fancy a equal world :). Trust me if this was in role reverse I'd be the first to call the movie out on it. Though I'd probably have less people digging at my throats for it, cause as mentioned, its a double standard that people tend to tolerate.

That said, I'm not sure how called for my ranting was, as noted with further research the use of the word dating differs in America to how its generally used in Britain. Apparently dating multiple people at the same time in America isn't that big of a deal and quite normal in forming a relationship. While here in Britain, dating pretty much means "going out", when you've started actively dating, your pretty much in a relationship. So I hope you understand the mix up here. Looking at a film where a character dates multiple people at the same time registered as cheating in my books being a little ignorant of how it works in America.

That said the whole Sex-off part may be pushing it...

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
BabySinclair said:
But I thought Twilight established that stalking is an endearing expression of love...

(please for the love of god understand sarcasm)
I have 3 certificates that show my love. (bazzarly they mean I can't be within 100 meters of my loves, stupid court order)
That's just the kind of love conquering all that this world needs! Good luck in your attempts to woo your loves from 100 meters.

Aprilgold said:
BabySinclair said:
Alright baby god dino monster I will do what you say.
Sir, if I could give you a cookie IRL for that description I would.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
vxicepickxv said:
Redem said:
At least it show us what happen when intelligence agency have too much power and money
If they don't keep their budget spent every quarter, the'll never see it again.

/This is how the US Federal Government actually thinks
Well unfortunately that is how it is, we run around spending like crazy to eat the budget when the end of that period is looming. If you don't use all your budget the bean counters higher up think "oh, they didn't need that much we can cut their budget now", the problem being some budgeting periods (we don't have quarters or fixed budget time lines, we get budgeted by the project) are far far more expensive than others.

OT, saw this review a million miles away, looks absolutely awful from the trailers.