Games that defeated you.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Viewtiful Joe, both one and two. I'd always make it to the boss rush right before the end of the game and I could never make it. It's just relentless. I think I swore never to play another game that would make me face all of the bosses in a row (and harder than they were originally) in order to see the end of the game. Ridiculous. I beat the first one on easy, but that's not really beating it apparently.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Super Meat Boy. I beat then entire Light world without TOO much trouble. Getting stuck once or twice each world after hell but kept at it. Then hit the dark world. beat the forest, Hospital, and Factory. Then the game said "NO! BAD PLAYER!" then started beating me with toilets.

In other words: Dark world Hell and beyond are mean. Very very mean.

Also Dark Souls NG+. The Four Kings. No. just.... [sub]No...[/sub]

Those two games did not just Defeat me. They broke me.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
That one section in Donkey Kong 64 with four of the original Donkey Kong levels. To get the coin that you needed to reach the final boss you had to beat the damn thing twice. I've had that damn fucking thing for a good 13 years now and every time I try to get past that damn bit it always destroys my character, sanity and morale.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
The only one I can think of is called Gish.

Not because of any difficulty on it's part, but simply because I sat in the very beginning for like an hour and couldn't find any way to go anywhere. Eventually gave up and just quit.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Mr. GameBrain said:
Metroid Prime defeated me before, and now that I purchased the Trilogy on the Wii, its kicking my ass again!
You have my sympathy, I spent hours before I finally succeeded in killing the final boss in Metroid Prime and afterwards I felt like throwing up. I tried playing through 2 and 3 but just gave up. Especially 2 with the "light and dark" world mechanics and the brutally excessive fetch questing through backtracking.

I also can't seem to bring myself to play though Skyward Sword, I can not stand the controls. The underwater sequence was making me suicidal.

I'm still working on Demon's Souls, beaten a little over half the game in terms of World's I've finished, just need some more time.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Ninja Gaiden

You know I have couple of games I never played thru. But usually this is more due to the fact that I take a break from them and never get back into them. You know, you could beat it but lose interest.
However Ninja Gaiden is different. I really, really tried to play it thru but I just could not manage. I only had the first release so no easy mode for me.
The skeleton dragon that shoots lasers from his eyes was the end of me... It kicked my butt royale style...

One thing I will never forget about it are the tank bosses. I'm probably exaggerating but when I first got there I was defeated about 20 times and when I beat it I was like ?HELL YEA!?, and then the door opened and another tank come out and kicked my balls...
Another 50 desperate attempts later I beat the two tanks and again ?FUCK YEA!?, then the helicopter came up and raped me hard...
I sat in front of the TV looking like this:

As far as I remember there was no save point in between...

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Xenosaga, the one gargoyle boss with the two testicles that constantly healed him drove me insane. Probably the first game I put down intentionally.

auron200004

Oct 12, 2010
I don't know. Being 17, and being a Playstation gamer, I never really experienced the "Nintendo hard" era of gaming. Most games, and I own a lot, I complete. The exception are those that fail to captivate me.

I guess the only example of me straight giving up on a game due to stupid shit is Final Fantasy XIII Odin fight. Up to that point, the game played itself. Once I got to Odin and realized that it actually can take strategy to fight things (and I had been taught abso-fucking-lutely no strategy due to the simplicity of earlier battles), I just stopped playing. I bet I could beat it. If not, I bet I could look up a guide for it. I just don't have the patience or attention span to play a game that I don't want to play.

I would like to point out, however, that even though I didn't grow up in the ridiculous difficulty era of gaming, I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to blatant challenges. I've beaten Dark Souls no problem, I'm planning on eventually buying Demon's Souls. I beat the DLC boss in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow on paladin. Metal Gear Solid 2 on extreme no-kill no-alert. I'm not trying to brag, just give an idea that I am capable of toughing through stuff.

That still didn't push me through playing and beating Final Fantasy XIII.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Azurian said:
Final Fantasy 13 - Couldn't even make it to the beginning of the third chapter I didn't even feel like I was playing for fun. It felt like I was just trying to reach the next point which never has happen to me before when I play a game.

Rogue Galaxy - I loved that game and I still do but that damn weapon synthesis was a major pain in the ass for me.
A-are you me?
No, seriously. That's why I couldn't get into those games. I have them both, me being a FF fan and a sucker for space pirates. But playing FFXIII seemed more like a task unlike the other FF games I've played and Rogue Galaxy was too tedious. Shame, really.

Mycroft Holmes said:
*Takes notes*

That's actually very helpful! I'm not playing on Nightmare but... get the feeling I'm playing the game wrong. I'm lv. 15 and getting my butt kicked at the entrance of the Frostback Mountains. I only have 10 healing potions and stupid Wynne, my healer, just got butthurt and left my party.

I'm playing as a Warrior because, honestly, I hate Mages. Except for Morrigan. She's just awesome.
I wish there was a way to kind of grind in this game...other than going back and forth all over the map.

OT: I'm not the kind of person that gives up easily. I've toughen up some games without even thinking that I could have quit at any moment (GoW, DMC, Viewtiful Joe, etc). But now that I got school and a job, I just can't afford to tough it up.
So as of lately Dark Souls did it for me. I know the game is meant to be hard but come on! The first character you encountered at the beginning of the game at the graveyard/summit kept killing me over and over again because I accidentally attacked me. Then I got my friend to help me. I was trying to tough it out even though I was fed up with the game's bullshit punishing system. What finally broke me was when I was just exploring the place, minding my own business with my friend and another random character when I noticed someone invading my world. I was a newb at that point, mind you, since I had only been playing for like an hour or so. So this guy comes out of nowhere and starts attacking me. My friend tried to help me, him being a badass at the game, but he couldn't because that stranger chased me, killed me and left like the dick that he was.

Again, I know it was the point of the game but that did it for me. I enjoy a challenge but that was just dumb. I promptly returned the game after that.

And I guess if we're going for games that broke me in the sense that they were just too boring/tedious, then:

-Final Fantasy XIII (I like the story. But I kinda wanna play at some point too. For that matter, every FF game I've played with the exception of FFVIII. I try to complete every single sidequest but I end up giving up at some point. See: FFXII)
-.Hack: Infection
-The Jungle Book (SNES)
-Half Life 2
-Resident Evil 5

That is all.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Z of the Na said:
-Banjo Kazooie

-Rusty Bucket Bay

-The Engine Room

-Falling to my death with 94/100 notes collected for that level

Let it be known, that engine room is the only place in the entire game where there exists a bottomless pit like that for you to fall into. Very soul-crushing indeed.
You know, I sat for ten minutes trying to think of another bottomless pit in that game before I realized you're right, it is the only one (unless you count the top of the castle, but that's not really a bottomless pit per se). I could have sworn there were at least a few other ones. There were plenty in the second game, but I couldn't think of anything else in the first.

Now that I think about it, I never got all the notes in the engine room either until I picked it up on the 360. The controls were so much better than in the N64 version.

As for the game that beat me, the part near the end of Far Cry: Instincts (for the Xbox) where you had to fight those two giant bosses at once. I could always kill one, but then I ran out of ammunition.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Ew. This thread reeks of abject weakness and shame, thinly veiled as camaraderie. A dense miasma of urine, incompetence and mingled handshake sweat. Disgusting, and pathetic.

Shame on you, every single one of you.

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
Super Meat Boy, I don't like that make me rage. Actually I don't like 2D Platfomers. Death to Mario and Sonic!

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
These games have defeated me, but I do intend to have a rematch:

Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic 2 for the Genesis (Last boss on Sonic 2)
Armored Core V (The battle train)
Viewtiful Joe (Fire Lion Boss)
The Lion King and Aladdin for the Gensis (Just got a copy of Lion King after 15 years, though)
Beauty and the Best (Beast version) (I think it was also Genesis) (Couldn't beat 1st level)
Gargoyles for the Genesis (Only beat the 1st Boss, then the city beat me down)
Trauma Center: Under the Knife (Marathon to the Final Level, still working up the nerves to try it again.)
The Binding of Isaac 2nd playthrough, but I'm still battling with that one.
The Hitman Series, because I want Silent Assassin ranking on EVERYTHING.

..that's all that come to mind now...

Yali

Jul 2, 2012
Just a couple of weeks ago Minecraft defeated me, well the Enderdragon did. There I was all decked out in enchanted diamond armour etc. and died from getting knocked into the void over and over until I got so fed up that I quit and deleted the save and my backup (which I reloaded countless times). That was peaceful mode mind you.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Shinobi on the PS2. I could have made my peace with the unforgiving combat that would occasionally snap your health bar in two, but the extremely dodgy platforming combined with an obnoxious amount of insta-death pits pushed the game from challenging to unfair.

I gave up on Brink after three levels. In a way it was my own fault for playing single player with a team of bots, but after defending a briefcase for ten minutes only for it to be snatched in the last sixty seconds; to then chase the enemy carrying it through the level and gun him down, only to be gunned down myself seconds before I could reclaim the case; to then watch several of my teammates run right past said case as the last seconds of the timer ticked down while I could only gaze on utterly powerless, waiting to respawn...

The level ended, I failed the mission, said 'fuck this,' quit the game and haven't played it since. I am so glad I only payed £3 for it new.

Kerboom

May 3, 2012
Dark. Fucking. Souls.

I can't stand it. It's being difficult for the sake of it. I'm playing Demon's Souls, and I actually enjoy it more.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
BathorysGraveland said:
When I was younger, I used to play this old FPS called Blood. I never completed it though. Not because it was too difficult mind you, oh no. Me in my young ways was utterly terrified by the severed hands that would chase you down and choked you to death. I could never progress much in that game because of those fuckers.
I got it recently, it took me a little to long to realise that you could actually shake them off.
but still.
FUCK DEM HANDS.