Ever Cheer For the Bad Guy?

J. MB

Nov 20, 2009
Revolver/Liquid Ocelot in the Metal Gear Solid series. He's technically a good guy but that's a bit of a secret. He's very cool, has access to armies bigger than the entire US Military and his objective is to destroy the guys who are labeled are more evil than he is.

Enemy Of The State

May 31, 2010
I wanted the Nazi Zombies to win in Dead Snow. Douchebag Students vs Undead Nazis (who were trying to defend their gold that the Students stole), and the fact the the students stole their gold means the Nazis are kinda the good guys... Go Zombies!

NOTE: NOT A NAZI SYMPATHIZER.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
No way! I looove cheering for the bad guys (and I want to see Orphan FYI), which is why - as I've previously discussed - I would try and make video game characters as evil as possible, so they;re at least an evil third party rather than the macho good guy.

Halo - Kill the Marines
Call of Duty - Kill your fellow soldiers
Rock Band - Kill your bandmates

SlyderEST

GfWL hater
Apr 7, 2010
Shockolate said:
I wonder how long it takes for Death Note and Code Geass (up to interpretation mind you) get mentioned.
Yeah, you reminded me Death Note. That seemed like the bad guy's going to win. Too bad it was like every other movie that has ever been made except Bambi, i think.
jibjab963 said:
Yes I often do root for the bad guys. One example is in game called Gears of War. I root for the "Bad Guys" because there only defending there planet from who? Humans of course. There is no way around it that Humans are the bad guys. Wait, does that mean I am rooting for the good guys?
You outsmarted... yourself. And I root for the alien guys too. But that's just becouse the humans have Marcus Fenix (or Felix?).

Kie

Apr 1, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
It served as an act of intimidation, which was absolutely necessary. Even if the result was greater sympathy for the rebellion, would you really expect them to go up against a superweapon like that?

I said the empire was no more evil than they, true. And how exactly aren't they? One insignificant planet out of millions, that is their sole destructive power. I'm pretty sure I've seen cartoons with a (comparatively) higher amount of destruction...
Gonna jump in here and say how exactly is killing an entire planet with perhaps some symphasiers for the rebellion (We don't know to what extent, they could of been smuggling weapons for them in which case you can symphaise with the Empire more) justified because it's an act of intimidation? Also if they can get away with just destroying one planet as intimidiation and it won't be dubbed as evil then where does the line begin? Two planets? Three? Does it have to be hundred planets before it can be classified as evil? Also even if there was some symphaisers for the rebellion does it mean that those who either didn't care or supported the empire have to be sacrificed as well?

Gonna have to completely disagree with you and say that the empire is indeed evil, after all it has a religious fanatic (Sith) as it's leader fighting a war against rebellion (Understandable) and also hunting down a lone believer (Jedi). Come to think of it why were Luke's aunt and uncle killed?

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Well, I'll be honest, I find it hard not to want Alex in A Clockwork Orange to get off free. I love him as a character and always hope that he wins.

I (and I'm sure most people) wanted Tony Montana to win in Scarface.

Stikibunn

Apr 27, 2009
I find the Enclave tantilisingly good in Fallout (mainly 3, they are asshats in the othr ones) proberbly because Augustus Autumn isn't out for killing everyone, he has half decent goals. He truely wants free water fr all... he just wants everyone to submit to mutation tests...
OK so maybe President John Henery Edan is a bad guy that wants to kill everyone but I still admire him. I listen to Enclave Radio to hear his charismatic bullshit when I'm tired of Three Dog (also because since I installed Broken Steel he goes on about how I have fixed Project Purity and I haven't done that yet!) If John Henery Edan were president right now america would be awesome.... a supercomputer makes a better president then a human

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
Iago in Othello. Evil genius at work and at the same time really quite likeable, as opposed to Othello, the whiny one.

The version with Kenneth Branagh as Iago and Laurence Fishburne as Othello is especially awesome

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Often i can relate to Antagonists. Though i think its 25% that the 'good guys' are ignorant misanthropic chauvinists, who are only 'good' because theyre a majority or minority, and the people they dont like are therefore 'bad'.

25% because the Antagonist is always put through all means of hell leading to his true iconoclastic anarchistic episodes, and then blamed for his own self preservation if he tries to get out of his punishment.

25% because most antagonists have been driven to what theyre doing, and are regarded as less than human. Ironically, most of them dont deserve their demise.

25% because most of the people they kill i cant stand in the first place.

The other 25% i hold against Antagonists, or most anyway.
It seems that most of the time, all they do is kill.
There are very few with a certain Artistic, Theatrical flare, often manifested by sadism or iconoclastic behavior. They just need to do a bit less killing, and more actions that CAN but could perhaps not end in death.
Like Jigsaw from SAW, only more open to dealing out harm themselves.

I have very interesting RPG experiences.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Well, in the anime Full Metal Panic, when Gauron boarded that big sub, I always wanted him to shoot Testarossa in the neck.

That is partly because Gauron is the only character in that anime that is really interesting, partly because Tessa is my biggest hate-character ever.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
murphy7801 said:
Jonluw said:
I at least found my self sympathizing with VIKI in i robot.
I was sitting there genuinely thinking that the protagonist was being illogical and irrational.

Edit: Does this mean that the normal person would perceive me as evil?
Nah thinking that will smiths "acting" is irritating is rational conclusion given that it so unconvincing of real life.

And I had to stop playing Killzone because I felt to much sympathy for the helgast.
Good. After all, VIKI made so much sense.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I nearly always tend to side with the Villain.It's a bit hard to relate to the Heroes when they have a near 100% success rate.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Who DIDN'T want the Terminator to win?

Also, the humans from Avatar. It was a spur of the moment thing, I can't remember what made me hate the blue freaks so much

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
I'm rooting for the bad guys most of the time.

Avatar was a special case though...

'Omigosh, we are a tribe worshiping nature, and we are proud warriors, we don't have flaws, look at us, we are the good guys, yadda yadda yadda, protect the homeland, yadda yadda yadda save the nature yadda yadda'

I was sick of it. And then comes Colonel Miles with his awesome look, awesome army, and AWESOME MECH. Hell yeah, go Miles! Destroy those blue pricks!