Give Nintnendo a chance!

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Nintendo died to me after the N64 and Gameboy Advanced.

Their next console and hand-held went in completely the wrong direction for me and just kept on going.

Kurai Angelo

Oct 12, 2009
Matthew Jabour said:
New Smash Bros. New Donkey Kong. New 3D Mario. Bayonetta. Wonderful 101. Wind Waker HD. What do these things have in common?
Almost all of them are remakes? Nintendo has been dancing the same dance for 20 years. E3 is never going to be Nintendo-centric if all they do is announce another Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros. game every time; that isn't big news.

I'm not saying this to try and slate Nintendo. I enjoy their games, but compared to the PR nightmare of the Xbone, hearing about the New 3D Super Smash Zelda Bros. Country Returns game isn't going to interest people.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
At this point, Sony is more likely to pull out of the hardware race than Nintendo, given their utterly woeful financials. Wishing for Nintendo exclusives to go multiplatform at this point in time is just ludicrous.
Actually I would revise that and say Microsoft have a lot to worry about.
They were just starting to make profits on the 360, and this generation they could of came out strong. However they really fucked the pooch with the Xbone.
At least Sony has a positive bank account.
Microsoft's console division is still in the negative.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Look, OP, it's nice that you're excited, but saying that other people have no right to not be excited comes off very much as a "Stop Disliking What I Like" comment. People have different tastes and that's one of the final truths. If you're satisfied with your position, be happy and don't demand that other people should be in your position along with being satisfied as well.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Welcome to The Escapist, around here people seem to hate Nintendo. Trying to make a thread defending them will not end well.
I can understand the hate due to Nintendo's incompetence which for the WiiU is just about everything. But what I don't get is the hate of Nintendo exclusives to the point of wanting the whole company to fail, especially with MS part of the industry. I guess exclusives are only a good thing aslong as it's on Xbox or Playstation or they are PC gamers who hate console exclusives.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
The entire console was built on a gimmick, which was interesting in the days of Wii when that was new. But now its pretty much assured that traditional controllers are the way to go. They've had a long head start and had their chance.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
[quote/]Nintendo fanyboy: Hi Guys!! I know Nintendo has screwed the pooch with the WiiU but all im saying is give them a Chance!!!!!!!![/quote]
When they come out with a console that has a fucking normal controller, rerelease Earthbound and mother 3 for western audiences, create some new fucking ips, and make their console friendly for third party developers, I might just give a damn about their console.

Why yes, I did grow up with nintendo. Oh I'm not bitter or anything. Why do you ask?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I've given Nintendo more chances than they deserve.
I am both wiser and more cynical as a result. (and a little less wealthy)

It's up to Nintendo to prove to me that they're worth a fuck; THEM, AND NOT YOU.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I don't care that much about the WiiU because of the stupid controllers and lack of games, but me and my brother are both interested in the new Smash bros. Besides there is one thing people are forgetting, when it comes to handhelds Nintendo has no competition (in my opinion).

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Meh. They can wait. With titles largely encompassing re-releases and copy/paste sequels, I'm certainly in no rush to get a WiiU.

Now I'm off to go play Disgaea 3 on my Vita.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
The Wii U doesn't have any games out yet. I was ready to get one with Rayman and Mario, but the former is the one I want more and Ubisoft pushed it back because they don't want my money yet. Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, and the next Xeno- game look awesome, except none of those are out yet. The Wii U isn't alive yet, and very few developers want to try throwing lightning at it due to the low console sales.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
But... but the wiiU has weak hardware!? How can you possibly expect people to buy a game console with weak hardware!? Good hardware = good games, didn't anyone tell you? It doesn't matter that games like Crysis are empty, boring and dull; it looks AMAZING! And that's all that matters, isn't that all you could possibly want from a game? The best visuals currently capable?

And if you are some sort of radical niche audience trying to be a special snowflake by playing games for other reasons, I got some bad news for ya, pal. Someone on 4chan said that the wiiU has no games and it will NEVER have any games... EVER! Because, come on, think about it. Nintendo, releasing a "video game"? Are you for reeeaal!? Not going to happen, what is it you think these people do? lol

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
The main three reasons I see:

1) Current-gen level hardware - Some of the best games in each generation are multi-platform, but most multiplatform games probably won't make it to the WiiU because of its hardware.

2) Gimmicky controller - I know that it was already said that developers won't have to utilize it, but some already do and having to look at different screens for different actions seems very unimmersive.

3) It doesn't have many games - While Nintendo fans are probably excited for the new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc games, non-Nintendo fans want more third-party games that are not ports of current-gen games. The WiiU has very few of those.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Zenn3k said:
Big_Willie_Styles said:
Zenn3k said:
Honestly, I feel Nintendo should drop out of the console business and become a 3rd party dev.
Because that somehow makes sense seeing as they won the last generation. Nintendo is the biggest video game company in the world. Just doesn't make sense, bro.
How many WiiU's have they sold now? They are going back to the basement this generation, and they may never come back out of it.
They've sold as many Wii U's 7 months in as Microsoft sold 360s after the same time period. And that's without significant first party games. Once the likes of Mario, Pikmin and Donkey Kong start hitting, expect sales to swing upwards massively.

Devs are jumping ship from the WiiU as well, because nobody is buying the console. Hell, I haven't even turned on my Wii in over 5 years, it sits in a box, its not even plugged in anymore, many other gamers have a similar fate for their Wii.
And yet the Wii sold more software units (870 million) this gen than any other console, and had a game-to-console ration roughly equal to the 360. That suggests a lot of people were more than happy enough to keep the Wii plugged in, and to keep buying games for it. The fact that over 103 different games cleared the 1 million+ mark on Wii kinda reinforces that.

They reclaimed the throne for awhile, but they are losing again, and badly. Plus I'd really like to play Zelda/Mario/Super Smash Bro on my PS4 this gen, instead of buying an entire new console for 4 games like I did with the Wii.
If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

At this point, Sony is more likely to pull out of the hardware race than Nintendo, given their utterly woeful financials. Wishing for Nintendo exclusives to go multiplatform at this point in time is just ludicrous.
So selling AS many consoles as a 7 year old console that likely most of the people who purchased the WiiU already own is consider a WIN? Thats setting the bar REALLY low. Let's remove the rose glasses and be real, the WiiU is failing very hard right now.

Sure, lots of casuals and families with small kids have a Wii and have a few games for it, awesome! Do any of those families feel the need to upgrade to a WiiU? Doesn't appear to be the case, Nintendo itself has said this has been its biggest problem...the vast majority of the families who own a Wii aren't upgrading, they are happy with the Wii they already have.

Sony pull out? After THAT E3 showing? Not bloody likely.

I don't think its ludicrous to want Zelda and such on a console I actually WANT to own. I suppose I'll just skip this generation of Nintendo games, at least until the WiiU drops to $99 or something reasonable that I can treat it like a near disposable "toy" as Nintendo wants their games and consoles to be toys after all (nothing wrong with that, but its too expensive to be a toy)

TomPreston

Feb 9, 2010
Dragonbums said:
R0B45 said:
TomPreston said:
There's always an excuse to hate Nintendo it seems. No matter what they do right, it's never "enough" for people.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't need games to come out every week to keep me interested in my consoles. If I upgraded to a Wii-U now, I'd still have new Wii U games to play, Virtual Console titles, my inventory of WiiWare and VC titles from last generation, my entire library of Wii games (not all of which I've finished), and services like Netflix to keep me occupied until a new title that I want comes out.

Just the ability to play games away from the TV is enough for me to find entertainment out of playing the same games that I already own. I don't need a new Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc every month to keep me occupied. But the good news is those titles ARE already coming so... what's the complain about?

Has the internet just made everyone so bloody impatient that even the prospect of games being released in a few months enough for them to abandon a console who's life cycle is suppose to be 5-6 YEARS?
There is always an excuse to hate every company apparently, but you have to admit that Nintendo has done a poor job with their Wii U so far. Sure 2014 will be a nice year, but why would they bother releasing their "next gen" console so early if they don't have the software for it?
I suspect that this was a result of listening to the third party complaints of having to compete (and losing) to Nintendo's first party titles.
So they left this year wide open for any third party developer to implement their games on the WiiU without any intense competition from Mario, or cluttered up by garbage shovel ware.
However none of them took this chance. Many of them gave them the middle finger and jumped ship. Which resulted in Nintendo having a very empty line up in the first year.
Now watch as the WiiU gains a good install base. They are going to come in and make games, then complain YET AGAIN how they can't compete with Nintendo.
Pretty much what I was gonna say. Nintendo had a very good line up initially, but one by one those titles have either gone multi-plat, been delayed, or been scrapped entirely by 3rd part developers. That's not exactly Nintendo's fault nor could they have forseen it happening. It doesn't help that EA and Nintendo have always had a rocky foundation resulting in EA pulling their titles and making douchy responses like "we'll put our games on Nintendo when Nintendo proves to us they deserve it." I'm not gonna feign ignorance and pretend like Nintendo's never done anything wrong or is the best company in the world or anything, but it does largely feel like devs aren't putting games on Nintendo intentionally and then blaming Nintendo for their own stubborn laziness and poor sales.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Matthew Jabour said:
New Smash Bros. New Donkey Kong. New 3D Mario. Bayonetta. Wonderful 101. Wind Waker HD. What do these things have in common?
They're the same games you played last gen, only now with a tablet!

...Oh, you meant quality. Meh.

Nintendo sells games based on a tried-and-true formula. They know the audience they're approaching. That audience mostly precludes me because I don't care about these titles.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I think the next Nintendo product I'll buy is the next gen handheld(after 3DS) if they provide dual analog for it. I was pretty disappointed with 3DS's poor design and 1 analog. And the the circle pad pro really pissed me off. Nintendo's been pretty good about backward compatibility so I think I'll just wait. 3DS games will certainly be cheaper by then..