Games that haven't aged well.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Chrono Cross for me. It's not that it's bad, it's just that I never played it when it first came out and playing it now means it feels lacking since so many of the things that it did that were new and interesting at the time have become standards that have been further improved upon, making it feel very archaic.

To all the people saying Playstation and N64 games don't hold up, I think you really need to stop looking at graphics or at least stop looking at the games that were going for a realistic look back then. Games like Spyro, Rayman 2, Ogre Battle 64, and others still feel good to play despite visual faults.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I hear System Shock was quite incredible when it came out 20+ years ago, but it definitely isn't anymore. I just tried playing it for the the first time a couple days ago, and whoo-boy. After 20 years, those controls have aged about as well as milk from the same year.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
The original Command and Conquer: Red Alert

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Nazulu said:
CaitSeith said:
The only reason a game is called overrated is because he doesn't like it to be popular. The game's quality is secondary; it could be good, mediocre or bad. That's irrelevant, because if the game wasn't popular, if people didn't praise it, it wouldn't be overrated anymore (even if the game itself didn't change)

tl;dr: If a game is shit, call it shit. Overrated says nothing about the game.
No, you're putting words in their mouth, they mostly say it to mean average or shit. Of course it is used only for popular games, but all it means is it isn't as great as it was made out to be. It really is no different, and I really can't understand why you are trying to make it so.

Also, if you just call a game shit, it's still doesn't say much (and will still piss people off), as little as saying as it's over-rated. It's always preferable that they explain why, which should be the only focus on their post (not which words rub people the wrong way).
Yes, both shit and overrated don't say much about the game. But overrated imply a lot of people praise the game more than they should. It takes an external factor (other people) to criticise the game. In some sense it's similar to games not aging well: an external factor (development of better visuals, more responsive controls, better level design, better gameplay, better story, etc.) pushed up the quality standards so far up that the game can't hold its place in the scale. But at least aging compares against other games for criticism. Overrated criticise the game based mainly on other people's opinions.
I reckon you're reading too much into it mate. I guarantee you most just mean the game isn't as good as the scores say, being a word for just that. And even if someone is actually using it to criticise the people instead, do you really think they're gonna give a shit about what you think of them? Don't go around dictating peoples choice of words, because it won't get you far and your assumptions are wrong.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Ezekiel said:
Nothing. Games don't "age". What was good then will always be good and what was bad then will always be bad.

N64 and PS1 games don't magically look worse over time. I always knew their graphics were simple.

If I can no longer appreciate a game, it's because my standards were lower back then. Everything or Nothing was never good. I just didn't know better.
Gotta second this. If I truly loved a game, I can still enjoy it nearly as much now. And as far as standards are concerned... yeah there were games that were "I just didn't know better" but in a lot of ways the pitiful state of modern gaming has actually lowered standards in some categories. Making me able to appreciate retro gaming the superior in many ways classics even more sometimes.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nazulu said:
If someone says "duck" and points towards a "chicken", I'm going to point out "that's not a duck". If that's dictating words choice for you, so be it.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Nazulu said:
If someone says "duck" and points towards a "chicken", I'm going to point out "that's not a duck". If that's dictating words choice for you, so be it.
It's more someone saying ******, and you calling them racist for saying it when it should only be about the context. Your personal grievance with the word just makes you look sensitive. It's a really pointless crusade your on, but whatever. If you must.

OT: I probably should be more in topic :p

The classic character models in Final Fantasy 7 bother my eyes a little now, but they still have charm. Same with a lot of N64 titles, but I can adjust. The old Tomb Raider games though, now those models looking fugly. They play alright if you have the patience, but none of their retro magic is effecting me anymore.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nazulu said:
The classic character models in Final Fantasy 7 bother my eyes a little now, but they still have charm. Same with a lot of N64 titles, but I can adjust. The old Tomb Raider games though, now those models looking fugly. They play alright if you have the patience, but none of their retro magic is effecting me anymore.
Yeah, FF7 still retain some charm. But when they aimed for more realistic models like FF8, they don't look as good.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Nazulu said:
Yeah, FF7 still retain some charm. But when they aimed for more realistic models like FF8, they don't look as good.
I haven't played FF8 for awhile, but I never forgot how jarring it can be when going from the clear cinematics to the distant, sketchy looking, pixelated dummy's. It doesn't bother me as much as the classic Lara Croft though because she looks so blocky and flat, and bent, and has a face for a drivers license.

Blaugh!
It looks creepy.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Ezekiel said:
Nothing. Games don't "age". What was good then will always be good and what was bad then will always be bad.

N64 and PS1 games don't magically look worse over time. I always knew their graphics were simple.

If I can no longer appreciate a game, it's because my standards were lower back then. Everything or Nothing was never good. I just didn't know better.
No shit. Good thing we've got you here to explain that it's the people and their standards changing rather than the games themselves deteriorating over time. I thought it might have been magic, thanks for clearing that up.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
The complete Legacy of Kain series, especially Soul Reaver 1. Defiance is the best.

Beyond Good and Evil. Is honestly quite bad.

Well, a lot of early 3D games definitely.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
the silence said:
The complete Legacy of Kain series, especially Soul Reaver 1. Defiance is the best.

Beyond Good and Evil. Is honestly quite bad.

Well, a lot of early 3D games definitely.
Eh Beyond Good and Evil has always been a pretty simple game, the story is the main thing to it so it's not a fantastic game for replaying once you know the story. I whole heartedly agree on Soul Reaver 1, it is so hard to know where you are or are going since everything looks the same and a climable wall can often times look barely different from a non climable one.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Ocarina of time I'll even add that people who claim it is superior to twilight princess have nostalgia glasses glued to their retinas

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Ezekiel said:
Nazulu said:
CaitSeith said:
Ezekiel said:
Most people just didn't see it for the overrated game it was.
That's a pleonasm, and a shitty one. Overrated isn't game criticism, it's people criticism: people enjoy this game too much. That's completely arrogant.
No, you're just being obtuse. People say it to mean that the game is shit, and the comment you just quoted is a perfect example. We still see plenty of people who hate criticism of entertainment because they see it extending to themselves, don't add to that please.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it shit. I've completed it (120 stars) three times in my life, so I do like it. I just don't think it's this great game deserving all the acclaim it receives.
I was just being general, no assumptions made here. My next two comments to Cait I expanded it to other meanings.

As for my thoughts on Mario 64, it's still one of my favourite Mario games, but no game in that series is that THAT great.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Drejer43 said:
Ocarina of time I'll even add that people who claim it is superior to twilight princess have nostalgia glasses glued to their retinas
You can have that opinion, but we who prefer OoT assume you stared at shiny things so often that you've burnt your retinas beyond repair :)

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
Is it me or has Quake 1 aged better than Quake 2?

Also, I feel Crackdown would be ageless (or at least aged better) if they only used a better font for the GUI.