General Gaming News.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gollum game reviews are rolling out. And go figure, it's not that good. I guess it can be slightly forgiving since it's made from a small team, but we've seen how much these types of devs can accomplish (Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, etc)

What have I got in my pocket? Not fifty bucks for this pile of crap.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yikes! I liked Twisted Metal Black as well... but PS2 had a LOT of the greats. I don't necessarily disagree, but I'd like to acknowledge that is really high praise. With all the reboots happening out there, why isn't vehicular combat making a comeback? Or integrated more into something like Rocket League. Like "Rocket League with Guns and Rockets... and a Weaponized Front End Loader?" I'd probably reboot one of the other titles though. Or just make a multiplayer online version of the premise of Rogue Trip. Join a server and compete with other taxi's for tourist dollars via rockets, guns, and ejector seats.
Well considering the genre it stood out from anything else that was great in that respect. I wouldn’t put it above stuff like Silent Hill 2/3, MGS2/3, THPS3/4, etc. but I remember it still being awesome for a car combat game.
Here you go guys!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Here you go guys!

I'm guessing its garbage. If it were any good, they wouldn't have had to tie it in with an out of genre existing IP. They could be just trying to maximize initial adoption by doing so, but 9 times out of 10 when you do this it's to cover up something pretty awful. Add in that it is FTP... that's a whole lot of red flag.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.

Some gameplay on the AITD remake. I find it poetic that the series that started the survival horror, is now adopting the gameplay of modern survival horror games
I'm actually more interested in this than I am the Resident Evil or Silent Hill remakes. For all that, RE or SH are still more easily accessible in their original forms. Yeah, I have AitD and 2 on GOG. But given how old those titles are, a remake seems way more appropriate. Or it's just that I'm old and I'm more nostalgic for games from my childhood as opposed to games from my post teenage years. And the AitD sequels from 3 on were complete garbage. SH was much the same, but Konami will never recapture that magic. And RE had 4 and 7, really excellent games that are still totally enjoyable. AitD just seems more like it needs a reboot.

That said, no battledore... no deal. Still one of my favorite weapons in all of videogame history.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Or it's just that I'm old and I'm more nostalgic for games from my childhood as opposed to games from my post teenage years.
This.

For all that, RE or SH are still more easily accessible in their original forms.
That depends on the game, which version, and what console. SH2 original on PS2 and the later XBOX port are crazy expensive. Even the Greatest Hits label is absurdly overly marked up high in the second hand market. These old games aren't getting any cheaper, and Konami doesn't care.

And the AitD sequels from 3 on were complete garbage.
True.
SH was much the same, but Konami will never recapture that magic.
Every new SH game sold less and less. Konami gave each entry so many chances, but they the execs their clearly did not know when to quit. Pat and Woolie talked about this earlier this week.

And RE had 4 and 7, really excellent games that are still totally enjoyable.
Debatable with RE7. I don't enjoy it much, and it's the one I comeback to the least other than RE0, CV, and RE6. It's not a bad game, but I hate the molded and RE7 is just the first game combined with FEAR (same writer from the first FEAR game), but in first person this time. While RE4 is enjoyable, but parts of it have not aged well (insta-death QTES!), and I don't like going into Leon's forced "siege tank mode", because he can't aim and move at the same time. The QTEs especially, I lost patience for by the time Dead Space came out. RE4R I've had more play time than I've ever had with OG RE4. 11 playthroughs compared to the 3 I did in RE4.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
That depends on the game, which version, and what console. SH2 original on PS2 and the later XBOX port are crazy expensive. Even the Greatest Hits label is absurdly overly marked up high in the second hand market. These old games aren't getting any cheaper, and Konami doesn't care.
They're totally accessible because I still have my copies and a working console. I also have my cd--rom copy of AitD and 2, but couldn't possibly play it without hours of tinkering with Dosbox.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah, I'm done with John Wick. I know 4 & 5 were shot back-to-back, but I lost interests after 3. They just keep stretching it. I am not interested in the AAA game either.

John Wick 5 in early development – and that’s just the beginning
I mean, I watched the first one because it was free on YouTube for a bit, and it was a fun and competent action flick- but I'm not sure just why the franchise exploded the way it did. I guess being in the midst of Keanu-mania had something to do with it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They're totally accessible because I still have my copies and a working console. I also have my cd--rom copy of AitD and 2, but couldn't possibly play it without hours of tinkering with Dosbox.
I'm glad you have all your copies, but not everybody has them on hand. It's either that or emulation, and not everybody has a powerful PC either. For the emulation case, I'm referring to Silent Hill. Yeah, they are available, but not everybody's going to shell out $100 to $300 plus dollars for a used copy of Silent Hill 2-4. The first game seems to skirt by this okay, but there are a few places that are rigging the price up. While the HD ports of 2 & 3 are cheaper, they're worse versions of those games. All I can say is that I'm glad that I am not a hardcore Silent Hill fan, and I got or kept the PS2 games I wanted. Same on GC.

Ask for the original Alone in the Dark games, they're all old PC games, and many of those types are nightmare to get working on modern systems. So I'm not going to blame you there.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, I watched the first one because it was free on YouTube for a bit, and it was a fun and competent action flick- but I'm not sure just why the franchise exploded the way it did. I guess being in the midst of Keanu-mania had something to do with it.
The reason why the franchise exploded, because it was the return of r-rated action films to theaters, and not just straight to DVD or home video. Granted, a lot of the straight to video action movies were better than most theatrical releases around this time anyway. The other reason was that the action scenes were all well done, and it wasn't full of shaky cam and quick cutting that was highly prevalent in so many modern (usually PG-13 or edited to PG-13) action films. The only reason John Wick 1 comes off as fun and competent nowadays, is because is that there are so many of its clones or just other stylish action films to compare and contrast. It was pretty obvious that the movie was supposed to be a one-off, but got so popular because of high viewings and tickets sales. Though as I mentioned back in 2021, I was already getting tired of the John Wick clones. I would still take them over the Bourne Identity clones in any movie that has constant shaking camera syndrome, but everybody just needs to do their own thing at this point.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm glad you have all your copies, but not everybody has them on hand. It's either that or emulation, and not everybody has a powerful PC either. For the emulation case, I'm referring to Silent Hill. Yeah, they are available, but not everybody's going to shell out $100 to $300 plus dollars for a used copy of Silent Hill 2-4. The first game seems to skirt by this okay, but there are a few places that are rigging the price up. While the HD ports of 2 & 3 are cheaper, they're worse versions of those games. All I can say is that I'm glad that I am not a hardcore Silent Hill fan, and I got or kept the PS2 games I wanted. Same on GC.
Yeah; but like I do all too often, I was talking about me. Being accessible to me. Someone else having to shell out +AAA prices for a retrogame, sucks. But not what I was talking about. There are rare or way too expensive games that I don't have copies of that I wish I did but won't shell out for hugely inflated prices. But for the most part, if I really liked a game I always try and maintain a way to access it. And so, the biggest problems I run into are with those old PC games because by comparison... consoles are easy. If it works and you have it... you can play it.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah; but like I do all too often, I was talking about me.
Ok then. I'm a similar way. It's why I kept my PS2, Wii (doubling as a backup GC), and GameCube. I got a HDMI converter to upscale these games and they look great(er).

There are rare or way too expensive games that I don't have copies of that I wish I did but won't shell out for hugely inflated prices. But for the most part, if I really liked a game I always try and maintain a way to access it. And so, the biggest problems I run into are with those old PC games because by comparison... consoles are easy. If it works and you have it... you can play it.
I know a few second hand gaming store places that sell retro games at a cheaper price or fair price, but I'm more or less had my fill of those at that point. I still check on the occasion, but I'm not going to go crazy. I'm either interested or not.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
That Gollum game has seriously done a number on itself. Unanimously considered a new embarrassment. Lessons were learned. Learnt?

Important.

Lessons.

Learnt?

Daedalic Entertainment, the studio behind the recently released and critically lambasted The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, has reportedly received funding from the German government to develop a second Lord of the Rings title.

As spotted by German website Wirtschaft (thanks Gamesradar), Daedalic has been awarded a €2m grant - approximately £1.7m - by the German Ministry of Economic Affairs to work on what appears to be a second game in J. R. R. Tolkein's beloved fantasy universe.

The project, which is currently listed under the codename "It's magic" on the Ministry of Economic Affairs' website, is described (via Google Translate) as a game that will transport players to a "lush world full of mythical creatures and magic" and tell a "story from a character's perspective that has never been told before."

New patch for The Lord of the Rings: Gollum due tomorrow image

"The player discovers completely new regions and influences the events of the world within the scope of his role and his abilities," the description continues. "He tries in his own way to influence the course of things and to change the fate of the world. This project is aimed at avid fans of the fantasy story and 3D action-adventure genres around the world."

While references to a character's previously untold story and attempts to "influence the course of things" certainly brings to mind Daedalic's recent, and much-maligned Gollum game, the funding notice points to a project with a very different development timeframe. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum was announced in 2019, but development on "It's magic" is listed as having started in June 2022 with an anticipated end date of August next year.

In response to a query from Eurogamer, a Daedelic spokesperson said of today's report, "At the moment we have nothing to comment."

Daedelic, for its part, is currently working to address criticism of its new Gollum game. In a statement shared today, it said it would "like to sincerely applies for the underwhelming experience many of you have had", promising "patches and improvements" to follow.

Eurogamer's Christian Donlan called The Lord of the Rings: Gollum a "well-intentioned mess, and one which I can tell talented people have poured their lives into" when he reviewed it earlier this week, awarding it just 1 out of 5 stars.
Lessons?? Lemons? Melons? Nolan's? Gollums??

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That Gollum game has seriously done a number on itself. Unanimously considered a new embarrassment. Lessons were learned. Learnt?

Important.

Lessons.

Learnt?

Lord of the Rings: Farmer Maggot. Farming sim starring this guy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Eurogamer's Christian Donlan called The Lord of the Rings: Gollum a "well-intentioned mess, and one which I can tell talented people have poured their lives into" when he reviewed it earlier this week, awarding it just 1 out of 5 stars.
Ouch lol

Tbf, the grant was probably months if not years in the making so wasn't given in response to the game.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Important.

Lessons.

Learnt?

The studio put out a statement too saying sorry and that they are working on patches and fixes and it's like, "did nobody at that studio look at this piece of shit before you released it?"

Why even have a QA department if you ignore all the obvious problems i KNOW they reported?

Fuck off and fuck your secong game too.