Games you want to like but just can't

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
danazcity said:
Mine has got to be Wind Waker, I'm a massive Zelda fan and so many people claim it to be the best one but something about it just... irks me. Irks me to my core.
I feel your pain to. I loved the old NES zelda, and I read that this Link was supposed to be a throwback to the first NES style link. And yeah, I could kind of see that, so the art style didn't bother me. The game however... man, what a letdown. It's funny to, because my friends loved the game part but hated the art style. I just found the whole thing very very boring... I wanted a Hyrule, something to really explore. 90% of Wind Waker was endless blue nothing, with some secrets hidden about. That's... just.... YUCK. Also, Wind Waker is the first videogame I ever fell asleep playing. That kind of says everything right there.

I did finally beat it, and yes I know the spoiler. But you know what? It doesn't change anything. It's not like Hyrule is actually there, you can't play inside it. Meh...

way2sl0w

Resident COD Fanboy
Jan 29, 2012
For everyone mentioning the Witcher: It gets good when you quit after 5 hours and come back 6 months later and play for another 20 hours. lol

Nopenahnuhuh

Nov 17, 2009
Eve online, damn that game sounds awesome in principle but it's just so goddamn boring when you start playing it... I've tried subscribing again and again, trying to get into it, joining a company and learning the intricacies of the game but I never manage to play it for more than a few days straight before getting burned out.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Tribes: Ascend.

I really, really want to like that game, but I just can't. I find that the way the maps are so large and that everyone can go frictionless/have a jet pack makes the game a bit too... bouncy. It's not very fluid, and anyone rarely kills anyone else, it seems.

Captcha: Oh, lord

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
I remember pumping quite a few hours into Oblivion and never getting into it. God, it's bland.

Batman: Arkham Asylum. Fantastic atmosphere, but I never feel like a badass because it's automated so much. I just push Y a few times and Batman kicks around like a ninja and bangs heads against the wall. It looks great but it's just not me doing it. I really tried to like it, but it bores me, and I get distracted.

Once a year I hear how awesome GUN is, reinstall it, and every time without failing, I bust my teeth on the barfight in the first town. It feels like an arcade game, there's like a hundred guys shooting and throwing torches. I like my western gritty, not cartoony.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Lewieroo0 said:
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

I loved Final Fantasy Tactics on GBA and I find that there are things in this game which are better in comparison.....
Yeah, put me down for this as well, but for different reasons.

Always wanted to play Tactics on PSX (never came out in Europe). I loved Advance, end even bought the Tactics soundtrack (which is fantastic.

However, by the time I finally played it, I'd already gotten bored of tactical RPGs because, well, most of the time they're not tactical. I haven't got the patience to spend 30 minutes on a single game now.

For other games, I'm on the verge of putting Vanquish on the list. This game really does suck a bit. The visuals are a confusing mess, and the controls are awkward with pretty much no button customization. And I'm not going to get started on how much the boost sucks.

The story is s**t (there really is no other way to describe it), the cutscenes are boring and pointless, and the conversations just get in the way.

I love arcade run n gun games so I was hoping Vanquish would meet halfway between run n gunners and cover & shoot games like Army of Two and Gears of War, but it just falls short in execution.

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
Skyrim. Which makes me sad.

By all rights I am a Bethesda fanboy. My upgrade cycle was determined by Bethesda's release schedule. I wanted to love Skyrim but it just got boring.

Another was the Witcher series. On paper they should have had me, but by the time I would get past the first boss fight in either my brain would be filled with boredom and I would turn them off and never look back.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
TorqueConverter said:
Deus Ex Human Revolution.

I'm not even 10 hours in and I just see no reason to continue. I'm not having fun. I don't care about the love interest, whatever the hell her name was or her god damn mother either. Why is the city of Detroit the size of one half city block? Does Adam sleep in the hallways of his place of employment? Where the hell is his house? Where is the rest of the city for that matter?
That's not meant to be all of Detroit (its not meant to be open-world, that's why the city areas are called hubs), and you get to Adam's apartment in about 3 hours of beginning the game.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Tales of Graces F is my most recent example of this.

I loved the changes to the combat, but the characters make the FF13 bunch look amazing by comparison, and the story is paced horribly. Quit at 12 hours, and even sold it.

If this is the game Namco chooses to base the US fate of Tales on, they can fucking keep it in Japan.

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
EVE Online has ALWAYS been this for me. I respect the game a HELL of a lot for the things it does, but the absolute slog and grind required to get to any level of fun activities just puts me off every time.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Final Fantasy (Any of them)

You would think by my sheer collection of Final Fantasy that I do like them. I mean look:

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
DISSIDIA: Final Fantasy

But no, out of all of those I've only liked Final Fantasy VI because Kefka was awesome.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
The Witcher games. I don't get it, it's really my kind of game, it's deep, it's complex and it looks great. And then I played them and it was SO. DULL.

Brixton6

Mar 30, 2012
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

I love the PoP series, even the new one that came out with the movie. Warrior Within though...I can't stand it. I think it has to do with the hard rock soundtrack (which doesn't fit in with the rest series), the emo prince, and the black and red color palette. I always end up raging really hard at that game, and not because it's difficult. The atmosphere just makes me really angry for some reason. I have to stop and take a break every half-hour or so because I play games to relax, not to become super stressed out.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
The first Mass Effect. I want to like it, really. I love the characters, the story, the universe, the dialogue...every part of it that doesn't involve playing it, because as a game, it's goddamn awful.

Every single gameplay mechanic is just clumsy, awkward and irritating no matter what you're doing, whether it's shooting, taking cover, driving the mako or just trying to navigate a friggin' menu.

Thank god for ME2 & 3's vast gameplay improvements. I forced myself to the end of ME1 for the sake of the plot alone, but I think my time with the franchise would have ended there if not for the improvements in later releases.

The Rainmaker

Jun 21, 2009
LoZ: Skyward Sword. It just doesn't feel innovative and it almost doesn't even feel like a Legend of Zelda game. I really want to like it, but a lot of the time, progression in the game just feels bland and un-epic.