"Great" games that failed to blow you away

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
666Chaos said:
oblivion, duno which one it was for the 360
That would be... Oblivion.

Games I didn't like...
Braid. Interesting, but bored me quickly.
Assassin's Creed 2. Way better than the original, but still... meh.
Batman: Arkham Asylum. Not like I didn't like it. I just stop playing and never felt compelled to continue. Still got it installed too.
Heavy Rain. It's not a game.

That's about it that I can think of.

mechazeep

Aug 31, 2008
Honestly, MegaMan. I got the original from the wii shop channel, and I didn't find anything that fun about it. It did even capture my attention enough for me to finish it.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Hubilub said:
Fallout 1 and 2.

I really can't understand how so many people can love those games.
Agreed... I could have spent those $20 on something else, dammit!

OT: Half-Life 2. It was just plain boring. It's story isn't all that great, and that's it's main selling point.
Left 4 Dead 2. I don't have any friends who bought that game, and I don't trust the douchebags on xboxlive.

Duck Sandwich

Dec 13, 2007
Halo 2 and 3 - weapon balance went out the window (yes, the pistol was overpowered in Combat Evolved, but so were a lot of other weapons), I hated how they shoved the garbage SMG's down your throat in 2, and I hated how shields completely replaced your health bar.

World of Warcraft - for pretty much the same reasons that anyone hates combat in MMO's

Grand Theft Auto 4 - I hated the combat, and I hated the cars' handling. (high speed + turn = no control of the car whatsoever)

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - While I do enjoy the game, there's a lot of flaws. The most effective way to win fights is to find the biggest throwable object nearby and pick it up and toss it at the enemy over and over again. Also, you have to charge pretty much everything. To destroy a helicopter, you have to charge your jump, then charge up your homing Superman punch (or charge your object throw if you're carrying one). Strike teams, which come after you when your threat rating (which is pretty much the equivalent of GTA's wanted system) is maxed, are easily destroyed, and when they are, your threat rating goes back down to zero.

I pretty much spent the whole time going through the story mode, which I actually liked, because of the antagonist's descent into madness, and his motives. There's something I never thought would happen. Me liking the story of a game whose selling point is "HULK SMASH!"

one of them

Jan 16, 2010
Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 2, Halo 2 and 3, and Gears of War 1. Gears of War 2 actually surprised me with it's campaign, I had a lot of fun playing it.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Hubilub said:
Fallout 1 and 2.

I would have to agree on this one. I went and played these games. People praised them for being the greatest RPG's of our time and something Fallout 3 could never live up to and I honestly was wondering if everyone who said that was collectively high while playing these games.

Another recent one for me would be Dragon Age. The game was so hyped in the commercials, that I couldnt wait to play it when it came out. I was kind of disappointed that it wasnt the best thing since sliced bread.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Battlefield 2. This may have been because by the time I bought it, servers were just full of ace pilots dogfighting across the map while flicking a hapless bomb to any infantry stupid enough to try to play the game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Portal. While I still love it, I found that GlaDOs just didn't appeal to me like she did to everyone else, and I wanted at least another two or three test chambers.

Interestingly enough, my favorite game ever is Mirror's Edge, EA's response to Portal. Don't ask me why I like ME over Portal.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hubilub said:
Fallout 1 and 2.

I think I can explain that one. In their time there were very few games that offered the player as much freedom as Fallout 1&2 did. So that is probably is largely what drew in initial fans, the rest is nostalgia.

Darwins_Folly

Jan 16, 2010
I just bought Bioshock last week because I found it used for 15 bucks. Meh. I mean, its not bad really, but definitely not Game of the Year material. I dont have the urge to stop playing it, I'm just not blown away.

The Warden

Oct 6, 2009
Aura Guardian said:
Half Life 1 and 2
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
God of War 1,2,3
Persona series
Final Fantasy series(Excluding The Crystal Chronicles).
I know there's more
Can anyone say 'Flamebait'?

OT:Fallout 1 isn't really that good, I got bored and quit, never picked it up again.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Yodobama said:
Aura Guardian said:
Half Life 1 and 2
Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2
God of War 1,2,3
Persona series
Final Fantasy series(Excluding The Crystal Chronicles).
I know there's more
Can anyone say 'Flamebait'?

OT:Fallout 1 isn't really that good, I got bored and quit, never picked it up again.
How so? So far, you're the first person that quoted me and said that.

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
Can I say almost every main stream JRPG and go? Cause that's like...a lot.

Ok Ok!!!

Halo 3 Odst,
Gears Of War
GTA
Every Final Fantasy game. (Yes, even 14. I tried it at a friends house and didn't see why so many people liked it. Probably gets better as it goes on but I gave up on it)
Please, please don't flame me for this but...Fallout 1, 2, 3. I just didn't like them much.

Tirak

Mar 10, 2010
Fallout 3, Never could get into it, and I really tried.
Half Life 2, got bored with it early on, and quit after the vehicle segment.