Game of Thrones Final Season Discussion Thread. (SPOILERS ABOUND, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
SupahEwok said:
Chimpzy said:
Maybe they're just butthurt the faction made up of mindless fodder and maybe a dozen ice monsters showed more tactical acumen and general smarts than the cream of the crop of Westeros (or whatever is left of it by this point).
So, Davos and Sam?
Was kind of being sarcastic, but yeah, looking at what the good guys went with, Davos and/or Sam would've probably done as good a job commanding the battle as any of the seasoned veterans.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Gethsemani said:
Also the annoying ten year old Lady Mormont gets crushed by a giant and I was happy that I won't have to see yet another scene with her fucking up the theme of "medieval patriarchy is awful" by being a flagrant middle finger to Martin's actual writing.
Doesn't Martin himself also has a sassy lady leading house Mormont? Its just that his is an old woman and this one is a little girl.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gethsemani said:
Well, about 25 minutes into ep3 me and my wife stopped taking it seriously. By the end we were openly mocking it. There just isn't much that works with this episode, not even on the levels that a GoT episode usually does. The darkness is the obvious culprit, as are the many weird cuts of showing close ups of people running or fighting in the same darkness, so that you never get a chance to see what's happening. The actual plot developments are pretty thin and relegated to pretty much four characters (Melisandre closes her arc, Arya gets yet another thing to do and Sansa and Tyrion are maybe sort of in love, I guess?) but the spectacle is so badly done. The tactics are so obviously moronic that the "it is cinematic" excuse doesn't work, especially not when episode then can't decide how far or near the white walkers are. Some guys try to put torches to the tar-filled moot but white walkers cut them down, so Mel casually walks up while a few Unsullied strike power poses around her and suddenly there are no white walkers between the moot and the wall, instead they are all hundreds of meters away and rushing up (despite having just pushed out the Unsullied from their position forward of the moot) so that Mel can get a tense moment of having to use her magic.

Then the white walkers somehow manages to climb the walls and are in the castle and suddenly there are Schroedinger's zombies everywhere. People fight on the walls, in the courtyards and in the side passages. But Arya is in the library and despite the fight going on outside, the white walkers in the library decide to casually stroll around so that Arya can do her Solid Snake routine. At this point, and I'm not kidding, my wife said "this is a video game" and the sudden shift from battle and massive stakes to "Arya slips around a bunch of book cases" was so jarring that I never felt that the pace of the episode recovered.

Somewhere around here there's a really cool dragon fight scene. I'll give the episode that the shots of the dragons fighting were cool. But then we're back to the ground and Beric dies (I am sure a lot of people didn't see that coming) so Arya and the Hound can run. Mel shows up with them and tells Arya that she's the chosen one and has her set off to kill the Night King. So off Arya runs for 30 minutes. Meanwhile everyone is losing the fight! And then they lose the fight! And then they lose even more! And then they lose even harder. Now, I realize that the scenes around the time NK stands up Johnny to go hang with his step-brother and up to the point NK comes to party with the Raven is probably only between 5 to 10 minutes. I realize this, but since the episode has been showing us how everyone is on the last leg for the last 15 minutes, it just murders the pacing (again) to show us how they are now losing even harder. At this point the show is pretty much vesting all hopes in the music to carry the tension, because the sheer length of time that everything is hanging precariously in the balance is so drawn out that it induces apathy.

Theon decides to be a moron and die because Bran calls him a good guy, in case any viewer out there hasn't understood that Theon's arc was about his realization that he was born a Greyjoy but raised a Stark and that he had betrayed the people he thought of as family. Bran spells it out so that you don't have to think about nuance and Theon dies. Then Arya teleports in, shanks the Night King and BAM! the overarching plot of all of GoT is resolved with a kidney stabbing. Meanwhile, Jon, the guy who has been fighting the NK's goons for the last 6 seasons, gets to shout at NKs pet undead dragon, because it'd be a shame if Jon's arc actually got a satisfactory ending when we can prop up psycho-killer Arya some more. Also the annoying ten year old Lady Mormont gets crushed by a giant and I was happy that I won't have to see yet another scene with her fucking up the theme of "medieval patriarchy is awful" by being a flagrant middle finger to Martin's actual writing.

With that recap over, I've got to say I'm disappointed. I thought that ep 2 was one of the best episodes of the last 3 seasons, even as it stumbled it still managed to tie up a lot of character work neatly. We got to see people react to each other and handle their fear and despair in different ways and it was actually pretty strong writing (mostly) backed-up by the usual top notch acting from most of the cast. Ep 3 is, without a doubt, the worst episode of GoT I've ever seen. As a climax it drags on for way too long, it does little with the characters except put them in danger (and then fails to deliver any but the most obvious deaths) and the actual ending is not shocking when you consider D&Ds raging hard-ons for "surprises" and the character of Arya, but is still a massive let down if you look at it dramathurgically.

As others have said, the big threat that's been foreshadowed since season 1 is killed off before mid-season in one episode. Left is the pretty inconsequential struggle for the Iron Throne (because it is not like Dany can just head back to Mereen or anyth- oh wait). It also feels as if the showrunners simply didn't know what to do with the white walkers. There's easily half a season worth of content that can be made from the attempts to slow them down prior to reaching Winterfell, so that proper defenses can be prepared. Not only would that have played up how dangerous the WWs are, it would have allowed for more organic threat escalation ("The wildling trap failed, the road to Winterfell is open", "I'll march the Unsullied out to delay for as long as we can!") and for the actual confrontation with the NK to be something more than just the thing that allows us to stop feeling the ending fatigue of a badly paced battle episode. To have the entire showdown with the WWs amount to one badly paced episode is a gross mishandling of the big bad of the entire show, especially when said big bad is killed off before the silly secondary threat of Pervert Jack Spa- Euron Greyjoy.

I know the show isn't over yet, but I'll consider myself proven right in my prediction that D&D would be utterly unable to actually bring GoT to a satisfying conclusion. Because they just removed the big bad prior to the mid-season episode in the silliest fashion possible (well, I suppose Sam stumble killing the NK with some sharpened dragonglass would have been sillier, but not by much).
1. I was hoping Jon would actually slay a Dragon.

2. Never thought you had those feeling for Lyanna "Giantsbane" Mormont.

3. I think I would not mind Arya killing the Night King if she died in the process. Night King fatally stabs her but she still manages to do that knife trick.

4. I don't mind the idea that you kill the Night King, all the zombies die, because in most fantasy depictions, its pretty much Necromancy 101. You kill the Necromancer and control over the undead is shattered. I mean in Warhammer Total War, its the Vampire Counts one weakness. So protect that Necromancer at all cost.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Eacaraxe said:
Personally...I'd rather not it be this way. I proscribe to the theory Rhaegar was Azor Ahai, and Robert fucked everything up so royally for everyone the people of Westeros are going to be lucky to simply survive the oncoming shit storm absent prophesied heroes.
How does Rhaegar fit the prophecy? No shining sword, no sacrifice of his loved one, no rebirth in salt and smoke. Even Rhaegar himself believed it was his son, and not him, if the visions in the House of the Undying can be believed.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I think Martin is just waiting for the internet to write his last books for him. Once the finale happens, GRRM will finish the books and they will just so happen to 'fix' everything everyone complained about and he will pretend he intended to do that the whole time.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
3. I think I would not mind Arya killing the Night King if she died in the process. Night King fatally stabs her but she still manages to do that knife trick.
Speaking of, how did she actually get there to begin with?

Remember, Bran was surrounded by a wall of wights at least a dozen deep. Except the little corridor the Night King was walking through while his WW posse laid back and watched. Did she casually faceless man herself through the whole thing? Did she monkey through the trees (would actually approve of this)? Did getting laid give her so much balls she gained Euron's teleportation powers? Plausible. I mean, worked for Theon when he grew a pair. Or, you know, the obvious answer of "cuz its all dramatic and stuff and the writers said so"?

I know, I know. The show doesn't bother with questions like that anymore, so neither should anyone looking to keep their sanity.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Ugh... So Sam survived, didn't he? A fat coward who should've been on his knees one second and dead during the next survives. Put him in the crypt if you want him to survive, dammit. Our enemy doesn't tire but neither do the main heroes. The whole thing with Arya is just so fucking obnoxious, she even gets her own battle theme music like in the anime she belongs to.

While dark it was still a really nice-looking episode with lots of steadycam shots and a bit of video game aesthetic, I guess.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Eacaraxe said:
Yeah, TV show Ramsay didn't make Theon rape the shit out of Sansa, like book Ramsay did Jeyne.

Or his dogs.

EDIT: Don't forget the part where he flayed Lady Hornwood's fingers and left them to fester, while locking her in a tower with no food, so that she had no recourse but to eat her own fingers to stop the pain and hunger. Not that he didn't do that to Theon too, but Theon also had the unique privilege of having his teeth pulled so that he couldn't so much chew his own fingers off, as much as gum them.
So, I think you missed my point.

In the books, these are implications, memories and second hand accounts. They are things you can figure out retrospectively. There is no chapter which goes into a long description about Theon being strapped to a St. Andrew's cross and having his fingers and dick flayed off with lots of gloating and banter because there doesn't need to be. We see Ramsey's sadism primarily through the effect that he has on people around him.

In the books, Theon just disappears for ages and then suddenly we have one POV chapter with Reek, and we are left to infer from how broken Reek is and the hints we get of his memories that some really fucked up shit happened in between. In the TV show, that intervening stuff is given like an hour of screen time over a whole season in a show that is already struggling to squeeze all it's important plot points into a show format. It's very clear that the show wanted more exploitation (and exploitation is not the same thing as just having sex and violence in your story) so they added this stuff and then had to justify its existence by turning Ramsey into a much more prominent character. Book Ramsey is not an interesting character, he's almost a deliberate inversion of the movie-psychopath archetype which TV show Ramsey embodies in that he's not a clever manipulating genius, he's a sadistic thug with poor impulse control.

Silvanus said:
Aye, but Stannis doesn't believe in the Red God.
I think Stannis as depicted has a broadly utilitarian and proprietary attitude to religion. His attitude is basically "what do I get in return", which in many non-Christian cultures is a perfectly reasonable way to think about religion.

Whether it's actually R'hllor or Melisandre herself, following the red god works in ASOIAF. It doesn't matter if you believe, Thoros openly admits that he didn't really believe and was just paying lip service until he started raising the dead.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Hades said:
Doesn't Martin himself also has a sassy lady leading house Mormont? Its just that his is an old woman and this one is a little girl.
I believe so, yes. The principal differences between Book Lady Mormont and Sassy Young Mormont (SYM) is that the former is a) a proven house leader b) the leader of a remote, poor house that everyone considers kind of weird (and who's main claim to fame in recent history is that the former leader was exiled for selling his subjects into slavery and his father had to take the black) and c) of no consequence to anyone and thus everyone largely ignores her antics, since that's just how stuff is on Bear Island. As a contrast SYM is somehow able to shame all the actual lords of importance in the North and manages to be their (or rather the writer's) mouthpiece in all important decisions somehow.

Samtemdo8 said:
1. I was hoping Jon would actually slay a Dragon.

2. Never thought you had those feeling for Lyanna "Giantsbane" Mormont.

4. I don't mind the idea that you kill the Night King, all the zombies die, because in most fantasy depictions, its pretty much Necromancy 101. You kill the Necromancer and control over the undead is shattered. I mean in Warhammer Total War, its the Vampire Counts one weakness. So protect that Necromancer at all cost.
1. Me too. I was more hoping for Jon to take out the NK though.

2. I'm a book fan. As I, evilthecat and others have said on this forum before, Martin shows us how terrible medieval patriarchy is to everyone involved, it is a deliberate part of his stories and he never shies away from showing the reader how it hurts everyone. From Catelyn and Cersei who internalizes the misogyny in different ways (Cat taking a step back and leading through her son, Cersei by hating every woman around her, herself included, and trying to be a man in performance) to Jaime and Bran, who are both emasculated by their loss of combat ability and leg function and who are both written off because of that or even Jorah Mormont who goes so far in providing for his wife that he sells his subjects to slavers to live up to the ideal of a wealthy Lord. Or even Khal Drogo who dies of an infected wound because he can't even comprehend the idea that a woman could harm him, let alone kill him through guile. Dany's arc is also largely focused on how a young girl has to work harder to secure loyalty and respect then a boy would, because people assume women can't rule and how this sometimes work to her benefit because people underestimate her because of her gender (see Xharo Xan for example).

GoT started out like this but somewhere around Season 4 (was it?) they got this "empowering women" idea, and decided to implement it in the most hamfisted way possible. Lyanna is just the epitome of this weird shift from actually taking on medieval gender dynamics and the way it screws people over to a world where season 1 is rife with misogyny and season 6 has a ten year old girl with 40 soldiers to her name somehow shaming out fifty year old, male lords with thousands of soldiers and who actually carries respect. Instead of being laughed out of the room as the cute but weird little kid she should have been. For me Lyanna ruined every scene she was in because she was a constant reminder that GoT by Season 6 didn't run on any internal logic, it ran on whatever the writers thought was coolest in the moment.

4. I'm not opposed of the idea of killing the NK somehow ending the White Walkers. I'm opposed to how very rushed his demise felt. He was foreshadowed at the end of what, season 2 or 3? He's been propped up as the ultimate, world destroying antagonist since at least season 4 and when he finally gets to really let loose and start being badass he's killed off in the same episode that the the threat he poses is fully realized. It is rushed and shoddy storytelling, instead of really letting him shine as an overwhelming and nigh impossible threat to face.

I think an apt comparison would be if Thanos got all the infinity stones in Infinity War but just as he's about to snap Antman (because he's got a similar lack of relation to Thanos that Arya has to the NK) just upsized and punched his head clean off. It is a way to end the story, sure, but it is a terribly rushed and botched way to handle the antagonist you've been building for the last 6 or so years. The NK doesn't need to win, but if we are to truly accept him as an antagonist he needs to be an imminent threat for longer then one whole episode, by which end he's dead and the threat is gone.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
evilthecat said:
I think Stannis as depicted has a broadly utilitarian and proprietary attitude to religion. His attitude is basically "what do I get in return", which in many non-Christian cultures is a perfectly reasonable way to think about religion.

Whether it's actually R'hllor or Melisandre herself, following the red god works in ASOIAF. It doesn't matter if you believe, Thoros openly admits that he didn't really believe and was just paying lip service until he started raising the dead.
It's a little more than that. Stannis swore gods would not have his worship after his parents died. He places trust in Melisandre's power up until the Blackwater, but is quite clearly skeptical after then. It's not faith; that's my point.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Is it true Euron is trying to become some Lovecraftian Eldritch god in the books?
We don't know what Euron is up too exactly, but he's about a thousand times more sinister. He claims he wants to woo Dany to win the Iron Throne, but could very well have more occult ambitions.

His use of his baby mamma (and his brother) as the prow of his ship was some pretty grisly stuff, and satisfied the conditions of one of the visions Dany had in the House of the Undying (Grey corpse at the prow of a ship, smiling sadly - referring to Aeron Greyjoy's body), which implies Euron will be a big deal if Martin ever finishes the damn books.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
evilthecat said:
No, I just disagree with it. I don't believe you're putting sufficient weight in the challenges of adapting this particular brand of content from written media to audiovisual, and how that applies to the axiom "show, don't tell". This is one place in which I feel the writers weren't being hacks.

As I, evilthecat and others have said on this forum before, Martin shows us how terrible medieval patriarchy is to everyone involved, it is a deliberate part of his stories and he never shies away from showing the reader how it hurts everyone.
Fuckin' A. Jesus, I get sick of people who blow this show and its writers for how it portrayed women characters post-season 5, when the reality is any sort of real, meaningful social commentary has been stripped away and replaced by topical, social media-friendly, bite-size "you go grrl!" nonsense.

Which, thinking about it, from this point forward I will call for myself "the Eowyn effect".

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Silvanus said:
evilthecat said:

It's a little more than that. Stannis swore gods would not have his worship after his parents died. He places trust in Melisandre's power up until the Blackwater, but is quite clearly skeptical after then. It's not faith; that's my point.
It's not faith in the traditional Abhrahamic sense, but I highly doubt that Stannis is an atheist... I think it's more likely that he believes R'hllor is real, but he will not devote himself to him.

Stannis is a man of many contradictions in any case, his approach to religion is just one more aspect of his inner duality.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I cant believe that Arya, a trained assassin with a dagger that auto-kills White Walkers could somehow manage to sneak up and kill a White Walker! And in her own home no less!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Eacaraxe said:
evilthecat said:
No, I just disagree with it. I don't believe you're putting sufficient weight in the challenges of adapting this particular brand of content from written media to audiovisual, and how that applies to the axiom "show, don't tell". This is one place in which I feel the writers weren't being hacks.

As I, evilthecat and others have said on this forum before, Martin shows us how terrible medieval patriarchy is to everyone involved, it is a deliberate part of his stories and he never shies away from showing the reader how it hurts everyone.
Fuckin' A. Jesus, I get sick of people who blow this show and its writers for how it portrayed women characters post-season 5, when the reality is any sort of real, meaningful social commentary has been stripped away and replaced by topical, social media-friendly, bite-size "you go grrl!" nonsense.

Which, thinking about it, from this point forward I will call for myself "the Eowyn effect".
Badass men are a dime a dozen. As long as garbage like Fast and the Furious exists, people need to get over letting women be badass.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
Speaking personally, I don't really mind Arya killing the Night King per se, outside of some afterthought about whether or not she really is the best fit for the Azor Ahai prophecy and if there were better ways to affirm/reject the prophecy.

What ends up annoying me is the blocking of the scene itself, wherein the Night King is languidly about to cut down Bran in the middle of a clearing, with the former's entourage staring them down from a good 15-20 feet behind the Night King. And then Arya comes flying of the now blackened clearing behind the Night King.

...What.

They were in a clearing. Where the heck was she hiding? The closest thing we get to a hint on this is one of the Others seeming to notice something as a gust of wind blows by, as if implying Arya had zipped through their ranks at like an anime ninja. I just want to scream at whoever blocked out that scene. Have Arya swing out of the trees, have her lying on the ground imitating a corpse, clutter the clearing to give her places to hide, have Theon desperately try to wheel Bran into a chokepoint where Arya has been hiding above the archway, there are so many ways they could have made this scene work, but they simply went for a very lazy and almost literal "she came out of nowhere" presentation. And for goodness sake, they could have at least given the Night King an "oh shit" moment instead of seeming entirely disinterested in the scene up to the moment he exploded.

As an aside, the rationale for why Bran could bait out the Night King also pissed me off. He's the memory of the world, and death is forgetting, and the Night King wants to kill Bran to erase the world...hoo boy, where to even start on that...It's so spectacularly weak as a justification that it feels up there with when - during the production of The Birds - Hedren asked Hitchcock why the heck her character would be dumb enough to go into the attic after everything she's seen, and Hitchcock simply responded "Because I told you to".

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Eacaraxe said:
Yup. I actually have real issues with how the writers of GoT seems to have been so bad at imagining what female empowerment looks like (especially in the context of living in a rigid, feudal patriarchy) that their idea of empowering women was to let them be sassy and/or violent. Arya and Dany gets to be at the forefront of this (Sansa's empowerment plot was to hand her the idiot ball so that Ramsay could rape a major character), with both being empowered by their ability to kill their opponents. It is not that I dislike badass women, but they really don't fit within the context of ASoIaF or GoT.

Saelune said:
Badass men are a dime a dozen. As long as garbage like Fast and the Furious exists, people need to get over letting women be badass.
When I want to watch bad ass women I put on Legends of Tomorrow. There's a distinct irony in the notion that GoT's writers felt that the best way to empower their female characters was to let them exercise violence and kill people, when a recurring theme of ASoIaF is the heavy cost, both personal and social, of violence as a means to solve problems or exercise power. Book!Arya learns to kill people, but it is also amply clear that she's incredibly psychologically damaged by constantly being so close to death and having to kill people and that the list she uses to cope is actually damaging to her psyche and emotional state. Show!Arya is just sooooo cool, amirite? She totally killed both Walder Frey AND the Night King!

Maybe if GoT hadn't started off on the same page as the books, by showing the terrors of using violence as a solution in the first few seasons, I'd have been more ok with Dany and Arya suddenly becoming murderous psychopaths as a means to show that they are strong women. But considering the source material and the early seasons of GoT, it feels more like the writers just had a collective amnesia, forgot the themes they were working with and wanted to cash in some brownie points with feminists, while not doing anything about the actually disturbing content of the show, such as the casual, borderline exploitative attitude towards women's bodies as titillation for viewers. The fact that the same season which "empowered" the women of GoT was also the season when Sansa got idiot balled so Ramsay could rape her (and the show then treating it as a "learning experience" for Sansa) speaks volumes as to the blindness in terms of women's issues that the writers of GoT suffers from.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Saelune said:
"Feminists" need to figure out money shots aren't the only way to effectively make a statement or frame commentary.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Eacaraxe said:
Saelune said:
"Feminists" need to figure out money shots aren't the only way to effectively make a statement or frame commentary.
Oh dear...