Final Fantasy 16

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Yeah bruh! The DMC5 combat director, Ryota Suzuki had nothing to do with DmC (2013) combat. You have to remember to use the correct abbreviations. This is why "reboots/re-imaginings" always having the same name is fucking dumb! We already talked about this with Mortal Kombat, and you see how confusing and annoying it gets.
It’s weird though. Why would only the 2013 reboot not capitalize the m? It’s like if they did that with God of War but just called 2018 “GOW” instead of “GoW”.

The MK thing shouldn’t be too bad. No one talks or cares about og MK similar to the first SF. It also didn’t have/never needed to have a 1 in the title back then. Maybe they could’ve pulled a Resident Evil and called it “0” instead since Lui Kang kinda reset things.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
It’s weird though. Why would only the 2013 reboot not capitalize the m? It’s like if they did that with God of War but just called 2018 “GOW” instead of “GoW”.

The MK thing shouldn’t be too bad. No one talks or cares about og MK similar to the first SF. It also didn’t have/never needed to have a 1 in the title back then. Maybe they could’ve pulled a Resident Evil and called it “0” instead since Lui Kang kinda reset things.
Because the remake was dmc 1 again but they knew everyone would confuse it for the original if they didn't change the C. In fact it was dmc:dmc which was hilariously dumb.

MK is so removed and I doubt anyone even thinks of the original game any longer, even the retro fans are more likely to just play 2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It’s weird though. Why would only the 2013 reboot not capitalize the m?
Because Capcom couldn't make up their God damn minds and are morons! At one point the 2013 game was supposed to be a reboot, remake, and then an "alternate universe retelling". It's pretty clear it's supposed to be a reboot though.

It’s like if they did that with God of War but just called 2018 “GOW” instead of “GoW”.
Speaking of which, before Gears of War, if someone was mentioning God of War in a conversation or abbreviating it. It would be done either as GoW or GOW. Then as soon as Gears of War came out, you had to abbreviate it as GOW, to differentiate it from God of War when on a forum or typing an article.

The MK thing shouldn’t be too bad. No one talks or cares about og MK similar to the first SF.
That depends on who you're talking to. It still doesn't solve the issue, of when you say Mortal Kombat or MK1, you're still going to have to ask which one. The original arcade game? The 1995 movie? Mortal Kombat (2011)? Which is just MK9! Or are we talking about Mortal Kombat 1 (2023)? Did you see how confusing that gets?! Especially when you are not online and just having a casual conversation with the regular average Joe who don't follow video games that deep.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Speaking of which, before Gears of War, if someone was mentioning God of War in a conversation or abbreviating it. It would be done either as GoW or GOW. Then as soon as Gears of War came out, you had to abbreviate it as GOW, to differentiate it from God of War when on a forum or typing an article.
PoE, or Path of Exile, not to be confused with Pillars of Eternity, a very different PoE. Also make sure you identify if you're discussing Plains of Eidolon, a Warframe expansion. With the amount of overlap/migration of player, you may also need to specify you don't mean Prison of Elders, a Destiny (at one point) Endgame activity.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Didn't people just call it "Gears" to avoid the GoW thing? It's not like just because a game is called Grannies on Wartanks we have to come up with different ways to abbreviate things. GoW is still GoW unless you're talking about the other GoW, then that one is just Gow, or the other one that's goW.

Seriously, it's all about the context usually. If we were talking about brawlers then GoW defaults to the God game because the other one would make no sense. Same thing is we was talking about CoD, you'd immediately understand which game I meant by GoW because the other one doesn't make sense in that comparison. The context around the abbreviation is what makes it make sense. Otherwise you're just rambling.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Kotaku he another article today. This time ranking the best and worst things about every final fantasy game. Guess what they put for 16?

1687469274533.png

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I had no idea this was even coming out until like a week ago when a trailer for it played at my screening of Across the Spider-verse. Then I happened to catch a clip of Asmongold reacting to a scene in the very opening, and it piqued my interest. So I checked the demo out at my friend's recommendation. All in all this seems like a very interesting game, and the replies and reviews here are quite reassuring. Final Fantasy has never been this mature, and for once I can use that word in a positive way. It feels refreshing and different: Final Fantasy has never been this dark, sexual or bloody. Especially the opening scene where Hugo and the chick almost start going at it in the corridor. For once I get the feeling that people in a FF game actually fuck, and not just in the Tidus and Yuna way of lovey-dovey cut to black with zero nudity. There's no sight of Moogles or Viera, no ridiculous haircuts, no confusing futurist fantasy aesthetics, and no swords the size of motorbikes. And mother Mary of Christ, a protagonist who's not a broody teenager? And not in their early 20s either? What is this madness???

But man, that demo was some major ass cheeks! Took about 2 hours, and I could swear at least 60% of that was just cutscenes. I get the Game of Thrones influence, but based off this demo alone it feels they were so inspired by GoT that they forgot they weren't a TV show. Like, it's all well written and acted, there's some interesting dynamics and politics at play and the characters seem cool, but holy shit could they have truncated it and then some. The gameplay fared honestly no better, because it's so incredibly basic with very sparse mechanics, the bosses felt insanely damage spongey, and the cinematic staggers felt like the devs realized they made the fights really fucking boring, so they gave out some instances of free damage. But apparently the combat system evolves from that.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Didn't people just call it "Gears" to avoid the GoW thing? It's not like just because a game is called Grannies on Wartanks we have to come up with different ways to abbreviate things. GoW is still GoW unless you're talking about the other GoW, then that one is just Gow, or the other one that's goW.

Seriously, it's all about the context usually. If we were talking about brawlers then GoW defaults to the God game because the other one would make no sense. Same thing is we was talking about CoD, you'd immediately understand which game I meant by GoW because the other one doesn't make sense in that comparison. The context around the abbreviation is what makes it make sense. Otherwise you're just rambling.
Could be worse. Could be AC, which might, depending on context, stand for Assassin's Creed, Animal Crossing, Ace Combat, Armored Core and probably some other things I forgot about.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I had no idea this was even coming out until like a week ago when a trailer for it played at my screening of Across the Spider-verse. Then I happened to catch a clip of Asmongold reacting to a scene in the very opening, and it piqued my interest. So I checked the demo out at my friend's recommendation. All in all this seems like a very interesting game, and the replies and reviews here are quite reassuring. Final Fantasy has never been this mature, and for once I can use that word in a positive way. It feels refreshing and different: Final Fantasy has never been this dark, sexual or bloody. Especially the opening scene where Hugo and the chick almost start going at it in the corridor. For once I get the feeling that people in a FF game actually fuck, and not just in the Tidus and Yuna way of lovey-dovey cut to black with zero nudity. There's no sight of Moogles or Viera, no ridiculous haircuts, no confusing futurist fantasy aesthetics, and no swords the size of motorbikes. And mother Mary of Christ, a protagonist who's not a broody teenager? And not in their early 20s either? What is this madness???

But man, that demo was some major ass cheeks! Took about 2 hours, and I could swear at least 60% of that was just cutscenes. I get the Game of Thrones influence, but based off this demo alone it feels they were so inspired by GoT that they forgot they weren't a TV show. Like, it's all well written and acted, there's some interesting dynamics and politics at play and the characters seem cool, but holy shit could they have truncated it and then some. The gameplay fared honestly no better, because it's so incredibly basic with very sparse mechanics, the bosses felt insanely damage spongey, and the cinematic staggers felt like the devs realized they made the fights really fucking boring, so they gave out some instances of free damage. But apparently the combat system evolves from that.
I saw a moogle but it was in a background somewhere, not that central to the plot. This time the cuteness is instead delivered in the form of a puppy. And Clive is extremely broody, especially in the point I stopped at right now lol.

From what this sounds like, since I didn't play it out of fear of this exact thing, the demo was mainly the flashback sequence, which is mainly exposition and like, one tutorial mission. You're really not supposed to stop after playing it, you're supposed to keep playing for like another 2 hours at least to get some resolution from all the events.

And yeah the tutorial mission is the game holding your hand (you have your two bros with you after all) to not scare away people who legit have not played an action game ever before in their entire life. It's like the very first stage in a DMC game, you barely have any moves or skills or abilities. Once you unlock and fully upgrade each skill and ability it opens up a ton.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Got the game and been playing. Maybe I'm like a quarter of the way through or so.
I am lucky that its release is exactly timed with when I have a few days to myself and crap weather therefore no desire to go outside.

So far my impression of the game is exactly what is promised but like... to an extreme degree, for better and worse.
For better means that the looks, story, and most important just the general epic spectacle of the whole thing (hence the fortune of having the house to myself so I get to blast the speakers with the awesome music and battle sounds).

If you are sick of open world sprawl and games that try to do too much, then you may like this game because it only does two things: combat and cut scenes. So I think it's actually maybe too far the other extreme for a major game like this.

Main quests are walking from combat arena to combat arena and cut scenes. Side quests are absolute garbage- fetch quests with boring NPCs and poorly paced dialogue.

Combat is fine. It's.. fine. I dunno. I like it, but it can get tedious at times. There are abilities and magic and whatever but I been spamming attack and dodging when I need to and that pretty much takes care of business. What makes it fun is how it's all presented, especially boss fights.

It is getting glowing reviews but I think after a bit of the new glow, there will be fierce backlash to this game for being impressive at first and having some cool elements but being extremely shallow as an actual game. It is the next God of War: Ragnarok- the big shiny thing that gamrs and critics will shit on to sound smart while also making some fair points.

I am enjoying the hell out of it, though, because I'm a simple man and I do like spectacle.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Alright I'm about 6 hours into the game at this point and I have some thoughts.

First off I wanna say that this is a great action game, but unfortunately it's a terrible Final Fantasy game. At least in the form of what a normal Final Fantasy game would have. This is the first Final Fantasy game that follows a single dude, and doesn't feature any party members whatsoever and that feels bad to me. Like I expected companions at some point but everyone who joins you is mostly along for the ride and isn't controllable or all that useful in combat. You do get your dog who controls like an extension of you.

Admittedly I knew this was going to be the case and I thought it wouldn't matter to me but it has left me feeling strange based on expectations of what a FF game is.

While the dark tone is very cool and it's great to see a mature game in the series, it's too dark. Even the darkest FF games have a sense of humor or light-heartedness about them and while it might be a bit jarring for some people it's part of this series and I love it. There are no mini games, no card games, nothing odd for Clive to be doing to help take the mind off the seriousness of the events around you. In a way it's fine, the tone is consistant so you're never pulled out of the experience. But it does mean that there is a lack of extras.

Speaking of lacking. It feels like they are leaning WAY too hard into being a DMC game, and not enough into being an RPG. There are no elemental weaknesses or resists on enemies, which means you choice of loadout doesn't matter to the situation and only matters to what you as a player enjoy. While that's fine in a way, it removes any reason to think about what might be coming up or even reduces the reasoning for expiramenting with new abilities once you have a loadout you like. One kit is as good as any other in every situation which means none of the abilities matter.

Top that off with the fact that gear also doesn't matter, everything is so basic. You'll equip accessories that make the abilities of your loadout slightly better, and equip Clive with the best upgrades you have available, which are ultimately very small increases. Each new weapon or armor gave single digit increases to attack or defense and because enemies get harder and spongier as you go along you never feel like the gear is doing anything but keeping you on the same level as everything around you. Which in an action game is fine, but feels bad in an RPG.

The combat is cool, the story is cool, but it all comes together and feels like DMC with a fantasy coat of paint on it. It doesn't play like FF, nor does it feel like FF. So instead you just have this weird game with a mainline FF number on it.

All that being said, it's a good game for what it is. I don't want to take away from what's been done here on a fundamental level. The characters are likable, the story is good, the combat is good. My problem is that it's such a shell of an RPG experience that in the chase to evolve the series, they've evolved beyond being a Final Fantasy game.

Which disappoints me on a core level, however I still think this game is worthy of GOTY simply because what is here is a great action game with a great story. So for that it's ahead of every other game that's come out this year so far.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The combat is cool, the story is cool, but it all comes together and feels like DMC with a fantasy coat of paint on it. It doesn't play like FF, nor does it feel like FF. So instead you just have this weird game with a mainline FF number on it.
U wot m8

Didn't you throw tomatoes at me for saying (basically) the same thing?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
U wot m8

Didn't you throw tomatoes at me for saying (basically) the same thing?
I'm sorry, you were right.

But in fairness to my replies. I only had Demo experience and the Demo was great and seemed to maintain the on-brandedness of FF games past. I gave it too much benefit for the doubt.

please forgive me

Reactions: Silvanus

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry, you were right.

But in fairness to my replies. I only had Demo experience and the Demo was great and seemed to maintain the on-brandedness of FF games past. I gave it too much benefit for the doubt.

please forgive me
No worries fam. And to be honest I was making a bit of a snap judgement based on trailers.

On a side note: only have Lahabrea to go in my FF14 base game run... might go into Heavensward if I'm likely to be able to beat it before the trial expires.

Then it'll just be 2, 11, and (now) 16 to go!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Speaking of lacking. It feels like they are leaning WAY too hard into being a DMC game, and not enough into being an RPG.
I and most action junkies can live with that.

There are no elemental weaknesses or resists on enemies, which means you choice of loadout doesn't matter to the situation and only matters to what you as a player enjoy. While that's fine in a way, it removes any reason to think about what might be coming up or even reduces the reasoning for expiramenting with new abilities once you have a loadout you like. One kit is as good as any other in every situation which means none of the abilities matter.
I wouldn't go that far. For what I'm seeing, there's some great stuff you will have been experimenting with or tool kits.

XV & XIII fit that the most for me. Both of them don't feel like mainline FF games. XV was supposed to be an expansion of XIII anyway, so it rings extra true.

Which disappoints me on a core level, however I still think this game is worthy of GOTY simply because what is here is a great action game with a great story. So for that it's ahead of every other game that's come out this year so far.
I appreciate the honesty and praises, but this year ain't over yet. Besides, HF Rush and RE4R says high. Alan Wake II is already a contender as well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No worries fam. And to be honest I was making a bit of a snap judgement based on trailers.

On a side note: only have Lahabrea to go in my FF14 base game run... might go into Heavensward if I'm likely to be able to beat it before the trial expires.

Then it'll just be 2, 11, and (now) 16 to go!
The ff14 trial doesn't expire. You can play the base and expansion forever if you want.

Reactions: Silvanus