For those been in a few fights or martial artists-

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Almost got in a fight once, but my first - self defence - punch, landed quite hard on his eye, after which the fight was not continued.

I despise fights. Would probably do very bad in one, too.

benjtfell

Apr 2, 2009
Thing to remember is that your probably gonna forget what to do in a fight so the thing my BJJ teacher taught me is a kick to the balls usually does it and if it doesn't throwing them on the ground and beating the shit out of them does.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Wait a minute, there's a thought...Instead of trying to fight a windmilling idiot who may be drunk, why shouldn't you just run away? Unless you have to protect someone else, there should be no reason to engage. Decent martial artist should know better than to engage in pointless acts of bravado, when other options can be seriously considered. Even with my limited understanding of martial arts, I know that practitioners will practise how to disengage from a fight. Especially so if the opponent produces a weapon.

My brother (a Ju-Jitsu practitioner) suggests the basic technique to disengage involves you stepping back quickly (keeping your eye on the assailent) and then basically turning and running once you have a few yards between you and the adversary.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
BlakBladz said:
Im a studying martial artist (4 years now) and ive been in more then my fair share of fights, but my question is, how do you defeat the helicopter fighters-the psychos, the ones that are angry nd dont have anything to lose. They swing nd swing more often then not with a weapon.
How do you overcome these people without waiting for them to tire out?

Please dont say something along the lines of "avoid all fights" or "use a gun" or anything to that equivalent.

From A (meaning 1) past experience i was badly hit though i was extremely lucky nd got a punch in that knocked him out.
... From what my Tak kwon do teacher told me, you have to be faster then them and just as more brutal.

My best advice, watch for the weakest part of their attack - if they are using their fists, go for their legs and keep damaging their legs. The goal is to weaken them so they have to be distracted from the pain and in response be slower with the punches.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Depends on the size of the person, and obviously avoiding fights would be the first choice. Seems to me that if a long series of rapid strikes is a problem for you to deal with, and your similar size, make a situation where neither of you can strike properly, and bring it back to a contest of skill (Where there drunken idiotness eliminates skill to a degree). Muay Thai clinch would be great against someone who is not much larger then you, and knees do some serious damage. If there larger, fight dirty. Understand, this is theory since I'm not particularly trained, but it makes sense that if striking is at their advantage, remove that advantage.

rathorn14

Jan 21, 2010
BlakBladz said:
Im a studying martial artist (4 years now) and ive been in more then my fair share of fights, but my question is, how do you defeat the helicopter fighters-the psychos, the ones that are angry nd dont have anything to lose. They swing nd swing more often then not with a weapon.
How do you overcome these people without waiting for them to tire out?

Please dont say something along the lines of "avoid all fights" or "use a gun" or anything to that equivalent.

From A (meaning 1) past experience i was badly hit though i was extremely lucky nd got a punch in that knocked him out.
The best course of action is to avoid a fight by whatever means available, whether it be talking to the aggressor or intimidation.
Once i faced down a "helicopter" type kid with an aluminum bat with nothing more than a little pocket knife in my hand and a crazy look in my eye. The only reason I took that approach was because I knew I had other options available to me if things turned sour: I knew I could out run him.
Running away from a dangerous opponent is a lot smarter than trying to be a badass by taking him out. Just play it smart, that's the best defense against any situation.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Let me apologize in advance for my serious answer.

Sometimes you have to take a hit, but make it worth it, punch them hard in the neck, if it works correctly they will be open and then break their nose. If you break their nose, you WILL have won the fight, as it is physically impossible to continue fighting with a broken nose, after that, it should be easy to take them down.

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
Having done martial arts for more than a a decade and a half,and the best technique is usually to run. Try not to get into fights where you have nothing to gain and a lot to lose.

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
Eliam_Dar said:
I was trained in Full Contact for 7 years, kick boxing for 4 years, Kung Fu Wai Kung Pai 3 years, WT 1 year, Judo 4 years, Box 2. On 2003 I had an accident that practiaclly ruined my efforts, but I still have the knowledge (some idiot tried to rob me a week ago)

Remember a few basics in self defense
1. Your life is precious protect it by any means neccesary
2. Weak points. Even the stronger opponent has them, the most direct ones are on a line from the throat to the genitals. Easier to find are throat, chest just below the esternon, and genitals.
3. Knees, a proper kick applied on a kneee will lower any oponent.
4. Do not oppose force if you are not stronger, if you are grabbed and pushed, pull from his arm, if you are pulled push him
5. Balance, always keeps yours, make your opponent loose his, it is easier than you think, non experience figthers tend to move in a straight line towards you to attak, dodge to the sides, same principle can be applied if grabbed.
6. If attacked by more than one opponent, keep moving so they cannot attack you from different angles at the same time. Putting a wall on your back is not a good option (despite what movies say) it cuts any retreat chance you may have.
7. Normally a robbery starts with someone grabbing you. do not hesitate and hit first.

GOLDEN RULES

1. YOU ARE NOT FASTER THAN A BULLET DO NOT ENGAGE AN OPPONENT ARMED WITH A FIRE ARM UNLESS YOU HAVE NO CHOICE
2. IF IN DOUBT HIT HIS KNEE
Been training for some years in shotokan karate, kickboxing, kobudo bojutsu, ju-jitsu and kenjutsu. Not as experienced as this guy but I'm pretty sure it's damn good advice.

Also, a good punch in the jaw can disorient, knock out or even kill your opponent.

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
Fucking run! There's no point in fighting someone like that. Even if you win, they'll just go sick at someone else later

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Kind of depends on what they leave open.

A kick or sweep to the back of the knee can take them down at least to one knee if they aren't a trained fighter; if they're really attacking wildly, it may cause them to fall right on their face. If they have some training, though, they may roll out of such an attack.

A blow to the solar plexus- just below the rib cage- hits lots of nerve centers and can easily knock the wind out of someone who's fighting "wild", leaving them open to further attacks (and possibly making them less compelled to fight at all.)

If they're thrashing about, and you can catch their wrist, you can pretty much control their whole arm applying pressure to the bone just beneath the pad of their thumb. If the fight is serious, you can then hyperextend their elbow the wrong direction.

Eyes, nose, throat, ears- have been mentioned. Only for a really serious fight, though- very easy to do permanent damage or even kill someone.

Kneecap, side of the knee- same. If you typically wear something like steel-toed boots, a snap kick to the kneecap would probably take out most people who weren't on serious drugs.

All jokes aside, avoid the groin. If someone is really surging on adrenalin, they may not notice they've been hit in the groin for several seconds. You need to incapacitate, and pain alone may not do that- you need to immobilize, bend unexpectedly, or damage a limb, take away their breath, or stun them.

Usual disclaimer- this is not for showing off on the playground, kiddies. It's not good to hurt someone unless you really, really have to. When in doubt, run away, give them your wallet- whatever it takes to not get into a potenially lethal fight, do it.

Rahnzan

Oct 13, 2008
Run from a knife, run toward a gun (with the intention of disarming).

Otherwise takedowns. If you sit there punching and kicking til he's black and blue in the face chances are he'll be the one beating your head in with a bar stool when your heart gives out.

So takedowns. Learn some arm locks and pins and throw people to the floor. Not being able to move and looking right pathethic stuck on the ground might do it but if they're out for blood you can immediately turn an arm lock into an arm break.

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
[quote="TheMatt" post="18.171313.4716841
How DARE YOU compare Capt. America to a normal human being... don't be silly...[/quote]

haha, +10 internets for you, sir :p

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
i still don´t know. i got threatened by a coked up guy with a knife. i had my skateboard and thought about bashing him in the face but i also used it as a shield so i feared he´d stab me should i raise it. a friend of mine who practised wing tsun and other martial arts for a long time told me there´s not much you can do about a knife. i still regret that the guy didn´t get hit by me, although my focus at the time was more not to get stabbed by him. the police got him but unfortunately, he got rid of the knife so for the law it´s as if all that never happened and he´s still running around the area. if i see him again he´ll get a preemptive strike. it´s personal this time.