Gun Enthusiasts Complain About the "Call of Duty Effect"

Kamaitachi

Dec 17, 2009
Amazing, Kids think they know everything about guns because they played a video game.

I have a list of a minority of the unrealistic traits from CoD from encyclopedia dramatica.
I don't think it swears THAT much :/, sorry if it does though, its not really my fault :/

here it is :

* A dozen guys taking on every ultranationalist psycho in Zakhaev's pocket...and winning.
* Dogs taking a 5.56x45mm round to the skull and getting up as if you had only nudged them.
* Rabid dogs falling from the ceiling.
* Dirty Arabs that can shoot the top inch of your head with an AK-47 from 400 metres while firing with full auto on
* Dumbass marines thinking they're the shit by using shotguns at long range.
* Enemies calling in backup units out of brick walls.
* Firing the Desert Eagle at speeds even the Terminator could not accomplish without breaking his fucking wrist.
* Taking a point-blank Desert Eagle shot to the face, and living.
* Killing someone by hitting them in the chest with a flashbang.
* Knives that can penetrate through a player and hit the wall behind them, yet not kill them (oh wait, thats just the shitty engine they keep re-using).
* Lots of grenades - just like in a real war!
* Magic helicopter deflection shields that can block Stinger missiles.
* Respawning helicopter gunners and invincible pilots.
* Taking down a helicopter with a 9mm pistol.
* "Perks" that give the player special abilities, such as shitting out grenades after being buttraped.
* Running while firing the Barrett .50cal.
* Surviving a shot from the Barrett .50cal to the chest, but dropping dead after being grazed on the foot by a knife.
* Shitty AI that has no real tactic other than shooting and raping you.
* Teammate AI that never die.
* Shotguns that are incapable of killing someone from a range of 4 meters, even though the effective kill range for most shotguns is 90 meters.
* Switching weapons fast enough (<1 second lolwut) to kill someone who has already pumped several hundred pieces of lead into your worthless body.
* Taking several rounds to the face, ducking for ten seconds, and coming back up unharmed, or taking one 9mm round to the foot and dying in Hardcore mode.
* Unusually large amount of gore.

Osaka-chaness

Jul 4, 2009
MorsePacific said:
This seems pretty common, actually. The problem is that while games may spark an initial interest in firearms, people don't want to even bother learning about real ones.

Although, there are occasionally those whose interest is sparked by it and they then pursue shooting as a hobby, as I did. I did pursue my interest, though, and now I go to the range with my dad very regularly.
*raises hand* I don't have the cash for it at the moment, but once I do (and a permit of course), I'm going to try with my interest. It's as close as I can get to guns without joining the army >.>

Kamaitachi

Dec 17, 2009
Harrier Attack:

Kid #1: "What the f*ck was that?"

Kid #2: "Harrier attack, man."

Kid #1: "What's a harrier attack?"

Kid #2: "I'm not sure what it stands for, but you can send in this big ass plane that can hover and it shoots like everyone."

Kid #1: "Why don't they call it a plane strike?"

EMP (EMT):

Kid #1: "My dad just played the EMT level."

Kid #2: "What's an EMT?"

Kid #1: "It's like a nuke that kills your cell phone and sh*t."

Kid #2: "Thank f*cking God they kept it out of multiplayer."

Young Woman: "Yeah, how would we use our tactical cell phone perk?"

Kid #2: "Shut the f*ck up, b*tch."

F*ggot:

Kid #1: "Stop f*cking vetoing every match, you f*cking f*ggot.

Kid #2: "You're the f*cking f*ggot."

Kid #1: "You don't even know what f*ggot means."

Kid #2: "It means you f*ck your mother, f*ggot."

Kid #1: "No dude, it means you're f*cking retarded."

Young Man: "I don't think it means either of those."

Frosty:

Kid #1: "So my brother told me why they say 'Get Frosty.'"

Kid #2: "Like, stay cool."

Kid #1: "No, it means... wait, what did you say?"

Kid #2: "It means stay cool."

Kid #1: "He says it means you got to like work together, like it takes a lot of people to build a snowman, but yours makes a lot more sense."

Glock:

Kid #1: "What's a glock?"

Kid #2: "It's like a pistol machine gun."

Kid #1: "Sounds stupid."

Kid #2: "Mine has a red sight. It's badass."

Kid #1: "So does mine."

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SilentHunter7 said:
Woodsey said:
Because I don't want anyone within a 100-mile radius of me to be enthusiastic about guns.

My main problem is that gun enthusiasm is born from the public (in the States, not sure where else) en masse having the right to own a firearm.
And video game enthusiasm was born from the public having the right to play video games. You have a problem with that?

And I don't want anyone within 100 miles of me to be enthusiastic about Twilight, but they are. Just because you don't get it, that doesn't mean they are someone to look down on, or that they are somehow lesser people than you. You'd think someone posting on a forum focused on a media which is constantly derided as childish would understand that.
I don't think they're childish, and I understand it. My main reason for concern is that I don't agree with civilians en masse being allowed to handle guns. Its that law in the states which generates the enthusiasm in the first place.

Doesn't America have one of the largest gun-crime rates in the world?

I had a feeling the video game argument would be used, but it doesn't work. With games, I think we can all agree that none of us are raving lunatics. The same goes for gun enthusiasts. The difference is, with guns, deadly accidents can/will/do happen. And if everyone has the right to own a gun, then those that are denied that right (but still want one for dastardly deeds) will find it much easier to get one.

My depression is at how the phrase came to be in the first place.

Besides, given that most Twilight fans are girls of my age, I'm sure I could manage with a few of them near by.

[small]Note: Just to add, I don't doubt people who are gun enthusiasts as being some of the safest people to handle a gun, nor do I patronise them for their interest. I just don't feel that anyone should be enthusiastic about an object designed to kill other people.[/small]

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Everyone here says that the recoil on guns would dissuade most people from using them, but at the age of 6 I was able to fire my father's rifle quite easily without hurting my shoulder or being thrown back in any way (My father was in the RSPCA and more often than not, he would have to put down an animal with a single shot to the head)

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Bob_F_It said:
Golden test: tell me what to do in a misfire, and I'll pass you as competant.
Clear the chamber, eject the magazine, then inspect by looking right into the barrel?

Just kidding about the looking down the barrel part.

the cause is usually either a defective round, or an improper loading of said magazine.

I think, I'd like to know if I'm competent Bob, please let me know.

Drexler

Nov 20, 2009
Tomster595 said:
The Youth Counselor said:
Tomster595 said:
The Youth Counselor said:
I watch Future Weapons clips on Youtube, and in every video you have some COD player chiming in with their expert opinion.

"AA12 isn't good shotgun. 1887's are better."

"FN F2000 sucks. M4 with red dot sights are the best!"
Epic lol at the shotgun comment
Sad part is that isn't even an exaggeration. Every video is full of them!

For example, look at the comments to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c
You're not kidding.. found this on a related video regarding the Barret .50 caliber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNW3EBxfhbY):

"intervention&#65279; is better (IRL)"

The intervention is accually a better rifle, the Barrett 50 is more anti-vhecial and equipment rifle, the intervention has been designed to be as accurate as possible and as powerful as possible, combinded with the shooting computer, i think's its the best sniper platform in the world.

Drexler

Nov 20, 2009
Woodsey said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Woodsey said:
Because I don't want anyone within a 100-mile radius of me to be enthusiastic about guns.

My main problem is that gun enthusiasm is born from the public (in the States, not sure where else) en masse having the right to own a firearm.
And video game enthusiasm was born from the public having the right to play video games. You have a problem with that?

And I don't want anyone within 100 miles of me to be enthusiastic about Twilight, but they are. Just because you don't get it, that doesn't mean they are someone to look down on, or that they are somehow lesser people than you. You'd think someone posting on a forum focused on a media which is constantly derided as childish would understand that.
I don't think they're childish, and I understand it. My main reason for concern is that I don't agree with civilians en masse being allowed to handle guns. Its that law in the states which generates the enthusiasm in the first place.

Doesn't America have one of the largest gun-crime rates in the world?

I had a feeling the video game argument would be used, but it doesn't work. With games, I think we can all agree that none of us are raving lunatics. The same goes for gun enthusiasts. The difference is, with guns, deadly accidents can/will/do happen. And if everyone has the right to own a gun, then those that are denied that right (but still want one for dastardly deeds) will find it much easier to get one.

My depression is at how the phrase came to be in the first place.

Besides, given that most Twilight fans are girls of my age, I'm sure I could manage with a few of them near by.

[small]Note: Just to add, I don't doubt people who are gun enthusiasts as being some of the safest people to handle a gun, nor do I patronise them for their interest. I just don't feel that anyone should be enthusiastic about an object designed to kill other people.[/small]

Guns are tools mate, I'm enthusiastic about shooting because it's fun, it's interesting and it's a challenge, (like gaming)

Diet Chaos

Aug 21, 2009
Yeeeeeeeeah, I don't know the first thing about firearms, military-issue or otherwise.
Granted, I do know that you wouldn't be able to get a Left 4 Dead-esque fire rate with any weapon that's not automatic. That's just crazy.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Gamers being interested about weapons is normal and nothin scary about that.
Generally its just a quick search of google n wiki n thats about it.
Now . . . . criminals learning about some weapons n then trying to obtain em...thats scary....n its scary cuz they can learn it from games -_-`

fictional weapons FTW

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
Bob_F_It said:

Amazing how some people blur the line between games and reality. I'm surprised that Forza hasn't turned everyone into racing pros.
1. Put the weapon on safe 2. remove magazine 3. clear the chamber 4. dispose of the round.

Neurowaste

Apr 4, 2008
I have been shooting since I was 11 and had never heard of Call of Duty back then obviously. I'm not one of those people that rage over people thinking they're gun experts because they play any FPS', but it does get annoying when you have somebody walk up to you at a gun show and ask you "Do you sell Barret .50 cal silenced? lololololll!!11! (yes i actually had this happened, as i shoot competitively in international competitions, i have been sponsored by Izhmash weapons company for about 3 years so I am obligated to attend these events to promote their products.) But still, leave their people to their own stupidity and hope to god they never get a hold of a gun in their life, other than that, don't start raging, or else you have been trolled good people.

P.S. Yes i am an avid Call of Duty player so I can understand why people would come to think they know guns from this game.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Diet Chaos said:
Yeeeeeeeeah, I don't know the first thing about firearms, military-issue or otherwise.
Granted, I do know that you wouldn't be able to get a Left 4 Dead-esque fire rate with any weapon that's not automatic. That's just crazy.
How would you know that if you don't know the first thing about firearms? :p

This is what a fast competition shooter looks like:
Many games - Crysis comes to mind - seem to think that slow and clunky weapon handling is "realism", and end up being not just a clunky and unexciting game but also glaringly unrealistic to anyone who has an idea of the real thing.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
Bob_F_It said:

Amazing how some people blur the line between games and reality. I'm surprised that Forza hasn't turned everyone into racing pros.
Wait thirty seconds then eject the cartridge =P

Edit: That's with a bolt action rifle, not an Assault rifle. Might be more steps with an AR.