General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
People unfair attacked her (according to you) because of a different issue which was James' content changing. And not really because she was a woman, it just so happened that she was a woman and his wife.
So in other words: blaming a woman who had nothing do with Rolfe's content changes. They are still blaming it a woman, so it's the same difference. Those psychotic and toxic fans can still go fuck themselves.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So in other words: blaming a woman who had nothing do with Rolfe's content changes. They are still blaming it a woman, so it's the same difference. Those psychotic and toxic fans can still go fuck themselves.
Well it's not the same difference. Because you have to look at the context.

In this case they are bashing on a woman, but that isn't the same as bashing her BECAUSE she is a woman. Intent is the difference between accidental death and homicide.

Look we all know that "fans" are fucking stupid and horrible people in a lot of cases. But we can at least try to reason where that anger comes from rather than trying to label it something it's not, because if you mislabel it then you are misunderstanding it. And if you misunderstand it, you can not fix it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well it's not the same difference. Because you have to look at the context.

In this case they are bashing on a woman, but that isn't the same as bashing her BECAUSE she is a woman. Intent is the difference between accidental death and homicide.

Look we all know that "fans" are fucking stupid and horrible people in a lot of cases. But we can at least try to reason where that anger comes from rather than trying to label it something it's not, because if you mislabel it then you are misunderstanding it. And if you misunderstand it, you can not fix it.
Still not a good look either way. They're still blaming a woman for something she didn't do nor had no control over. They can get fucked for that, and I'll hear nothing else otherwise. You are really not good when it comes to this type of stuff whenever a woman's being harassed or victimized half the time. I'm sorry to say that, but I've noticed this on you when it comes to stuff like this. We're getting off topic and i'm just gonna leave it there.

Here are the other statements from the second wind staff.
Here are statements from 9 of the 11 owners of Second Wind regarding Frost's recent comments. The two remaining owners, Matt and Javed, are Australian and (hopefully) asleep right now. If they have anything to add to these statements, we'll include them in this message.

Yahtzee Croshaw
I've been asked to comment on this, and this is the first and last thing I will say: Frost does not speak for me, I am perfectly happy as part of Second Wind and with Nick as a coworker. I can't speak for Frost's experience but if he wasn't happy he was free to leave at any time, as are we all. I wish him well and that he'd focus on his future rather than trying to stoke petty drama in ways that reflect badly on him more than anyone else.

KC Nwosu
Frost and I spoke at length after his resignation (upwards of 6 hours) in the hopes of reaching an understanding as to why leaving was his only option. I suggested and organized the moderated call between Nick and Frost in the hopes that they could come to a meaningful understanding with one another before parting ways with the pie in the sky chance of forgiveness and resolution (another 6 hours). The majority of that talk went well, but sadly Frost used that call as fodder for YouTube drama. A lot of what Frost has said since has been a skewed version of the truth which I told him myself I found very disappointing. For example Frost is the one who called for the informal vote to fire Nick after the team met and agreed that we put Nick on probation for his social media behavior. Frost then went on to say in a Twitter post the vote wasn't representative of the entire group…(then why did you call for it??)
He has ignored all of the internal changes we've been making to address our complaints about leadership and direction, some of which he specifically came up with and we began to implement. Frost didn't want to wait around for us to do better; he doesn't believe we can. I find that upsetting but it's within his rights. However the continued focus on Second Wind is unwarranted and baffling to me, it strikes me as his way of forcing us all to do what he wanted in that vote. Nick is not without fault. Internally, I was one of his loudest critics, but I support giving him the chance to correct his mistakes which I can confirm he has been trying to do. Nick does right by the team for the most part and the picture Frost paints is one sided, inaccurate, and worst of all harms the group as a whole while claiming to be a defender of us creatives.

JM8
A lot was raised in this video, but I can only speak to my own experience with Nick and being a co-owner of Second Wind. In my four years of working with him, Nick has NEVER told me what to do in regard to Design Delve. Conversations about what we think might work well for the show (topic- and episode-wise) were always happening, but I never did anything I didn't want to do; all creative decisions were completely up to me.
It's true that I've had my grievances with Nick's management style in the past, but these issues have all been addressed through internal restructuring and reallocation of his responsibilities for the betterment of the company and the community. This was voted on by the entire team and was in motion two weeks before Frost left. Because of this, a lot of the sentiments in the video felt disingenuous. Many of Frost's points were taken out of context or presented in a way that implies he speaks for people he simply does not, and I believe this was done to bolster the "evil Nick" narrative he's trying to perpetuate. In reality, the situation is nowhere near as dramatic as it is being framed. At the end of the day, we're a young co-op company, and we've been ironing details out as we go, but I have complete faith in this team and this community. <3
I wish Frost the best of luck with his future endeavors, as I consider him a good friend.

Jesse Galena
Frost brings up some concerning points. I don't know everyone he's talked to or every experience he's had. However, the number of false statements, bad faith arguments, and out-of-context snippets in his claims that I know are untrue makes me suspicious of the things he says I was not privy to. Since I joined Second Wind earlier this year, the amount of work I've seen the folks here do to improve our personal and company-sided weaknesses gives me faith in them as individuals and us as a team. I encourage you to read what the rest of the team says to get a fuller picture. We all get one life with an unknown and finite amount of time with it, so I won't spend any more of mine on this. I'll spend my time doing important things… like figuring out how to animate a laughing door.

Jack Packard
Firstly, in Frost's video I am the Lead who said "We'd be fine without Yahtzee."
Frost and I were talking about hypothetical situations, so I treated the question the same as I would treat "what if Yahtzee gets hit by a bus?" To which my answer was "we would keep going." Frost taking this out of context to "prove" my lack of judgment is ridiculous.
To me, the biggest issue I have with Frost's video is the way he distances himself from any decision…as if he was not an owner and had no say in how we operated.
He was a part of the formation of the business from the start, and he was part of 2 weekly staff meetings and a monthly Owners meeting. His claims that Nick isolated staff are demonstrably false in that alone. His claims that Nick is an "anti-creative" iron fist is laughable as I've seen, first hand, the back and forth Nick takes with the creative staff…myself included.
The one claim that I will give him is that none of us are/were qualified to handle the business end of things. Yeah, I have a literal clowning degree.
But we're still here working on it. When we heard from the staff that there were communication problems, we stepped up to fix them. When we (finally) heard from Frost that he wanted to try things with Cold Take (credits/thumbnails) we made it happen.
It's a shame that Frost felt he couldn't work with us, because we were working with him.

Marty Sliva
Goes without saying, but I can only speak to my personal experiences. In the ~5 years I worked with Nick and the team at The Escapist and now Second Wind, I never once felt pressured to sway my editorial coverage of a game positively or negatively for outside reasons, and never once heard of that from anyone else. The slightest whiff of anything like that would've raised a shitstorm from myself and the rest of the crew.
As far as Gamurs stuff goes, I still have a ton of love and respect for what the editorial team at The Escapist is doing with the site, coupling SEO that keeps the lights on in 2024 with some great original features, op-eds, and criticism. That said, I truly do not believe a future existed for the video side of things at The Escapist that would've been sustainable and creatively fulfilling without overworking the skeleton crew that would've hypothetically remained back in November.
I love Second Wind, enjoy working alongside the team we've put together, am proud of what we've made and what we're continuing to make, and admire the hell out of this community. Are we perfect? No, of course not. We're a group of passionate, creative humans who bring all of our individual flaws and baggage to the table, and we often disagree on things. But given the positive changes we've enacted over the past few months and continue to build upon, I truly believe our best days are ahead of us.

Jesse Schwab
I stand with Nick and Second Wind as a whole. I can only speak for meetings and conversations I was a part of. That said, a lot of the complaints regarding Nick or Second Wind's management, unless shown evidence proving otherwise, are contradicted by various hearsay between management, creatives, and employees thereof. While the most contentious point, that being Nick, does hold weight in regards to clear issues, these are concerns that have been addressed in staff meetings (which Frost did attend), and we as a company have been actively resolving. When these adjustments were brought up to Frost in said meetings, it was clear that his problems with Nick were beyond repair, despite the majority of Second Wind believing otherwise in Nick, the company's direction, and our treatment of employees. It's unfortunate how it went down, as well as how Frost continues his crusade. I hope he can move on from this ultimately petty drama, and continue to make his amazing content that we've all seen in the past- as we all at Second Wind will strive to accomplish ourselves.

Omar Ahmed
I was the lead editor for Gameumentary and The Escapist's doc projects from Divinity to EVE, but over the years I began to realize that editing these wasn't giving me the joy I sought from that job and I expressed this to Nick in a call. We had other talented editors more passionate about these things, whereas I found infinitely more enjoyment working on Adventure Is Nigh. It was a bit of an emotional call as the docs were Nick's baby and he loved the pieces I made, however he was more than willing to allow me to fully focus on those things that I could pour my heart and passion into… and I'm not even an on-screen talent. I know for a fact that he has made the same concessions for others here.
The recorded call with the ex-Gameumentary team featured in Frost's video is undoubtedly shitty and was a poor way for Nick to address any claims they had. I didn't know that team, however, I have worked with Nick Calandra for over six years and can attest that the version of him in that call is not representative of the person I've known throughout my professional career. Nick has always been supportive of the creative and career goals of myself and those around us even when faced with corporate opposition. I've been fortunate to advance from a part time editor to head of video production in no small part due to Nick's championing of my worth regardless of who we worked for, which has been something I've been incredibly cognizant of passing down to the other creators and talent that we've worked with.
When Nick's rigidity in direction at Second Wind had become an issue, the team gathered to address it and Nick was open to redefining his role here. I truly believe that the changes we've made are good and healthy for Second Wind as a whole, and that includes Nick. He has his faults and we're dealing with them, but I truly believe that he's a good person and an important part of Second Wind.
Also as someone who went on all of those documentary trips, I can attest that none of them were paid for by the game companies aside from the EVE shoot which we were explicit about.

Nick Calandra
Regarding the Gameumentary call clip I absolutely should not have said what I said and there's no excuse for it. It was wrong of me to devalue someone's work in that way, and I regret it and learned from that experience.
Gameumentary was set up with no contracts as a project between friends, which should not have happened as we were dealing with money.
With the Kickstarter done, there was no money to continue Gameumentary. So, my plan was to sell the brand to Enthusiast Gaming, and in doing so, they would continue to invest in the documentaries and hire on the two main editors as I had locked in the Larian Documentary by that point.
At the time, all the business details were under my name. I paid the insurance for the gear, the taxes, the website hosting, had handled all of the Kickstarter finances, and more.
After that call, the four in that call decided to leave, Enthusiast Gaming purchased Gameumentary, and Omar was brought on to work on the Larian doc.

Final Statement from Second Wind
In our opinion, Frost has shown that he is no longer willing to work with us as a team therefore we will be permanently archiving the "Cold Take" Channel in the Discord.
While we'll always be open to reasonable questions and concerns, we won't entertain muck-raking or re-hashing drama over Frost's videos.
We're looking forward to getting back to focusing on what you're all here for — making silly, informative, and entertaining videos about toys.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Funny you say that because about ten years ago Donald Sterling was the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers. Until he was outed as being a racist piece of shit who only owns the team as a legal way to feel like he "owned" some black people. He was eventually forced to sell the team to an EX Microsoft guy by every other NBA owner because letting Sterling own the team was a bad look on everyone. Thus Nick's bad business behavior is a bad look on everyone at Second Wind including Yahtz, and Yahtz's dismissive attitude on the whole honestly makes him look worse.
Well that’s his M.O. in reviews so par for the course I guess.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Again, I can't really put a lot of stock into what these people say about Nick because Nicks past is there and his track record is there. Second Wind only exists because he was fired, and you aren't fired in a vacuum. Also a lot of it reads like people just protecting their job, which is fine. Frost did say he was making another video with more receipts in it and that he didn't want this first video bogged down by all the clips and context so that he could just air his thoughts in this video while the second one would back up what he said. So we have to wait an see what that all amounts up too.

I will say that for me it's really hard to take anything these statements say with any real value. For two reasons.

1. As I stated before Yahtzee has shown he just wants to make his shit and be left alone while someone handles giving him a check. In that way he is the model employee, he does his job well and just wants to collect a check and clock out. As a result even if Nick is a dickhead he doesn't really have any reason to deal with Nick so long as things continue as normal.

2. The rest of the staff of second wind need Yahtzee's pull to get eyes on their own content, meaning if Yahtzee said "fuck it" and did his own thing, they would likely flounder. Jack saying they would be fine without Yahtz is a bold faced lie just looking at their numbers. No video pulls in anything remotely close to Yahtz's videos and the views they do get are Yahtz fans who are just watching because it's the same channel. So if Yahtz were to leave so would a lot of those views on the side content.

Frankly I only watch Yahtz's videos because the rest of that crew are terribly boring and have really boomerish takes on gaming as a whole. Much in the same way I don't like The Video Game Nerd's content because James doesn't really like games made after the SNES and his takes really show it. It's like he is stuck in the same past he thrives in and was unwilling to make content beyond what he knew as a child.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Here are the other statements from the second wind staff.
I think I'm just gonna wash my hands of Second Wind and all involved. Which is a pity because Yahtzee, Frost and JM8 all made content that I enjoyed, but I just really have had my fill of drama, Internet or otherwise, and this feels like a drama geyser waiting to erupt again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
really boomerish takes on gaming as a whole.
In what way? I'd say less Boomer and more just contrary for the sake of it. Or holding on the takes that got old back in the early to mid 2010s. KC and Marty on The Devil May Cry franchise. "Nothing happens in the classic games! V has a horrible dodge! (proceeds to the mindlessly spam jump thinking it'll get him out of trouble every single time)". Even when playing DmC, KC screws up badly on something simple, yet he nor Marty won't blame the game.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah maybe it's that. Something about their commentary is just off in general about games. But it sort of feels like an unwillingness to enjoy a modern game, if that makes sense.
Which is weird, because Marty enjoyed the hell out of Hellblade 2 (Because it's a really short game), yet scoffs and gets mad at GoW Rag for being "too grindy and too long", Even though you don't have to do any of the side, quest to get through the gaming can get through it pretty smoothly and quickly depending on difficulty. I Appreciate shorter games and prefer those as well, but i'm not always gonna scoff at a long game. Especially if that long game is paced well or doesn't outstay its run time.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Which is weird, because Marty enjoyed the hell out of Hellblade 2 (Because it's a really short game)
Not weird. Journo dumdums loved Hellblade 2 because it was easy and very pretty. Hold forward, look at the shiny stuff, roll credits. They like games like that because they aren't really games and don't require much out of them. One afternoon to play through, and write a review on, boom done for the week, easy peasey.

How the fuck was GoW grindy? Long is subjective but what do you have to grind for? See this is my problem, there is plenty to complain about in these games, but these people always complain about shit that makes no fucking sense. AT least when Yahtzee shit's on a game, his turds land on things that make sense.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I watched Frosts thing.

Im a little mixed.

Im an adult, Ive worked in the corporate world all my life, and a lot of what Frost calls unethical, in my honest opinion is just how capitalism works. To get to that magical retirement land you always ask for more and take anything offered, assuming its legal.

Of course I wish we lived in magical communism land, but we don't. In that context Nick had an obligation to himself to take advantage of any opportunity available as far as handouts and connections go.

Largely Frosts legitimate beef is that every org Nick put together, Nick treated as his business. Id side with Frost that SWG branded itself as a collective and it seems obvious that Nick still continued to treat it as his business without making that clear to subscribers. If everyone knew Nick took home twice what everyone else did and maintained IP control would people still subscribe..mmm difficult to say.

The mudslinging I don't care for. Frost is trying to paint Nick as a heel, rather than a shrewd opportunist. Frost would be better served sticking to the financial issues.

That said, as previously mentioned, I never dug SWG. Lately I only watch Cold Take and to a lesser extent Ramblomatic. Yahtzees charm has faded for me. Hes not doing anything wrong. Its a Simpsons thing. I used to get out of bed for his content, but I only bother now when Im curious about a game.

I applaud Frost for sticking to his beliefs on how SWG should be run and will subscribe to whatever he does, but as a corporate shill myself I just don't find this to be as big a scandal as he makes it out to be.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I watched Frosts thing.

Im a little mixed.

Im an adult, Ive worked in the corporate world all my life, and a lot of what Frost calls unethical, in my honest opinion is just how capitalism works. To get to that magical retirement land you always ask for more and take anything offered, assuming its legal.

Of course I wish we lived in magical communism land, but we don't. In that context Nick had an obligation to himself to take advantage of any opportunity available as far as handouts and connections go.

Largely Frosts legitimate beef is that every org Nick put together, Nick treated as his business. Id side with Frost that SWG branded itself as a collective and it seems obvious that Nick still continued to treat it as his business without making that clear to subscribers. If everyone knew Nick took home twice what everyone else did and maintained IP control would people still subscribe..mmm difficult to say.

The mudslinging I don't care for. Frost is trying to paint Nick as a heel, rather than a shrewd opportunist. Frost would be better served sticking to the financial issues.

That said, as previously mentioned, I never dug SWG. Lately I only watch Cold Take and to a lesser extent Ramblomatic. Yahtzees charm has faded for me. Hes not doing anything wrong. Its a Simpsons thing. I used to get out of bed for his content, but I only bother now when Im curious about a game.

I applaud Frost for sticking to his beliefs on how SWG should be run and will subscribe to whatever he does, but as a corporate shill myself I just don't find this to be as big a scandal as he makes it out to be.
Perfectly fair.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not weird. Journo dumdums loved Hellblade 2 because it was easy and very pretty. Hold forward, look at the shiny stuff, roll credits. They like games like that because they aren't really games and don't require much out of them. One afternoon to play through, and write a review on, boom done for the week, easy peasey.
Marty was really the only one at Second Wind that 100% enjoyed HB II. Everybody else either were apathetic, hated it (Yahtzee), or just plain not interested.

How the fuck was GoW grindy? Long is subjective but what do you have to grind for? See this is my problem, there is plenty to complain about in these games, but these people always complain about shit that makes no fucking sense. AT least when Yahtzee shit's on a game, his turds land on things that make sense.
That's highly debatable. Yahtzee's has many fuck ups or where is turds hit the mark on things that don't make sense. His Mad World, Smash Bros. videos, and Dead Space (I know he apologized in his remake review, but he then complains about the 0 gravity sections being too easy. You can't have it both ways) being big highlights. He jates on Mad World for being "too easy and full of bad wii motion gimmicks (they're not, and the game he barely focused on his reviews)", yet cries about Streets of Rage 4 being "too hard" when boasted playing and beating hard brawlers such as Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, and Devil May Cry. All three of them much harder than SOR4, though the latter is no pushover. That is not even getting into his reviews from the mid to late 2010s of mixed quality. His rant on yellow paint being the complain about modern gaming trend, that is not that big of a problem.

Another Second Wind casualty:
View attachment 11687
If nothing else, Nick sounds like a pain in the ass to work with.
Here comes the Streisand and Domino effect.

FTR, he had almost the exact same problems as Marty. The only difference is Yahtz calls Raganrok another "sad dad game", even though the game has plenty comedic or light moments that are never forced. Even Kratos gets in on the joke more than a few times depending on the mission, side quest, or character he has with him.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

You know Bethesda, I feel like all the time and resources that went into making this could've been allocated for ES6, but that's just me I guess.

Or is this you guys plotting to come up with excuses to not release ES6?

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

You know Bethesda, I feel like all the time and resources that went into making this could've been allocated for ES6, but that's just me I guess.

Or is this you guys plotting to come up with excuses to not release ES6?
I'm guessing this is "hey that fallout mobile thing we did awhile back made as much money as 4 did, so maybe..."

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I watched Frosts thing.

Im a little mixed.

You aren't wrong, but I think that largely a lot of business owners are very willing to act in unethical (and often illegal ways) so long as it benefits them and they don't get caught. There's a reason that governments need regulation and oversight of businesses because businesses are fundamentally rewarded more for acting in more unethical ways

Yes, Nick did what I think the vast majority of business owners would do in his position, but I don't think that's something that should excuse his actions, or something that should be praised. There's a reason that we have an expectation that sponsored and paid reviews should be disclosed, because I think we all agree that a lack of disclosure would be unethical on the part of the reviewer.

If someone is specifically trading on the perception that they are running their business in an ethical way while simultaneously doing unethical things in order to keep their business afloat that's not a good look.