Fans Protest Tera's Censorship

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Oh those silly koreans (Tera is developed in S.Korea, right?)
They think that european is nationality :D
And even better- european is combination of stereotypes
Looks like stereotypical norwegian (2m high blond with blue eyes)
Denies/ignores all violence like stereotypical german
And pretends sexuality doesn't exist like stereotypical british
I simply adore those ignorant morons :)

But to be honest Tera will fail in Europe not because of blood or 9y-olds-in-panties.
It will fail because this land is occupied by WoW and your game doesn't offer anything new.
Simple as that.

Aloran

Oct 9, 2008
I think the main issue is the fact that the US is completely uncensored with regards to blood whereas the EU has been censored pretty heavily. From what I understand it's to do with the distributors/ managers of the projects for each of the regions.

Enmasse are responsible for the NA servers whereas Frogster are responsible for the EU servers. I will agree that there is a lot of fanservice in the game but it's nice to see people getting up in arms about something non-sex related for once.

Jun 11, 2008
Just as add a slider that has a cap based on the users age problem solved. I mean no one has ever lied about their age on the internet to get into any sites and if they did, there is no way to prove it. Well without TS or Vent.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
Game gets rating.
Game gets cut to get in line with said rating.

Am I reading this backwards or is the rating system completely the wrong way around?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So it's not the practically naked little girls that they're censoring.
The fuck?

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Okay show of hands: Who else thought this would be related to the dress-code?
*Raises hand*

I thought that it would be something to do with the outrage people have over the little girls because "OMG whoever play's this game is a pedo" and all that. Im actully surprised Fox news hasn't jumped on this to declare that gaming creates pedos.

Im not going to complain about them protesting the removal of blood. It's censorship and doesn't really sit right with me. I'd probably be annoyed too if I had any interest in the game just because I know im playing a censored version.

Of course I wouldn't have thought it was that big a deal. Maybe let the developers know on their forums that they are displeased with it but I don't see the need for a petition. If they feel that strongly though then I wish them luck with it since I really don't want to be one of "those" people who whine and moan about gamer entitlement every time something like this happens.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
From the headline, I thought it would be the other way around.

The only thing that ticks me off about this is that the featured character is wearing a plate mail bikini.

My fellow Fantasy fans: Female armor can still be sexy WITHOUT exposing flesh to oncoming weapons or having the character wearing it pose like a hooker.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
When I read the title to this article, I was like "Ah, so they decided to censor some of the ludicrous sex appeal..." But no, blood? I mean, I don't care for the censorship either way, but is there really still a thing in this day and age about censoring blood? Where's the logic here? Do they really think that seeing blood will make us into raving murderers?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to see more blood in the game, there was some in the beta, but not much. But I wish they would cover up the females a bit more though. It's pretty ridiculous, I can't take the females in the game seriously because they all wear little more than an iron bikini. I originally created a female, then I looked at the outfits you can preview when creating your character and was kind of like "what the hell?" then I made a male character.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
If the European mainstream has such an aversion to blood, it's no wonder your women don't shave.

Okay show of hands: Who else thought this would be related to the dress-code?
Sadly my hopes of Tera's dress-code abandoning the creepy and face-palm worthy chainmail bikinis were instantly dashed.

Buretsu said:
According to their backstory, the Elin form a physical body around a fragment of their divine being. So it's really just a shell or construct.
And subsequently they picked scantily clad pre-pubescent girls with cat ears as their physical representation. Not creepy at all.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I completely agree. To hell with censorship! I have never played the game myself and I don't plan to, but it's a matter of principle.

As far as sexualization goes, I'm not against games having sexual content, but I still personally feel that things such as the age of consent should be taken into consideration. Therefore I think changing the Elin outfits was the right decision because as far as I understand, this was an internal decision.

Subatomic

Sep 1, 2011
Neonsilver said:
However, in Europe, Tera was given a much lower 12+ rating by PEGI.
I don't really understand this, the game already got a low rating and they still want to cut the blood out?

I understand it if they would do this to get a lower rating.
It really doesn't make a lot of sense. Best explanation I can come up with is that PEGI ratings can be given under the condition that the developer changes X, i.e. "you'll get a PEGI12 for your game if you remove the blood, otherwise it's gonna be PEGI15".
Also, I doubt the Germans are at fault here (at least this time :p), as a) we don't even use the PEGI ratings, we have our own USK ratings, and b) similar games got comparable ratings without cutting anything. WoW, SW:TOR and Warhammer Online for example all got a USK12 rating while being completely unaltered in the level of violence.