Games you want to like but just can't

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
I think for me it would be the Halo series. I don't know why; in theory it's just like any other shooter. It just feels slow and slightly clumsy. Maybe I don't have enough experience with the mechanics, but it's not making it easy for me to get into it.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
Dead Rising 2 - I loved Case Zero, but when i got the full game it was just too big, and the combat got really boring, really fast. That and the mission timers bugged me.

Crysis 2 - I love me a good shooter, and this one looked really good, but the story was repetitive, and the multiplayer was really generic.
I agree on the second one and the first one makes me weep. If they had an "infinite mode" id murder to play it. It just looks so fun! But i dont wanna be weighed down with stupid timers and missions, why is there no sandbox mode!

Raziello

Jul 22, 2010
DJJ66 said:
Eve online, damn that game sounds awesome in principle but it's just so goddamn boring when you start playing it... I've tried subscribing again and again, trying to get into it, joining a company and learning the intricacies of the game but I never manage to play it for more than a few days straight before getting burned out.
I loved Freelancer, so the idea of EVE interested me a good deal as it was the same kinda free roaming universe but for the life of me i just couldnt get into it. It has great graphics, cool ship designs, lots of places to explore, lots of players and npcs to interact with and lots of varying ship to ship battles. But I just didnt feel any thrill from flying around like i do on most Space Sims.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
The God of War series. By all rights I SHOULD like it: Greek mythology, third person action and a decent amount of platforming. But I just couldn't. I beat the first game, got part way through the second and just couldn't be arsed to carry on. Plus, Kratos is such a douchebag.

greenlinkboy

Sep 7, 2009
Mass Effect 3's Ending. 'Nuff Said.

Red Dead Redemption where every character and the developer just wanted to preach at me random crap when I just wanted to play a game. And then they kill off a certain big character (name omitted for spoilers) and just replace them with a functionally identical one for no good reason at the end. Also, John Marston was kind of an idiot throughout.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Skyrim -- my computer can't run it well, plus the whole leveling horseshit that everyone levels up with you, so the game is the exact same difficulty level the entire time
Oblivion -- can't go back after playing Skyrim. It just looks so bland and the combat is so eww.
Fallout New Vegas -- I got sick of Fallout 3, and NV plays the same way

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Dead Space. I love survival horror, I love science fiction. The story is good, the setting awesome, combat is interesting,...
But it just bores the hell out of me. No idea why.

wurrble182

Jul 20, 2010
empire total war. loved rome, have tried about 4 times to get into empire and it just never happens. i think the game world is too expansive and has completely lost the personal touch of rome where you start with just two territories and you expand and your family turns against you etc

Wuks95

Aug 23, 2011
Fallout Games. I tried to play Fallout 3 seven times, but every time I just gave up after 10 or so hours. Also MMORPGs, I have friends who play them, but I can't get into them, too repetative for me.

David VanDusen

Feb 18, 2011
Final Fantasy 8-13, Mass Effect 1-3, Diablo III, every Madden game, Halo 2,3, ODST, and the bad Starcraft knock off, Starcraft 2, Modern Warfare anything, Assassins Creed series, Mario 64, Soulcalibur 4-5, Soul Edge, MtG: Duel of the Planeswalkers, Rift, Legendary, Infamous, Killzone 2, and many others.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
RACING GAMES WTF IS THE POINT IN THEM?? they generally have no plot (and when they do it is nothing truly impressive). All you do is race cars over and over again, there is no drastic differentiation between them, if you own one you own them all.
I would love to enjoy them since they are so numerous, but I cant because they are so repetitive. If you enjoy racing games I recommend you just buy one good one and stick with it. Because they are all basically the same exact game, or better still go out and drive your own car. Or failing that drive a Go-kart or something.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Reet72 said:
Alpha Protocol.
It's an Obsidian RPG which means I should like it. I like all their other stuff. Best writing in the industry as far as I'm concerned.
For some reason I hate it. I don't know why. I honestly don't. Most of the stuff about it sounds really cool. But I get an hour or two in and I just want to stop playing. It makes me want to go and do anything else. Like accounts. Or defrag my hardrive. Or clean something. It's weird.
Indeed, first example that jumped to mind. There was so much negative buzz surrounding the game, but I didn't doubt for a second that I'd love it; until I played it for a half hour and the horrible characters (what a pathetic protagonist), writing and controls just made me want to break everything.

Because of the chorus of Alpha Protocol apologists here I actually fired it back up and played it through to the end; it's just terrible.

Going back a ways, there was something about Independence War and IW2 that I just couldn't connect with. I never understood why, I should have loved them.

panda_rune

Nov 9, 2009
Silent Hill 2.
I love horror, I love journey-to-the-center-of-the-mind plots, I love atmosphere, I love morally ambiguous characters, and yet...somehow SH2 just never clicked for me. It might have been because I was late to the party and had read a but-load of spoilers, but I honestly never found the game all that frightening. I remember first walking into town down the foggy lakeside path and hearing...something...moving nearby, and getting freaked out since I could only see about 5 feet in front of me and if something tackled me I'd go flying into the lake. And that was the scariest part of the game for me :/

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Dues Ex Human Revolution.

I've tried over and over again but I just can't bring myself to enjoy this game. People tells me it's amazing, I just think that the movement feels very rigid and the AI is retarded.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Legendary.

Though it's more of the opposite of the thread: I want to like it, but it's not because of one bad thing that I don't, it's because EVERYTHING is bad with it EXCEPT for one thing.

I LOVE the concept of the game. Put mythical monsters from mythology into the modern day, and try to surrivie? Awesome.

But the gameplay is horrid.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Oblivion

Oh balls, was I disappointed when I played this game. The combat was okay, but the spike in difficulty was just so drastic it wasn't funny [small](okay, maybe it was a little funny, but only a little!)[/small]. Once I turned the difficulty slider down [small](which was pretty damn humiliating, mind you)[/small] by just a smidgen, it was the easiest damn game I played. But I still had the awkwardness of the leveling system to overcome. I wanted to mix a match my skills, but the only way to succeed was to go all the way as a thief, warrior, or mage, and even then it's nearly impossible, considering how some enemies are immune to certain attacks.

But, damn, am I so fucking thankful that Skyrim fixed all of that!

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Grenge Di Origin said:
Thanks for the thought out answer. I kind of regretted posting that because I half-expected it to just devolve into insults as is so common on the internet. But you are right. People always complain that all modern FPS games are derivative or generic without realising that's just because FPS games are really limited in what they can and can't do.