Hacker Group Promises Doom for Sony

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
See, like I said before, I don't know which is scarier; the fact that Sony was incompetent enough to be hacked to the degree it was, or that the hackers are competent enough to hack to the degree they did.

These people are operating on an extremely warped sense of justice. Yeah, let's take down a massive corporation by attacking the customers. That will certainly teach them not to mess with our stuff! Please, fuck off hackers, I, and several million people, just want to play our goddamn games. Don't go after the consumer for participating in capitalism. What they're doing is, in essence, terrorism. Again, I say fuck off.

It's the equivalent of punching a bully's victim for him, all it does is make you look like a bigger asshole than the bully by comparison.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Well they announced the attack so they are going for publicity so I'm betting this is some stupid stunt by them and may easily end with them getting caught if they do anything in the first place. This isn't some secretly hack sony to steal data like the first one.

Castratikron

Apr 15, 2009
Oh yeah I totally believe these guys are the real deal. After all, what super secret badass hackers WOULDN'T have a twitter?

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
I don't really care, nothing they do will be of consequence in the long run. I prefer to ignore petulant children, instead of giving them center stage.

TheAngryMonkey

Nov 18, 2009
Arehexes said:
TheAngryMonkey said:
I guess one thing we know, English isn't their first language.

That's Ingreish, they are speaking.

"All Your Base Are Belong To LULZSEC."
It's a old joke about a game called Zero Wing where the line was "All your base are belong to us".
Ahh, thanks for the info.

TheAngryMonkey

Nov 18, 2009
Pyro Paul said:
TheAngryMonkey said:
I guess one thing we know, English isn't their first language.

That's Ingreish, they are speaking.

"All Your Base Are Belong To LULZSEC."
that is a meme...
just like how nyun cat is a meme
just like 'umadbro faic man' is a meme.

it all rings of unorginiality to me.
Ahh, thanks for the info.

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
Fuck you Lulzsack. Let me play my fine, fine SoE titles without any disturbances.
(That doesn't include DC Universe, I said FINE TITLES.)

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Lulzsec. Oh god. This is just pathetic. These guys watch too much tv. "The beginning of the end" really? Just. Wow.

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
Normally I have nothing against hackers but this is just getting ridiculous, do they have nothing else to do with their lives? I'm glad that I own both systems as that means I can still play online, if I just had the PS3 I'd be hella pissed off.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
I don't own any Sony products, but I'm getting really really sick of this. Don't these hackers have any PS3 users on their team? After the PSN attack, they're not going to get any support, not even from the gamers they're supposedly representing. Are they doing this out of boredom or because they think it's cool now?

ChaosReaver

Sep 4, 2009
So who watches the watchmen?

I honestly wish I could ask Manning and Assange how they felt about people pulling stunts like this in their name to get attention. Is this Assange had in mind when he started wikileaks? Is this how Manning wanted to be helped while being allegedly tortured by his own government?

As for lulzec's motives, it's simple, they have none. They just want to cause as much trouble as they can, no matter who gets caught in the crossfire all in the name of some cheap thrills. They are not justified in this attack, they are going about this all the wrong way if this was a real attack (I'm not a hacker, but to me common sense says don't make a twitter account for my secret group, don't make it publicized, don't go after a relatively unbiased public news network, and don't make my entire gimmick some lame internet meme to appeal to internet users. I mean really why not go with Hydra, or SPECTER, or ODESSA, something mysterious and cool sounding.), and from what I can tell, it's just some poorly thought out publicity stunt being pulled for their 15 minutes of fame.

And before someone chimes in with "U mad bro?" I'm going to right out answer, no, I'm not mad. I'm disappointed that some people with the mental maturity of pubescent school boys decided to screw over millions of people out of a totally misguided and an arbitrarily stupid sense of "justice."

eNTi said:
i approve of this.
I have to ask, what do you mean by this? Do you approve of what they're doing? Do you approve of the anti-hacker sentiments that lulzec's actions are bringing about?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I think some people are not getting it.

Let me explain:

To hurt a major company like Sony you can either due one of two things, or perhaps both. You can go after it's physical assets and resources, or you can go after it's money and abillity to make money. Generally speaking there is no way to do the latter that isn't going to affect consumers, since the bottom line is to prevent the target company from getting their money, which measn denying them the abillity to spend their money and give it to the company in question even if they want to.

I think this is over a bit more than just GeoHotz, which is why their settlement with him didn't end it. This is over the same issue GeoHotz was involved in though, which had to do with sony taking away a feature from their consoles that they had paid for. Sony's invocation of their "TOS Agreement" and how it should be binding even if money changed hands before it was visible (and all kinds of other arguements) has also made that an issue, because at the
heart of the arguement is Sony argueing that you do not own the property you paid for, and they can do whatever they want to it, at any time, without you having any say in the matter.

The point here is to kind of get Sony to lose enough money where it's either forced off the Internet and loses access to that revenue stream permanantly, or make it apologize, return the other OS option, and concede that people do indeed own their property and that they relinquish any claim to the right to remove features.

See, it's one of those cases where while Sony might have been acting to save money by fighting piracy, like most attempts to do this, they stepped wll over the lines of acceptable content by hurting millions of legitimate users for their own personal financial gain. The pirates might have been stealing from them, but they were stealing from you. Sony went further than even the worst DRM to date.

As a result, it's one of those things where I really can't agree with the hackers, and yes I find not being able to fully use my PS-3 annoying, but at the same time I can't agree with Sony either. Personally I would have much rather seen the goverment do something, but it wasn't going to, or for them to lose in the civil court system, but with them holding all of the legal cards by employing all the experts in the relevent areas of law at least to the point of causing a conflict of interst... that just wasn't going to happen either. The civil court system has long since ceased to be a valid way of the average person to get justice from exploitive corperations. The average guy just can't afford it when you don't consider other cocnerns as well.

I'm one of those who pretty much takes a "sit back and watch the show" approach to the whole sordid affair.

-

As far as the comments about this kind of thing being declared terrorism, beyond any concerns over this issue, that is the last thing we need. I've seen this before, and most recently when looking at the Twitter response.

See, I am a general supporter of The Patriot Act and Homeland Security, but I believe that one of the biggest dangers has always been on keeping this focused on foreign and cultural terrorism. We're already seeing it slip far more into the domestic sector than it should be, and being used for things that are well out of context to an attack on our goverment or society by a foreign nation, or a specific identifiable culture. Using anti-terrorism laws and manpower in service of a business interest is a very, very, bad idea, that isn't what things like this were intended for. If we continue down this path any crime on a large scale or affecting a large group of people will be labeled terrorism, and that's not a good thing. Right now the hackers have not done anything but attack a private business, so as a result acting as if it's a terrorist attack is irrelevent. What's more there is a huge differant between "OMG, I can't buy DLC for my video games" and someone blowing you up. As time goes on and people are increasingly tempted to use anti-terrorism laws for matters like this, we're bringing a lot of trouble upon ourselves. The last thing we need is for private businesses to expect federal goverment mobilization when they start losing money.

I'll also point out that for those screaming the inhumanity of this whole thing, understand that this is petty compared to if someone had decided to go after Sony's assets and decided to say blow up a couple of their corperate campuses with Mcveigh specials (Fertilizer bombs). In such a case we'd have reason to be considerably more upset than what we're seeing here. Really all Sony has to do to end this in all likelyhood is to say they are sorry, and concede people's control over their own property which is far from being some horrible thing.