Game Articles and Videos Thread

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada

A lot of what John Garvin says on here comes off as arrogant in my opinion. However him mentioning people waiting to it to go on PlayStation plus instead of buying a game full price makes me wonder if Sony has to pay the company a set amount to put their game on plus or how that sort of thing works.

Reactions: BrawlMan

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013

A lot of what John Garvin says on here comes off as arrogant in my opinion. However him mentioning people waiting to it to go on PlayStation plus instead of buying a game full price makes me wonder if Sony has to pay the company a set amount to put their game on plus or how that sort of thing works.
Garvin is right even if from a consumer perspective it is better to wait for a better value proposition. The initial launch period is really what makes or breaks a game(atleast it's financial success). Launch sales and metacritic scores really seem to determine which game will get a sequel. Most games on Plus seem tied to some exclusive contract Sony has with the publisher so most likely some fee is involved. Particularly b/c you also can't play the game when your subscription expires.

One issue I have with subscription services like Gamepass which doesn't rely on launch sales at all; why would any developer invest many years and millions of dollars on a single game if it just ends up on a platform which people pay a monthly fee for already regardless of which games are on it? They will simply be content providers for a service that doesn't depend on the success of a single game. It kind of reminds me of netflix. In the beginning it was awesome because you had all these old and newer movies in a single place but then it exploded in popularity and people obviously want more content b/c they pay their monthly fee so eventually you end up with a literal trash heap of low effort movies and TV shows.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Garvin is right even if from a consumer perspective it is better to wait for a better value proposition. The initial launch period is really what makes or breaks a game(atleast it's financial success). Launch sales and metacritic scores really seem to determine which game will get a sequel. Most games on Plus seem tied to some exclusive contract Sony has with the publisher so most likely some fee is involved. Particularly b/c you also can't play the game when your subscription expires.

One issue I have with subscription services like Gamepass which doesn't rely on launch sales at all; why would any developer invest many years and millions of dollars on a single game if it just ends up on a platform which people pay a monthly fee for already regardless of which games are on it? They will simply be content providers for a service that doesn't depend on the success of a single game. It kind of reminds me of netflix. In the beginning it was awesome because you had all these old and newer movies in a single place but then it exploded in popularity and people obviously want more content b/c they pay their monthly fee so eventually you end up with a literal trash heap of low effort movies and TV shows.
Yeah I was exactly wondering if Netflix kinda works the same way? In either case, I’d suppose the content provider needs really deep pockets for there to be any incentive. Even more so in Microsoft’s case as they’re offering brand new games.

I mean, developers are still businesses and we already know how they generally feel about paying higher taxes, so one can only imagine how they’d feel about stunted revenue streams on top of that.

Reactions: stroopwafel

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Yeah I was exactly wondering if Netflix kinda works the same way? In either case, I’d suppose the content provider needs really deep pockets for there to be any incentive. Even more so in Microsoft’s case as they’re offering brand new games.

I mean, developers are still businesses and we already know how they generally feel about paying higher taxes, so one can only imagine how they’d feel about stunted revenue streams on top of that.
Yep, deep pockets or some lucrative licensing deal. Which basically makes them no more than Gamepass content providers. It's the reason why M$ is buying all these studios.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

The counter arguement of course is:

"If you want me to me buy it at launch for $60-70, Make a really good game that I WANT to buy at launch".

Because John, Biker dude vs. Zombies isn't what I consider a Full price game. I MIGHT consider it at $20 if I was really bored and had nothing else to play.

And then you have UBISOFT pulling shit like releasing a game(AC: Valhalla), adding MTX after the launch/review window and then adding QoL features(again, post launch) from previous games but now it cost in-game money for no discernible reason(The Transmog system). It's shit like that which erodes trust in buying AAA titles at launch for the industry.

Look, I get the launch window is the most profitable for the dev, but at the same time, when devs find every fucking way to nickel and dime the customer for broken and incomplete releases, it's hard to even contemplate a launch buy unless one as incredible faith or something like that. Especially when I know theres gonna be DLC for the next 2-3 years, a bunch of bug fixes and a GOTY edition once all the DLC are out, at which point I'll be getting the base game(and presumably a better tuned/less buggy version) with all the extras(DLC should be extra, not part of the main story chopped out for late seperate sale) for at most the same price I would have paid at launch. So I have to ask....why pay the most just to play the most incomplete version early?

Capitalism works both ways, buddy.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

We called that maneuver blaming the target audience. I kind of get where he's coming from, but not everybody has the price to pay $60 on something. That's why I don't bother with those big triple A games to begin with. I buy something I know I'm going to play.

Reactions: Sora383

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A blast from the past I haven’t seen before -

Kinda funny and sad to read now.
Kind of crazy that most AAA publishers didn't follow any of that or make things worse down the line. I used to like Cracked, but I stopped reading them around 2010-2011. They got really far up their own ass, and the articles just weren't funny by that point.

Last edited:

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Country
Canada
We called that maneuver blaming the target audience. I kind of get where he's coming from, but not everybody has the price to pay $60 on something. That's why I don't bother with those big triple A games to begin with. I buy something I know I'm going to play.
Honestly I think my main issue was his wording in general, he makes a point that is valid (if a product doesn’t make money said product won’t be made anymore). But the way he states that just comes off as arrogant.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

My question is, how does someone go from directing Lost Legacy (right up there with 2 as the best Uncharted game IMO) to the bloody Avengers game. I’ll just chalk it up as mostly involving bad external influences from the suits.

Also,

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

My question is, how does someone go from directing Lost Legacy (right up there with 2 as the best Uncharted game IMO) to the boody Avengers game. I’ll just chalk it up as mostly involving bad external influences from the suits.

Also,
They had the combat designer of God of War 4 work on Avengers, so you tell me.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know some of this is out of date now, but it's still needs posting. It's a 3 hour podcast.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Re: the Day's Gone stuff and seeing how people on social media who haven't played it still say it's awful and bad "toxic masculinity" etc etc etc.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
How do people even jump to that conclusion?! I don't care much for the game, but even I know that is not true.
Literally because of the scene with Sarah riding on the bike (note in Elijah's article) and because it's part of a biker gang.

There was also the review that included bits about how the game is "racist" because the infected are all white, but there was a narrative explanation for that in that the infection caused everyone to go albino.

Weird amount of bad press for this game over things that weren't there or explained in the game itself.

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Country
Canada
Weird amount of bad press for this game over things that weren't there or explained in the game itself.
This may have been in the article and I just missed it, but I wonder if part of the bad press came from it being one of the more recognized big games coming out that year and it being exclusive to PlayStation (until this year) kind of set it up to be on the chopping block for some people.