Escape to the Movies: True Grit

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
MovieBob said:
PeePantz said:
BobDobolina said:
Been wanting to check out True Grit, definitely. In the meantime, who is the chick who Bob identifies as "the hottest thing on two legs"?
Scarlett Johansson
It's actually Amanda Seyfreid ;)

Also, the main reason to take back a personal dig at Michael Bay was because it was right - I don't know the guy, and it was unprofessional. But if you want specifics: He put a reward up to help catch that puppy-killer chick from the youtube video earlier in the year. That makes him "probably okay" in my book.
I apologize, I guess due to past history and a quick glance over, I jumped to conclusions.
Also, after watching your past Transformers review, I feel you had every right to call him a douche. A douche doesn't mean he's a terrible person, just more of a pathetic one. He is a douche for not even wanting to do this movie and insulting the source material, then cashing in. He is a douche for letting racist robots into his film. He is a douche for allowing the casting. He is a douche for his low brow humor and his blatant disregard to good cinema. He's a douche for slamming Megan Fox after he Edward Furlonged her and made her his pet. She sucked and is notoriously hard to work with because.... Michael Bay. After admitting that you suck and make movies for fifteen year old boys, I (as you already did, rightfully so) feel confident in calling him a douche. What does a forty five year old man have in common with the typical fifteen year old boy and makes them the targeted audience? While some things I can see having in common, the man obviously connects with pubescent teenagers, and anyone (from experience) I know that is that old and shares those interest are the quintessential douche. Obviously we don't know the man personally, but I feel that we're not far off in labeling him a douche. I don't shop at Diezel but I know it's filled of douche.

Edit: What's more fun about the snow is the fact it's pretty much melted.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The sound editing was abit dodgy this week, seems as if the review was trying to be compressed because of the lenghty (might i add unfunny and dumb) beginning.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Pugiron said:
BobDobolina said:
Pugiron said:
Scott Pilgrim still was much less fun than you pretend. It was about Hipsters. hipsters never have fun, ever.
Somewhere in the world, a hipster is Having Fun every 3.2 seconds. And in two-thirds of those instances they are Totally Having More Fun Than You*. Truefax.

(* Also, while I'm certainly not outright saying that a red-blooded male of 35 or under who doesn't like Scott Pilgrim is probably gay**, I did just totally bring that up for reasons that will remain unspecified.)

(** Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Been wanting to check out True Grit, definitely. In the meantime, who is the chick who Bob identifies as "the hottest thing on two legs"?
Ah a Hipster tries to seem intelligent and clever, and fails, like all hipsters. homophobia and stupidity, always go hand in hand.
*snicker* It kills me how any mention of Scott Pilgrim still makes the big manly men act like catty teenage girls.

Beck did the soundtrack, Jason Schwartzman plays the villain, and there's a metric half-ton of silly-sounding one-liners like "The first album is better than the first album" and "You should see them live; they're much better live". Of course it's--- oh, you meant that in the pejorative sense. Considering the stereotype of Expendables fans as anti-intellectual, I'd hope you guys wouldn't be so eager to provoke very accurate cries of "didn't get it, bro".
(I keep getting a mental picture of what Yahtzee might call a "Tommy Testosterone-Tits" whose girlfriend was stolen by a 'hipster' because he wrote her a song and doesn't strike her when she talks out of turn, so he has to make himself look cool on the internet. Please tell me these people aren't older than high-school age.)

BobDobolina said:
Pugiron said:
Irony is just Hipsters trying to use a fancy name for sarcasm to seem more intelligent.
More intelligent than you, friend? Surely that's impossible!

Actually irony . . . is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony]. For example, it's ironic that in complaining about "irony" and its relationship to "intelligence," you misidentify "irony" as "sarcasm" out of apparent intellectual laziness. The first line of this reply to your most recent post, however, is a clear example of sarcasm. See the difference?
Oh please, irony is at the core of the "hurr durr hipster lol gaiz didja see i called someone a hipster" movement. It's just some parody of a stereotype decrying some vaguely-defined opponent who thinks they're inherently superior to others because of their clothes, appearance, and hobbies. LOL SOUNDZ FAMILIAH!

EDIT: Actually, the more ironic thing would be that there are still people like Puggy around unironically going on about hipster-this-hipster-that. It's definitely hit "run into the ground" status, kinda like when the rick-roll showed up in the MLB. If Puggy wants to keep with the internet cool kids, he's gonna have to step up his game and not stick to old memes.

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Jaranja said:
Another movie that I just saw that should be on the worst movies of 2010:

Salt.

Seriously, go see it. It's dreadful.
That's because Angelina Jolie couldn't act to save her life, she is strictly a T&A part of the movie equation. God damn I hate her. I don't see why the general public likes her so much.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
So when are all the fans who went to go see the expendables without knowing how bad it was going to get an apology?

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Jaranja said:

Salt.

Salt wasn't all bad. In fact, I think it was saved by the fact that a woman was the lead instead of a man. Jolie played her part well and made the movie more than just a "russian sleeper spy" movie. Had it been played by anyone else, I would agree it would have been terrible, but with Jolie in the role, it had some pop. Overall it was a meh movie though.

OT: Cool Bob, I need a good cowbow type movie. I hope you enjoy your new years!

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Solid review, however I mjust take umbrage with the slating of The Kings Speech as most overated. Thats a great film and Colin Firth is coming into his own as an amazingly restrained character actor.

If he doesnt get an oscar for that I would be gutted, although i thought he deserved one for A Single Man

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
VanityGirl said:
Jaranja said:

Salt.

Salt wasn't all bad. In fact, I think it was saved by the fact that a woman was the lead instead of a man. Jolie played her part well and made the movie more than just a "russian sleeper spy" movie. Had it been played by anyone else, I would agree it would have been terrible, but with Jolie in the role, it had some pop. Overall it was a meh movie though.
Hah... You're kidding, right? She was dreadful in that film. She couldn't act at all.

The film was just so unreal. So many things made me say "She'd break her legs" or "How did she do that?". Usually, it doesn't annoy me but... Just urgh! Then again, I was forced to watch it and I hate mindless action films.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
Umm movie bob I don't think Michel Bay cares that you called him a nasty name a long time ago. Hell I bet the man dose not even come to the escapist at all.

Got a little bit of ego issue if you think he dose care.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Jaranja said:
VanityGirl said:
Jaranja said:

Salt.

Hah... You're kidding, right? She was dreadful in that film. She couldn't act at all.

The film was just so unreal. So many things made me say "She'd break her legs" or "How did she do that?". Usually, it doesn't annoy me but... Just urgh! Then again, I was forced to watch it and I hate mindless action films.
She can't act in general, but she acted to the best of her ability in that movie. And I'm not saying it was great, but I think having a woman in that part was a good move.

And yes, the general physics bothered me as well, but then again, I was able to guess the entire movie, so lack of realism wasn't the true problem. It was a meh film, but not the worst I've seen this year. >_> There's been worse.

ctaylor35

Oct 14, 2010
Is it just me or does it seem like movie Bob doesn't know how to do his job properly? I mean not to be rude but I've watched a few of his reviews now and I always seem to have something come to mind that he doesn't fully cover or misses entirely. Especially with reviews like Inception he actually perpetuated a fan boy like approval rather than an objective analysis.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
I'll see this once netflix sends it to my mailbox.

I usually agree with your reviews but kick-ass was in no way one of the best movies of the year. I do agree with your worst movies though.

undyingdh777

Red Lantern
Jun 25, 2008
I completely agree with everything you said in your RotF review, so even though I get the feeling you were told to say the apology, my complete agreement with your words stands.

Amund

Oct 24, 2008
Virtual_Dom said:
Chunko said:
I saw this movie last week and thought it was terrible.
Yeah me too like exactly a week ago and same opinion as you

How the hell did this get an 80 on metacritic
You have to like Westerns to like this movie.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
My mom still refuses to see true grit because she says that a girl from Arkansas would never uses words said by yale student. She actually feels that a girl in that era who is a small town farm girl wouldn't be talking that civilized and that's why she refuses to see it. I think she's mostly just biased since her family is from Arkansas and she knows first hand how farm girls talk XD

Still going to see it though XD

Oh and I do not agree about Social Network. That movie was good but not fantastic and the pacing was horrible in my opinion. Scott pilgrim and Kick-ass are still on the list though :3

Michster

Sep 16, 2009
People may make shit but that doesn't give you the right to call them names. Good thing you set that one straight Bob.

Finally another Western(ish movie)! <3

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
VanityGirl said:
Jaranja said:
VanityGirl said:
Jaranja said:

Salt.

She can't act in general, but she acted to the best of her ability in that movie. And I'm not saying it was great, but I think having a woman in that part was a good move.

And yes, the general physics bothered me as well, but then again, I was able to guess the entire movie, so lack of realism wasn't the true problem. It was a meh film, but not the worst I've seen this year. >_> There's been worse.
Not for me, I'm afraid. That was by far the worst.

ReverendJ

Mar 18, 2009
I waited all week to see you APOLOGIZE to MICHAEL BAY?!?

For shame, sir. It's the internet, Home of Childish Name Calling. Get with the program.