Google's Chrome Browser Used More Than Firefox

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
My workplace (as a deputy sheriff) forces us to use Firefox actually every entity in the county is required to use it as per policy, CPS, county seat, the courthouse everybody.
My wife's school district (she's teacher) has firefox installed on every single computer.
At home we use the google-chrome though. Lickety fast.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
There is a certain add-on that Firefox has that I won't part with. It is frowned upon to talk about that add-on here though. I will stick with Firefox until I can get that add-on in another browser and it works as flawlessly as it does in Firefox.

BTW, what is it with newer programs disabling the menu by default? I noticed it a few years ago with Windows Live Mail but it has invaded other programs (like Firefox) since then. As resolution increases the menu takes up less space, not more. Why get rid of menus now instead of when we were all running Windows 95 at 640x480?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
robert01 said:
esperandote said:

That site about eliminating IE6 mentions that they want everybody using IE9, too bad it doesn't work on XP.
They want people to move on from Windows XP. It's dated, and Windows 7 was/is a good enough OS to replace it.

OT: I use Firefox. It is my friend. I tried Google Chrome, didn't like it all the much, uninstalled it.
Windows 7 is great, but it is not for ~256 ram, ~1.2 ghz computers (specially if the processor is worn out).

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
bahumat42 said:
wow you sound so insanely snobby right now. I forgot people could be so egotistic so thanks for reminding me about that.

But on to my main point, you have offered personal preference as your whole basis for calling everyone else who doesn't use it "crude", now i'd wager many of these "crude" individuals are far more computer literate than yourself (im not saying me or anyone even in this thread, im talking the word at large) and to make such outlandish statements makes anybody reading them immediately think less of you.

But hey your just going to qq in response to this regardless of the content in the post. So enjoy :)
It's true, I'm an elitist in that I think the elite (by definition, the best) are, well, the best.

Your words, "snob", "egotistic", are weapons that the weak and mediocre use to try and contain the excellence of the excellent.

What makes me different from some elitists you may have encountered is that I believe that anyone can become excellent, I take any student who wishes to learn, I don't judge them on intelligence because I believe that willpower and curiosity are more important. To become excellent one just has to follow a path towards a higher endeavor like philosophy, mathematics, physical science, music and art, athleticism, honor and courage, beauty, creativity; everyone has the power to better themselves, and the life of self-realization is the good life, so says Aristotle.

"And if he is compelled to look straight at the light, will he not have a pain in his eyes which will make him turn away..."

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
I always loved IE8. It was great; I always found it to be the fastest (yes fastest) out of Firefox and itself, and it's interface was all laid out exactly how I liked it. It had auto-search-from-URL-bar (which I despise), but at least you can turn it off.

I was tempted with Chrome, but, the lack of control is something I do not like one bit. You can't turn off the new tab page. You can't turn off auto-search-from-ULR-bar. etc. (those two examples are the main ones which annoy me, but there are many others).

I only switched to Firefox after IE9 whose new Download Manager is hideously broken - It's OTHERWISE a great browser (that and now you cannot turn off the search-from-URL-bar thing, and I figured out how to turn it off in firefox, but that's not a simple tickbox like it was in IE8, oh no, you have to rummage through obscure about:config settings), and more than capable of going up against the other two (in my opinion), people are just biased against the brand name now.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
tigermilk said:
Greg Tito said:
Well, perhaps not exactly firmly. Chrome holds a slim lead with 25.69 percent of internet denizens using Google's slim browser, while Firefox is used by 25.23 percent - a difference of just .43 percent for those of you too lazy to pop open a calculator.
Erm, .46 percent [insert dickish perhaps you should have used a calculator joke].

EDIT: I hope this comment is taken in the light hearted way it was intended and I am not warned/suspended/banned.
Whoops, that was just a typo. Stupid hands.

Greg

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't android phones run Chrome? If so there's your deciding factor.

a ginger491

Apr 8, 2011
Yay, I helped pioneer the second most popular web browser! I can't believe how internet explorer is on top. The worst of the bunch has the most users... how does that work?

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
How can it be? I'm baffled that anyone uses Chrome. Its interface must be the worst among all browsers I've ever used.

Feb 28, 2008
I switch between my browsers whenever any of them irritate me / break. I mean IE worked fine for me until webpages started not appearing properly. Then Firefox was good until it started breaking. Then Chrome was working well until Facebook just didn't function anymore. Now I'm back with Firefox and it's going okay.

I will take whoever's ship will accommodate me...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Statcounter isn't entirely accurate, it counts raw page clicks, and doesn't try to work out actual percentages.

In real life Firefox is still ahead just,
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/12/internet-explorer-stops-its-slide-as-chrome-nears-firefox.ars?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2Findex+%28Ars+Technica+-+Featured+Content%29

Me? I was chroming but Firefox extensions just worked better

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Im considering swapping from FF to Chrome anyway. Firefox has been very laggy and horribly unstable lately, It crashes an average 3 times a day, hell IE didn't even crash that much...AND ITS IE!

My only worry is getting all the plug-ins I use, like Youtube2MP3.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
Just a note for all the Opera lovers: Speed Dial is not as good as the new tab page. That is literally what sells me on Chrome. And Firefox is fine.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Never used Chrome, used IE once and it was terribad. So im using Firefox with all the addons I need and im to stubborn to change.

Just the way I like it.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Is there any reason to go to Chrome if you're perfectly content with Firefox?

Using Firefox I'm perfectly happy with how things run. I don't experience anything that I would consider to be slowness or crashes. I'm able to bring up my favorites in tab form with ease.

I'm of the mind that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Sandor [The Hound said:
Clegane]Why is this news?

I mean it's hardly surprising.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-stupidest-internet-reactions-to-shocking-news-stories/

This is why its news jackass.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Is that because Chrome is getting tight or because Firefox is turning to crap?
Firefox has been turning to crap for 5 years.

Chrome is awesome, its easily the fastest browser I have.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Google disturbs me by getting so popular with its browser and social networking site. I WILL NOT BE A SLAVE TO THE GOOGLE GIANT!

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I would use firefox but chrome is literally the only browser that doesn't crash when I try to load youtube... I have no idea why.