Games that defeated you.

auron200004

Oct 12, 2010
Gunner 51 said:
That's the really easy part of the game. If you should ever venture down to the inky blackness that is the Tomb of Giants will you truly know defeat.

When you get there you can't see more than three feet in front. There's not much room to dodge things lest you plummet to your death. Even if you block, you could still take a free skydiving lesson care of the giants.

Oh, and that's before the area boss. (Gravelord Nito)
Yeah, I remember my first time playing through, I rushed through that area because it was essentially one giant clusterfuck (haha, get it? because there's bone giants everywhere). Add on the lack of visibility and it's ridiculous.

I never really understand the hate about Dark Souls some people have. In my opinion, it's a true masterpiece. It's not even (that) difficult. If you know how to play, switch up your playstyle, then it's just fun.

Ornstein and Smough as a melee character on the other hand...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Crawmerax on solo. I brought in three 69's and they did all the work. (I was level 69 too though)
Every Megaman game ever, I just cannot beat them. I came close in 8, but the last stage was a gauntlet and I could NOT survive long enough into it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That One Six said:
Scarim Coral said:
Dullahan (Golden Sun: The Lost Age) especially when he used the Djnn Storm spell. Nothing I did can make fully withstand against his attacks.
Gotta summon rush him if you want to win. Put all your Djinn on standby, then just summon everything you can with your first four, let them die, and do the same with the next four. Took me two tries to beat him with that strategy.
I tried that but it didn't work for me. In saying so I only did it a few times but not repeatedly.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
Donkey Kong 64, that damn Donkey Kong arcade in the Frantic Factory level. Not only do you have to play it to get the golden banana for DK but you gotta play it AGAIN for the Rare coin to open the final boss.
Hell I couldn't beat it the first time so I doubt I could beat it twice.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
All RPG I've played, mostly Xenogears and Vagrant Story.
Devil may cry 3, i just got up to thw twins.
I wanna be the guy, I couldn't beat the guy.

The Smoking Gun

Mar 9, 2012
auron200004 said:
Gunner 51 said:
That's the really easy part of the game. If you should ever venture down to the inky blackness that is the Tomb of Giants will you truly know defeat.

When you get there you can't see more than three feet in front. There's not much room to dodge things lest you plummet to your death. Even if you block, you could still take a free skydiving lesson care of the giants.

Yeah, I remember my first time playing through, I rushed through that area because it was essentially one giant clusterfuck (haha, get it? because there's bone giants everywhere). Add on the lack of visibility and it's ridiculous.

I never really understand the hate about Dark Souls some people have. In my opinion, it's a true masterpiece. It's not even (that) difficult. If you know how to play, switch up your playstyle, then it's just fun.

Ahh Gravelord Nito... The only boss that made me shit bricks harder than him was Four Kings although to be honest he is kind of a chump if you're a pyromancer

1: run up
2: iron skin
3: combustion till dead

Anyways agreed 110%, Dark Souls IS a masterpiece... One of my favorite games of all time infact. Cannot wait for Artorias of the Abyss later this year :D

To everyone else thanks for a great read (and for making a list of games to avoid)

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
xshadowscreamx said:
lost oddysey...the boa snakes noooooooooooooo
What were the boa snakes? I don't remember them.

Anyway, the game that defeated me was Final Fantasy IV. I got up to the last boss but I was ridiculously underleveled. Unfortunately there was only one decent dungeon for grinding but all the enemies in it were too hard. So I just ended up watching the end on youtube.

Javinho

Dec 14, 2010
Mine was Final Fantasy 13, it wasn't hard or anything but it was so damn boring. I just hated it so much.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
Gunner 51 said:
I Max95 said:
Dark Souls...Undead Burg

need i say more?

wasn't easy at all for me

combat was a crap shoot, occasionally i could defeat all the undead soldiers and make it to the end but the boss always beat me because by that point i had pretty much run out of health potions and only had an inch of health left at all, not only that but i kept stumbling into places i shouldn't have, a graveyard full of unkillable skeletons, a pathway that seemed like an alternite way to the end but just revealed a crowd of zombies that bullrushed me, an unassuming tunnel that ended in a giant armored knight who killed me within seconds of discovering him.

i played through the level over and over, dying incredibly cheap deaths from enemies off screen that i didn't even see chucking bombs, and from the stupid fact that my shield didn't block for shit. some of my best tries were when the AI glitched and did something it wasn't supposed to, like fall off of high places or charge at me alone while their companions stay behind blissfully unaware of my presence, it's a sad thing when a game is only playable when it's broken

and lastly, i could overlook all of this if the story had made me the slightest bit interested, if it had actually caught my attention, but no, i didn't understand what was going on and with the world so bleak and uninviting i didn't care what happened to anyone in it, least of all the character i was playing as

you like the game, fine, but don't pretend that just because it gets much worse that undead burg isn't fucking hard, the whole game is fucking hard, i may be getting too worked up about it but Dark Souls is a game that flatout pisses me off, especially when i hear people praise it

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I Max95 said:

combat was a crap shoot, occasionally i could defeat all the undead soldiers and make it to the end but the boss always beat me because by that point i had pretty much run out of health potions and only had an inch of health left at all, not only that but i kept stumbling into places i shouldn't have, a graveyard full of unkillable skeletons, a pathway that seemed like an alternite way to the end but just revealed a crowd of zombies that bullrushed me, an unassuming tunnel that ended in a giant armored knight who killed me within seconds of discovering him.

i played through the level over and over, dying incredibly cheap deaths from enemies off screen that i didn't even see chucking bombs, and from the stupid fact that my shield didn't block for shit. some of my best tries were when the AI glitched and did something it wasn't supposed to, like fall off of high places or charge at me alone while their companions stay behind blissfully unaware of my presence, it's a sad thing when a game is only playable when it's broken

and lastly, i could overlook all of this if the story had made me the slightest bit interested, if it had actually caught my attention, but no, i didn't understand what was going on and with the world so bleak and uninviting i didn't care what happened to anyone in it, least of all the character i was playing as

you like the game, fine, but don't pretend that just because it gets much worse that undead burg isn't fucking hard, the whole game is fucking hard, i may be getting too worked up about it but Dark Souls is a game that flatout pisses me off, especially when i hear people praise it
auron200004 said:

Uikri said:
You forgot to mention Blighttown. Arguably harder than Tomb of the Giants.
@I Max95: I can understand what you mean - Dark Souls is a very tough game. It's just not a game that allows a player to go balls out with aggression. I haven't completed it myself either. I'd come close by my X-box decided to eat my savegame when I had a powercut while I was playing (shitting myself) in The Tomb Of Giants. But I also see what you mean about the storyline - it's so subtle and the world itself so dark - it does turn into what TV Tropes would describe as darkness induced apathy. (Which is also why the hollows are mindless zombies.)

But allow me to dispense some tips that will make mook killing easy peasy.

Spears + Heater Shields = Winning.
You can get them both from the merchant in the Undead Burg who is located near the bonfire. Just look for the tower with the two spear wielding hollow warriors, go down the stairs and Bob's your uncle.

Spears are the only weapon that allow you to attack and keep your shields up at once. Plus the Heater Shield is a pretty decent shield - blocks 100& of physical damage taken and even boasts good protection against fire damage.

Level Up in Endurance.
This means you have more stamina and means you can block more. As you may know, blocking hits with a shield takes off stamina, so it helps to have loads of stamina. You can level up your strength and dexterity later.

Know Your Enemy.
They all have their little mannerisms and noises which dictate what kind of attack they use. Winding arms back is a good indicator of when they're about to attack. If possible use their attacks to buy you time to circle strafe around them and give 'em a good poke in the rear with your spear. Especially armoured opponents. (Giggity!)

Dark Souls is cheap, it's bloody difficult - but should you stick with it, you get an RPG with fluid controls and you will feel like a complete badass for killing everything in your path.

@auron200004: I defeated Ornstein and Smough as a melee character. Though in all fairness my Lightning Spear + Shield combo paid off in the end. (In between bouts of running around trying to buy time to take a swig of my flask.)

@Uikri: Blighttown isn't too bad if you know where the bonfire is. Especially if you picked up the Rusted Iron ring, a Spider Shield and the Healer's outfit. Though Quelaag is a challenge if you face her hollow.

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
There aren't a lot of games that beat me.

But I consider CoD: World at War to have been my greatest defeat. As previously mentioned, grenades.
Now, in normal difficulty, in most missions, it's not bad.

Then comes the last mission, in hard.
Holy shit. For every step you take on the stairs to the Reichstag, 5 grenades fall at your side.
In hard, if you see the grenade indicator, it pretty much means if it explodes, you die.

So when you see 5 grenade indicators at different corners of your screen, all you can do is pick which is going to kill you.
If you run back, you'll have to dodge more grenades regaining the ground you lost. If you run up, gun fire kills you instantly, because enemies have x-ray vision, and can see you moving through wooden panels. If you run to the side, you can't, because there's shit in the way and you die.

I'll also mention EVE online, but that's only a semi defeat. I just didn't have the patience to wait another year before being competitive enough to even PvP, without being a cock-munching pirate preying on foolish newbies trying to take a shortcut through 0.4 space.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Megaman 10.
I like Megaman, but I've always fucking hated the trial and error stag select screen.
That is fucking retarded.

redrefugee

Dec 8, 2010
Zeturn to Zork. I spent ages on that game. I even used to have a notepad beside the computer which I used to record notes on everything. But I got nowhere. F*ck the rodent powered speedboat and the stupid diseased mice I thought powered it

Cobalt Lion

Nov 4, 2010
Not so much on difficulty or anything, but Amnesia: The Dark Decent is getting pretty close to defeating me.

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
By mainlining various rocky tracks and shouting a lot I reached mike Tyson in I wanna be the guy.THAT FUCKING INTRO CINEMATIC FUCK YOU I AM NOT WAITING 3 HOURS EVERY TIME I DIE TO RETRY THE BOSS.

Uikri

Jul 28, 2012
I Max95 said:

Dark Souls is not there to make you happy. It is there to beat the shit out of you over and over again. The boss actually has a really easy strategy. You'll have a hard time blocking anything with a cracked round shield. If your shield sucks and you can't get a better one, dodge.

Cheap deaths are a given in Dark Souls, but they almost never happen unless the player is acting recklessly. It's a sad thing when people can only play a game when it holds their hand or makes things easy on them.

You sound like you played for all of about an hour, maybe two, and then decided to ragequit. You also sound like you tried to rush through every single time, and like you didn't even bother to explore for better gear. To succeed at Dark Souls, you need to be patient, observe your surroundings, be careful even when you don't think you need to, and it helps to not walk into the area where the firebomb throwing guys can hit you. If you played the unpatched version, God help you, as those bastards are going to jump down every single time you get to that little room filled with bad guys. Undead Burg isn't fucking hard if you take your time, and get better gear. You can get a full wooden shield for free through the door in the area where the archer is shooting at you and you have three undead warriors on you. You can buy a Heater Shield from the merchant. You want to talk about hard? You go ahead and fight the Four Kings alone on NG+ or higher with the completely wrong build, and tell me that doesn't piss you off more than Undead Burg. I can practically guarantee that it will.