Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
There are no leaks on Pirate Bay or free streaming sites, and thus you can safely assume these leaked episodes either don't exist or aren't being shared. And yes I just went to take a look at tpb for info.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
McElroy said:
There are no leaks on Pirate Bay or free streaming sites, and thus you can safely assume these leaked episodes either don't exist or aren't being shared. And yes I just went to take a look at tpb for info.
Yeah, that's because some idiots in Thailand got their hands on the episode and leaked clips online, and were holding the rest of the next episode for people to pay them to release it (the reserve of what happened in season...six?). Then on Facebook, they synopsized the rest of the episode on Facebook and it turned out the only thing anyone would want to watch in the first place, was what they already leaked as proof of having the episode.

So basically they shot the hostage, and tried to hold the corpse ransom. Spoilers ahead and I fucking mean it:

Seriously, I mean it.
Last chance.
Leaked screencaps show oathsex, one of the leaked clips is of Euron 420 YOLO MLG noscoping Rhaegal with a dragon-killer mounted on the Silence, and the other leaked clip is Missandei being beheaded at King's Landing by the Mountain.

The whole leak's on r/freefolk, and they had links to clips as of three or so hours ago which may or may not have already been DMCA'd by HBO. I've been taking a nap, so I can't personally speak to whether they're still up or not.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I just wanna say that my beef with the Battle at Winterfell is I feel they made the Wights naturally too strong. Like I don't know if its established that the Zombies have Super Strength. But I feel the Unsullied Shield Wall/Phalanax could have held the Zombies longer then that.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
I just wanna say that my beef with the Battle at Winterfell is I feel they made the Wights naturally too strong. Like I don't know if its established that the Zombies have Super Strength. But I feel the Unsullied Shield Wall/Phalanax could have held the Zombies longer then that.
Thing is, when a press of bodies is essentially a tidal wave, and the front line does not care for its safety, even a phalanx will be overwhelmed.

That said, they had so long to prepare the battlefield, they should have put multiple trenches leading up to their positions. All they needed to do was dig pits and it would have broken/slowed the horde multiple times. But no, they had to have their massive cavalry charge into the darkness rather than consider a proper defensive position.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
Eh, there's a lot to be angry about regarding the Battle of Winterfell. I think this video neatly shows just how atrociously bad the battleplan is both by showcasing the chain of events and through contrast with their own plan.

Summing it up: the cavalry were entirely wasted. No effort was made to control the enemy's movement until the last stand. The artillery was misplaced, undefended and perplexingly held fire after the first volley. It is only after both the cavalry and artillery get wiped out that the now undefended infantry get involved, and it's only after this that the dragons even get deployed. At this point the overwhelmed infantry has to retreat, and the defensive stakeline forces the retreating defenders into a chokepoint, forcing further casualties. The single fire trench proved almost entirely ineffective and Winterfell confusingly didn't use any of the time it allotted them to actually thin the ranks of the wights. So long story short, the strategies employed by Winterfell ended up working to the advantage of the wights rather than themselves.

In retrospect, I think there's a fair comparison to be made with the Victory Fleet in Mass Effect 3 in that the strategy pretty much boiled down to "fight the enemy on the terms most advantageous to them" rather than...you know, actual strategy.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I have changed my mind again; Danny gonna betray Jon :D

Man...this almost feels like vintage Thrones again with this last episode. People gathering information, scheming against one another, and somebody getting a bolt through the neck out of nowhere. Come on writers, do me proud...

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
There is no way a ballista with that kind of range can be mounted on a vessel without being within line of sight of that which it is attacking - and especially could not be that accurate.

Apr 17, 2009
Becoming increasingly suspicious that the writers don't know how crossbows work. They do realise those things need to be redrawn after you fire once right, you can't just keep shooting away like they're guns with arrows

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Pretty cool episode. Ending felt like an alternative take on snowwhite vs the wicked stepmother.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Samtemdo8 said:
1. Ghost Lives my friends.

2. HOUSE BARATHEON LIVES!!!!
Yeah, but Gendry still needs an heir at some point, and Arya isn't stepping up apparently so...

Also Missandai is MIA.
More like KIA.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Poor Danny, she just isn't made to be a conqueror. Ever since the poor thing left Essos its been one humiliation after the other. She started with Dragonstone, the entire south of Westeros and three dragons. One and a half season later and Danny just has Dragonstone and a single dragon without anything to show for it. Being repeatedly humiliated by Cersei and the wreckage of the Lanisters must sting, especially considering Cersei started out in such a bad state.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Hades said:
Poor Danny, she just isn't made to be a conqueror. Ever since the poor thing left Essos its been one humiliation after the other. She started with Dragonstone, the entire south of Westeros and three dragons. One and a half season later and Danny just has Dragonstone and a single dragon without anything to show for it. Being repeatedly humiliated by Cersei and the wreckage of the Lanisters must sting, especially considering Cersei started out in such a bad state.
She needs to get over her entitlement. She should have stayed in Essos and ruled there, freeing slaves and ensuring it stayed ended. She gives too much a fuck about 'Rightful Heirs' while hypocritically conquering Essos. I really want someone to tell her that 'rightful heirs' is a stupid way of thinking.

(For the record though, she was right in her argument with Jon. I do think Jon needs to learn that sometimes being Ned Start means losing your head for no good reason)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Also Tormund is a mass murderer who slaughtered entire villages, and it was evil of him to do it. Yes he is funny and charming in his own way, but he still is a horrible person. Jaime atleast hasn't forgotten he has done unforgivable things.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Abomination said:
There is no way a ballista with that kind of range can be mounted on a vessel without being within line of sight of that which it is attacking - and especially could not be that accurate.
There are so many things wrong with those ballistas on a fuckin' ship, you could write a book about it. And it still isn't the dumbest fuckin' thing from last night's episode. I can forgive a lot of stupidity in a TV show. But this was too much.