Far Cry 4 Is "Packed to The Gills" With Women

Saippua

Jan 30, 2011
Why bother trying to please the social justice people, as you see from this very thread, whatever you say they'll find something to complain about. They like to complain, thats why they are into this stuff.

timeformime

Jul 27, 2012
erttheking said:
While I am totally on board with female villains, I feel like if you need to point out something that wasn't in your promotional material, you fucked up. I mean, that's the POINT of promotional material isn't it? I just...I feel like the devs are trying hard at Ubisoft and a bunch of corporate big wigs are making their lives really hard.
To be fair, it can't be easy for them to represent the entire friggin' 40+ hour monstrous open world experience in a few 5 minute long demos. They only showed the first 5 minutes and a a few demos of combat. And what exactly obligates them to show or tell us more?

If they've spoiled too much of a game building hype or clearing up various questions, or trying to smooth over absurd misinformed overreactions, then in my opinion, that's when they've really fucked up. 2K was guilty of this in promoting Bioshock Infinite. I only enjoyed it as much as I did because I avoided its coverage like the plague, in order to get the actual story from the horse's mouth (ie: the actual game).

Building hype with snippets of every last thing and bullet points of game features happens all too often. If Ubisoft does their job, there will be enough people excited for the game but the experience and story will still mostly be a mystery.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It must have cost them billions of dollars just to put all of those women in the game. They've probably been working on it for a decade too unless they have no animations.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Therumancer said:
Ix Rebound said:
Wait, what?

So their earlier excuse of "animating women is HAAAAARRRD guizzzz" is now completely invalidated now that their game is now "Packed to the gills with women".

"OMG guys!, turns out animating women is so easy, we decided to shove a shit-load of them in the game, who would have thought?.......Hmm?....What's that? Having a female protagonist? Why would we have that?"
Snip
You seem to be missing a point here Ix Rebound is making, people were not complaining about the SP protagonist but the optional COOP. story isn't of importance for characters in COOP because the story is about the group, group storytelling does not require a characters sex or sexual orientation to move the group along, it requires a story that motivates them to do X,Y, and Z or A, B, and C as a group.

So FC4 has plenty of female NPC's but none are a protagonist character and thus Ubisoft completely dropped the ball and missed the point of the latest controversy.

As for animating the females a developer who has worked with AC animations has publicly stated it wouldn't be hard to do and another studio created a female protagonist including new outfits within days of the controversy. So Ubisoft has missed the point with this press release and dropped the ball by not making a female protagonist for the COOP or multiplayer mode that FC4 will have as well as be insulting by making the females mostly antagonists.

*Edit captcha: Chuck Norris

If I got that wrong would I have been kicked in the head so hard they would find bits of my skull and brain on Mars when humans finally land there? Then make those future humans think there were aliens who were killed off by roundhouse kicks to the noggin?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
AlexReynard said:
Literally nothing is ever good enough for you people, is it? No concession, no apology, is ever good enough that you won't nitpick the wording to pieces, trying to find some way to declare whoever-it-is as the problem. No matter what they do or say.
This is the internet. If people aren't complaining, something has gone horribly wrong.

The sad thing is, if he hadn't outright acknowledged the existence of women in this game, I have no doubt that soon people would have been assuming the worst and once again vilifying them. I still don't get why out of all the game devs out there (many of whom fill their games with macho, bro-dudes), everyone picked Ubisoft to vilify over this issue when they're probably one of the better devs when it comes to this stuff. Yes they fucked up, by why aren't people clamoring more to jump down Activition's throats for the lack of female characters in CoDs? Not saying that just because other people do it worse, Ubisoft shouldn't be called out, but it does seem like an odd place to aim all the anger. Is it just because of how their PR handled everything? If that's the case, I don't know if people really have their priorities straight. Again, not defending Ubisoft, I just think there are bigger and more prevalent issues.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
Is it just because of how their PR handled everything? If that's the case, I don't know if people really have their priorities straight. Again, not defending Ubisoft, I just think there are bigger and more prevalent issues.
Yeah it is mostly the PR, and yeah priorities are straight. If PR does something wrong then later doubles down on that by missing the point wildly and nobody complains both times the company will assume everything is great and all others will as well. Executives listen to PR and the responses to the PR, they ignore most everything else unless it is some way to milk more money from the customers. Bad PR means loss of money and other companies watch the competitions PR and the reaction to it. If it is a bad reaction they will start doing exactly what everyone was complaining about not being done just to take customers away from the competition.

This is a good thing for customers to single out a company that pulls a PR catastrophe, it tells that companies competitors that there is a demographic looking for something and a way to milk it by making it happen. Us customers need to remember to complain if those companies pull an idiot move in the PR department and give them the same treatment.

GeneralBigG

Environmentalist Clarksonian
Jun 26, 2012
Greymanelor said:
zehydra said:
This implies that Far Cry 4 is a fish.

That is incorrect.
Clearly you haven't heard the news. New DLC coming, Far Cry 4: Blood Fish. You play as Jawsome Megalodon Mawlone, a cybernetic street-shark cop who doesn't play by the rules and is a sex machine to all the ladies.
You jest, good sir, but I would BUY ALL THE SHIT OUTTA THAT!!!

RicoADF said:
The problem is that yourself and most people don't understand is that AC5 wont be offering a traditional coop experience but rather one similar to Watch Dogs. Let me explain:
In Watch Dogs when you invade another player's game your seen as some random NPC model to the other player however on your game you'll see yourself as Aiden Piece and the other player is a random NPC. In this way both players see themselves as the protagonist and see the other player and 'someone else', keeping the immersion of still playing your game while offering MP without a bunch of clones.

It sounds like AC5 is doing the same system however their using it for coop rather than verses, you will see yourself as the main assassin character and the other players will look like random NPC assassin models (both male and females), however each player will see themselves as the main character and you as the NPC model etc.

It makes a lot of sense and frankly I give credit to Ubisoft for pulling it off, when playing Watch Dogs it's quite fluid and pulls off the trick perfectly so I look forward to seeing it as a coop version in ACV, just wish Ubisoft had someone with some brains to explain it better so the general customers understood what the issue was.
The problem, for me, with comparing the co-op experience in AssCreed: Unity with the multiplayer in Watch_Dogs is that Ubi have specifically said that your co-op character in AssCreed will be CUSTOMISABLE. Watch_Dogs does indeed generate a random NPC model for you to appear as to other players, and I've personally seen both male and female models used. AssCreed will ONLY let you appear as a male. THAT is the difference.

Redflash

Mar 21, 2012
AlexReynard said:
Literally nothing is ever good enough for you people, is it? No concession, no apology, is ever good enough that you won't nitpick the wording to pieces, trying to find some way to declare whoever-it-is as the problem. No matter what they do or say.

EDIT: How can some of you, with a straight face, complain about female enemies being killed in games, yet not care in the slightest that throughout the history of gaming, there have been innumerable games where you kill endless waves of all-male enemies, specifically because that is less troubling to the player than killing women?
My thoughts exactly. Everyone here who's trotting out grandiose statements about the cynicism of Ubi making this statement needs to simmer the hell down. It's pretty easy to unpack this whole thing...

Ass Creed and everything that blew up over it is very much in the public gaming eye at the moment, and even more so in the publisher's eyes. So of course someone working on a project that has already attracted furious cries of 'RACISM!' from people who clearly just couldn't sit back and wait for more information is going to want to get it out into public knowledge very early on that women will play a big part in their game. What else did you expect?

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
Mirrorknight said:
UbiSoft. Just...stop. When you're in a hole, just. stop. digging.
They may as well dig to fucking china at this point, people are going to bury them regardless of what they do. Nobody cares about intentions anymore just words that they can twist and give new meaning to.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Not just villains, but also fellow rebel comrades will be female NPCs, dammit: " On your side, one of the main leaders of the rebel faction is a woman, half the rebels that fight with you are women."
Once again, people on The Escapist's forums go ballistic and vilify before reading carefully through what's in front of them.
Of course the "packed to the gills with women" comment is stupid (the PR guy must've been under a lot of pressure considering recent controversies, yes?), but it shows they're at least putting some effort into it, even if they're trying a bit too hard to go around telling people about it.
At least, I hope they put in female coop/multiplayer characters to give players a choice - they still haven't said anything about that, right?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Teeheehee! Oh my...this report is cringeworthy, my toes are cramping up!
Im sure AC's usual multiplayer will have females, as they alwaus have. It's just the unnecessary co-op mode that is stuck with this crazy controversy.
I actually feel sorry for UBI now, they have been backed into a corner by typical sensationalist media. Now we have them saying this pitiful stuff to overcome it all. Fucking media.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
It's a bit sad that you have to explicitly put "craploads of women" as a selling point/appeasement to the Great Internet Shitstorm Machine(tm).

Jesus, just put women in there and let the game do the goddamn talking.

Captcha: that will not work

Spot on, Captcha. Spot on.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'll withhold my judgement until I see exactly how these women are represented (particularly the high ranking antagonists and the rebel leader and whether any of them are actual characters as opposed to one dimensional archetypes, and whether they literally all look the same or not).

That's of course after I point and laugh at the awkward sales pitch. I wonder if "packed to the gills with women" will become a meme for whenever a company does this sort of thing.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
FarCry 3 had a female rebel leader...

... It was EXTREMELY poorly handled. I'm still slightly embarrassed playing through that scenario.

But, yeah... "packed to the gills with women. They're everywhere, just like life!"

You know what else is "just like life"? Women with leading roles.

I'd like that slice of life too, please.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Why am I reminded of that judge in Louisiana who said he had 'piles and piles' of black friends?

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
AlexReynard said:

EDIT: How can some of you, with a straight face, complain about female enemies being killed in games, yet not care in the slightest that throughout the history of gaming, there have been innumerable games where you kill endless waves of all-male enemies, specifically because that is less troubling to the player than killing women?
Actually, becuase when I read this description, I kept putting in "GTA 3" in instead of Far Cry 4, and the story still fit?