Extra Punctuation: BAFTAs Are Bollocks

geckoguy18

Apr 12, 2010
anyone else notice how the technical innovation consisted of almost nothing but sequels? Doesn't that sort of imply, you know, the same shit but just expanding the story?

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
The sales numbers of Call of Duty Black Ops can't be trumped by the next Modern Warface-by committee game. Having more than one company designing elements of the same game, is like getting different architects to design parts of the same house; they're not building a hotel, this is a game that, if nothing else, is cohesive.

The bubble will burst, and it'll burst sooner rather than later.

At any rate, I'm ready to ridicule the Call of Duty fanatics that go out and buy Modern Warfare 3 on day one.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Cleril said:
FallenMessiah88 said:
Its things like this that really makes me wonder if a career in the games industry is the best choice for me...
Huh, then maybe it isn't. Pardon me for logic here, but if you base what the best career choice for you is based on a voting of what games are good....are you really choosing the career for yourself? I'd think you're choosing it to be recognized by others. I'm not trying to be a downer, just pointing out what I see.
Im choosing this career because, as long as I can remember, I've wanted to work with video games. I simply love video games, from old school platformers to modern shooter giants like Call Of Duty. But lately it seems to me like the industry is taking a turn for the worse. But to be fair, in relation to my previous post, it has more to do with me really really really disliking Activision, so perhaps i should have worded it differently.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
I'm just shocked/appalled that people still think BlackOps is 'the shit' enough to vote for it in an otherwise decent awards ceremony.

Rano

Dec 14, 2010
"as hollow and vacant as the eyes of a child prostitute." wow, nice one. Geography is pointless in a world where we have GPS in everything and google maps. hell i could point out most places in Azeroth faster than i could find the capital of Spain

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
bushwhacker2k said:
BarbaricGoose said:
Heavy Rain had plot holes? This is news to me.
Lol, sarcasm ftw.
Actually, it wasn't sarcasm. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and didn't remember any plot holes. Some were pointed out to me earlier in the thread, however.

Still really enjoyed the game, though. Plot holes and all.

Rano said:
Geography is pointless in a world where we have GPS in everything and google maps. hell i could point out most places in Azeroth faster than i could find the capital of Spain
This is so true it's scary...

Iskhiaro

Sep 15, 2010
the thing that bothered me was Hot Pursuit beating Starcraft 2 for best multiplayer game.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Quality isn't something you can decide by majority vote.

Let's take a moment to notice something; it's a distinctly populist award that nonetheless included LIMBO among its nominees. I like to think that this is a hopeful sign.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
JourneyThroughHell said:
Kermi said:
I don't think you were hard enough on Black Ops, Yahtzee. It was not just bland and predictable. It was bad. In every way that matters, it underachieved and in some places was outright unreservedly, inexcusably poor.
Well, then, good thing this is a fact. Why don't you say how fucked the industry is and how little the standards are of those who enjoy it?

You don't have to, though. There's already a thread full of elitism and riding the high horse.
Calm down, son. If you're impressed with and enjoyed Black Ops I can't imagine why my opinion matters to you.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
I'm so glad yahtzee called out the BAVGAs BAFTAVGAs with their frankly bizarre nominations that seem to just be popular games crammed half-arsed into categories...yep, I have nothing else to add but that...

Patton662

Apr 4, 2010
The only reason Heavy Rain won anything is because it was essentially a film, they went for what was most familiar. Bullshits all around.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
When you said nom the first time I thought it was just a typo for nod, but then it happened again, and now... now I'm just confused.

etocadet

Jun 21, 2010
Mass Effect 2 was my favourite game of the year so I'm glad it won, I do believe it shouldn't have won a the story award because it's overall story was nonexistent,

the ending of ME1: the reapers are coming we need to prepare

the ending of ME2: the reapers are coming we need to prepare

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Having a people's choice award is stupid. It will always go to whatever bland, mediocre shooter came out that year.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I think the reason Black Ops won was simply because in a category where you lay out the voting to the general public, the one the most people of played is the one that's going to win.

I'm more upset that Red Dead Redemption only got one nomination. Surprised that Yahtzee didn't mention that big omission, considering it was his most favourite game with actual artistic merit and third favoruite game overall.