Games you want remade with better graphics?

Jan 19, 2016
Dragon Age Origins. Not just because it's my favourite game ever, but because it was ugly when it came out and time has only made it look worse.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Scarface: The World Is Yours. Mostly because due to its shader use in engine means anything above XP wont be able to run it regardless of compatibility settings. Amazing game, very shitty graphic design.

Mafia 1. I know Mafia 3 is coming this year, but the first one that came out in 2002 could really be remade with modern graphics and be amazing.

Stronghold: Legends. So far i have not found any game that can replicate such scale fortress warfare with such a good map editor. You can literally have thousands of units but unlike in Total War, they are actually individually simulated instread of group simulated.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. Just put it into the new Metro games engine.

The Saboteur. One of the most fun games i played. Sadly due to EA being dicks the game does not work in anything above 720p. New graphic engine please.

The Godfather. Unlike its sequel, the first one was amazing game for its time and have aged very poorly when it comes to graphics.

F.E.A.R. The game had amazingly fun physics engine. do a graphics uplift and its great.

Postal 2. That game is unique but looks extremely dated now.

Manhunt(2). The game got famous for being banned in many countries because of how gory it was. Pixelated blood and blocky characters does not really do the intent justice.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
the wing commander series

tie fighter

crusader no remorse and no regret. (although they still look ok even today"

homeworld with just the graphics upgrade and not the other additions

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
pookie101 said:
the wing commander series
Squadron 42 chapter 1 is supposed to be out around the end of this year, you may have your wish. Or at least close enough to it.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I've mentioned this before but a Deus Ex re-release (with a port to console because I'm a pleb) would probably get me to finish it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Glongpre said:
I remember following this one guy who was creating an engine to allow modern tech for Daggerfall. Found the link: http://xlengine.com/

I think the intention is to allow modders to create Daggerfall with Skyrim level graphics and better, or something, I could be wrong.

It has been slow going though, as you would expect from these kind of fan projects.
Yep, I'm aware of the XL Engine. I'm more excited about the Unity version, though. It's open source, so fans don't have to worry about the creator pulling the plug on the project for whatever reason.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Stewie Plisken said:
Go to Steam, look up "Black Mesa". Still in Early Access, misses the last chapter (they're working on it) and apparently some bits have been changed, but it's as good as it's going to get.
Already know all about Black Mesa: Source.

It's a fine fan interpretation of the old game but it just doesn't...feel like the old game. It doesn't play, look, or sound like an updated version of Half-Life. It feels very much like what it is: A fan tribute. There's simply too many changes to the level design, gameplay, soundtrack, etc, to have it feel like anything other than an amateur tribute.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
AccursedTheory said:
As much as I'd like a new Mechwarrior game, or for the old ones to get GoG treatment so you can play them without the hassle... I don't think I want remakes of them. All the old Mechwarrior games (And to a less extent MechCommander) are close to my heart, but I also know that all of them have aged pretty poorly, even not considering graphics. Poor AI, poor UI, a multitude of mechanics that need work (And would be sorted out by now if the series hadn't died in 2002), just... it needs a lot of work.
I suppose certain aspects of each have not aged well. I'll grant that. [footnote]I think Mech 3 and 4, other than a few niggles with UI, controls, etc, actually hold up a lot better than most other games from their respective eras.[/footnote] But when I was talking of remakes for the old games I meant more than just a basic graphical facelift. I also presumed some updating to a few of the other aspects of the games.

Though, I would argue that Mechcommander 2 holds up surprisingly well. It's still very playable, even by todays standards.

I think I'd prefer new games be made from scratch (Yah, not happening. Thanks PGI and Microsoft), and any effort that was aimed at the older games simply be focused on making them work easier, rather then trying to make them 'better.'
Well...we are getting Battletech [http://www.battletechgame.com/]. So at least it's something.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Xenogears with all the content that didn't make it in and with a fixed translation. Or Xenosaga with 3 more sequels after the 3rd game as it was intended.

Demons Souls with the lost content and updated visuals.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 on console and with that engine they used for the first game.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
infohippie said:
canadamus_prime said:
infohippie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Can we disqualify anything that's less than 10 years old?
Why, when so many were made with relatively crappy graphics in the first place so they would fit into the capabilities of a 360? Many such games would benefit greatly from a graphical upgrade.
Because you'd have to be truly petty to want a graphical update of anything that's less than 10 years old.
infohippie said:
...so many were made with relatively crappy graphics in the first place so they would fit into the capabilities of a 360
Honestly, a lot of games from the past ten years have looked pretty shit. A great example is Skyrim, which in fact IS being re-released with updated graphics because the original release looked crap. It's not being released with updated ENOUGH graphics since even the re-release doesn't look as good as mods can make the original look, but it's something. Mass Effect is another, as is Dragon Age Origins. They looked okay for their day, but that day was most of a decade ago. Put next to modern games and they look very rough indeed. So don't sneer just because people would like their games not to be rubbing sandpaper over their eyes.
Let's keep this open, shall we. Yes, lots of the games in the past gen have graphics that still are acceptable today and a remake in new consoles, compared to older games, would be near to pointless in the graphics department (and those games and its consoles are still easy to acquire). But others aren't the case (and people usually like to see their favorite games look better, as long as they don't get worse as a whole).

PS: Skyrim, looking like shit? LOL. I never get tired of that hyperbole.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Vigormortis said:
I think I'd prefer new games be made from scratch (Yah, not happening. Thanks PGI and Microsoft), and any effort that was aimed at the older games simply be focused on making them work easier, rather then trying to make them 'better.'
Well...we are getting Battletech [http://www.battletechgame.com/]. So at least it's something.
Oh, I know we're getting Battletech. I threw an embarrassing amount of money at Battletech.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
CaitSeith said:
infohippie said:
canadamus_prime said:
infohippie said:
canadamus_prime said:
Can we disqualify anything that's less than 10 years old?
Why, when so many were made with relatively crappy graphics in the first place so they would fit into the capabilities of a 360? Many such games would benefit greatly from a graphical upgrade.
Because you'd have to be truly petty to want a graphical update of anything that's less than 10 years old.
infohippie said:
...so many were made with relatively crappy graphics in the first place so they would fit into the capabilities of a 360
Honestly, a lot of games from the past ten years have looked pretty shit. A great example is Skyrim, which in fact IS being re-released with updated graphics because the original release looked crap. It's not being released with updated ENOUGH graphics since even the re-release doesn't look as good as mods can make the original look, but it's something. Mass Effect is another, as is Dragon Age Origins. They looked okay for their day, but that day was most of a decade ago. Put next to modern games and they look very rough indeed. So don't sneer just because people would like their games not to be rubbing sandpaper over their eyes.
Let's keep this open, shall we. Yes, lots of the games in the past gen have graphics that still are acceptable today and a remake in new consoles, compared to older games, would be near to pointless in the graphics department (and those games and its consoles are still easy to acquire). But others aren't the case (and people usually like to see their favorite games look better, as long as they don't get worse as a whole).

PS: Skyrim, looking like shit? LOL. I never get tired of that hyperbole.
A lot of games from the past decade also AREN'T acceptable looking today and were borderline even when they were released. The last generation of consoles went on for years longer than they should have, which in turn hobbled multiplatform titles. That's why I say vanilla Skyrim looked pretty poor when it was released, it had to fit within the limitations of consoles that were already long past their use by date. Fortunately modders fixed that on PC, but that's how it should have looked from the start.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Vigormortis said:
Oh, I know we're getting Battletech. I threw an embarrassing amount of money at Battletech.
Battletech? *sigh* That's okay I guess, but damnit, when are we going to get a new Mechwarrior game? I've been waiting for that since MW4. And no, MWO does not count since it's PvP arena shit without a storyline and single player campaign.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
final fantasy 6, come on by far the best in the series and yet has never be remade. hell the sound track doesn't even need to be changed cause the composer took a symphony performance and shrunk it to 32 bit.

other then that would really like not having to switch back to my 360 every time I want to play the mass effect trilogy.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
infohippie said:
AccursedTheory said:
Vigormortis said:

Battletech? *sigh* That's okay I guess, but damnit, when are we going to get a new Mechwarrior game? I've been waiting for that since MW4. And no, MWO does not count since it's PvP arena shit without a storyline and single player campaign.
New Mechwarrior? Never. Microsoft has given PGI an exclusive video game deal. And while PGI is more then willing to give HBS a piece of the pie, they'll never let go of the Mechwarrior series 'proper.' A new Mechwarrior game will almost certainly have to come with a Mulitplayer component, which would kill the money train that is MW:O. Not including a multiplayer component in a new single player game would lead to mass revolt, poisoning the MW:O well forever.

So, they'll never let it happen. They'll talk about it every one in a while, but it's just talk. Single player Mechwarrior is dead, unless MW:O dies. Then we just have to wait another decade and pray.

Also, correction - MW:O actually does have a storyline. It's the standard one, only players are allowed to influence it, so they have to wipe it periodically because, surprise surprise, Tukayyid turns into a shit show when you let players and factions loose.

Sep 14, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Maybe KOTOR 1 and 2 only to get my stupid brother to give that danm game a go (he was put of from the graphic, like wth? It's fine but in saying so he only bought FF13 for the graphic alone).
AccursedTheory said:
The KOTORs deserve, at the very least, a resolution bump, if not a flat out full overhaul.

Then... hmmm... let me dig through my Steam catalog...

Shit, I'm drawing a blank at the moment.
don't know if either of you saw this, but a while back this dev/group of people are "remaking" kotor

http://www.apeirongame.com/

as someone who has played the games for *years*, some of the environments are almost unrecognizable for how much they're changing them, whether that is for good or bad, idk, but it's something at the very least.

if this project *actually* follows through will be a whole other story as well, but at the very least it'll be pretty. (compared to 2001 graphics)

OT: kotor 1 and 2 obligatory reference. I would also mention plenty of other 90's rpg type games, but otherwise I'd highly appreciate if they took the new battlefront graphics with the HD mod [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGyaR2sSBkA] and remade republic commando...and this time finish the damn game, don't leave that cliffhanger ending.

*drools*

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
infohippie said:
AccursedTheory said:
Vigormortis said:

New Mechwarrior? Never. Microsoft has given PGI an exclusive video game deal. And while PGI is more then willing to give HBS a piece of the pie, they'll never let go of the Mechwarrior series 'proper.' A new Mechwarrior game will almost certainly have to come with a Mulitplayer component, which would kill the money train that is MW:O. Not including a multiplayer component in a new single player game would lead to mass revolt, poisoning the MW:O well forever.

So, they'll never let it happen. They'll talk about it every one in a while, but it's just talk. Single player Mechwarrior is dead, unless MW:O dies. Then we just have to wait another decade and pray.

Also, correction - MW:O actually does have a storyline. It's the standard one, only players are allowed to influence it, so they have to wipe it periodically because, surprise surprise, Tukayyid turns into a shit show when you let players and factions loose.
Well, I am hoping like mad that MWO DOES die, because it's a steaming pile of shit. I guess I'll have to redouble my black chicken sacrifices at midnight and add a goat or two.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Nox. It was such a cute game, and it is still, to this day, one of my favourite Diablo-esque games.

Plus, it would be nice if a modernized version came out, as I miss the LAN gatherings.