Final Fantasy 16

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So there are two short stories written by the OG writer for FF7 called Lifestream Light and Lifestream Dark. They are meant to be stories that bridge the narrative between FF7 original and Advent Children.

Lifestream Dark tells the story of the essence of Sephiroth who still exists in the lifestream as a consciousness because of Cloud's refusal to forget about him. Cloud as we know is torn up with the guilt of Aerith's death and how he should have stopped Sephiroth. In so doing, Cloud's memories keep the lifestream from being able to completely absorb Sephiroth, his memories prevent Sephiroth from truly dying. Sephiroth realizes this and runs through the lifestream touching people, corrupting them and leaving his Stigmata upon them. Because if he can make enough people think about him, envision him he can use that to manifest himself again, through the few remnants of people with Jenova cells throughout the world.

Thus his line at the end of Advent Children "I will never be a memory".

This is also how Sephiroth cannonically chases Cloud to other universes like Kingdom Hearts and Smash Bros. Because he exists where-ever Cloud is because Cloud can't let the memory of him go.

Now assuming that the Remake saga is a technical sequel to the FF7 series (post advent children), Sephiroth appearing to fuck with Cloud fits because he needs Cloud to be thinking about him in order to continue to exist through the lifestream, (even when he's physically frozen in the northern crater). Also keep in mind that everything Sephiroth does in Remake is to try and break Cloud away from the choices he made in the original game. Everywhere Sephiroth appears, he is trying to get Cloud to do something else.

In Chapter 2 where in the original game Cloud meets Aerith for a minute and they break away, Sephiroth appears and leads Cloud down a bunch of alleys to try and prevent this meeting from happening. If Cloud never meets Aerith then there is no reason Cloud would get invested in the big Shinra hunt nor the chase for Sephiroth himself. Nor could Cloud follow Aerith to the Temple of the Ancients to interfere with getting the Black Materia. Basically a lot of shit changes if CLoud never meets Aerith.

But what happens, when we see Aerith she is fighting away the invisible ghosts because the planet NEEDS her to meet Cloud, so the ghosts keep her in town only enough for her and Cloud to meet, but when the meeting goes on too long they appear again to chase her away.

The story of Lifestream Light is in the same way Sephiroth's essence remains whole within the lifestream, Aerith uses her communication with the planet to keep herself together in the lifestream as well. She helps keep Holy at the ready to unleash it for the planet as soon as the Sephiroth's hold breaks, she watches the party but mostly she watches Sephiroth. When he finally dies and becomes part of the Lifestream she follows him, tracks him, and watches what he does while doing the best she can to minimize the effects of his geostigma.

This leads to Remake where throughout the game Aerith says and hints at things that she should have zero knowledge about. People speculate that this is because the original Aerith is feeding the Remake's Aerith hints about what's going on, what will happen, and how things need to happen. Giving her knowledge and abilities she should not have at this point in our story. Much in the same way the Sephiroth essence is trying to fuck with the story, Aerith's essence is trying to save it.

Kitase has said that the original ending of FF7 is the bad ending. We see Red13 running through a canyon to Midgar which is revealed to be completely overgrown and reclaimed by nature. This is a world without humans, who've all been killed off by the planet's weapons to prevent humans from continuing to drain Mako energy or abuse it's resources ever again. This is the bad ending so to speak and through the Remake's upcoming events it's hinted that there is a possibility that this time we can make a better ending happen for everyone.
All of this just make me like the story less and less. Ultimately they didn't think about all that mumbo jumbo as a natural extension of the story of FF7, they just needed to make stuff up to justify bringing Sephiroth back over and over. Also, does anyone actually care about advent children being cannon? And the whole "bad ending" with the weapon wiping out humanity, why isn't that the sequel instead of this pseudo sequel/remake where we have a Schrodinger story where everything is the same and different at the same time.

Why did they not just make a straight sequel? Well because people care about the original and they know that a straight sequel would suck (see every straight sequel in FF history) and that would have ended with much less sales. So they had to make a remake, but for some inexplicable reason, they think their better than the original team at making a story, so they throw a tantrum and sneak in the sequel aspect and change a bunch of stuff that didn't need change (avalanche are incopotent, Shrina is pointlessly stupid, Sephiroth constantly show up his face for no reason).

This is all I can think about the change.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
All of this just make me like the story less and less. Ultimately they didn't think about all that mumbo jumbo as a natural extension of the story of FF7, they just needed to make stuff up to justify bringing Sephiroth back over and over. Also, does anyone actually care about advent children being cannon? And the whole "bad ending" with the weapon wiping out humanity, why isn't that the sequel instead of this pseudo sequel/remake where we have a Schrodinger story where everything is the same and different at the same time.
I mean, that's kind of Final Fantasy's whole thing right? Most FF stories are convoluted and all over the fucking place with random arbiturary things that come from nowhere to make the plot work.

Remember when the big bad of FF5 turned into a splinter and embedded himself into one of the heroes just to ambush them later?
Can you tell me what the fucking is a Cacoon Fal'cie?
I'm Bosh Von Ronsenburg of DAlmasca
Oh Tidus is a dream by the way, but also not really a dream in the way we understand dreams, but still a dream but also a dream with a human upbringing and entire backstory plus family relationships that actively affect several worlds somehow.
You know would be cool, a school of assassin kids.

Japanese stories are weird man, i dunno what to tell you.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Man I'm glad I avoid spoilers cause all this talk about Zack "surviving" somehow (how do you even survive being shot by a literal infinite number of guys, cause in the original CC they just keep coming at you till you ded) sounds nanners to me. I'll just play the remake sequel and see if it diverges and how good it is being itself when it releases lol.

But yeah of course if Zack somehow survives he will wanna get Angeal's sword back I bet.

I did play some Dissidia and saw Advent Children, and thought they were balls. Pure style over substance. The vision is consistent... with the weakest earlier installments, like Dissidia, Advent Children, and FF15. It's not at all consistent with the strongest entries, which I'd consider 4 - 10.
Right, which is my point as well. By incorporating DMC to that ideal vision you add depth of substance in mechanics, which is the thing missing. DMC has some of the most mechanical depth out of any such action game so it's where you'd go to realize that vision. (Though to be fair XV was a whole lot worse than Dissidia, cause its button inputs were more like suggestions rather than tied to specific commands.)

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's interesting to point out that even though we laughed at them promising that there would be no day 1 patch for the game, the day 1 patch they are now doing is to directly address feedback from people playing the demo. Framerate fixes, motion blur toggle, and controller button rebinding. SO honestly it's the player's fault for this patch and it's actually not bad from the stand point that they're willing addressing people's feedback and going into the game to make adjustments based off of it.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
He was doing that "defy fate with me!" bollocks in the first Remake game though. In the original he's barely present until endgame, except as a form of Jenova who has no recognition of Cloud. In Remake its the Sephiroth show, he's everpresent, he's the final boss, he's destiny bonded with you. And it's all just cos he was a fan favourite; they've twisted the story in service of that.

Plus, fate ghosts are silly. Very silly. Defeat some ghosts to destroy fate so we can change the future is silly.
Oh hey, someone else who also apparently actually paid attention to the throughline of FF7, lol. Welcome. It's a lonely table.

(Really, you could slap any of the on-poster antagonists from 4-X with the similar treatment. They're all the second fiddles (though Kefka graduates (and X-death gets to be the exception) in their own tales. But Sephiroth probably sets the record for low screen time in his own game once they throw in the "twist")

But yeah, there is post-FF7 lore that explains it. Though that also turns Cloud into the most powerful psychic anchor for spirits in the world, again without any explanation. One ****pull to justify another. (The more logical case being that the late 90s ever popular fad with black trenchcoats and to some extent reformed villlains (not the Sephiroph ever reforms hit lightning in a bottle for them and they wrote a bunch of stuff to capitilze off that. Which also explains why the other main console spinoff of it followed the simialr party member who has like 7 lines of dialogue in the whole game)

FF has really run the gamut though. FF1 (which initself is a direct crib, minus the battle systems, of early CRPG's like the first Ultima Trilogy) borowed those games sense of "throw all the nerdy stuff in the blender and hope something vaguely coherent comes out. Hence you get seven versions of mytholgoy, a space station, time travel and what all (No random late game side line into a first person space combat though lol).

Then it started to slim down into a more general sci-fi/fantasy writing style, where the general rule is (like) our world, but 1-6 things are different this way (the two most common being magic and monsters are real). Some of the sci-fi stuff was still hanging around but very much presented as magic-tech. Which coalesced in FF6 which had a very grounded overall steampunk vibe powered by the magic.

7 itself as a standalone game, isn't too far off this either. The tech level is upped, and more modern tech is thrown on. But its almost a more futurist evolution of 6's setting. Until Jenova comes in and we've got an alien invasion (essentially).

Post-FF7 continuations and most of the games after that start wandering way off (9 being the throwback one). They throw out the "our world but some basic thing changed, and there's literally hundreds of litlle details that suddenly need re-explaining. By FF13 there's basically a Wikipedia attached to the game because explaining this stuff in-presentation is literlaly impossible.

Which was more or less my critique of the demo story. I haven't gone back ot finish the last (quarter, or so, I'm told). But there's damn near a full hour of basically a cutscene minus some "you push the walk stick" moments. Of people throwing around names and terms like they're supposed to mean anything. What is a Wyvern? A Dominant? Why are these people fighting? Who are these other dudes? Cool, Shiva's fighting Titan, which is a decent looking cutscene but means basically nothing, even though I have series knowledge to know those are both Summons/GFs/Eidolons/whatever we're calling them now (what were Summons meant ot be in FF7 anyways? They're explained in most of the other ones lol)

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
SO honestly it's the player's fault for this patch and it's actually not bad from the stand point that they're willing addressing people's feedback and going into the game to make adjustments based off of it.
No, the players can't be blamed, as this is stuff that should have been in the game in the first place on a new generation console. Turning off motion blur should be there by default. No one in their right mind likes motion blur. The framerate stuff is a bit more understandable, but if you're charging $70+ on an expensive console, I expect results. I am glad the patch is happening, but it still doesn't change the fact people called this out years ago, and that SE couldn't make up their mind and head to back pedal.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Did you get Thanos snapped?
?

Zack survives in Remake because we defied the fate ghosts (though the real reason is because he's a fan favourite edgy boi). That's an explicitly different timeline than the original FF7, and a major departure. What chu talkin bout?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
But yeah, there is post-FF7 lore that explains it. Though that also turns Cloud into the most powerful psychic anchor for spirits in the world, again without any explanation. One ****pull to justify another.
There's "World of FF7" lore to explain every little thing that didn't need explaining, like the agonising cringe of Genesis Rhapsodos. Just look at that name, and it tells you all you need to know.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Preload is up on ps5 btw. The menu music is gorgeous.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
There's "World of FF7" lore to explain every little thing that didn't need explaining, like the agonising cringe of Genesis Rhapsodos. Just look at that name, and it tells you all you need to know.
No I'm really quite fine with taking a game as presented.

Crono Cross I think was patient zero for the whole shift, at least to my recollection. Let's make a 60 hour long convoluted answer to a purely hypothetical question posed during a cutscene in an optional side quest of the first game. (In the process, also introducing a twist that retroactively devalues all the characters from the original game into mere simulations)

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Japanese stories are weird man, i dunno what to tell you.
Sure are, but I'll always maintain that this anything goes approach to narrative is a much better example of what makes the medium artistically unique than the kind that's directly trying to imitate that of blockbuster movies.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Sure are, but I'll always maintain that this anything goes approach to narrative is a much better example of what makes the medium artistically unique than the kind that's directly trying to imitate that of blockbuster movies.
I always interpret things portraying themselves as "cinematic" or "like a movie" as marketing-speak, rather than an authentic expression of the artistic vision going into a game.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I always interpret things portraying themselves as "cinematic" or "like a movie" as marketing-speak, rather than an authentic expression of the artistic vision going into a game.
From the cynical standpoint, anything releasing itself under the Final Fantasy branding is arguably already coming from a place of compromise.

You'd have to assume a "true artistic vision" would just be its own thing, and not carry a weird overhead brand that itself has no canon or distinct elements. Unless the artist is really die hard on needing Chocobos or Moogles in universe.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
From the cynical standpoint, anything releasing itself under the Final Fantasy branding is arguably already coming from a place of compromise.

You'd have to assume a "true artistic vision" would just be its own thing, and not carry a weird overhead brand that itself has no canon or distinct elements. Unless the artist is really die hard on needing Chocobos or Moogles in universe.
Nah it's been around for long enough that current era devs could realistically have always dreamed of their own ideal for a FF game coming up so now are at a point of realizing that ideal. Just because it's part of a series doesn't mean you have to compromise yourself to match it, if anything it means you're finally free to make a game that is allowed to contain the things you always wished but which were often seen as too fantastical or out there by the regular status quo governing most non-final fantasy properties, the vast majority of which are decidedly less fantastical and over the top.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Nah it's been around for long enough that current era devs could realistically have always dreamed of their own ideal for a FF game coming up so now are at a point of realizing that ideal. Just because it's part of a series doesn't mean you have to compromise yourself to match it, if anything it means you're finally free to make a game that is allowed to contain the things you always wished but which were often seen as too fantastical or out there by the regular status quo governing most non-final fantasy properties, the vast majority of which are decidedly less fantastical and over the top.
Uh... sure. Should I just go pluck any 5 random JRPG's off the new list on PsStore here as countepoints, or ...

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Uh... sure. Should I just go pluck any 5 random JRPG's off the new list on PsStore here as countepoints, or ...
Those 5 would swim in a sea of thousands of games from other genres if we look at total game releases for the same time window, especially when correcting for budget and looking at games with FF-tier butdgets, so my point stands.