Games you loved INSTANTLY.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
The world ends with you was great straight away, I didn't really expect it to be so good.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Persona 3 (FES), Mass Effect, Sins of a Solar Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil. All games I still play, incidentally... hmmmmm

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I hadn't even hit the main menu when I loved Shadow of the Colossus. That intro was so beautiful.

Also, Half-Life 2 and Homeworld.

Thirsk

Jan 18, 2009
Zombie Driver. I loved it pretty much from the moment I drove over the first zombie to see the it's limbs fly over the hood of my car in a spray of blood. It's an incredibly stupid game, but that's why it's fantastic.

Also, I think I felt like that with Morrowind too, though the first time I tried it is so long back that I can't quite remember.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
TheMightyImp said:
Possibly the only one that was right from the start was portal. Oh and batman arkham asylum, probably.
Really? Portal didn't grab me at the start at all, I kept wondering when I would finish the tutorial and the game would begin proper... then I realised that the "tutorial" was the game :D. Of course it quickly opened up into a gaming classic, but my first impression was confused.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Mass Effect 2, as soon as I saw the opening cinematic and got through the gameplay tutorials, I saw that all of my problems with the first game were completely removed, which was great. Sure the planet scanning bit me in the ass, but everything else was certainly much better.

Also, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Fallout 3.

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
Portal, Mass Effect, Dragon Age (playing to the end of the Cousland origin story for the first time). Funny how the same games are popping up time and again in this thread.

Zani

May 14, 2008
Rome: Total War (and every TW game after that), also Oblivion, despite its flaws it was just so fun to play.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
Fallout 1, GTA 1 and 2, Half Life 2, Portal, Need for Speed:Shift, Shattered Horizon, Age of Empires 2, Mount and Blade, Left 4 Dead, COD 3, Jak and Daxter (the first one), Starcraft (you must construct additional pylons), Killzone 1, Star Wars Battlefront, Mechwarrior 3...

Most of these are games I grew up playing... It's hard to believe we've come so far and yet most of these old games are still great.