Gamers Demand Dark Souls PC Port

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Korten12 said:
As I have stated before, if it has Mods, I won't buy it. If it doesn't, I will buy it again to play it on my laptop.
How does the game being moddable (when you download the game, it will certainly be vanilla) effect how you play the game vanilla? Just don't download any mods??? Mods are for people who want them, if you don't want any mods, you don't have to install any (and you always have to go out of your way to get them).

Also, I think the furthest extent for modding this game for the majority would be graphical mods or maybe a refining for mouse and keyboard control (if necessary). It's not exactly a big game so I doubt there will be anything going wrong. But the game looks great on vanilla. Any massively game changing mods would either be for (and this would definately be only doable offline) veteran players/people who are buying the game a 2nd time for the PC.

But I don't think anyone could complain about the game not being moddable personally (it can only be seen as a plus if it can though) due to the fact the way the game is designed doesn't really warrant any mods, compared to say an elder scrolls game, which could potentially warrant massive changes for people to want to keep playing the game in a different light.

EDIT: There's no difference between offline and online play? Do you need to be online to play the game? Oh well even then there are mods for console ports anyways, but they are minor tweaks at best (MW3's FOV mod comes to mind).

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Ickorus said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Pfftt...Dark Souls is kindergarten stuff next to Dwarf Fortress or Eve. ;)
Oops, I wasn't finished with this quote and I forgot about it when I hit post.

Those two games aren't so much hard as so immense that it's difficult to figure everything out and I firmly believe if Dwarf Fortress was graphical instead of Ascii and had a proper tutorial it'd be far easier.
just wait till you reach the bottom of the map thats when the difficulty cureve comes into play once more.

Also does dark souls needs a online connection to use due to that invading greifer system?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Korten12 said:
Kopikatsu said:
Korten12 said:
As I have stated before, if it has Mods, I won't buy it. If it doesn't, I will buy it again to play it on my laptop.
wat. If it has mods you won't buy it and if it doesn't you'll buy it again...?
Without going into it again, I will say this. Dark Souls doesn't support it self to mods. It is tightly crafted, the way the online works, to the world. Everything should be kept the way it was original created.
So you mean tweaking in the game mechanics, actual modification made by the developers?

Because what you said made it seem like if anyone dares to mod the game, you won't buy it even if you are not obligated to install.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Really? That's shocking, I thought PC gamers didn't like Asian games as a majority.

Speaking of which, just like PC gamers don't like Asia, Asia does not like PC gamers. Which is probably why you're never going to get it no matter how hard you try. %90 of Japanese games do not make it to the PC and when they do it is almost always an inferior port. Because aside from doujin creators(who don't have a choice, really), Japan does not like the PC platform.

It's surprising to see PC gamers clamoring for a non-Western game. But I doubt it's going to help.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Korten12 said:
Baresark said:
Korten12 said:
X4NDR said:
Korten12 said:
Kopikatsu said:
Korten12 said:
Without going into it again, I will say this. Dark Souls doesn't support it self to mods. It is tightly crafted, the way the online works, to the world. Everything should be kept the way it was original created.
I don't see how being able to support mods would make the game any worse. I can see your train of thought but mods are completely optional. You can still play the game vanilla. No one's going to force you to download this mod or that.
Because of how the game works. The online doesn't support it. What people fail to understand is that this will BE A PORT. They will not overhaul the whole multiplayer system so then a couple of people could mod.
No offense, but what you are saying is completely irrelevant to the game. It can't conceivably support mods, but no one has even said anything about modding it or having it support mods. I for one would buy this a second time, no questions asked, if it were to show up on Steam. Mods shouldn't even begin to make or break the idea of a purchase for anyone. They are completely optional, and while the online mechanic has it's positives, there was plenty of times it was more annoying than fun. But, as with the console counterpart, it's optional.
It was talked about in the other thread. I sort of brought it into here. :p
LoL, I see. Makes sense. I'm ultimately with you though, no mods for a game like this. I kind of hate the whole mentality that it "MUST" have modding in order to be a true PC title. When the reality is that while modding can be awesome, it's hardly fit for every game out there.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Ickorus said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Pfftt...Dark Souls is kindergarten stuff next to Dwarf Fortress or Eve. ;)
Oops, I wasn't finished with this quote and I forgot about it when I hit post.

Those two games aren't so much hard as so immense that it's difficult to figure everything out and I firmly believe if Dwarf Fortress was graphical instead of Ascii and had a proper tutorial it'd be far easier.
just wait till you reach the bottom of the map thats when the difficulty cureve comes into play once more.

Also does dark souls needs a online connection to use due to that invading greifer system?
If you turn off your internet you won't have to worry about people invading but in my opinion it really takes away from the game.

And I must confess, i've never managed to get far in Dwarf Fortress due to the Ascii and lack of tutorial I mentioned before.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
To be honest, I don't think that Dark Souls will be ported to PC considering that the developers are making Armoured Core at the moment and another developer could ruin the port. But I do think that this petition will help make the next Souls game come to all platforms, which is awesome. We can all scream with frustration while dying :D

The point I'm making is that this petition should be supported, even if it might fail in getting Dark Souls onto PC

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
LilithSlave said:
Really? That's shocking, I thought PC gamers didn't like Asian games as a majority.

Speaking of which, just like PC gamers don't like Asia, Asia does not like PC gamers. Which is probably why you're never going to get it no matter how hard you try. %90 of Japanese games do not make it to the PC and when they do it is almost always an inferior port. Because aside from doujin creators(who don't have a choice, really), Japan does not like the PC platform.

It's surprising to see PC gamers clamoring for a non-Western game. But I doubt it's going to help.
Asia doesn't like PC gamers... does not compute. :/ You do understand that one of the biggest market for MMOs is China, which is in Asia, and competitive RTS scene is the strongest in South Korea, which is also in Asia? Japan isn't the entirety of Asia, y'know...

And why wouldn't it help? Yeah, the PC was an untapped platform in Japan for a while, but recently Japanese publishers like Sega and Capcom have been making plenty of PC ports of the latest iterations of previously console exclusive franchises (Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Sonic, DMC, Street Fighter, Silent Hill, etc). If there's a market, they'll certainly publish.

Personally, I'm quite tired of Western fantasy medieval settings, and I'm kinda curious about a Japanese take on that trope. It's been interesting as far as I've seen.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Kaleion said:
Given that the games online capabilities automatically make it required for it to be online,
Wow.. that is incredibly poorly worded because it makes it sound as if you are implying that because it has online capabilities its required that you use them and it would not be possible to play it offline at all, or that anyone would conceive doing such a thing.

Heres my thing. I would LOVE a PC version. (was not fond of the excessive compression on my PS3 to allow for the game to be ported to the 360) Given that Demon's Souls had no DLC, and seemingly there is no plans for DLC, then porting it to PC would be a very important thing for the franchise specifically for mods. Even if the level of tools granted equal out to a neutered level of modding on par with making Left 4 dead campaigns (IE Zone layout, Mob placement, but keeping things like weapons/skills/magic offlimits). Another VERY important concept here is that potentially, it would allow very industrious modders to do something the franchise has yet to do, and thats Narrative expansion and exposition. I get they dont want to put the focus on the story, but if nothing else give players the ability to give it a story, even if the story is non canon and has no bearing on the franchise.

(Side note: What I would not give for a game to be developed that used the Souls gameplay mechanics as a template specifically for the purpose of being modded, so as it could act almost akin to a 3d version of a table top game whereas DMs craft the story/scenarios for players to play. In essence turning perhaps the strongest possible RPG gameplay foundation as a platform to allow for players to create narrative development as freely as a player in minecraft can freely craft architectural development.)

Either expand the narrative yourself via DLC which I know I would gladly buy, Or give the community the ability to do so, which even despite preordering the PS3 version I would gladly buy a second copy for PC just for the ability (for either quite frankly)

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
viranimus said:
Kaleion said:
Given that the games online capabilities automatically make it required for it to be online,
Wow.. that is incredibly poorly worded because it makes it sound as if you are implying that because it has online capabilities its required that you use them and it would not be possible to play it offline at all, or that anyone would conceive doing such a thing.
*sigh* It's the second time I've done that in this week, I guess I'll just stop talking about DRM and piracy in generals, as it seems that every time I do so I end up saying something I don't really mean, just ignore me.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Korten12 said:
X4NDR said:
Korten12 said:
Kopikatsu said:
Korten12 said:
I don't see how being able to support mods would make the game any worse. I can see your train of thought but mods are completely optional. You can still play the game vanilla. No one's going to force you to download this mod or that.
Because of how the game works. The online doesn't support it. What people fail to understand is that this will BE A PORT. They will not overhaul the whole multiplayer system so then a couple of people could mod.
Adding a single player mode would be beyond easy. People play Dark Souls without an internet connection on the PS3 I'm sure.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
"Gamers Demand"

Nice. Not screaming out "entitled userbase" at all. Slightly mitigated of course, by the fact that some of these people will actually buy the game rather than pirate it. Hopefully.

And remember kids, as a port, it will most likely (if it gets made) lose a lot of functionality that makes it fun on consoles. I'm thinking "Bully: Scholarship Edition" as a prime example of how this happens.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
Absolutionis said:
I used to think online petitions like this were meaningless... then Project Rainfall happened...
Exactly my feelings, I hope if we demand this they'll bring it to pc, if there are 30k willing to buy it already.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Kaleion said:
*sigh* It's the second time I've done that in this week, I guess I'll just stop talking about DRM and piracy in generals, as it seems that every time I do so I end up saying something I don't really mean, just ignore me.
Na, dont get me wrong. I get your point about it and your not off base. However if youve been on this forum long enough to write over 1000 posts, then youve certainly been exposed to people who would misconstrue what you say because they purposely chose to stop reading after they read something that they disagreed with, much less reading the rest of the sentence beyond the comma. So the wording is something that could easily be misread to mean something you never intended.

Sorry if I came off coarse, which I clearly did. It wasnt my intention.

________

Also... I do not get this argument of its online capabilities prevent mods. I mean last I checked damn near every PC release that offers moddability implements it as a separated entity from the main game. If it is separate then there is no fear of manipulation of the main game as long as you block moddable content from accessing the games primary server hub. Its literally as complex as writing a command line verifying what content is being accessed and toggling a box to either allow/disallow access. Though I love how people all too often view developers as Gods that a simple flick of a wrist can complete or undo creation and that action is a miracle that mere mortals may never hope to comprehend.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
soes757 said:
Danceofmasks said:
LilithSlave said:
Asia does not like PC gamers
Japan is not Asia.

Just take one look at Seoul South Korea, which is the Mecca of PC gaming.
Japan is not Asia?
what?
What grade are you in?
I think he meant state of PC gaming in Japan =/= PC gaming in all of asia. He's actually quite right.