Gabe Newell: Three "Big Announcements" From Valve in Next Year

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
"I can guarantee you people are going to be surprised at stuff we do," he said. "That isn't going to stop any time soon. I'm just laughing because ... people will be shocked again."
This sounds much more sinister if you presume it's say... 2 new games and a sequel to one of their games and NOT HL:EP3. So he's just thinking about all of the internet buzzing about new HL game coming out and just laughing his ass off.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
My guesses would be the much rumoured DotA project, the much rumoured Steam for Linux and a formal announcement of Half Life 3's existance.

ZakCanard

Anas Charisma
Oct 17, 2007
1. Black Mesa Source released on Steam for free with Portal 2
2. E3 2011 announcement for a new game engine, lets call it Source2 for the timebeing
3. Steam on Linux and Android

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
DominicxD said:
So they actually can count to 3?
Good one Broof, Ha!

I'm hoping for a Source 2 or, I dunno, BrnzSrc? SlvrSrc? Seriously, why would you go from GoldSrc to Source?

Anyways, the main reason I gripe about an engine update isn't because it's old, or the physics aren't good (because they are good and I don't care for age), but because of the MOTHERFUCKING SPLASH SPRITE.

It's the single most immersion-breaking thing since the entire game crashing, and it completely ruined the Portal 2 trailer for me. Honestly, it might seem small, but watch the Portal 2 trailer another time (or for the first time if you haven't already), and look for it when the panels fall.

Honestly, Morrowind did splashes better than Source, and Morrowind didn't even have splashes.

ZakCanard said:
1. Black Mesa Source released on Steam for free with Portal 2
2. E3 2011 announcement for a new game engine, lets call it Source2 for the timebeing
3. Steam on Linux and Android
Black Mesa: Source is a third-party mod, Valve aren't making it. If anything, it'll be the one that's a free side-game. It might come with Portal 2 if you order it on a certain weekend, something like that.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
K well I've said it before and I'll say it again.
I respect Valve, they hit the mark very consistently which is, honestly, a herculean task in comparison to their peers.
That said, if they do not make the next Half life sometime before the next decade comes, then a sea of geeks will descend upon their offices zombie horde like and rip them to shreds looking for Gordon Freeman.
Seriously, mark my words, there is a geekapocalypse boiling out there.
I have a friend that is nigh obsessed with this and I think he would tackle Gabe and strangle him for info.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
1. Source 2! is to be used within 3 years.
2. Team Fortress 2 Hat Store on Steam.
3. Left 4 Dead 2 DLC allows old characters to be used, and for every map, too. Yay for Zoey.
As you can see, we have an action-packed year to look forward to, having eliminated Source, Idling and no Zoey in one fell swoop.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
"We have three pretty big surprises in the next 12 months at least,"

Don't forget people: That's twelfe months IN VALVE-TIME!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I'm gonna call Source 2, a major Steam update, and a release date on the next part of the Half-Life franchise (whatever it may be.)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I think we're due a new Counter Strike. The other two will probably be something entirely unrelated to all of our speculation, like 'Portal was too short' or... 'We're updating Steam so it doesn't lag when you click on things'.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
felixader said:
"We have three pretty big surprises in the next 12 months at least,"

Don't forget people: That's twelfe months IN VALVE-TIME!
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
Where 6 months equals a minimum of 16 months.
Problem is he added AT LEAST to the end of the sentence. :p

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I actually do not hope that there will be a new team fortress, cause i am still madly in love with TF2, and that after playing it 950 hours..

So my guess is that two of the suprises are "meet the medic and meet the pyro" movies :p

That would be good enough for me..

And maybe L4D3..

Whatever it is.. I know it will be good..