Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
The 3rd episode felt like a mediocre but well-produced zombie-movie. I liked the presentation, I felt suspense and terror through most of the episode... hopefully it's what they were going for. There were some silly moments in between, especially at the end, where you'd see the main characters of the show flailing around. It's apparent to most viewers, and to myself, that the show's creators have chosen to reduce its scope, its characters and its writing down to wishful fanfiction. I don't mind it that much, I've come to terms with it after the fifth season. This feels a little like FMA, and I hope there would be a FMA:B some day to remake the second half of this series into something closer to the source material. That said, there isn't really any source material, so I could be very wrong and that what has happened in the show would actually happen in what George publishes...

Who knows, eh? Time will tell. It was still a nice episode with a zombie-movie twist on top. A little over-hyped.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Eacaraxe said:
And thus, as befitting the authorship of someone who was captivated by Beowulf to say the least, the Rohirrim are a society that embodies without reservation the Heroic Code found within the epic's telling. In other words, death cult.
Well, not quite, because "death cult" is a pretty massive value judgement. And I didn't see anything textual to suggest Tolkien was making the same one. He seemed to play the "heroic code" archetype pretty damn straight with the Rohirrim.

Apr 5, 2008
On Episode 3:

Why was it so bloody dark the whole time?
Why did the Dothraki charge by themselves first, instead of letting artillery go first? What happened to Ghost (he was right there in the charge, completely forgotten thereafter)?
Why was the army standing IN FRONT of the defences?
WTF was Bran doing the whole time he was warging?
Why did Theon charge the NK by himself? Was he a total moron?
How did Jorah teleport to Dany through an army of wights?
Was the entire Azor Ahai prophecy pointless/smoke and mirrors?
Why did an 11 year old girl think she was a battlefield commander and warrior? How was a dying 11 year old girl strong enough to kill a giant? WhoTF made a suit of platemail in child-size?
WTF was the whole library sequence about? I genuinely have no idea why that scene was there.
WTF were Clegane & Melisandre doing from after Arya runs off to the end? What was Davos doing the whole time?
How did no one with a name-tag die in the crypts?
How did Brienne, Jamie and Tormund survive unscathed against such ludicrous numbers?
WhyTF did Jon think he could beat an undead dragon by shouting at it?
What did Arya jump off in an empty clearing? Wasn't her stealth abilities focused around wearing other faces to become someone else?

So many bizarre decisions, bad directing meant the battle was hard to see and follow, characters teleporting all over the place with no sense of time or place. The battle plans were silly, I don't believe the episode did justice to a thousands-year-old threat built up from the very first scene of the pilot.

The writers, in name of drama, turned so many people into idiots. The entire Dothraki, Jon, Theon, Dany, Lyanna Mormont, all turned into idiots. So many WTFs. D&D just aren't up to GRRM's standard of writing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
KingsGambit said:
On Episode 3:

Why did the Dothraki charge by themselves first, instead of letting artillery go first? What happened to Ghost (he was right there in the charge, completely forgotten thereafter)?
Why did an 11 year old girl think she was a battlefield commander and warrior? How was a dying 11 year old girl strong enough to kill a giant? WhoTF made a suit of platemail in child-size?
WTF was the whole library sequence about? I genuinely have no idea why that scene was there.
WTF were Clegane & Melisandre doing from after Arya runs off to the end? What was Davos doing the whole time?
How did Brienne, Jamie and Tormund survive unscathed against such ludicrous numbers?
What did Arya jump off in an empty clearing? Wasn't her stealth abilities focused around wearing other faces to become someone else?

So many bizarre decisions, bad directing meant the battle was hard to see and follow, characters teleporting all over the place with no sense of time or place. The battle plans were silly, I don't believe the episode did justice to a thousands-year-old threat built up from the very first scene of the pilot.

The writers, in name of drama, turned so many people into idiots. The entire Dothraki, Jon, Theon, Dany, Lyanna Mormont, all turned into idiots. So many WTFs. D&D just aren't up to GRRM's standard of writing.
1.Because the Night is Dark and Full of Terrors.

The rest. Fuck if I know.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
KingsGambit said:
Because this is The Long Night. Okay, so it wasn't longer than any other night. Maybe even a little shorter. In fact, that's probably it, they had to fit all the darkness of a regular Long Night into a Short Night, and this is what you get. It's kind of like Miller Lite, tastes great less filling?

Why did the Dothraki charge by themselves first, instead of letting artillery go first?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34cr1HmHHI

What happened to Ghost (he was right there in the charge, completely forgotten thereafter)?
A dire wolf is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. GHOST IS GANDALF CONFIRMED GET HYPE

No, seriously, Ghost isn't Gandalf. Gandalf is actually Magneto, and Magneto is Nightcrawler's father. Nightcrawler can teleport, and so can Ghost. Ergo, Ghost is actually Gandalf's puppy. Have fun with the mental image of Ian McKellen fucking a dog.

They let Jaime plan the defenses.

Watching Endgame.

To experience the pleasure of penetrating something one last time.

He rode Ghost, duh.

No, it was a mistranslation the entire time. What it really said was Azor Hot Pie. What you didn't see was the first wolf-bread he made, he mixed the dough with water, and it wasn't actually very good. The second wolf-bread he made, he made with the blood of a Lannister, and while it wasn't very good it was better. The last pie he served Arya? he killed and butchered his wife, and used her meat for it, thereby granting Ayra the powers of Lightbringer.

That's why you cannot give up on the gravy.

The same person who made Joffrey's Babby's First Platemail, duh.

To make Metal Gear memes, that's why.

WTF were Clegane & Melisandre doing from after Arya runs off to the end?
Preparing for Cleganebowl GET HYPE

What was Davos doing the whole time?
Oh come on, he explained this all the way back in season five. He was shitting.

Name tags don't exist in Westeros, now you're just being silly.

So they can have a threesome later.

He was using Dragonrend to keep Viserion from helping the Night King, okay?

What did Arya jump off in an empty clearing?
Remember when I said Bran was warging to go watch Endgame? I was just kidding. He actually warged into a bunch of ravens, and they picked up and flew Arya by the scruff of the neck and flew her to the Godswood. Kinda like a medieval air strike.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
KingsGambit said:
On Episode 3:

You can't make drama without stupid

I would say that Lyanna killing the giant was as sensible as the episode got. She's literally the only one left, and running is going to do very little. My problem was that dragon glass seem to do nothing to all the other walkers but easily the dusted giant. All the other walkers should have done the same, instead of piling up. Also, just run between his legs and slice at his ankles. That would have killed it.

Also, she's a Lord. Lord wants, Lord gets.

But yes, there was little logic to any of this. How did Arya get past all the other major Walkers? Also, if defeating them was this easy, why haven't they done it before. Arya could have killed him seasons ago

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
trunkage said:
Sure you can. I know Tarantino has said (and probably paraphrased someone else) that the key to good drama is to put people with different outlooks and goals in the same room and getting them to interact.
Steven Spielberg famously told the producers of Jaws, when they objected to the ending, that "I've had the audience eating out of my hand for two hours, they'll believe anything I tell them".

My point is that drama can be stupid, but that either means your plots or characters are inconsistent or that you've failed to convince the audience of the make believe you are selling. Whichever it is, it is a fault with the writing and directing. That so many people are bouncing of The Long Night because it is stupid is not a problem with drama, it is a problem with the writing and directing.

I mean, Luke Skywalker somehow nailing a 3 foot wide exhaust port with a proton torpedo without using his targeting computer because he trusts the Force is pretty stupid on its face. But the movie leading up to that scene manages to sell the idea that the Force does this and that Luke can do it very well, which turns a stupid scene into this hugely gratifying dramatic conclusion. Drama only becomes stupid when the writer and director bungles their job.

Apr 5, 2008
Eacaraxe said:
KingsGambit said:
Because this is The Long Night. Okay, so it wasn't longer than any other night. Maybe even a little shorter. In fact, that's probably it, they had to fit all the darkness of a regular Long Night into a Short Night, and this is what you get. It's kind of like Miller Lite, tastes great less filling?

Why did the Dothraki charge by themselves first, instead of letting artillery go first?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34cr1HmHHI

WTF were Clegane & Melisandre doing from after Arya runs off to the end?
Preparing for Cleganebowl GET HYPE
*somewhere distant, an air horn sounds*

So they can have a threesome later.
Now that it's been imagined, it has to exist. Bow chikka wow wow.

He was using Dragonrend to keep Viserion from helping the Night King, okay?

What did Arya jump off in an empty clearing?
Remember when I said Bran was warging to go watch Endgame? I was just kidding. He actually warged into a bunch of ravens, and they picked up and flew Arya by the scruff of the neck and flew her to the Godswood. Kinda like a medieval air strike.
That's remarkably insightful...were you privvy to inside information? As it happens, I found Dave and Dan's top-secret, leaked battleplan from the production archives:

Thank you for the post, I can't stop laughing.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
http://www.ladbible.com/technology/gaming-total-war-players-not-impressed-with-the-tactics-in-game-of-thrones-20190501

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
trunkage said:
You can't make drama without stupid.
The best drama is never stupid: it's powerful because it's realistic. Although that does mean fantasy and SF often have a little more wiggle room because magic/technology.

Apr 5, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
http://www.ladbible.com/technology/gaming-total-war-players-not-impressed-with-the-tactics-in-game-of-thrones-20190501

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
Hehe, my favourite comment:
Honestly, this battle only served to demonstrate how truly fucked the balance is.

It doesn't matter what my stack contains. I have the best light cav in the whole game, several RoR spearmen units, artillery, two legendary lords on dragons as well as several high level heroes decked out in rare items, but the 100% upkeep reduction on Undead chaff units means they can just bruteforce their way to victory (yeah yeah - they had two monstrous units, big deal).
I want a deleted scene where they go over the battle plans.

"Grey Worm, you and the Unsullied will be stationed in front of the trenches, the spikes and the walls."
"In front? You mean behind, surely?"
"No no, in front. You see we need you defend the trenches with your lives. And don't call me Shirley."
"So you want us to... defend the defences."
"Correct."
"With our lives."
"With your lives."
"Wouldn't it be better if we were *behind* the defences? The archers could use flaming arrows, and the drag..."
"Grey Worm, Grey Worm, Grey Worm, stop asking questions. Who's in charge around here?"
"Errr.....I don't actually know. The only plan we have is from the creepy kid in the wheelchair."
"Exactly. And his plan involves you making sure they don't reach the flaming trenches and hurt anyone with a character arc."
"Okay, fine. They're undisciplined and mindless, we're a trained army. Well use our spears and shields in a phalanx as usual, and..."
"What's that? No no, you'll stand individually and spin your spears around in one on one combat. None of this phalanx business."
"But we're an army of soldiers. We fight as a unit."
"Not today."

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
KingsGambit said:
Hehe, my favourite comment:
I read one comment on Reddit that made a monstrous amount of sense in retrospect, but doesn't necessarily bode well for Dany (or anyone else involved for that matter)...

The gist of it is they know perfectly well the Dothraki were going to be a massive liability in the long run. As long as Dany was associated with them, as Tyrion said back in season 7, she'd never, ever be accepted in Westeros. And, as Sansa said there isn't enough food for them (or grasslands to support their livestock).

So, better to maneuver them into a position where they'll voluntarily commit mass suicide, whereby they can be remembered as martyrs to bolster Dany's reputation. It's unlikely the Dothraki would have been a great asset against the Golden Company, even without elephants, since the running gag with the Dothraki is they're kinda shit at attacking prepared, entrenched, and disciplined forces who aren't going to cower and flee before their reputation.

Sacrificing the Unsullied to protect the Northern bannermen, on the other hand, was just all kinds of exceptional.

Apr 5, 2008
Eacaraxe said:
I read one comment on Reddit that made a monstrous amount of sense in retrospect, but doesn't necessarily bode well for Dany (or anyone else involved for that matter)...

The gist of it is they know perfectly well the Dothraki were going to be a massive liability in the long run. As long as Dany was associated with them, as Tyrion said back in season 7, she'd never, ever be accepted in Westeros. And, as Sansa said there isn't enough food for them (or grasslands to support their livestock).

So, better to maneuver them into a position where they'll voluntarily commit mass suicide, whereby they can be remembered as martyrs to bolster Dany's reputation. It's unlikely the Dothraki would have been a great asset against the Golden Company, even without elephants, since the running gag with the Dothraki is they're kinda shit at attacking prepared, entrenched, and disciplined forces who aren't going to cower and flee before their reputation.

Sacrificing the Unsullied to protect the Northern bannermen, on the other hand, was just all kinds of exceptional.
I mean...maybe? That sounds like it could be legit, even if a bit of a reach. But let's say that it's entirely true, it still requires either a) the writers to bludgeon the script to put everyone where they need to be for the next episode or b) the Dothraki to be so dumb as to raise the question of how they didn't die off generations earlier. I don't believe the Darwin Award can be presented to an entire fictional tribe, but they would be front-runners were they eligible.

But here's the thing...with all the politicking and betrayals, by the time Team Dany arrived in the West, she had the Iron Islands, Dorne and High Garden on her side, while Cersei had only King's Landing and Casterly Rock (Arya took out the Freys at the same time). The Baratheons were all dead and the North was fighting the BotB. Apparently there were only 6 people living in all of Dorne, all of them related to Oberyn Martell, so they're gone along with the Tyrells. Dany took Casterly Rock last I remember.

Since making an alliance with the North (and therefore the Vale), and Euron siding with Cersei....let's see. Cersei has two Kingdoms (Crownlands, Iron Islands), Dany has The North and the Vale (maybe the Wildlings?), and Dorne, Riverlands, Stormlands, Westerlands and The Reach are all defeated. I don't think having the Dothraki floating around will change much, particularly when Cersei herself just hired an Essos mercenary company.

If they died because the writers needed them gone, it's a tragic way to tie up a loose end. In fairness tho, GoT wouldn't be the first show to do such a thing. I wish I understood why they insisted on a 6 episode season, but it is what it is. They chose to film it this way, they opted to put spectacle ahead of drama and making sense. They could've done it so much better. They could have had the battle last much longer, maybe span two episodes, taking a greater toll on the allies. The threats could've escalated and the last shot before the NK's demise would've been the ones of Sam, Brienne, etc being overwhelmed. They're capable of making great battles...the Blackwater, Hardhome, both riveting. This one was a mess and didn't feel gratifying.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Gethsemani said:
trunkage said:
Sure you can. I know Tarantino has said (and probably paraphrased someone else) that the key to good drama is to put people with different outlooks and goals in the same room and getting them to interact.
Steven Spielberg famously told the producers of Jaws, when they objected to the ending, that "I've had the audience eating out of my hand for two hours, they'll believe anything I tell them".

My point is that drama can be stupid, but that either means your plots or characters are inconsistent or that you've failed to convince the audience of the make believe you are selling. Whichever it is, it is a fault with the writing and directing. That so many people are bouncing of The Long Night because it is stupid is not a problem with drama, it is a problem with the writing and directing.

I mean, Luke Skywalker somehow nailing a 3 foot wide exhaust port with a proton torpedo without using his targeting computer because he trusts the Force is pretty stupid on its face. But the movie leading up to that scene manages to sell the idea that the Force does this and that Luke can do it very well, which turns a stupid scene into this hugely gratifying dramatic conclusion. Drama only becomes stupid when the writer and director bungles their job.
My 6 year old self thought that Star Wars sold that. I am no longer 6 and continually point out that Star Wars is poorly written.

Drama requires you to let go of logic and go for the feels. Endgame is only good if you let go of the logic. Because none of it makes sense. 3 guys, by themselves, chasing down a massive shark doesn't make sense.

Reservoir Dogs might fit this description. It deliberately set up why people SHOULDN'T have full knowledge of what's going on. It's the only reason why it works. But Tarantino has elected to go for stupendously evil characters from then on which means you can't understand the bad guys. I'm a Nazi. Automatic evil. I'm a slave owner. Automatic evil. Having opposing ideals is great. Apparently that's why Killmonger was seen as great. But you're committing genocide... I don't care what logic you have. It's not relatable.

Or maybe I should say: I hope it's not relatable for most people

Tarantino cares more about style and cares little about substance. Same with Spielberg

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
trunkage said:
I'm a Nazi. Automatic evil. I'm a slave owner. Automatic evil.
If you're alluding to Hans Landa and Calvin Candie, you're missing the point. No shit they're evil. It's that they're evil in ways that subvert societal perceptions and expectations of evil, and how they navigate societies that justify, permit, or even applaud evil. But most importantly, how perception of evil reflects societal values, especially as demonstrated through catharsis and schadenfreude.

Ever notice how Inglorious Basterds turns the tables on the WWII film genre by depicting Nazis how other genre films depict Allies, while showing the titular Basterds act the same way other films show Nazis acting? Or, let me just throw this one out here...

In Inglorious Basterds, Nazis die and suffer in brutal, over the top, horrific and gory ways...that we typically see of Allied soldiers in works such as Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers. But when Allies die, it's in quick and relatively bloodless ways devoid of suffering that get little screen time or notice...just like how Nazis die in movies like Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers.

But, at the same time, in Inglorious Basterds Nazi deaths are sources of comedic catharsis, while Allied deaths are sources of dramatic tension. In other WWII works, Nazi deaths are sources of dramatic tension, while Allied deaths are also sources of dramatic tension, except in the case of leading characters, in which case they're sources of tragic catharsis. Let me put that together...

Genre films: Allies act like Allies, suffer and die horribly, and maybe we're expected to cry.
Inglorious Basterds: Allies act like Nazis, die anonymously and painlessly, we're not expected to care.
Genre films: Nazis act like Nazis, die anonymously and painlessly, we're not expected to care.
Inglorious Basterds: Nazis act like Allies, suffer and die horribly, but we're expected to laugh.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Eacaraxe said:
If you're alluding to Hans Landa and Calvin Candie, you're missing the point. No shit they're evil. It's that they're evil in ways that subvert societal perceptions and expectations of evil, and how they navigate societies that justify, permit, or even applaud evil. But most importantly, how perception of evil reflects societal values, especially as demonstrated through catharsis and schadenfreude.

Ever notice how Inglorious Basterds turns the tables on the WWII film genre by depicting Nazis how other genre films depict Allies, while showing the titular Basterds act the same way other films show Nazis acting? Or, let me just throw this one out here...
Tarantino makes this abundantly clear in the climax of the movie, when we see the Nazi's watch a film about a heroic German sniper killing hundreds of Americans and cheering every time he gets a kill. On top of that Hans Landa and several other nazis are affable, kind people while the Basterds are all murderous, assholes to a man. Despite that we tend to root for the Basterds, because we know they fight for the side wanting to stop a genocidal regime. Inglorious Basterds certainly has something to say about our perception of evil and cinematic portrayals of it.

trunkage said:
Drama requires you to let go of logic and go for the feels
Some times, yes. Well written drama can still maintain internal consistency and "logic" though. The specific problem of GoT is that it was a show that adapted books full of details and internal logic and mostly stuck to that for the first 3-4 seasons. After that it ditched all of it. It made for a jarring transition for people who came to see a show where travelling Westeros from Winterfell to King's Landing in Seasons 1 took 3 episodes and some characters made similar journeys over the course of 2 seasons. Only for people to somehow make that journey off screen in 10 minutes in Season 7. The problem is not with the drama itself, but with how very poorly written the entire show is to achieve cheap drama.

trunkage said:
But Tarantino has elected to go for stupendously evil characters from then on which means you can't understand the bad guys. I'm a Nazi. Automatic evil. I'm a slave owner. Automatic evil. Having opposing ideals is great. Apparently that's why Killmonger was seen as great. But you're committing genocide... I don't care what logic you have. It's not relatable.

Or maybe I should say: I hope it's not relatable for most people
Relatable is not the same as logic or logical. I mean, I can hardly relate to Hitler, Stalin, Josef Fritszl or Charles Manson yet these are de facto people that have existed. That the antagonist is chaotic evil and runs on a logic alien from my own does not mean that they necessarily lack logic. Take Thanos in Infinity War as an example: his solution is obviously pants on head stupid, but Thanos as an antagonist is not about whether he's right or not, he's an antagonist that's all about believing in his own righteousness and doing anything to establish his will. We are not meant to relate to Thanos, but we are meant to see Thanos as a relatable villain in that we can see that people like Thanos, with really stupid ideas, will go to pretty much any lengths to make those ideas come true.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
trunkage said:
Drama requires you to let go of logic and go for the feels. Endgame is only good if you let go of the logic. Because none of it makes sense. 3 guys, by themselves, chasing down a massive shark doesn't make sense.
Drama that is illogical disrupts immersion and engagement.

It doesn't haven't to be completely watertight, but what is too inconsistent, silly, random etc. yanks the audience out of the experience. Like shit battle scenes in GoT.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Gethsemani said:
Inglorious Basterds certainly has something to say about our perception of evil and cinematic portrayals of it.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I believe Inglorious Basterds at its core is a condemnation of propaganda for its pernicious and oft-hypocritical nature, and wholesale indictment of Hollywood's complicity...that never went away, just became more subtle and pernicious as the film industry matured. Here's the crux of it:

Despite that we tend to root for the Basterds, because we know they fight for the side wanting to stop a genocidal regime.
Aldo "the Apache" Raine is a character so thick with layered commentary, you could say it's nothing short of Kubrickian proportions. Here we have a character who is said to be the descendant of Native Americans and frontiersmen, who habitually snuffs tobacco (America's first real export crop which fueled early economic sustenance and expansion) and is said to be a moonshiner (alcohol being a key weapon in American cultural warfare against Native Americans). He hails from a region that was the site of near-constant warfare between American colonials (and later "just" Americans) and Native-Americans for nearly a century, which was also a key venue for Native displacement throughout that entire time, culminating in the Trail of Tears. Last, of course, he has a lynching scar.

This is the man who commands his troops to dispatch German soldiers with the same ferocity and brutality attributed to Native-Americans, most of said attribution being propaganda to justify and popularize Native-American genocide.

when we see the Nazi's watch a film about a heroic German sniper killing hundreds of Americans and cheering every time he gets a kill.
Parting note, what makes this all the more telling, is Zoller is a call to American utilization of veterans in war bond tours and propaganda films, mingling celebrity and war heroism. See, Charles Kelly, Audie Murphy, and John Basilone just off the top of my head.