Every Game Ever

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Saw boobs. Clicked.

IS THAT YOU PLAN ALL ALONG, GREY AND CORY?! DON'T LIE TO ME! WHAT'S YOUR END GAME?!?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Two things:

[X] < 6 hours--in most AAA games
and
Where are the Russians? You can't have a every game template without Russians.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I would probably play the Hell out of a game like that.

*sigh* Duke Nukem Forever, what might've been.

Grey Carter said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
It's just a cheap shot, made by snooty and aloof hipsters who think it makes them the God of Satire, when in fact it just shows that they don't know how writing works.
Gods of satire, surely. And you think we don't know how writing works. :)
Thus the boob embiggening!

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Grey Carter said:
You know if I had posted that I would have received a low content warning and would have gained another bar.........I guess be a contributor comes with unfair perks T_T.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
But... you forgot the part where you get sent off on a tangent to collect the [PLOT VOUCHER].

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
Mocmocman said:
grigjd3 said:
PunkRex said:
VectorZero said:
[pop culture reference]
[Witty retort]
[Third party jumping in with unhelpful, antagonistic statement]
[Long worded retort explaining why third party is wrong, unintentionally restating third party's statements.]
[Comparison between above poster's statement and Nazis.]

OT: Alright, this made me laugh. 'specially since I swear I've played a few dozen iterations of of [Game].

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Kinda feels more like every movie ever rather than every game ever but still a fair point. There really is a lot of run on with plot structure.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Lt. Rocky said:
Interesting how a comic showing the cliches in games winds up showing a cliche in gamers. I've lost count of how many people are making note of the girl's chest size.

It makes one wonder: are we as two-dimensional as what we play or are exposed to?
Nobody is as deep as they think they are.

If you think you aren't like everbody else, you're wrong.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
mdqp said:
I lolled... And then I lolled again. Great comic, but I must say that the evil thing is a bit too original, you should have gone for a giant robot, because everyone love giant robots, even when they are evil.
I was thinking a giant crab that has it's weak spot open up periodically to fire a laser beam which can be targeted from the side or while it charges up.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I feel like this is the moment you maybe realize you're making fun of games because they are unsophisticated. Which is weird since video games are mostly for, you know, teenager/kids.

Its like demanding more variation in superhero cartoons.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
omicron1 said:
Guess the game!

Long ago, exiled you. You escaped. So sent raiders to destroy you. They failed. So you travel across the game world, fighting enemies and accruing allies, in order to take revenge on and reclaim your original heritage.

(Not every game ever. Just the unmemorable ones. Heck, in some games YOU're the one who unleashes the ancient spirit of vengeance or whatnot. )
Sounds a little bit like kotor 2. Except that game is rad.

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Therumancer said:
I was thinking a giant crab that has it's weak spot open up periodically to fire a laser beam which can be targeted from the side or while it charges up.
Let's go all the way to the bottom, then, and make it an evil wizard (it's always their fault, anyway).

:D :D :D

P.s.

Chibi Erin looks a bit too round, was it her boss who made that gif? Sounds plausible, right?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
I feel like this is the moment you maybe realize you're making fun of games because they are unsophisticated. Which is weird since video games are mostly for, you know, teenager/kids.

Hey, thanks for reading.

1: It's not really about sophistication as it is satisfying narratives. Most games stick to the Hero's Journey arc because it's a very easy story to tell. What's weird is that many games deviate from that traditional arc in odd ways that make the game less satisfying. A great example of this is introducing an antagonist who harasses the player throughout the game, then having the "main boss" kill them, or killing them offscreen. Games are very good at giving players a sense of achievement, yet their narratives often directly contradict that aim.

2: The average gamer is 30, I think it's time we started demanding more from our entertainment.

3: Just because something is aimed at older kids/teens doesn't mean it has an excuse to be creatively bankrupt. "Young adult" lit is currently making a killing because it treats young readers with respect. I think games should do the same.

knight steel said:
You know if I had posted that I would have received a low content warning and would have gained another bar.........I guess be a contributor comes with unfair perks T_T.
Except that's a hand-drawn animation made specifically for this topic. It took Cory a couple of hours and is definitely not low-content.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
lithiumvocals said:
omicron1 said:
Guess the game!

Long ago, exiled you. You escaped. So sent raiders to destroy you. They failed. So you travel across the game world, fighting enemies and accruing allies, in order to take revenge on and reclaim your original heritage.

(Not every game ever. Just the unmemorable ones. Heck, in some games YOU're the one who unleashes the ancient spirit of vengeance or whatnot. )
Sounds a little bit like kotor 2. Except that game is rad.
I was thinking Homeworld.

I guess it is a bit of a trope plot... wasn't there some guy that said there were only ever six plots for western novels? Maybe the same thing applies here.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Grey Carter said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:

Hey, thanks for reading.

1: It's not really about sophistication as it is satisfying narratives. Most games stick to the Hero's Journey arc because it's a very easy story to tell. What's weird is that many games deviate from that traditional arc in odd ways that make the game less satisfying. A great example of this is introducing an antagonist who harasses the player throughout the game, then having the "main boss" kill them, or killing them offscreen. Games are very good at giving players a sense of achievement, yet their narratives often directly contradict that aim.

2: The average gamer is 30, I think it's time we started demanding more from our entertainment.

3: Just because something is aimed at older kids/teens doesn't mean it has an excuse to be creatively bankrupt. "Young adult" lit is currently making a killing because it treats young readers with respect. I think games should do the same.
I'm pretty sure I've read every single CriticalMiss strip, many of them more than once. So big you're welcome haha.

And I should add I'm the one who wants more variation in superhero cartoons. I love Young Justice and greatly enjoy how much care they take in crafting each episode/arc. And I'm pretty bummed that there isn't a Marvel equivalent. The only one I thought that came close recently was Wolverine and the X-men and that show got canceled.

I hope what you said is true about the average gamer. I think the group is certainly getting bigger. I'm just thinking we are demanding exactly what you described, but the population just isn't there to make it happen on a regular basis. Same for me and superhero cartoons, if Young Justice gets canceled perhaps the older audience isn't as big as I've imagined and I'm probably just a weirdo.

I always thought that games like Dead Space would have moved toward their niches if they just had been bigger.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Attention everyone:

BOOOOOOOOOBS.

That will be all.

Though you could've used a smoother transition in size from panel 2 to 3.